Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

We're rocking MSSC here and it's pretty cool, but awfully overwhelming. Haven't had a chance to really learn it yet, so it's sitting there doing essentially nothing right now. But hey, we pushed out Endpoint Protection with it!

I found out this morning my boss (IT Director) is retiring in December. This sucks, he is a great boss and a wealth of knowledge. There are three others in the department close to retirement age and this could prompt their exit as well, so it's going to be an interesting 6 months ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

WDS or MDT is more than enough for 40 to 90 people, especially of half are Macs. I wouldn't worry about SCCM unless you are planning to grow a ton very quickly and you have lots of free time now.

It will hold you over until you hire a dedicated IT guy.

Or just go the old school imaging route and do things local. Anything that will boot and take an image with handle Windows or Mac.

Or am I misreading and you are going to grow into the dedicated IT guy? Or do you have other responsibilities and don't want to waste time on IT?

I'm probably going to end up being the dedicated IT guy here, so while it would be easy to just do everything local, I would prefer to start developing skills I can take elsewhere if needed.

The main issue here is that we have almost nothing recorded in terms of policy or procedure, which was ok when the company was 3 dudes in a garage but is completely unsustainable moving forward. We hired a new kid last week and he still doesn't have a work computer, let alone know how to set up our absurdly complicated Eclipse configuration.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
WDS/MDT is the way to go with that many workstations. You can throw the image together in an afternoon; gathering up all the necessary drivers will be the part that takes a little while depending on your machine spread.

Each of the System Center components is a beast unto itself, especially SCCM and SCOM. Don't try and do things all at once, like others have mentioned. In the Small Shop thread someone mentioned PDQ Deploy and Inventory to me, so if you only have 40 to 96 machines I'd go that route rather than System Center. They're quite good.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Well, I went ahead and applied for a few spots that indeed suggested, and one of them immediately called me and wants to bring me in for an interview ASAP.

He made it a point to say that they are looking for someone with an active CCNA to bump their partner level which was kind of weird, seems like an odd thing to base a hire off of. I guess it doesn't hurt to go ahead and see what's up in an interview though, right?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Necronomicon posted:

So I'm in a weird situation here, and hoping some of you could provide some advice.

I'm relatively fresh out of grad school with a master's in Information Science. I got hired in June by a small software company in Boston that is currently transitioning from a startup into something a bit larger (currently we have around 40 employees, plans are to hit 90 by December 2016). We currently have no process whatsoever for setting up new hires with computers, and getting up and running with our software and required programs is outlined in a couple of wiki articles but not formalized at all. I've taken it upon myself to take over hardware provisioning, and I'd also like to have deployable images for OS X and Windows so new people can skip the trial and error process of getting set up. Is there an industry standard way of doing this? Creating an image from one master Mac is easy enough, but that approach can get really labor-intensive when you start to add more and more users.

Any advice? This is pretty much baby's first IT job outside of help desk work in college, but I landed in a weird, undefined spot due to my background (BA in English, MS in Info Science).

Like everyone's said, MDT/WDS for Windows.

I inherited the exact same situation as you, plus about 300 more computers. But still, somehow they were operating off a terrible deployment process that was basically utilizing a full-disk backup as their imaging system. It was awful.

Anyway - this is all much easier if you have some sort of VMWare setup that you can work with. I spun up a Server 2012 machine, installed MDT 2013 on it, and went from there. I don't have a full, step-by-step walkthrough for you but I got everything I needed from DeploymentResearch.com (definitely use "Solution 3" for your drivers) and DeploymentBunny.

Depending on how you want to do it, you can either set up PXE (network) boot, or just use a USB stick, which is what I did. I never did get WDS going (that might change soon), but we're never deploying more than 2 or 3 machines at a time so it isn't an issue. In case you didn't know, WDS allows you to deploy with multicast, whereas MDT only just pulls an image down from your DeploymentShare via unicast.

