Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Try running NMM as admin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/60453/ (farts)
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/46043/ (pottys)

My immersion! It is sickeningly complete!

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

gently caress it, I just want to mod everything about this game! What should I install? :unsmigghh:
In addition to the OP and the advice of people in this very thread, this list/guide might prove to be a very useful tool to people interested in modding New Vegas into oblivion (no pun intended).

I'm a big retarded baby and this is exactly what I've always been looking for. This modding poo poo has always been too overwhelming for me (and I'm too stupid/lazy to figure it out) but this guide is awesome.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Getting the itch to rebuild my install. Wasn't there some goon that was retrofitting Lombard Station? Did he ever finish it?

Also, TTW. This lets me go back and forth & etc. but can someone tell me the point? Does it slow your levelling or is pacing just totally off the chain?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It has a plug in that you can use that tweaks exp gain, but even with it I swear it isn't enough. I'm already level 41 and I still got OWB, Lonesome Road, Point Lookout AND Broken Steel to finish.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I really like doing tale of two wastelands with that mod that levels you based on which skills you use like elder scrolls. Bonus: sets your in-game level real high to get rid of leveled encounters if you please.

Oh yeah, it's called "Practice Makes Perfect"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Raygereio posted:

Don't think so. According to their TOS mega deletes copyrighted files, but the file was still up on my mega account. Just the link to it didn't work anymore for some weird reason.
Just checked the link to the other files I dumped on mega. Here are updated ones for Unified Backpack mod & Lombard Station. The others still work.

Interesting. I'll update these links when I get home tonight.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

physeter posted:

Getting the itch to rebuild my install. Wasn't there some goon that was retrofitting Lombard Station? Did he ever finish it?

Nope, he kinda got a life so :rip:

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

I had a TWW run going and recently when opening my FOMM it just fails to open. No error, just nothing. I tried reinstalling it but that doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone else know what causes this?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Capn Beeb posted:

Nope, he kinda got a life so :rip:

Kind of like me and the next update to WNM. TBH, I'm tempted to throw everything together, half finished or not, and toss it out the door. Let the community finish what it will. I honestly don't give a gently caress about FNV, modding it, or maintaining one of the most popular weapon packs for it any more.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm getting itchy for some Fallout action and 4 is still too far away. Is Tale of Two Towns good? I looked at the setup instructions here and they're involved. I've modded Skyrim a fair bit, but never did any major mods with Fallout.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

LLSix posted:

I'm getting itchy for some Fallout action and 4 is still too far away. Is Tale of Two Towns good? I looked at the setup instructions here and they're involved.
TTW is pretty good. I'd say it's the best way to play FO3 even. In my experience it's been more stable then FO3.
I've no idea what that step guide told you, but there's nothing involved about installing TTW. All you have to do it launch TWW's installer, point it towards your FO3 & F:NV installation and have it generate TTW's files. Once it's finished, you install the files (or .fomod if you had the installer generate one) like any other mod.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 12, 2015

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007

Naky posted:

Kind of like me and the next update to WNM. TBH, I'm tempted to throw everything together, half finished or not, and toss it out the door. Let the community finish what it will. I honestly don't give a gently caress about FNV, modding it, or maintaining one of the most popular weapon packs for it any more.

I don't think you fully grasp the LOVE that is hurled shamelessly in your direction. Seriously. Marry me.
:circlefap:

edit: love

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Raygereio posted:

TTW is pretty good. I'd say it's the best way to play FO3 even. In my experience it's been more stable then FO3.
I've no idea what that step guide told you, but there's nothing involved about installing TTW. All you have to do it launch TWW's installer, point it towards your FO3 & F:NV installation and have it generate TTW's files. Once it's finished, you install the files (or .fomod if you had the installer generate one) like any other mod.

That you for saying that. I'm actually curious about the mod everything instructions at the bottom of the 2nd OP post. I've just been assuming that as long as I'm mixing both games together, I might as well go for a megamod too, especially since I've already beaten both games.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I want to mod everything about this game, but I also want it to involve everything from Fallout 3 (a la A Tale of Two Wastelands!) :unsmigghh: :getin:
Then look no further than this list/guide...

Followed this guide and everything looks like its up and running okay. Only took about 6 hours, but I skipped a bunch of the resolution mods because I couldn't figure out how to merge patches together and there's a bunch of mods that change the graphics for one that you might see once and that doesn't seem like a good use of a mod slot.

