Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Boten Anna posted:

If you enjoy smelting gear and dumping it off a pier into irretrievably deep water, Desynthesis may be for you.

At least I can desynth hw levelling dungeon gear for ltw now, and I'm over 50% on exdr jewelry, though still not sure on what/if I want to take up a third desynth.

I'm like CUL 165, WVR 85 and BSM 65. It's a long climb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I'm like CUL 165, WVR 85 and BSM 65. It's a long climb.

The worst is getting to where you can do heavensward i115 garbage, but the second you can basically find the cheapest 51 recipe, gather together enough to mash synth on like 200 of them, invest in hq tinker's calm and bacon, and go to town blowing up roughly 1m gil of valuables.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Yesterday I got Tam-Tara in LDR. Every single person in the group was new. Here I am with a level 49 scholar and a lancer wearing healing gear, an arcanist that was trying his best, and a gladiator that, well... not sure how to describe him. I notice that he's using fast blade over and over, no savage blade, and no flash, so naturally I'm getting the enmity. It's Tam-Tara so it doesn't really matter, but I wanted to be nice, and explain to him how to tank. I told him to use savage blade combo and flash to generate enmity, and he responds with "and?" which made me realize I had to go allll the way back to MMO 101 and tell him what enmity / hate is and why it's important to a tank. Right before a pull, he would use sprint, blowing all of his TP before a fight.

No one rolled on gear. I'm not sure they knew how. People would take the wrong turn and then go back to where they started because they weren't looking at the map. After beating the boss and probably doing the most amount of DPS, it ended and not a single commendation, but then again they probably didn't know how to give commendations :v:

I've played with newbies before, but it's never been this bad.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

seiferguy posted:

No one rolled on gear. I'm not sure they knew how.

The UI for rolling on gear is really really bad and easy to miss if you don't even know that it's a thing. FF14 has a lot of issues with its interface in general. (One that particularly annoys me - I have to click and confirm multiple times that I want to go through a gate.)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The one that bugs me is that you can't dismiss a chocobo when one of those "enter quest duty" prompts is up. Gotta close the dialog, dismiss and then talk to the npc again.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

nuru posted:

Prototype Gordian is literally healer armor.

True, I'm just not a fan of the look. Maybe it'll look better dyed a different color. (I want dyable versions of the original CT gear too, I want my hot pink scylla healing set too! :saddowns: )

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
I'm up to 170 fisher desynth. there are no relevant desynths for fishers yet. but there surely will be some soon!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

DolphinCop posted:

I'm up to 170 fisher desynth. there are no relevant desynths for fishers yet. but there surely will be some soon!
CUL desynths are pretty expressly for getting swimsuits and selling them for mad bank.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

CUL desynths are pretty expressly for getting swimsuits and selling them for mad bank.

There are no Heavensward swimsuits yet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Yesterday I got Tam-Tara in LDR. Every single person in the group was new. Here I am with a level 49 scholar and a lancer wearing healing gear, an arcanist that was trying his best, and a gladiator that, well... not sure how to describe him. I notice that he's using fast blade over and over, no savage blade, and no flash, so naturally I'm getting the enmity. It's Tam-Tara so it doesn't really matter, but I wanted to be nice, and explain to him how to tank. I told him to use savage blade combo and flash to generate enmity, and he responds with "and?" which made me realize I had to go allll the way back to MMO 101 and tell him what enmity / hate is and why it's important to a tank. Right before a pull, he would use sprint, blowing all of his TP before a fight.

No one rolled on gear. I'm not sure they knew how. People would take the wrong turn and then go back to where they started because they weren't looking at the map. After beating the boss and probably doing the most amount of DPS, it ended and not a single commendation, but then again they probably didn't know how to give commendations :v:

Ffxiv for ps4 is on sale right now in psn. You are seeing its effects

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
yeah dont gently caress with me i already have all the 2.x desynths. gold roselle capeline easy peasy :drat: :hellyeah:

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Hello, here is a Playboy article.

http://www.playboy.com/articles/the-insane-dedication-it-takes-to-beat-the-hardest-level-in-final-fantasy

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Brannock posted:

The UI for rolling on gear is really really bad and easy to miss if you don't even know that it's a thing. FF14 has a lot of issues with its interface in general. (One that particularly annoys me - I have to click and confirm multiple times that I want to go through a gate.)

