Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

kastein posted:

I would imagine voltage and temp gauges were freaking out and the alt failure and/or check gauges lamps were on, but who the gently caress pays attention to those?

I always remember hearing a kid at my school say

"Yeah, I borrowed my dad's car and this oil light came on. But it went out when I went above 70, so I drove home at 80 and the light stayed out for the rest of the journey"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Terrible Robot posted:

It didn't get in the crankcase, where are you getting that from? It got sucked into the intake/combustion chambers where it then hydrolocked the engine, causing a rod to break free and try to see the world.

I'm not sure, I swear I read it somewhere on the article. I was going to say that surely hydrolocking would be much more likely in that situation.

I'm dumb.

dev/null
Dec 8, 2004

This custom title is not tax-deductible

Mooseykins posted:

I would guess that he somehow allowed the master cylinder pushrod to move too much (Passing the seals and either damaging or unseating them completely) and then just filled the fluid up and it leaked directly from the master pushrod opening into the booster body, into the vacuum supply line and into the inlet manifold.

The master's pushrod is pushed by a rod that attaches to the diaphragm and then the pedal, so the opening the master fits into in the booster body is the same chamber that the vacuum is present in, which is why it could go: master - booster - vacuum line - inlet manifold - throttle body.

Impressive!

Almost the exact scenario happened to two former coworkers.

They were investigating a car which had been in an minor accident where the driver claimed that the brakes had failed. The master cylinder had to be removed for analysis.
When they had replaced the master cylinder with a new one, they failed to align the pushrod into the seat of the MC piston, and when the brake pedal was pressed, the piston seal was punctured.

The fun part came when they were trying to bleed the system using a powerbleeder machine.
They connected the machine to the reservoir and let it run for a while, but it couldn't build up pressure and just kept on pumping fluid into the system. Something was obviously wrong, but they couldn't figure out where the fluid was going. No fluid leak underneath the car, nothing inside the footwell.
At last they decided to stop and investigate (after refilling the machine twice, using up 7 litres of brake fluid...)
At this point one of them came up with the idea to check the inlet manifold and saw that they managed to fill up the booster, the vacuum line, the manifold and at least two cylinders.

They managed to siphon out most of the fluid and start the engine, but the car was a total write-off anyway.

These two guys were maybe not the brightest in our workshop, but working together, they took stupidity to a new level...

dev/null fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 10, 2015

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

has to be one of my favourite mindsets, the whole 'well, something's not right, but we can't find what's wrong, so let's just keep on going'

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Ya I've done it before, too. I had a 65 Lincoln that had been sitting for a long time and I was getting it road ready. One of the first things I did was brake rebuild and bleed. Then I noticed the brake fluid was low after a few days of chasing vacuum leaks. I didn't see any leaks so I topped it off and figured I'd check the next day. The fluid level held over night but then at the end of the day it was low again.

I couldn't figure it out that while I was tuning the carb the engine was eating all the fluid until I went behind the car and smelled something weird and started seeing stars. Then everything clicked and I rebuilt the master.

I can see how if the leak was big enough and the filling constant one could hydrolock an engine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

lovely compact jump starter literally explodes then sets the car on fire. First time I've seen a car on fire at work!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Slavvy posted:

lovely compact jump starter literally explodes then sets the car on fire. First time I've seen a car on fire at work!

Holy poo poo, I just got my dad the one Matco sells for his birthday. :ohdear:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Slavvy posted:

All "lithium" jumpstarters smaller than the size of a motorcycle battery are garbage. I haven't seen a proper per-cell charge controller in a single one of them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

All "lithium" jumpstarters smaller than the size of a motorcycle battery are garbage. I haven't seen a proper per-cell charge controller in a single one of them.

I wondered about those. Never did trust them, seemed too risky.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

It was one of those, it had a usb charging port etc as well so I think it's intended as a thing you just carry in your car for emergencies. I have no idea why my boss(es) thought it'd be an awesome thing to have in a workshop where we jumpstart a dozen cars twice a day on average.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Slavvy posted:

It was one of those, it had a usb charging port etc as well so I think it's intended as a thing you just carry in your car for emergencies. I have no idea why my boss(es) thought it'd be an awesome thing to have in a workshop where we jumpstart a dozen cars twice a day on average.