Going to go through the goon list of mods and see what I missed. Probably add some gameplay mods since there are hardly any in that mega mod.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
My suggestion, get a few more radio station mods.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Does any one of the most popular mods alter items' weight as a side effect? I made a new installation and installed couple dozen mods without bothering to test them first, and now most items weigh different than they should (generally less), and I have no idea which mod causes that. I'd rather not uninstall everything and go through the tedium of installation again.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."

steinrokkan posted:

Does any one of the most popular mods alter items' weight as a side effect? I made a new installation and installed couple dozen mods without bothering to test them first, and now most items weigh different than they should (generally less), and I have no idea which mod causes that. I'd rather not uninstall everything and go through the tedium of installation again.

I know that jsawyer.esp overhaul reduces the weight of armor, some weapons, ammo, stims and survival items to help with the mod's reduced carry weight. http://fallout.gamepedia.com/JSawyer details the changes (just CTRL+F 'weight').

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Is there any way to figure out which mod is causing crashes other than trial and error? My nvac.log file is completely cryptic, but at least it's not an Out of Memory error. I either freeze, CTD, or get stuck on the loading screen about 20-30 minutes into the game. With CASM it's not the end of the world but its still very annoying.

My mods are everything listed on the Fear and Loathing page. LOOT and FNVEdit both report no issues.

I did the iNumHwThreads tweak, Heap management in NVSE, and I'm using Enboost. Windows 10, i7 4700k, 780ti 3 GB, 8 GB system memory.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Nostrum posted:

Is there any way to figure out which mod is causing crashes other than trial and error? My nvac.log file is completely cryptic, but at least it's not an Out of Memory error. I either freeze, CTD, or get stuck on the loading screen about 20-30 minutes into the game. With CASM it's not the end of the world but its still very annoying.

My mods are everything listed on the Fear and Loathing page. LOOT and FNVEdit both report no issues.

I did the iNumHwThreads tweak, Heap management in NVSE, and I'm using Enboost. Windows 10, i7 4700k, 780ti 3 GB, 8 GB system memory.

are you running the 4gb executable as well?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Gyshall posted:

are you running the 4gb executable as well?

Yes I am. I just found that NVSE has an error logging function, so I'll enable that and see how it goes.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Figured it out. Somewhere along the way I hosed up some installation files. Verify integrity on Steam, now it seems fine.

On a side note, is there any rhyme or reason to which settings actually do anything between fallout.ini and falloutprefs.ini?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

My suggestion, get a few more radio station mods.

That's a good idea. I remember liking Conelrad so I'll probably pick that up. Are there any other good standalone radio stations? The rest in the op modify stations that won't be available in the first half of my TTW playthrough I think.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Are there any mods that allow you to 'discover' locations on your map by viewing them through binoculars or heavy scopes? Not necessarily to explore them so you can fast travel, but to just mark them on your map for future reference? I know they kind of use a mechanic like that when you have Follow-Chalk with you on certain vistas and I thought it would be an interesting idea.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Not that i know of, but the Nexus is a big place. Its a neat idea though.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
With the stutter eliminator. What is the name of the .ini file that gets created so that I can reincrease the frame rates? All I have found so far is the log.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 19, 2015

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
Can anyone give me some tips to starting with Robco Certified? I think I missed some of the in-game docs because I can't seem to repair anything. Whenever I try it just says I don't have the necessary parts. I've been carrying a crap-ton of scrap to try and randomly figure it out but I'm not having much luck.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

wylker posted:

Can anyone give me some tips to starting with Robco Certified? I think I missed some of the in-game docs because I can't seem to repair anything. Whenever I try it just says I don't have the necessary parts. I've been carrying a crap-ton of scrap to try and randomly figure it out but I'm not having much luck.

Check your Data folder for a folder called Robco Perk Readmes for any information you need.

If it's not there, you need a fission and robot spare parts to repair broken robots. You can make robot spare parts at a workbench with scrap metal, scrap electronics, and a sensor module. Also if you don't like the idea of lugging around those heavy fission batteries to fix any destroyed robots you can go the mad scientist route because after creating anything using those set of perks all you need is a stimpak to revive any of your creations.

Edit:

jadebullet posted:

With the stutter eliminator. What is the name of the .ini file that gets created so that I can reincrease the frame rates? All I have found so far is the log.

sr_New_Vegas_Stutter_Remover

It should have come along with your download.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 21, 2015

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Check your Data folder for a folder called Robco Perk Readmes for any information you need.

If it's not there, you need a fission and robot spare parts to repair broken robots. You can make robot spare parts at a workbench with scrap metal, scrap electronics, and a sensor module. Also if you don't like the idea of lugging around those heavy fission batteries to fix any destroyed robots you can go the mad scientist route because after creating anything using those set of perks all you need is a stimpak to revive any of your creations.

Edit:

sr_New_Vegas_Stutter_Remover

It should have come along with your download.