The first three dungeons I was in I thought I had to run up to the chest and interact with it to roll on the loot. I only found out about the loot button in the lower right because I complained about it to a friend and he told me why I was being an idiot.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

It's 2015 and people still refer to all video game content as 'levels'.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

DolphinCop posted:

Well if you need Quickarm IV materia really bad...

Yeah there really isn't much use for this 170+ cul desynth yet. That won't stop me from blowing up fish though.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Just want to say thank you to everyone in TPT for being so friendly and welcoming. Goons make this game super fun again :3:

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
man fishin for scrips feels like legalized cheating. miles simpler than doing btn/min for it.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

vOv posted:

It's 2015 and people still refer to all video game content as 'levels'.

I'd say it was expressly written like that so people who don't play video games (Or at least mmos) understand what they're talking about.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I will pull in Tiny Axolotls all day long, but Thunderbolt Eels can gently caress right off.

God forbid the weather is cloudy because then you will get zero of the fish you need to catch during a time-limited window and instead nothing but Pipira Pira for an hour straight.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I dunno, given the short time window + fishing RNG for the axolotls (and the fact that it overlaps with the chysahl / adamantine nodes) I have more consistent results going bot/min for red scrips.

The thunderbolt eels aren't so bad with brute leeches, but I tend to cap in a couple of days of mining anyway so I usually don't bother.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Thundarr posted:

I dunno, given the short time window + fishing RNG for the axolotls (and the fact that it overlaps with the chysahl / adamantine nodes) I have more consistent results going bot/min for red scrips.

The thunderbolt eels aren't so bad with brute leeches, but I tend to cap in a couple of days of mining anyway so I usually don't bother.

instead of brute leeches or bladed steel jig, use patience with stonefly nymphs. thunderbolt eels are a 100% mooch off of blueclaw shrimp, which makes it fairly easy to get 4-6 collectibles above the turn-in range per night, especially if youre willing to use cordials

except when it's cloudy or dust storms, in which case pipira pira will, as mentioned above, gently caress up all your mooches and piss in your cheerios

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I just get revenge on the pipiras by turning them into delicious raid food. But yeah I guess I hadn't actually tried lesser bait in that fishing hole for some reason.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Now I'm watching the multiple-POV clear video and wait a dang minute

has your white mage not unlocked his chocobuddy

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I really hope Alexander gets his rear end outta the water soon because right now he looks kind of goofy, rather than the towering godlike cathedral he's been in every piece of art we've seen so far. :(

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

Suitaru posted:

That's his alt, which he only uses for raiding. We each have an alt(s) that we use to do combined main/alt raids in order to allocate loot and item upgrade reagents for progression. It just happened to end up that Miu's alt got more loot than his main so he did A4s on that character instead; the same went for Leroy and myself.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Suitaru posted:

World First raiding in 14 involves rolling a lot of alt characters to maximize the gear you're receiving per week.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

sword_man.gif posted:

man fishin for scrips feels like legalized cheating. miles simpler than doing btn/min for it.

Please tell me your secrets. The fishing windows happen at the same time as mining/botany for me and it never felt like I was getting way more fish than I would just from hitting up the bot/min nodes (4-8).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DolphinCop posted:

instead of brute leeches or bladed steel jig, use patience with stonefly nymphs. thunderbolt eels are a 100% mooch off of blueclaw shrimp, which makes it fairly easy to get 4-6 collectibles above the turn-in range per night, especially if youre willing to use cordials

I usually get 2 per patience with bladed steel jigs, and one per patience with stonefly nymphs. How do you have enough GP to do more than one or two mooches, all of which can be cut short if you use patience instead of patience 2?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kaedric posted:

Please tell me your secrets. The fishing windows happen at the same time as mining/botany for me and it never felt like I was getting way more fish than I would just from hitting up the bot/min nodes (4-8).

it's all relative. it's just easier for me, i don't like doing collectables for btn/min. also i actually want the adamantite ore to use and don't want to waste collecting on it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

I usually get 2 per patience with bladed steel jigs, and one per patience with stonefly nymphs. How do you have enough GP to do more than one or two mooches, all of which can be cut short if you use patience instead of patience 2?

I have 615 GP and with patience 1 I can usually apply a hookset skill to all but two casts (assuming no wait time), or all of them if I specifically ignore tugs that I know won't be for a fish I want.

With patience 2 it kind of boils down to waiting until I have 60+ GP again before casting.

I have max melded dodore accessories from before the expansion though, and that contributes a lot of it. Not looking forward to the expense of replacing those things with the new 2* set.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 10, 2015

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i use patience 1 since leatherworker isnt at 60 yet, so no melded level 60 gp gear. standard hooks until i land a shrimp, and then i use powerful hookset on the eel. it can backfire, but it still generally works out to two eels per patience

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Kaedric posted:

Blue scrip: Illuminati perch are 24/7 and easy to catch. Its unlimited blue scrip really, so you can get the lorebooks easily.

Red scrip: Use this timer http://en.ff14angler.com/timetable.php/?collectable. Its not 24/7, but thunderbolt eels are easy to catch and you can catch pipira during the right weather which sell ok. Tiny axylotyls are next best.

Its not entirely pain free, but quicker to get to 450 scrips than min/bot.

Has anyone seen a list of the gathering/perception requirements for each collectable fish?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Nien posted:

Blue scrip: Illuminati perch are 24/7 and easy to catch. Its unlimited blue scrip really, so you can get the lorebooks easily.

Red scrip: Use this timer http://en.ff14angler.com/timetable.php/?collectable. Its not 24/7, but thunderbolt eels are easy to catch and you can catch pipira during the right weather which sell ok. Tiny axylotyls are next best.

Its not entirely pain free, but quicker to get to 450 scrips than min/bot.

Has anyone seen a list of the gathering/perception requirements for each collectable fish?

stat requirements definitely aren't as high as 2/3 star fish in 2.X were, since i managed to catch an illuminati perch at like level 54 by accident while i was leveling. that being said, the stat requirement for a 100% catch rate also seems to be a lot higher

at the end of the day, full ilevel 130 pathfinder gear, hq 150 fishing rod, and level 50 accessories is piss easy to get your hands on and was more than enough to start pulling eels and axolotls in earnest, so the requirements clearly aren't high enough to seriously gate anybody who's already at level 60

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DolphinCop posted:

the stat requirement for a 100% catch rate also seems to be a lot higher

Some fish probably have a catch rate cap lower than 100%. This is the case with a lot of ARR big fish, if you go back and try to catch them now, you'll lose the catch no matter how might your gathering is.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

seiferguy posted:

Oh man, I had the same thing yesterday. I'm leveling my conjurer, so I got a Tam-Tara group which consists of a marauder that wasn't using flash or combo's, so they never had aggro. A thaumaturge that pretty much just zerged his way through the dungeon, pulling all the mobs, and an arcanist that thought they were a healer, and only cast Physick, no DPS spells, just Physick. None of them spoke english, so trying to explain how to play via the Auto Translator was just an exercise in failure.

So I was Tank/Healer/DPS the entire dungeon, and we did it without wiping. I did get three commendations at the end which was super nice, but loving hell that run killed my night.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My biggest issue with AS3 is the unresponsiveness of gimmicks. We've wiped multiple times to digititis randomly because the server tick decided two people weren't on top of eachother or because I had to run through a tether 3-4 times and still didn't get it picked up. If that stuff wasn't so shoddily coded I feel that most people wouldn't tear their hair out at this fight.

A3S is so unfun that it is going back and poisoning the entire HW experience for me.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I'm not sure what's up with this, but starting about 2 weeks ago I've had this game just randomly DC for me, and when it does it basically means it will generally randomly DC all day, making it unplayable. WTFast makes no difference and does nothing.

All other games I play connect to servers and such and stay connected fine.

So now when i want to play this game, I have to start up, wait about 5 minutes, and see if I DC or not, if I don't, then I'm good to play, if I do, then I basically can't play for the day.

Anyone else run into this before or have any idea what could cause it and how to fix it?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Have you reset your router recently?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Don't use WTFast. :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

kalstrams posted:

Don't use WTFast. :wtc:

There's nothing wrong with it (other than the marketing team being a bunch of GAMERZ dipshits) and it's pretty good at what it does and is unfortunately kind of necessary because Verizon, Level 3, and a bunch of other backbone dipshits are assholes who mismanage the backbone in order to fuel their stupid pissfights over netflix traffic? :confused:

Edit: Also nobody actually cares about that Steam review bullshit

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 11, 2015

• Locked thread