Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hot Karl Marx posted:

As a professional pipe layer...

If I were you, I'd start literally every conversation with that intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
As a professional pipe liar, I concur.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Cat Hatter posted:

Well in that case, for $470,000 I should be able to walk through it and arrive on the other side of the galaxy.

Water pipe run through a bender, blue paint, and a day's crane rental shouldn't cost that much.

but but but but art

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SlipUp posted:

This was pretty bad too.

$470 000 to set this up in the loving boonies. A lot of idiots are trying to kill the art portion of infrastructure spending because of it.

I do kinda want to fly a biplane through it. Maybe we can sell it to Red Bull.

They didn't kill the art portion here despite it being well-known the mayor was just using it to give money to his friends, so don't worry your boondoggles are safe.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
It's the public projects being built to appease developers that are the boondoogles, the 1% art contribution puts it into perspective. No need to shoot the messenger.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SlipUp posted:

This was pretty bad too.

$470 000 to set this up in the loving boonies. A lot of idiots are trying to kill the art portion of infrastructure spending because of it.

I do kinda want to fly a biplane through it. Maybe we can sell it to Red Bull.

edmonton is supposed to be building a red one too. Now they're thinking with portals.

crossposting from AI, get your :stare: and your :stonk: ready

Bonus game, try to identify what came from where

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Here's a safe excavation ~8' deep that doesn't require shoring because of the sloping. We were moving some gas mains back (by moving I mean installing new mains and killing the old ones) because the city is deciding to put 13 roundabouts in on that street

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

But don't you see?

If the government doesn't spend money on C-class artists, who's gonna pay their rent?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Carbon dioxide posted:

But don't you see?

If the government doesn't spend money on C-class artists, who's gonna pay their rent?

The government. :v:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Here's a safe excavation ~8' deep that doesn't require shoring because of the sloping. We were moving some gas mains back (by moving I mean installing new mains and killing the old ones) because the city is deciding to put 13 roundabouts in on that street

Looking at the grassy area with a fence that looks closer to 8" deep.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

falz posted:

Looking at the grassy area with a fence that looks closer to 8" deep.

Those pipes are 12" in diameter

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The real problem with those big public art pieces that cost $400k is that they take a huge amount of money away from art spends that could instead support actual (especially local) artists, and pool it to instead spend on some trendy big name gently caress whose cache' is soulless giant inoffensive corporate-friendly sculpture.

Art shouldn't have to pass a test of "does everyone like it" and in fact no art can pass that test. But what we are getting instead is art designed and selected from the outset to not be upsetting to anyone, and simultaneously, to make the gatekeepers approving the artwork feel like they're immune to serious criticism because they selected a well-known artist who has already done lots of other public sculpture.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Leperflesh posted:

The real problem with those big public art pieces that cost $400k is that they take a huge amount of money away from art spends that could instead support actual (especially local) artists, and pool it to instead spend on some trendy big name gently caress whose cache' is soulless giant inoffensive corporate-friendly sculpture.

Art shouldn't have to pass a test of "does everyone like it" and in fact no art can pass that test. But what we are getting instead is art designed and selected from the outset to not be upsetting to anyone, and simultaneously, to make the gatekeepers approving the artwork feel like they're immune to serious criticism because they selected a well-known artist who has already done lots of other public sculpture.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
in vancouver we have this lovely publicly funded art installation of a poodle on a 20 foot pole that cost $100k that everyone hates:

but when someone erected (lol) this bad boy in a tiny, unused public park they spared no expense to tear it down the next day even though the public loved it:

:nws: (clicky)

osha.gif

goodnight sweet prince

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

Hmm, in that case maybe we should have public artwork created by people with no experience doing public artwork. Know any recent college graduates who want to build a sculpture for the new town hall?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

As a professional pipe layer, the only real problem with this is the actual excavation. Spill pile should be a meter away from the edge and there isn't a trench box or any sloping. Also he should be back filling normal to the trench and not parallel. Plus you usually wanna put sand on top of the pipe but that might just be gas pipelines, I don't work with water or sewers much (looks like a water main).

