Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The Samsung T839 was great. Though I haven't bought a Samsung since because they said at launch they'd upgrade it past Android 2.2 and then was like "We're Samsung you'll maybe get an update if it's under a year old, otherwise get hosed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sidekicks were the shiiiit, I'd kill for a phone like that again, just bigger.

Like way bigger.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I loved the Android Sidekick. How is it gone and Blackberry is still around. :iiam:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Dr_Amazing posted:

I remember really wanting a Samsung SPH-N270

Way way back in TYOOL 2002 Sony Ericsson made touch-screen phones (for use with a stylus) that had a semi-flip cover that acted as a physical keyboard so it looked like a candybar phone. It was bulky as poo poo and ran on Symbian, but it let you choose whether you wanted to use actual buttons or not:

Cover off:

Cover on, closed

Cover on, open

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I loved my old Razr phone, man that was thin.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Early 00s attempts at touchscreens are so endearing. I loathe Steve Jobs' place in the world but one thing he was dead right on-- no consumer on earth will get involved with a touch-screen if the world "stylus" is mandatory.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Early 00s attempts at touchscreens are so endearing. I loathe Steve Jobs' place in the world but one thing he was dead right on-- no consumer on earth will get involved with a touch-screen if the world "stylus" is mandatory.

Welp, that explains why the DS crashed and burned.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Welp, that explains why the DS crashed and burned.

The DS has a shitload of games that don't need a stylus for anything.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Was it worth the rush even if you skipped over the word "mandatory"? Cause it looks like you skipped over the word "mandatory."

You can get away with not using a stylus on the DS until you're deep into a game that suddenly pulls out the stylus for a minigame. That was the point. If you start talking about an accessory first thing people immediately turn off. "Why am I holding this ugly wand right away? I thought this thing could sense my fingers like in the Star Trek. Isn't that the point? Ugh this isn't ready."

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

mind the walrus posted:

Was it worth the rush even if you skipped over the word "mandatory"? Cause it looks like you skipped over the word "mandatory."

You can get away with not using a stylus on the DS until you're deep into a game that suddenly pulls out the stylus for a minigame. That was the point. If you start talking about an accessory first thing people immediately turn off. "Why am I holding this ugly wand right away? I thought this thing could sense my fingers like in the Star Trek. Isn't that the point? Ugh this isn't ready."

That and you can just use your finger on the DS if you want, it works just fine and I usually do that on games where touch controls are only required sporadically.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The original DS even came with a weird plastic thumb pad on the strap if you needed more accuracy than a finger but didn't want to mess with the stylus. I personally thought it was great but I never saw anyone else using it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Ryoshi posted:

The original DS even came with a weird plastic thumb pad on the strap if you needed more accuracy than a finger but didn't want to mess with the stylus. I personally thought it was great but I never saw anyone else using it.

:aaa:

Eleven loving years, man. You've blown my mind.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

It was great but it didn't come with the Lite and I was sad for missing out :(

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

:aaa:

Eleven loving years, man. You've blown my mind.
Does no one read manuals anymore? :(

Page 9 of the Nintendo DS instruction booklet posted:

Using the Nintendo DS Wrist Strap

The wrist strap has a small plastic pad attached to it that can also be used on the Touch Screen. This pad is designed for use on games that work better with a sliding type of control.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Hirayuki posted:

I was a young and excited teenager. I probably made it to the part where they showed how to turn it on, and stopped there.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Ryoshi posted:

I independently invented that for my roommate who had a later-model DS. Cut up an old credit card and bent it into something similar to a thumb pick for a guitar, except with the point in line with the thumb.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Hirayuki posted:

Like anyone read manuals before.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
This brand name makes me laugh whenever I see it

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

I completely agree with you - what makes it worse is I've had delicious tasting food cooked off a Smeg - they're like the Gucci of cooking applicances in Australia (well at least in 2007).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

auzdark posted:

I completely agree with you - what makes it worse is I've had delicious tasting food cooked off a Smeg - they're like the Gucci of cooking applicances in Australia (well at least in 2007).

Are you saying that Smeg makes your food taste better?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

auzdark posted:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

spog posted:

Are you saying that Smeg makes your food taste better?

They've got a whole "Cooking with Smeg" section of their website so I'd assume so.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
e - wrong thread

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Coke even when it's not that brand.

This is fairly limited to one specific region.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So I just got this flyer from Chic-fil-a

I mean, I get what they're going for, but uh.... that's a little awkward. I'm not the only one who thinks so right?