The one I have has a proper charge balance circuit in it and even an 18V out for laptops, but it also cost 2x what most of the cheap eBay ones cost. It's really useful to carry around in the back of the car for when friends call me to say they left their headlights on last night.

Definitely has no place being in a commercial shop, though. Why don't you just have a couple of old batteries and some jumper cables? leave one on a charger and use the other 'till poo poo won't crank, then swap...

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

IOwnCalculus posted:

"We've bolted this portable mill to the engine. Now, we need to make sure it's level."

"Come on, make the noise..."

Sorry to be a page late, but I'm too excited to let this pass. I've been waiting 20 years to see an external reference to a machine from my old company! That portable mill is from the company where I cut my teeth as an engineer. I worked there 11 years designing odd custom machine tools for on-site applications like that. The guy who designed that mill was my mentor, he's one of those genius guys who's forgotten more than I'll ever know about machinery and engineering.

That was a seriously fun job, we'd get a weird request and knock a machine out in as little as 10 weeks from PO to delivery.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

LloydDobler posted:

Sorry to be a page late, but I'm too excited to let this pass. I've been waiting 20 years to see an external reference to a machine from my old company! That portable mill is from the company where I cut my teeth as an engineer. I worked there 11 years designing odd custom machine tools for on-site applications like that. The guy who designed that mill was my mentor, he's one of those genius guys who's forgotten more than I'll ever know about machinery and engineering.

That was a seriously fun job, we'd get a weird request and knock a machine out in as little as 10 weeks from PO to delivery.

Don't ever apologise for being excited about poo poo like that. Hell, I would go so far as to say that if you don't find that PDF interesting, you don't belong in AI.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

literally a fish posted:

The one I have has a proper charge balance circuit in it and even an 18V out for laptops, but it also cost 2x what most of the cheap eBay ones cost. It's really useful to carry around in the back of the car for when friends call me to say they left their headlights on last night.

Definitely has no place being in a commercial shop, though. Why don't you just have a couple of old batteries and some jumper cables? leave one on a charger and use the other 'till poo poo won't crank, then swap...

We actually have a proper jump starter like you describe, plus another one that's about an eight inch cube which is super handy because of the portability and the sheer number of flat cars that are always on the premises, so I really have no idea why they bought it. I think the sales guy was just really good at his job and they're children who don't know how to say no to any gadget kicked their way.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
How do people still manage to leave their lights on in a modern car? The last time I had to jump a battery was probably 10 years ago and the battery was nearly 6 years old. Only reason it died was that I didn't drive the car for 10 days while on vacation. But having 3 pedals I just push started it . I'm afraid to jump cars these days with all the fancy computers in them.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

I'm afraid to jump cars these days with all the fancy computers in them.

Why (or how) would said fancy computers care if the 12v supply is coming from in or outside the car?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

veedubfreak posted:

How do people still manage to leave their lights on in a modern car? The last time I had to jump a battery was probably 10 years ago and the battery was nearly 6 years old. Only reason it died was that I didn't drive the car for 10 days while on vacation. But having 3 pedals I just push started it . I'm afraid to jump cars these days with all the fancy computers in them.

I leave keys in the ON position in ignitions at work all the time and have to palm face in the mornings when that poo poo needs to go and customers up front paying for it and I gotta jump the bitch. All modern cars have assigned designated jump ports even If the battery is in the trunk. For a quick jump it shouldn't matter but I have seen a beemer get fried when a tech left a 100 amp charger (ment for quick charge) on it for like 3 hours.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I made this out of a spare truck battery and an old dolly at a shop I used to work at.

It's intended use was testing the wiring and lights on trucks and trailers but it was used to jump start cars at least three or four times a week. Not exactly something you can throw in your trunk though.

Tree guys are hard on equipment -

Broken front driveshaft on Versadyne 3K. Got stuck in two wheel drive, had to repair it in place.

Same 3K. Bolts for the motor mount sheared off in the engine block, had to remove the engine to fix.

No pictures but the same tree crew had one of these (Bandit 280 chipper)

separate from their truck* while driving on the interstate. Luckily it veered off to the right and into the woods. We got there to recover it and found the tongue embedded in a tree. We had to cut the tongue in half to recover it. As far as I know the trailer tongue is still stuck in tree. We repaired the trailer and they still use it.