Also, as far as your image goes, I've found it's easiest to source your image from a virtual machine; let's you go the "hybrid" image route. Get it patched, install all the necessary applications, patch them, etc., and then snapshot it. Run sysprep, and reboot it - instead booting it off of a WinPE stick, and capture the image to a network share using ImageX (or DISM, I think is what WinPE 5 uses now). That way you've got a complete image with no drivers. Once you need to update your image, you can revert that VM back to the snapshot you took and go from there.

Oh, and assuming you're deploying enterprise-class equipment, you can typically find .zip or .cab files on the major manufacturer's (Dell, Lenovo, HP) sites. Just load them up like deploymentresearch.com's steps explain, keeping your folders structured correctly.

For OSX, DeployStudio is nice. I'm much more of a Windows guy, but I found DeployStudio much easier to set up. There's a lot of walkthroughs on Youtube. I got it going with a dedicated OSX machine running OSX Server; that way my Macs can use Netboot (OSXs name for PXE, I guess?) and pull the image via the server, no USB required. You can also do it on a self-contained external drive but I don't know about that route.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

crunk dork posted:

Well, I went ahead and applied for a few spots that indeed suggested, and one of them immediately called me and wants to bring me in for an interview ASAP.

He made it a point to say that they are looking for someone with an active CCNA to bump their partner level which was kind of weird, seems like an odd thing to base a hire off of. I guess it doesn't hurt to go ahead and see what's up in an interview though, right?

Certs for partner level stuff is actually a pretty serious thing. Even more so when you lose status when people leave or certs expire.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Sickening posted:

Certs for partner level stuff is actually a pretty serious thing. Even more so when you lose status when people leave or certs expire.

The more I learn the less I know...

I just became certified not even a month ago. Current employer didn't really seem to care so I figured it didn't do much. I'm the only person in our managed services division with an active Cisco cert too as far as I know.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

crunk dork posted:

The more I learn the less I know...

I just became certified not even a month ago. Current employer didn't really seem to care so I figured it didn't do much. I'm the only person in our managed services division with an active Cisco cert too as far as I know.

I'm sure when I get my CCNA no one in my current job will care (as they don't realize why I'd want my CCNA...). Some orgs care about their partner status, some don't. Are you talking to an MSP? They're usually the ones most likely to value them. I'm not sure if internal IT ever really cares...?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm sure when I get my CCNA no one in my current job will care (as they don't realize why I'd want my CCNA...). Some orgs care about their partner status, some don't. Are you talking to an MSP? They're usually the ones most likely to value them. I'm not sure if internal IT ever really cares...?

Well, I work for a company currently that provides managed services as part of being an office technology supplier. The clientele is way too small to warrant a good flow of Cisco gear, and the phones division uses Shoretel exclusively so they aren't benefitting from it either. They were adamant I do this dumb barracuda sales partner training though, so I get what you're saying. What they care about will depend on what vendor's equipment they sell or have a demand for.

And the one I'm talking to as of yesterday is an MSP that handles government contracts from what I can piece together after one conversation and some googling.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I worked at an msp that set a goal for me to get my CCNA, specifically for a better Cisco partner level. I got it, the business benefited, but they didn't offer a raise to compensate for my added value.

I left a month later for a job willing to pay for my credentials.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I worked at an msp that set a goal for me to get my CCNA, specifically for a better Cisco partner level. I got it, the business benefited, but they didn't offer a raise to compensate for my added value.

I left a month later for a job willing to pay for my credentials.

That seems pretty reasonable to me. The place I'm talking to would pay at least 50% more than what I make now, and have an opportunity for clearance of some sort, but I feel kind of silly for interviewing without a real reason after 3 months at a place.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Well, they fired my boss, the CFO, today.

I've only been here since March and I've already had 3 bosses.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wait, are you not at the ski resort anymore?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

This is at the resort.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh, okay. I thought you were there longer than that. My mistake.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well, sometimes it feels like that. There was no documentation or anything before, and I have fixed so many things it's practically like I've been here years.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Necronomicon posted:

So I'm in a weird situation here, and hoping some of you could provide some advice.