Additionally, the .ini should be located in BlahBlah\Fallout New Vegas\Data\NVSE\Plugins
If it's not there, you've done something wrong and should feel bad.

Content: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/60560/

While this might be helpful in some instances, I hope a goodly number of people would be wary of downloading an executable. Wish there was some description of what the heck the changes made are ..

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mosnar posted:

Wish there was some description of what the heck the changes made are ..
Looking at the screenshot and the readme, it seems this removes certain lines the creator thinks are obsolete or redundant from the .ini and puts stuff in a different (I guess alphabetic?) order.
I have no idea what the point of it is supposed to be though. I'm pretty sure that if those lines are obsolete/redundant, then removing them won't do anything.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Rebuilt my install, can someone tell me what mod is giving me the workbench recipes for "breakdown vacuum cleaner" and various other breakdowns? Suspect it's Project Nevada, NV Interiors or AWOP, my only issue is that it has breakdown recipes for poo poo I can't pick up, and I'd like to go find whatever mod is supposed to give me that capability.

Also very surprised at the number of long-since-deleted mods from previous installs that are still ghosting around in my game. I know back in Morrowind modding days this called for registry editing, does anyone know of a method that doesn't take such drastic steps?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

physeter posted:

Rebuilt my install, can someone tell me what mod is giving me the workbench recipes for "breakdown vacuum cleaner" and various other breakdowns? Suspect it's Project Nevada, NV Interiors or AWOP, my only issue is that it has breakdown recipes for poo poo I can't pick up, and I'd like to go find whatever mod is supposed to give me that capability.
Grab FNVEdit. Have it process your loadorder, then go down your loadorder's plugins and see which one adds that recipe.

physeter posted:

Also very surprised at the number of long-since-deleted mods from previous installs that are still ghosting around in my game. I know back in Morrowind modding days this called for registry editing, does anyone know of a method that doesn't take such drastic steps?
When you uninstall via Steam, it won't remove files from the game's instalfolder you added to it. You'll need to go to where you keep your Steam games and remove the "Fallout New Vegas" folder after uninstalling F:NV if you don't want mods you added in a previous run through the game popping up when you next install the game.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
e: I have no idea where this came from

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 29, 2015

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So I'm trying out that mega step guide for the TTW full out.

Except I have no idea how to use ddot. Is there a good video guide? Or is it even worth it with 8gb ram?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Except I have no idea how to use ddot. Is there a good video guide? Or is it even worth it with 8gb ram?
Do you mean DDSopt? If so, it depends more on your VRam and what sort of textures you installed.

A lot of modders aren't that skilled at creating textures. As a result a lot of textures they created can have been saved with the wrong compression format, have unnecessary information which will cause the texture file to be way larger then it ought to be. Which in turn can cause performance troubles if you have too many of such bloated texture and the graphics card isn't up to it.
I'm pretty sure there's a guide to using DDSopt on the step wiki. Though if you have decent hardware, you could just try and see if your modded game runs fine.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nasgate posted:

So I'm trying out that mega step guide for the TTW full out.

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt

This gives a brief overview of the functions and this gives average usage examples: http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt/Use_Case_Examples

Generally speaking it's a good idea to optimize the Vanilla Textures but this Nexus link has the already optimized textures if you don't want to do it yourself.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Anyone ever had the strange issue of being able to see through walls and objects while indoors? Game works fine outdoors, just wondering before i start going through my mods to find the culprit.

edit: was fixed by completely disabling steam overlay in game.

Delerion fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 29, 2015

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I honestly hate that TTW guide. I used it for finding TTW mods and poo poo, but it was full of contradictory mods without explanation or s complete lack of links to various mods, and has way too much poo poo in it.

Maybe its changed since then, but the only useful thing it does collate some links that are only difficult to find because the TTW website is poo poo.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

I honestly hate that TTW guide. I used it for finding TTW mods and poo poo, but it was full of contradictory mods without explanation or s complete lack of links to various mods, and has way too much poo poo in it.

Maybe its changed since then, but the only useful thing it does collate some links that are only difficult to find because the TTW website is poo poo.

Yeah, I skip over the complicated bits because most things don't seem worth it. The main giant texture replacer that requires the most effort however, seems to be an amazing addition. But lmao if I'm going to use the burning man texture replacer or other clutter texture nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The bits about condensing FO3 mods and FNV mods together are really useful. Combing Texture packs, Vurt's WFO and the like, those are super useful. But then there are just random mods thrown in there with no real reason of why you'd want them or what they do. Like, "here's some poo poo, I won't give any commentary at all, please install every mod so you will be approaching maximum mod capacity.