*They didn't put the pin in it to lock it or connect the safety chains. $8,000 mistake.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Wouldn't it have been cheaper and easier to cut the tree?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

And grind it in the conveniently located grinder!

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Holy jesus gently caress that lock n stitch pdf. Thank y'all. Goddamn.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

The tongue was bent and twisted and would have needed to be replaced anyway. The chipper weighs close to five tons, that much weight coming to a sudden stop tweaked the entire fame of the trailer. We basically built a new frame for it and moved everything over to it. They actually got off pretty cheap on the repair bill, they spent a lot of money in the shop. Easily $40,000 a year.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Ford's wonderful 'drain' design, piss poor spot welds and 30 years of road salt make for a great time!

Fortunately, after making some exploratory cuts it looks like i can just replace the lower part of this rear quarter and hide the seam under the trim

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
This is more of a fabrication failure, but why bother getting the right wastegate actuator when you can do this instead?

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

zundfolge posted:

This is more of a fabrication failure, but why bother getting the right wastegate actuator when you can do this instead?

Because DSM.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Luckily it veered off to the right and into the woods. We got there to recover it and found the tongue embedded in a tree.

So the tree ate the wood chipper. Poetic.

zundfolge posted:

Hey, if it's stupid and works....

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

get your :stare: and your :stonk: ready

jesus christ, the more i identify where what came from, the more i laugh.

edit: the spare tire is inside the trunk. you can see the other half of the round bowl it sits in has been straightened.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 10, 2015

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Was that a Mondeo?

vv edit: you're right - it has the Focus door handles.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 11, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Looks like a Focus.

How long until we see a series of pictures detailing how that one shop puts it back together?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I assume that started off as one of those youtube clips of a drunk's lada careening through an intersection at a hundred miles an hour and that car was just minding it's own business.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Geirskogul posted:

I've slowly come to the conclusion that every single loving lithium ion powersports/motorsports/automotive battery product that isn't OEM is put together by psychopaths who don't care or ignorant fuckwads who don't know what they are doing. That Braille one I posted was a shitshow. CSB found pics of a Ballistic/AeroVoltz unit that was just as shoddily constructed. Now Slavvy and you post this about jumpstart packs.

The gently caress, people. Charge balancing is not unknown and also not expensive. Just do the right goddamn thing, holy poo poo.

rowebot44
Feb 21, 2006
It looks like the cylinder that is split and still in the trunk blew up.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

rowebot44 posted:

It looks like the cylinder that is split and still in the trunk blew up.

Red cylinders are usually for hydrogen, so unless that was a fire extinguisher...:stonk:

Was that some sort of weird HHO setup?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

zundfolge posted:

Red cylinders are usually for hydrogen, so unless that was a fire extinguisher...:stonk:

Was that some sort of weird HHO setup?

Russians seem to be trying all kinds of stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y5EhDglRqY

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The tie down strap that looks like confetti transforms it into art.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
What do you want to bet that's an Acetylene tank that was laid on it's side for transport in the trunk. Combine that with a broken up porous acetone-sink in the crappy tank, you apply a small kinetic shock to the tank, and voila, you have a magical >30psi Acetylene decomposition.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dannywilson posted:

What do you want to bet that's an Acetylene tank that was laid on it's side for transport in the trunk. Combine that with a broken up porous acetone-sink in the crappy tank, you apply a small kinetic shock to the tank, and voila, you have a magical >30psi Acetylene decomposition.

Considering the way that tank is burst, I'm willing to bet with you on that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Powershift posted:

Russians seem to be trying all kinds of stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y5EhDglRqY

This is what I've basically come to expect driving in Russia to be.
Just chugging along in traffic, minding your own beeswax, and suddenly some car up ahead of you just arbitrarily explodes for no adequately explored reason.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Data Graham posted:

This is what I've basically come to expect driving in Russia to be.
Just chugging along in traffic, minding your own beeswax, and suddenly some car up ahead of you just arbitrarily explodes for no adequately explored reason.

Also the people honking horns and routing around the exploded car like it's just an annoying inconvenience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
I was really anxious the whole video it would be the car right in front of the camera that was going to blow :ohdear: