Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Kitchner posted:

It was a really stupid scene that could have been written tons better while getting the same point across and you won't convince me Sisko punching Q is a good thing :colbert:

It was a good scene because it was a memorable, kinectic, show-not-tell (but also tell, a TNG producer probably added that dialogue) way to put a stamp on things and let you know that this was not going to play out as yet another Picard-vs-Q samey TNG II rigmarole.

"gently caress Q, I've got poo poo to do" would be a pretty good tertiary mantra of the DS9 command staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
The punch didn't need to connect though, and Q didn't need to punch Sisko. All Sisko had to do is visibly look pissed off and swing at Q and then Q could be all like "Ash you're not like Picard".

Instead it trivialises the moment and Q himself who is practically a god.

To assert his dominance Q should have come back at night with Sisko's dead wife, revived her and then cucked Sisko for making him look a fool before sending his wife back to the right time line (dead).

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You keep falling back on Q as having a power-motive. There is none. he's just bored. He loved getting punched. He loved having cause to react to it. He made a nose for Sisqo to punch as he knew he would when he had his space-breakfast that morning. That's what gives him a Q-boner. Being mildly amused at trivial poo poo and getting to be mawkish for a few hours at people in jumpsuits.

Think of Q as a guy under house arrest. At some point he'll invite a friend over knowingly just to start an argument because nobody talks to him much any more and he misses the drama of shouting at someone.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The writers really dropped the ball by accidentally making a Q scene come off as comedic.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Crusher was likened to a young Mozart

The crew of Voyager were literally the Kimtones.

Its amazing the ship ran at all.

That song was oddly prophetic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
q thought sisko was a fuckin chump. theres a reason he never came back to ds9

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Ambrose Burnside posted:

q thought sisko was a fuckin chump. theres a reason he never came back to ds9

The Bajorans.

Rattus Amicus
Mar 8, 2007

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The Bible posted:

The Bajorans.

If only Q would've done the Federation one final favour and chuck Bajor into the wormhole. No war with the Dominion, Bajorans get to be with their Prophets, everybody wins.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

shadow puppet of a posted:

You keep falling back on Q as having a power-motive. There is none. he's just bored. He loved getting punched. He loved having cause to react to it. He made a nose for Sisqo to punch as he knew he would when he had his space-breakfast that morning. That's what gives him a Q-boner. Being mildly amused at trivial poo poo and getting to be mawkish for a few hours at people in jumpsuits.

Think of Q as a guy under house arrest. At some point he'll invite a friend over knowingly just to start an argument because nobody talks to him much any more and he misses the drama of shouting at someone.

His entire character is him gloating about how much more civilised and advanced he is than humans.

When he first appears in TNG if Picard had tried to punch him you get the real feeling not only would it have failed but it would have proved Q exactly right about human kind. He would have sneered at the barbarian resorting to physical violence.

Instead he mocks Sisko about this, but then proceeds to comically punch Sisko in the face, before getting knocked over.

I've never seen Q as someone who would do something that physical. Yes he would goad a human into hitting him sure, but only to prove himself right, he doesn't need to actually be hit in order to realise he succeeded in making someone lose their temper.

I think actually having Q hit Sisko and Sisko hit Q takes a lot away from this, because it takes away from his aloof sneering tone when trying to wind up humans into getting angry, but instead makes it a slap stick joke.

You honestly don't think it would be better if Q had never hit Sisko, but instead merely gave him the opportunity and goaded him until Sisko lashed out, at which point he missed but Q smugly took pride in making him lash out and compared him to Picard?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Sisko punched Q because it was cool and good and this is a stupid argument

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Look at you all with your wrong opinions. Probably Americans who think a joke isn't funny unless someone gets hit with a bucket of whitewash and a movie isn't complete without the good guy winning.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I heard that guy got his own spin off sitcom in 'murica. I don't think we got it over here but then all I watched back then was The Simpsons.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You're being really obsessive over this poo poo, even my dumb rear end let the stupid Tuvix thing go eventually, rather than constantly poo poo up the thread with it. You could make the same grognard argument against a lot of the lighter bits of DS9, but... instead, how about you don't?

Besides, it gave us Avery Brooks' best reaction face.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rutibex posted:

yeah, and they killed them before they could turn the super warp drive off. they still have it by the end of the episode, they make no attempt to say it broke or anything, so presumably the federation should have been able to copy the technology

It's sitting in Section 31's secret warehouse with Ezri's wallhack rifle and the Ark of the Covenant.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

counterfeitsaint posted:

You're being really obsessive over this poo poo, even my dumb rear end let the stupid Tuvix thing go eventually, rather than constantly poo poo up the thread with it. You could make the same grognard argument against a lot of the lighter bits of DS9, but... instead, how about you don't?

Lol at comparing like 6 posts over 2 pages to the war and peace philosophical treatese that lasted for days about Tuvix.

Apprently that's all that is required to "poo poo up a thread" these days is half a dozen posts over a few pages discussing something with the OP of the thread.

The reaction face is good though.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe Q isn't as powerful as he claims to be? I mean, if I was a highly advanced alien, I'd probably lie to a lesser life form about what I can do too.

"Oh yeah, I'm like all-knowing and poo poo, whatever. Not like you can ever disprove it. Blah blah magic powers blah blah humans are not worthy, y'know the drill."

Sisko punches Q because Q is a little dipshit who in his extreme arrogance would never even consider the possibility that a mere human would actually dare to strike him. He's not the Judeo-Christian God, he's like...Hermes or something. Kind of a little shitheel divinity who gets into trouble now and then when he underestimates a mortal and/or tries to gently caress their wife.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I don't know if we covered this, but the guy who plays Damar has a job making videos for the Paso Robles wine industry and they are pretty awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVaNxB5TN2M

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm glad Sisko punched Q and he hosed off, leaving DS9 largely free of omnipotent beings post season 1. He should've beat the living poo poo out of Rumpelstiltskin for reducing poor O'Brien to a caricature of an Irish villager.

e: ^^^yeah there was a drinkin' noir with damar gif in the last trek thread.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Its funny how a major plot point in DS9 is the fact that omnipotent beings live right outside the station but it never really just pointlessly falls back on them as a story crutch. It would be so drat easy to just go "uhhh... then the gods do stuff"

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Clark Nova posted:

e: ^^^yeah there was a drinkin' noir with damar gif in the last trek thread.

my god i must have this

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Gutcruncher posted:

Its funny how a major plot point in DS9 is the fact that omnipotent beings live right outside the station but it never really just pointlessly falls back on them as a story crutch. It would be so drat easy to just go "uhhh... then the gods do stuff"

This happened like five times

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
heres a post from a previous star trek thread i thoroughly enjoy

quote:

FIRST DAY AT THE OFFICE

O'Brien: So, this is Deep Space 9. I think we're going to like it here, eh Keik...

*Sisko storms into the promenade. He grabs a shopkeep at random*

Sisko: Baseball!

O'Brien: ...o?

*Sisko turns on his heels, now weeping*

Sisko: I loved her but love cannot TURN. back. TIME.

*Sisko decks a random woman then, laughing hysterically, clambers atop a table*

Sisko: JAM-BA-LA-YA!!!

O'Brien: I've made a terrible mistake.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Who do you have to piss off to get assigned to DS9 anyway?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Maybe DS9 wouldn't be constantly having repair problems in a future where any part can be replicated out of thin air if they hadn't made a noncom elevator operator the chief engineer.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Do you think Sisko's dad made some kind of crazy space-jambalaya with poo poo from Andoria or are we talking just classic andouille here?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Germstore posted:

Who do you have to piss off to get assigned to DS9 anyway?

Thinking back it seems like Sisko was the only one where this is true. Everyone else either volunteered or were brought on board for skillz.

O'brien never needs to piss anyone off to get the poo poo end of the stick.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
found it. im so happy

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I liked how Picard was sad to see O'Brien go and stuff in that deleted scene and then he telecoms him off the ship as a sign of respect.

Typical upper management, they say they appreciate you and act all sad when you say you're going but did they ever offer you a promotion or pay rise? Did they gently caress.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I somehow like O'Brien more on DS9 than on TNG

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rutibex posted:

yeah, and they killed them before they could turn the super warp drive off. they still have it by the end of the episode, they make no attempt to say it broke or anything, so presumably the federation should have been able to copy the technology

Not necessarily. Imagine you go back in time and give Benjamin Franklin an iPad (with a solar charger or something). He was a really smart guy, one of the top scientists of his day, and I think he'd figure out a lot about how to use it. He'd love the calculator app and would probably get pretty good at Candy Crush too. But he wouldn't have a hope in hell of copying the technology and building another one.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Powered Descent posted:

Not necessarily. Imagine you go back in time and give Benjamin Franklin an iPad (with a solar charger or something). He was a really smart guy, one of the top scientists of his day, and I think he'd figure out a lot about how to use it. He'd love the calculator app and would probably get pretty good at Candy Crush too. But he wouldn't have a hope in hell of copying the technology and building another one.

I don't know. He wouldn't be the only one working on it. I bet a 2015 artifact shows up in 1776, by 1900 we'd be producing integrated circuits.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Tujague posted:

I don't know if we covered this, but the guy who plays Damar has a job making videos for the Paso Robles wine industry and they are pretty awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVaNxB5TN2M

this kind of makes me wonder if he was actually acting during his tenure on DS9 or just kind of wandered onto the set

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Melchior posted:

this kind of makes me wonder if he was actually acting during his tenure on DS9 or just kind of wandered onto the set

I think when he says "wine" he means "kanar"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

yeah except in that episode they didn't so much as use their own technology, but they modified the enterprises normal warp engine (with scottys help!), so they should be able to do that to any other warp engine they have. i mean heck Spock figures out time travel from some kind of hosed up gravity thing, then in a later episode they are just in the 1960's chilling out because spock reproduced the effect.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Maybe Q isn't as powerful as he claims to be? I mean, if I was a highly advanced alien, I'd probably lie to a lesser life form about what I can do too.

the Q are quite limited, and this is made clear in the first few times he encounters Picard. Q seems genuinely scared of humans and what they would become with enough time and development. the Q have infinite material power, but are stagnant because of their attachment to the physical universe. they haven't transcended beyond to a higher reality or anything like that, and they likely see humans reaching their level in time, and surpassing it

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
That's what Wesley was doing with that child molester uhhh I mean ascended being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Melchior posted:

After having passed out in makeup for about 2 hours and woke up a spoonhead.

• Locked thread