I'm relatively fresh out of grad school with a master's in Information Science. I got hired in June by a small software company in Boston that is currently transitioning from a startup into something a bit larger (currently we have around 40 employees, plans are to hit 90 by December 2016). We currently have no process whatsoever for setting up new hires with computers, and getting up and running with our software and required programs is outlined in a couple of wiki articles but not formalized at all. I've taken it upon myself to take over hardware provisioning, and I'd also like to have deployable images for OS X and Windows so new people can skip the trial and error process of getting set up. Is there an industry standard way of doing this? Creating an image from one master Mac is easy enough, but that approach can get really labor-intensive when you start to add more and more users.

Any advice? This is pretty much baby's first IT job outside of help desk work in college, but I landed in a weird, undefined spot due to my background (BA in English, MS in Info Science).

I'm just curious what the real need is for a managed OS? I know you said 'to skip the trial and error process', but do you really need that?

I'm curious because I'm in a very similar situation - company was small startup who is further along that same transition (we currently have around 90 people, just made our first acquisition bringing in 11+ new devs), and when we give our people laptops we just give it to them (whatever type they want to do their work, no corporate standard / golden imaged machine on lockdown) and let them do what they need with it. Our teams each have our own way of handling the setup. My team has a basic welcome.md with links to all the apps we use in our teams git repo which works just fine. I would say that this is a lot less frustrating for the employees and also the one to provision the hardware. Of course I don't know the full details of your organization so this is purely anecdotal / informative, not necessarily a suggestion.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Holy poo poo I think I may be able to hop on the :yotj: train for the first time in my life!

20% higher base pay and no more external customers!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I'm just curious what the real need is for a managed OS? I know you said 'to skip the trial and error process', but do you really need that?

I'm curious because I'm in a very similar situation - company was small startup who is further along that same transition (we currently have around 90 people, just made our first acquisition bringing in 11+ new devs), and when we give our people laptops we just give it to them (whatever type they want to do their work, no corporate standard / golden imaged machine on lockdown) and let them do what they need with it. Our teams each have our own way of handling the setup. My team has a basic welcome.md with links to all the apps we use in our teams git repo which works just fine. I would say that this is a lot less frustrating for the employees and also the one to provision the hardware. Of course I don't know the full details of your organization so this is purely anecdotal / informative, not necessarily a suggestion.

So, what about the people that aren't developers? I'm mostly talking out of my rear end here, but it seems like that could be a big pain point when transitionting to startup in garage to actual business. If you outsource all that or something then great no problems. But as soon as you start having secretaries and HR and finance people and marketing and sales and etc etc, are you going to trust them the same way you trust a developer? Hell, I wouldn't even trust a developer hired to an established business the way I would trust a developer hired to a startup.

But at least initially, you may or may not have that problem. So make sure whatever you're doing is to meet the needs of the staff rather than some blanket demand for "proper IT" or whatever (which may come from you being accidentally over eager or maybe some manager that doesn't know what they're doing). So figure out what problems staff is having with the way things are right now and see if a standardized deployment setup would help them with that.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

FISHMANPET posted:

So, what about the people that aren't developers? I'm mostly talking out of my rear end here, but it seems like that could be a big pain point when transitionting to startup in garage to actual business. If you outsource all that or something then great no problems. But as soon as you start having secretaries and HR and finance people and marketing and sales and etc etc, are you going to trust them the same way you trust a developer? Hell, I wouldn't even trust a developer hired to an established business the way I would trust a developer hired to a startup.

But at least initially, you may or may not have that problem. So make sure whatever you're doing is to meet the needs of the staff rather than some blanket demand for "proper IT" or whatever (which may come from you being accidentally over eager or maybe some manager that doesn't know what they're doing). So figure out what problems staff is having with the way things are right now and see if a standardized deployment setup would help them with that.

