Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
The reason i was in my garrison 24/7 was because I couldn't decide what to do outside of raiding because there were far too many choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
weird how in the same expansion they made everything 1000% more tedious to get to, people stopped doing stuff and unsubscribed.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Flying didn't matter in WoD because there was nothing to do anyway. Now I have flying and I still don't use it because where would I go with it?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i do not play WoW so my opinion on the matter is just speculation based on random poo poo i read about it in other mmo threads but it looks like it survives on inertia and being okay

it's outdated and ugly and blizz seems to not be sure what the hell they want to do with it apart from making nerds pay up, but it's pretty well polished compared to a ton of alternatives and has a large player base that already invested years in their characters

age and new decent mmos still make it bleed people but slowly

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think WoW's aesthetic helped give it longevity. It may not look great, but compare it to other decade-old MMOs and it definitely looks less aged which probably helps it get new players.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Mizuti posted:

Do the chua in Wildstar have any good voice acting or animations, or are they just a dud across the board?

The jumping/landing animation for chua is amazing.

That's it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

I think WoW's aesthetic helped give it longevity. It may not look great, but compare it to other decade-old MMOs and it definitely looks less aged which probably helps it get new players.

It's clear that's what Wildstar was going for, but somehow it ended up looking like WoW circa 2007 instead of some sort of timeless stylized aesthetic.

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008

Arivia posted:

WoW's grouping difficulty is basically very easy free for all until the end of the original game's dungeons at 56, then tapers towards needing actual play capabilities over the next few expansions. When you get to Cataclysm content like Blackrock Caverns above, everyone is expected to know their job and perform it competently. (It's notable that the current spread of abilities the game gives you matches this. A lot of classes don't actually get personal cooldowns or buffs to apply to party members until the first expansion now.)

Well, I am not a WOW expert but I can tell you my newbie experience.
With the release of WoD I have decided that I wanted to try the game. So I have started a character, from level 1 to .. I think I arrived to 97. I have done random dungeons until some point in Pandaria (so until somewhere around level 85), and the other group members were almost one shot killing everything with their full heirlooms toons.

Even the tank and the healer, with full heirloom equipment, had a DPS that I could not come close to as a Mage with green items and a couple of blues. They didn't really need me, and I was just leeching xp and coins giving my very, VERY minor contribution. There was just no possibility that any of us could die

Now, if I had to go in a serious dungeon, somewhere where the group members could potentially die, I could only do what I have learned to do, which is attacking stuff with the rotation that I use in solo PvE, as in the previous content I haven't needed to learn anything.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Flying didn't matter in WoD because there was nothing to do anyway. Now I have flying and I still don't use it because where would I go with it?

There's those six rare NPCs on a super long spawn timer you could hunt down!!!!! For pets and toys!!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Does getting to exalted with the WoD factions still require you to kill thousands of the same mobs, or did the being back the old rep methods?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

You can turn in hundreds of an item instead!

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008
WOW will always have some super-grindy content for those people who do nothing else but play, but you can always ignore it and do what you like

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Anatharon posted:

I thought Elin were popped into existence by god or something

Yes. But, according to the internets, original pre-korean-release lore had Popori males be the anime bears and raccoons, and females be what we now know as the Elin pedobait race. It got changed because people didn't like their tiny lolis loving bears in the lore.

Mantees posted:

With the release of WoD I have decided that I wanted to try the game. So I have started a character, from level 1 to .. I think I arrived to 97. I have done random dungeons until some point in Pandaria (so until somewhere around level 85), and the other group members were almost one shot killing everything with their full heirlooms toons.

Even the tank and the healer, with full heirloom equipment, had a DPS that I could not come close to as a Mage with green items and a couple of blues. They didn't really need me, and I was just leeching xp and coins giving my very, VERY minor contribution. There was just no possibility that any of us could die

Now, if I had to go in a serious dungeon, somewhere where the group members could potentially die, I could only do what I have learned to do, which is attacking stuff with the rotation that I use in solo PvE, as in the previous content I haven't needed to learn anything.