There's also no ladders, no sloping side, he is not wearing a harness with a safety line, also looks like it's over ten feet deep with no support.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Worse.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah no that's fine. He has redundant systems there in case one stick fails.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

I like how he goes for the obvious hand hold, then is all, "oops, not gonna touch a dong!"

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Uthor posted:

I like how he goes for the obvious hand hold, then is all, "oops, not gonna touch a dong!"

Might not be a load bearing dong. Saftey first, yo.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lard Goat posted:

obviously you've never been a pipe layer, beta bitch

thats not what ur mom was saying to me last night

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Those pipes are 12" in diameter

I don't doubt you, but my brain just refuses to believe that's an 8' pit without anything to latch onto.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

what the hell was she trying to even do? hug it?

edit: or even better question, why was she even back there when the machine was on, or even energized?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Robo Reagan posted:

thats not what ur mom was saying to me last night

Hoped you shored that thing properly. Roll-overs are very dangerous.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

OSHA related: That horse fell apart on top of its sculptor.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Jim%C3%A9nez_(sculptor)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

motoh posted:

OSHA related: That horse fell apart on top of its sculptor.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Jim%C3%A9nez_(sculptor)

I live in Colorado were that thing resides. My favorite names I have heard for it are Azul Diablo and Blucifer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least she came out..... Clean

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

A crane fell in Mecca.
http://www.rt.com/news/315082-crane-collapses-mecca-mosque/

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Speaking of Mecca, has anyone seen what it looks like right now? It makes Trump Tower look like a Motel 6.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

Hmm, in that case maybe we should have public artwork created by people with no experience doing public artwork. Know any recent college graduates who want to build a sculpture for the new town hall?

I dunno if you're serious, but in case you are: what you do is you put out a call for proposals, and you hire a juror or two (there are a lot of experienced artists who do work as jurors for shows, exhibitions, etc.) and you go through the several hundred different entries you'll be sent, by artists ranging from no-namers, high school kids, and college art students, through experienced small-town artists, grad students, someone-better-known artists, right up to the top elite: and the jurors select the entry they feel best suits the site, theme, budget, etc.

What you then don't do at this point is have the town council, mayor, corporate overlords, or most importantly a bunch of community activists, each have approval/rejection power over the top 10 entries selected by the jurors. What you also don't do is accept the proposed work and then demand the artist make a bunch of changes and compromises, based on your overinflated personal sense of expertise as an art consumer.

There are a lot of bad artists and there are a lot of good artists, and in both groups, there are a lot of artists that would be happy to do a large-scale sculpture for $10k. The vast majority of artists cannot make a full-time living creating & selling artworks. Especially sculptors. There are well-established processes that artists are familiar with to find and commission artworks; what's gone wrong is that political and corporate entities have worked very hard to subvert that process, mostly out of a terribly misguided attempt to avoid or deflect the potential for criticism of them, for selecting and funding work that someone finds offensive. I'm sure a lot of people dislike that poodle on a stick, but I'm also betting nobody involved in putting it there lost their job, or got sued.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/KVS0Uq6.gifv

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Some say he's still spinning.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Some say he's still spinning.

I was waiting for the strap to snap.
Left disappointed.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

JB50 posted:

I was waiting for the strap to snap.
Left disappointed.

Seriously, voted 1. Twice.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Propaganda Hour posted:

Speaking of Mecca, has anyone seen what it looks like right now? It makes Trump Tower look like a Motel 6.

religion pretty good way to make money, also helps that its in saudi arabia where they probably light money on fire for heat.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

They just had a major crane collapse killing about 80 people in the Grand Mosque.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

corpuscollossus posted:

They just had a major crane collapse killing about 80 people in the Grand Mosque.

Literally the post above the one you quoted.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm actually seriously wondering if the company I work for has any connection to that crane. We've done a ton of jobs training operators and trainers from the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Egypt, India, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm actually seriously wondering if the company I work for has any connection to that crane. We've done a ton of jobs training operators and trainers from the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Egypt, India, etc.

Bet your website loses any mention of that quicker than if you trained Hulk Hogan.

• Locked thread