Honestly they all get the same setup (whatever laptop they want and the necessary licenses for their applications - Office365, etc) and we have 1 IT guy who handles all provisioning and has all tickets routed to him. They're working on hiring a second guy (and maybe another since that one guy is applying for a job in Operations). I'm sure that won't last forever.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A friend of mine got a job at a company that was starting the startup>real company transition and they were at the point where they basically needed to forklift a systems backend because up to that point they'd just been giving developers laptops but it snowballed to the point where it just wasn't working for the "regular" staff they were bringing in and I think it ended up being a bit of a rushed scramble to transition (or maybe they never did, he left and they're going down in flames).

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

FISHMANPET posted:

they basically needed to forklift a systems backend

Could you tell a little more about this? (Genuinely curious)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I can't sadly, he mentioned it in passing that they might want to hire a Windows admin because they were having trouble getting going with that kind of stuff. But also that company was terrible and he left in under a year so who knows how much of their systems troubles were because they were a terrible company and how much were growing pains. But I never really got any details on it.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
I just asked my boss for a 20% raise. He's been my boss for about 3 months, before that IT was in the business office - now we're working for the technology & engineering dept.

He was super cool, I basically said "Look, in the 2 years since me and <coworker> started here and replaced the existing team we've cut over 60k/yr of unnecessary poo poo, eliminated relying on consultants and documented everything that was a mess before. I make 65k, someone with my certs and experience averages around 80. We live in <expensiveplace> and I need 80k, or else soon enough it is not going to make sense to stay here"

He said "Thanks for telling me. A lot of people are woefully underpaid, and it shouldn't be that way. It's smart to do this now rather than making demands later. You guys do a great job and everyone loves you. I'll go to fight for your raise this year but it may be over the course of two years."

That's about as awesome of a conversation as I could have wanted. I saw it going a lot of ways but I'm really glad he was cool and reasonable.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Spudalicious posted:

"I'll go to fight for your raise this year but it may be over the course of two years."

I don't want to burst your bubble but there are a lot of managers out there that will say things like this, or anything else for that matter, to get you to stick around just a little bit longer than you otherwise would have in hopes of getting an actual raise, all the while knowing that there is no raise coming.

I'm not saying this guy is doing that. What I'm saying is that vague assurances are worth nothing. At least get regular updates from this guy, he should be able to get you some hard numbers ("we're going to bump you 10% at the end of this year and another 10 the next year" or "you're getting +5% starting in November but beyond that no promises" or something like that) in a reasonable period of time. Like, weeks, not months.

I mean, verbal promises are pretty worthless too, but at least if they renege you can know exactly when it happens.

I know I sound all :argh: CORPORATIONS. My attitude comes from being burned by situations just like this, and I sincerely hope the guy is dealing with you straight.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Che Delilas posted:

I don't want to burst your bubble but there are a lot of managers out there that will say things like this, or anything else for that matter, to get you to stick around just a little bit longer than you otherwise would have in hopes of getting an actual raise, all the while knowing that there is no raise coming.

I'm not saying this guy is doing that. What I'm saying is that vague assurances are worth nothing. At least get regular updates from this guy, he should be able to get you some hard numbers ("we're going to bump you 10% at the end of this year and another 10 the next year" or "you're getting +5% starting in November but beyond that no promises" or something like that) in a reasonable period of time. Like, weeks, not months.

I mean, verbal promises are pretty worthless too, but at least if they renege you can know exactly when it happens.

I know I sound all :argh: CORPORATIONS. My attitude comes from being burned by situations just like this, and I sincerely hope the guy is dealing with you straight.

Plus, in two years you'll have two more years of experience under your belt, and would be worth more than $80k anyway. The way he puts it makes it sound like, best case, once you get your raise...you're underpaid again.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm not sure if internal IT ever really cares...?
i can say that we mostly don't care. I tasked someone we recently promoted to get a ccna, but that is because I thought the Cisco curriculum would be useful.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those of you who get to play with databases, how'd you get your start or your experience in them? I'm been trying to get my foot into learning the basics of databases and so I can write simple queries/reports but I keep getting shut down at my job. No one in my department has database access, or knows how to write reports or queries. Instead, we have to depend on unreliable contracted employees. I've been asking for read-only access to a training environment but I can't even get that. Frustrating to say the least, as I feel that my professional development is starting to stagnate.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
MySQL is free, spin up your own database and start from scratch. You'll learn how to make tables, how to write data (make a python script or whatever to record the day's weather at an hourly interval or something it doesn't really matter what's in it), how to access the data, run queries, run reports, all sorts of fun stuff to get started.

There are online ides that can do this or I recommend a raspberry pi for cheap dedicated hardware to mess with.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

You will also learn that working with databases is horrible :guinness:

(but necessary and valuable!)

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I took an intro to database course at my community college in 2002. That was enough for me to understand the basics at my job around 2007, where I wound up writing tons of stored procedures for report generation. I've been out of that game for 5 years or so, but last I was there, Crystal Reports was king. Teach yourself how to do poo poo in that, and you're an extra special loving magic wizard.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Che Delilas posted:

Depending on the size of the company, he might be saying this with all the good will in the world and still never be able to commit. When I was managing an SA team in a Fortune 500 setting, I had one guy that I knew perfectly well was underpaid, and he knew it too. He got lowballed with his initial hiring salary, worked hard, learned fast, but never got properly rewarded for it because it was 2002 and the company was in a perpetual hiring and promotion freeze. Every review I'd say, "you're a smart guy, I love your work ethic, I want you to be making at least $70k, but if all I can do is keeping giving you the maximum allowable raise, it's going to take us a long time to get you there." At least once a year I asked my boss if we could promote him, and every year I got told no.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Judge Schnoopy posted:

MySQL is free, spin up your own database and start from scratch. You'll learn how to make tables, how to write data (make a python script or whatever to record the day's weather at an hourly interval or something it doesn't really matter what's in it), how to access the data, run queries, run reports, all sorts of fun stuff to get started.

There are online ides that can do this or I recommend a raspberry pi for cheap dedicated hardware to mess with.

Or use a VM. A Pi is going to be appallingly slow with any kind of real dataset.

Speaking of which, I'd start with a dataset. Sakila, Dell DVD Store, RITA, openstreetmap, or whatever. Collecting your own data is great and all, but peeking at (and learning to use, and learning how to design by playing with it) a normalized "real" dataset instead of "dump everything into this table" teaches a lot as a beginner.

Pick your poison (postgres, mysql, mssql [express ok for learning]) and learn the tools, built in functions, how to write procs and triggers, etc. This all translates once you're experienced. But T-SQL vs PL can be confusing at first.

Learn external tooling if you want, but be aware that sqlalchemy, entity framework & linq, and other "programmer friendly" tools abstract the SQL away a bit, because devs are awful and write terrible queries or use cursors or unsanitized inputs if you let them.

As an admin, you'll also want to know SQL. Learn something for your language of choice, but also learn how to write queries in management studio or pgadmin or the console or whatever.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Doesn't MySQL still offer the world.sql database?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

Or use a VM. A Pi is going to be appallingly slow with any kind of real dataset.
The Raspberry Pi 2 has a full GB of RAM, which helps the situation tremendously. But yeah, a VM is a much more solid option unless you're already a Pi tinkerer.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

jaegerx posted:

Doesn't MySQL still offer the world.sql database?

Sakila is designed to replace world, I think.

Vulture Culture posted:

The Raspberry Pi 2 has a full GB of RAM, which helps the situation tremendously. But yeah, a VM is a much more solid option unless you're already a Pi tinkerer.

I meant the awful I/O more than memory, but yeah, the extra memory will help for sure if you wanna use a pi

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Does anyone have the link to the free windows 10 download? I recall it posted in one of these threads.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

jaegerx posted:

Does anyone have the link to the free windows 10 download? I recall it posted in one of these threads.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
So I'm interviewing at a large software company and they just got back to me telling me it's myself or one other person for the job - but they want my current salary first. They already have my number for what I want ($75K). Is it normal to not only get my current comp but also make a decision based of it? This is the first and only red flag I've seen so far, seems like a great company to work for and I really want the offer :ohdear: Currently at $61K with great benefits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don't give them your current salary.