This is why after gw2 and ff14 I don't think I'll be able to play a pve theme park that doesn't have level sync. It's just such a good mechanic for keeping most content at least borderline fun instead of a pushover you do in your sleep while the new guy you're playing with is bored to death by not being able to contribute anything.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Harrow posted:

It's clear that's what Wildstar was going for, but somehow it ended up looking like WoW circa 2007 instead of some sort of timeless stylized aesthetic.

Wildstar achieved a great feat. It managed to look like an older version of WoW and still run like complete poo poo for a lot of people. Some serious spaghetti code gotta be going on to run that terrible.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Wildstar achieved a great feat. It managed to look like an older version of WoW and still run like complete poo poo for a lot of people. Some serious spaghetti code gotta be going on to run that terrible.
I remember everyone saying "There's going to be serious optimization a week before launch...okay when headstart begins...when the formal launch happens...uh the first content patch...*unsubs*

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

I remember everyone saying "There's going to be serious optimization a week before launch...okay when headstart begins...when the formal launch happens...uh the first content patch...*unsubs*

I remember a dude that was in the closed beta for like a year and kept warning people about how carbine was poo poo and the game wasnt worth it but people really wanted to believe wildstar was good and worth the money

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RottenK posted:

i do not play WoW so my opinion on the matter is just speculation based on random poo poo i read about it in other mmo threads but it looks like it survives on inertia and being okay

it's outdated and ugly and blizz seems to not be sure what the hell they want to do with it apart from making nerds pay up, but it's pretty well polished compared to a ton of alternatives and has a large player base that already invested years in their characters

To be fair, if you do like high level raiding, wow still has absolutely fantastic raids, sure the rest of the xpac might be crap, but if you have played wow as a raider for a long time you probably never did anything not raid related until wrath because of the amount of farming old raiding required from you.

WotLK was the first time I didn't have to farm poo poo loads of mats or gold for mats so we could have the 10k gold worth of pots a raid week took.

Even with the lack of mat farming required for mythic raiding people going for world first spend a boatload of time in heroic raids gearing 10 alts just incase they need to class stack, so if you really want to spend hours and hours playing wow while activley doing something try to get into a world / server first mythic guild and enjoy.

Mantees posted:

Beats trying to get a group of 5 people through a full clear of BRD in vanilla, at least you didnt waste 5 hours of your life and still had the group fall apart before the last 3 bosses. Also you have to remember that old wow dungeons are from a time when each pull was gonna cost your healer most of their mana, tanks had no AoE threat generation, the healer could pull aggro with an accidental crit, as could the mage, and the rogue, and the other rogue, and most classes lacked things they added to make wow leveling not bad, like giving warriors a button that makes them hit the enemy before they hit 40 and get mortal strike and they gave everyone some from of solo sustain so you don't need a pile of food and water if you want to level.

Turtle Sandbox fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 10, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I remember a dude that was in the closed beta for like a year and kept warning people about how carbine was poo poo and the game wasnt worth it but people really wanted to believe wildstar was good and worth the money
I think the thing is that the beta experience was perfectly fine. A lot of the issues the game has don't manifest until you've played for a while. The game is SUPER buggy, but the game doesn't have a ton of showstopper bugs but instead of small annoying bugs that slowly erode your patience. Then you get to endgame and it has like almost no content since dungeons are balanced like poo poo and of course Adventures had a mandatory "most efficient" route. And then there's the whole issue with raiding and actual showstopper bugs like "Lost attunement? Start a new character!"

It doesn't hurt that the one feature almost everyone agrees was good, housing, was available early enough for most players to experience it in beta. Really, it's not terribly surprising a lot of us got suckered into the hype as the game's issues kinda crept on you rather than being all out there at once.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
You could play the beta for 15 minutes and tell it was a piece of poo poo

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I wonder how many people played with the housing and got sucked into wildstar thinking it is the best thing ever. Talk about bait and switch.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Beats trying to get a group of 5 people through a full clear of BRD in vanilla, at least you didnt waste 5 hours of your life and still had the group fall apart before the last 3 bosses. Also you have to remember that old wow dungeons are from a time when each pull was gonna cost your healer most of their mana, tanks had no AoE threat generation, the healer could pull aggro with an accidental crit, as could the mage, and the rogue, and the other rogue, and most classes lacked things they added to make wow leveling not bad, like giving warriors a button that makes them hit the enemy before they hit 40 and get mortal strike and they gave everyone some from of solo sustain so you don't need a pile of food and water if you want to level.

If you let one of the rust buckets tank instead of a Druid it's your own drat fault :colbert:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Morglon posted:

If you let one of the rust buckets tank instead of a Druid it's your own drat fault :colbert:

The only tanks were warriors, full stop. For a long time, until like patch 1.6, feral druids' ultimate 31-point talent was the earth-shattering Improved Pounce

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yeah but after that they were the flat out better choice. Also getting an arms Warrior to carry a shield and play nice made five mans so much easier before that but lots of groups would just laugh at you if you told them you weren't completely defense early on so that too was their own drat fault.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Seriously, I tried the easiest of the level 50 dungeons and the final boss ran so poorly, even at absolutely minimum settings, that he was flat out in impossible for me to manage. I was getting 4 fps on a computer that could run Dragon Age Inquisition at 30fps on medium settings (so not great or anything but it should have been able to run Wildstar just fine).

Morglon posted:

Yeah but after that they were the flat out better choice. Also getting an arms Warrior to carry a shield and play nice made five mans so much easier before that but lots of groups would just laugh at you if you told them you weren't completely defense early on so that too was their own drat fault.

Oh man, how poo poo was it when the punishing vanilla respec prices forced you to fully commit to pvp dps/pve dps/other.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 10, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SarutosZero posted:

You could play the beta for 15 minutes and tell it was a piece of poo poo
Look if you're used to flopping around in poo poo then you really can't tell the difference between two different pieces :v:

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Morglon posted:

I never once ran a 5 man with a druid tank, and most groups wouldn't give them a chance. Also you never needed to be anything other than 31/20/0 to tank 5 mans fine.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

The Moon Monster posted:

Oh man, how poo poo was it when the punishing vanilla respec prices forced you to fully commit to pvp dps/pve dps/other.

Depends on class/role.

Most dps specs, unless you were super cereal guild, could just run a pvp spec pve and lose very little dps. Mages were all frost anyways, since MC and BWL had plenty of fire immune mobs. Most talents were either good or bad at everything, so a pvp spec or a pve spec was like minor talent choices different, never the major ones.

Healers didnt really have pvp specs because disc was a joke, and non priests were niche at best. All druids went 31 resto for innervate or kick. No you cant feral dps billy its terrible, 50 dkp minus.

Tank characters were tanks. forever. Their repair cost alone typically meant a raiding guild was taking donation from other member to keep their tanks (all 5 of them, lol vanilla wow) out of the red, so switching specs was out of the question.

And by tanks i mean warriors, because they were the only ones who could tank in vanilla.

I guess the only person who really put up with constant spec switching would be a priest who liked to raid and also wanted to be shadow for pvp, because shadow priests melted face in vanilla.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

I wonder how many people played with the housing and got sucked into wildstar thinking it is the best thing ever. Talk about bait and switch.

Housing in any game is dumb.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Holyshoot posted:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Double Monocle posted:

Depends on class/role.

Most dps specs, unless you were super cereal guild, could just run a pvp spec pve and lose very little dps. Mages were all frost anyways, since MC and BWL had plenty of fire immune mobs. Most talents were either good or bad at everything, so a pvp spec or a pve spec was like minor talent choices different, never the major ones.

Healers didnt really have pvp specs because disc was a joke, and non priests were niche at best. All druids went 31 resto for innervate or kick. No you cant feral dps billy its terrible, 50 dkp minus.

Tank characters were tanks. forever. Their repair cost alone typically meant a raiding guild was taking donation from other member to keep their tanks (all 5 of them, lol vanilla wow) out of the red, so switching specs was out of the question.

And by tanks i mean warriors, because they were the only ones who could tank in vanilla.

I guess the only person who really put up with constant spec switching would be a priest who liked to raid and also wanted to be shadow for pvp, because shadow priests melted face in vanilla.