Innocent or creepy?

Also the mixing of uppercase and lowercase letters is giving me a brain hemorrhage.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

No way dude that is sketchy as gently caress

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean, I get what they're going for, but uh.... that's a little awkward. I'm not the only one who thinks so right?

Innocent or creepy?

Also the mixing of uppercase and lowercase letters is giving me a brain hemorrhage.

My elementary school did a ball where dads take their daughters. I'm not exactly sure what goes on there as I don't have a sister and it isn't a dad/son sort of thing. So I'm saying innocent.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Innocent or creepy?

You haven't heard of the phrase 'purity ball' before? Because if you haven't, you are in for a treat of creepy poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tempest_56 posted:

You haven't heard of the phrase 'purity ball' before? Because if you haven't, you are in for a treat of creepy poo poo.

Oh god, I just googled.

Its even worse than I imagined. (well, not as bad as one possibility I guess :v:)

I knew being chic-fil-a it had to be some conservative christian values thing.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh god, I just googled.

Its even worse than I imagined. (well, not as bad as one possibility I guess :v:)

No, no, I wouldn't give up on your first instincts there too quickly.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Len posted:

My elementary school did a ball where dads take their daughters. I'm not exactly sure what goes on there as I don't have a sister and it isn't a dad/son sort of thing. So I'm saying innocent.

Right but that was surely called a "father-daughter dinner dance" or similar, not "date night"?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

It is a Weird Thing in American culture that fathers and daughters are treated as some sort of hosed-up quasi-incestual-fantasy thing sometimes. I haven't really thought about it before as I am not a father or a daughter but I remember watching a father's dance at a wedding and thinking, wait, she dances with the groom and her dad, why those two? As I type, it probably has more to do with patriarchal roots than anything incestual but it still made me uncomfortable and I got way drunker than I needed to and cut a rug to "American Pie"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Paineopticon posted:

It is a Weird Thing in American culture that fathers and daughters are treated as some sort of hosed-up quasi-incestual-fantasy thing sometimes. I haven't really thought about it before as I am not a father or a daughter but I remember watching a father's dance at a wedding and thinking, wait, she dances with the groom and her dad, why those two? As I type, it probably has more to do with patriarchal roots than anything incestual but it still made me uncomfortable and I got way drunker than I needed to and cut a rug to "American Pie"

I think it's more like a backdoor way of getting a father and daughter to spend time together one on one. I only have daughters so if I want to lavish attention on a child all I've got are girls - but maybe it's different when you have sons also. This is an opportunity for the girl to have maybe half a hour of uninterrupted time with her father.

I used to take my girls to Daddy/Daughter dances for Girl Scouts and I can assure you there is absolutely nothing sexual about doing the Electric Slide in a crowded gym with 100 dads and their daughters. Except for the 18 year in a short party dress who really probably should have aged out of Girl Scouts several years before. That is awkward to watch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

I used to take my girls to Daddy/Daughter dances for Girl Scouts and I can assure you there is absolutely nothing sexual about doing the Electric Slide in a crowded gym with 100 dads and their daughters. Except for the 18 year in a short party dress who really probably should have aged out of Girl Scouts several years before. That is awkward to watch.

Sure, but if your Girl Scouts troop called it a "Date Night" I would be similarly uncomfortable :stonk:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

sweeperbravo posted:

Right but that was surely called a "father-daughter dinner dance" or similar, not "date night"?

I think it's the Cinerdella Ball?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Paineopticon posted:

The father-daughter dance at a wedding, as a tradition, is a way of saying goodbye. "Now that you have another man in your life, you don't need me to take care of you anymore," and "Thanks for everything dad but I'm an adult now."

(not an endorsement of the patriarchy or whatever, just an explanation)

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
For what it's worth, all the weddings I've been to recently also had a mother/son dance too. I personally find them both a little weird but my family is not the get close/touch type.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
That kind of stuff sounds kinda cute (bring your daughter to work day etc) but calling it a date is weird and of course the idea of those purity things is weird as poo poo.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The father-daughter dance at a wedding, as a tradition, is a way of saying goodbye. "Now that you have another man in your life, you don't need me to take care of you anymore," and "Thanks for everything dad but I'm an adult now."

Which is all well and good, but somehow it's generally accepted to pick songs explicitly about romantic love/lust :gonk:

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 21:36 on Sep 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The weirdest part is going to a daddy-daughter dance/ "date night" that's sponsored by a fast-food restaurant. A cheeseburger-themed ball seems like the exact opposite of classy.