I guess I shouldn't complain since as a paladin any spec I picked would be equally bad at everything other than 1v1 PvP.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

My vanilla guild had a druid and paladin tank in Molten Core and they could sorta handle boss adds on Gehennas and Executus. Bosses were a not-gonna-happen thing.
I campaigned pretty hard to be allowed to tank Onyxia on my rogue but they wouldn't let me :(

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Post 1.8 Druids were plain better tanks than Warriors, just harder to get fear for. The only thing that kept Warriors going was Inertia.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is like the second time I've stumbled onto a thread to find Flesh Forge starting an argument, owning himself, then leaving when nobody agreed with him.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

RottenK posted:

WoW is really a victim of it's own success, in that it did a lot of very smart things (LFG, improved/massively streamlined questing/different difficulty of raids) while also having so much monetary power to keep releasing expansions, I think somewhere along the way most players just went "ok yeah this isn't the same game I started playing" and bailed. WoW today is a million times better than it was in BC/Vanilla but it's also such a different experience it's alienated their original player base.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

abigserve posted:

WoW is really a victim of it's own success, in that it did a lot of very smart things (LFG, improved/massively streamlined questing/different difficulty of raids) while also having so much monetary power to keep releasing expansions, I think somewhere along the way most players just went "ok yeah this isn't the same game I started playing" and bailed. WoW today is a million times better than it was in BC/Vanilla but it's also such a different experience it's alienated their original player base.

WoW's original playerbase has a job and kids now.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

abigserve posted:

I disagree. I think it IS the same game it was ten years ago, but it's been pared down to the core experience which is basically running progressively harder instanced stuff. If you look at Legion, it's become clear that the developers have reached the absolute limit as to what they can do with WoW, and most of the "new" stuff is just a pre-existing systems dressed up as something new (Legendary weapons are basically just an extension of the talent system, guilds are just garrisons with the fat cut out, etc). I think it comes down to the fact that this kind of gameplay can only keep people playing but for so long before they get tired of it and move on.

It doesn't help that a lot of the things that have improved the game also kinda bring into question the whole need for a massive world in the first place. Garrisons just exacerbated this further by turning the actual world into more of a glorified chat lobby than ever before.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Rorus Raz posted:

I disagree. I think it IS the same game it was ten years ago, but it's been pared down to the core experience which is basically running progressively harder instanced stuff. If you look at Legion, it's become clear that the developers have reached the absolute limit as to what they can do with WoW, and most of the "new" stuff is just a pre-existing systems dressed up as something new (Legendary weapons are basically just an extension of the talent system, guilds are just garrisons with the fat cut out, etc). I think it comes down to the fact that this kind of gameplay can only keep people playing but for so long before they get tired of it and move on.

It doesn't help that a lot of the things that have improved the game also kinda bring into question the whole need for a massive world in the first place. Garrisons just exacerbated this further by turning the actual world into more of a glorified chat lobby than ever before.

people thought it was bad when everyone sit in Org or stormwind, but at least you can see people and look at their armor or seethem do something silly like dancing naked on the mailbox.

the garrison strip everything but trade chat, and trade chat is the wrost thing about wow.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Holyshoot posted:

EQ2's housing is loving amazing and I will die on this hill.

abigserve posted:

WoW today is a million times better than it was in BC/Vanilla but it's also such a different experience it's alienated their original player base.

Not sure I agree with this. I've been playing WoW since vanilla and I vastly prefer the current game.

Well, I would if it had anything to do but raid. But mechanically it's a far better game.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Comrayn posted:

WoW's original playerbase has a job and kids now.

Yeah but most of my friends and myself quit during WoTLK after LFG came out, we were all still early 20's with plenty of time to play.

The thing is it's been streamlined to gently caress, there used to be a lot of reasons to get out and experience the world even if they were often tedious or annoying. As already noted while the core gameplay hasn't changed the experience has changed a fuckload from the days when you had to troll trade chat to get a group together for a lovely instance, only to find the hunter is in greens while you're flying to the dungeon entrance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
The worst thing about Wildstar is even if you only play it for the housing, there's decorations that only drop in those lovely dungeons.

• Locked thread