Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

i think you might literally need to shut up and jam charles

hmm good point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

nomadologique posted:

ppl grow beards because it is a craze, not because it makes them more masculine. this is how fashion works: other people are doing it, and everybody agrees it's cool, so you do it too.

the reasons facial hair came back into fashion in the first place are probably more complex, but could be summarized as "because it wasn't cool before, which is enough to make it cool now." this is why fashion cycles about every 20 years; long enough for a thing not cool to become cool then become not cool then become cool.

The facial hair trend is weird because I went from being a hobo and unable to pick up girls, to being considered attractive/able to pick up just about anyone. Its on the decline again I think, but its been a loving wild ride. I don't understand fashion at all.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DaemonWyrm posted:

OHHHHH! Okay I get cuddle parties now.

No I guarantee you these idiots are sober and just having stupid hugging parties because they are weird fuckers.

MDMA cuddle parties are actually cool and usually have music and the girls shave their pits/don't have tumblr haircuts and you may even end up banging them.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

i wish this thread was gentrified

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

david... posted:

we're replacing some of the poo poo posters with artisanal, locally-sourced posters

you'll never notice the difference

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

soy posted:

MDMA cuddle parties are actually cool and usually have music and the girls shave their pits/don't have tumblr haircuts and you may even end up banging them.

this is what happens after raves it's p great

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

momerath posted:

i unironically think gentrification is good even though i hate hipsters. i remember new york city being pretty loving scary in the 90s now i can walk around and eat at "quirky" diners. the scariest thing is getting into a conversation with some failing actor or some poo poo.

But now you can't be a post-apocalyptic urban badass like you could in the 70s/80s. Parts of my little western Canadian town are worse than NY now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPD-YfKXM5E

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Reverse Centaur posted:

But now you can't be a post-apocalyptic urban badass like you could in the 70s/80s. Parts of my little western Canadian town are worse than NY now.

Did Three Olives film this

They all look like regular people to me

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

david... posted:

I wish this thread was garfield'ed

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

EugeneJ posted:

Regular people in Vancouver are Chinese multi-millionaires driving lambos.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i like how even in Canada their horrible scary places don't look like Americas poo poo holes . Lmao at how even the street hustlers were polite

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

those homeless people / white trash junkies dont look murderous at all and that youtube guy is a kind of a dickhead, imo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

meanwhile in the USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9uzDelNvDg

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Frog Act posted:

those homeless people / white trash junkies dont look murderous at all and that youtube guy is a kind of a dickhead, imo

Yeah he is. The area isn't dangerous at all, just looks bad.

Anyway to tie it all together, here's our ridiculously handsome mayor taking a selfie with his millenial Chinese pop star girlfriend

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yeah he is. The area isn't dangerous at all, just looks bad.

Anyway to tie it all together, here's our ridiculously handsome mayor taking a selfie with his millenial Chinese pop star girlfriend

this picture is making me feel some type of way

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

that's really sad

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

would smash and champagne bottle girl too but wouldn't tell anyone

this is awesome and also russia.jpg material

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Reverse Centaur posted:

I can't tell if the uploader is trolling or not, and I can't tell if you referencing this is a troll or not. Help :(

That looks like a nice part of town and the people seem friendly/largely uninterested. When he stopped and looked at the two girls I thought he was going to get his rear end beat. Instead they kept talking.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Chomp8645 posted:

The GI bill exists to waste money. It's practically a pork program to enrich the University of Phoenix for no output.

Truth:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/collegeinc/

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Khorne posted:

I can't tell if the uploader is trolling or not, and I can't tell if you referencing this is a troll or not. Help :(

That looks like a nice part of town and the people seem friendly/largely uninterested. When he stopped and looked at the two girls I thought he was going to get his rear end beat. Instead they kept talking.

OK OK I get it, some of you guys live in a worse shithole than East Hastings, but calling it nice is funny. It is objectively horrible - not dangerous - but a jarring concentration of poverty, drug use and mental illness and decay in an otherwise affluent city.

Klimpy Borf
Oct 22, 2010

Reverse Centaur posted:

The swelling music in the background like this man is some some kind of hero for walking around a sketch neighborhood in the middle of the day.

Beautiful.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i used to see people on the hard nod right around the corner from where i lived

come on baby gimme some

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Reverse Centaur posted:

[video type="youtube"]vPD-YfKXM5E[/

[quote="\"Reverse Centaur\"" post="\"450051729\""]

[video type=\"youtube\"]vPD-YfKXM5E[/video]

Goon spotted

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

eerily similar to the big foot photo

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I've noticed a distinct lack of black people in this thread. Are they left out because of the crippling economic/social inequality or do they simply know better

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Reverse Centaur posted:

OK OK I get it, some of you guys live in a worse shithole than East Hastings, but calling it nice is funny. It is objectively horrible - not dangerous - but a jarring concentration of poverty, drug use and mental illness and decay in an otherwise affluent city.
Some fat white guy stopped and stared at people and no one even shot him a glare nevermind hassling him. There are literally well maintained office buildings, multiple businesses, a bunch of normal people who clearly have jobs, and a few hippies/lesbians/junkies hanging around but otherwise minding their own business.

It's nice in the context of walking down it, and it's far from bad. It's obviously not affluent or flashy.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
"parts of my city are more violent than NYC now!"

first, it's canada. lol.

second, NYC really isn't that violent anymore. it was way worse in the 80s, last time I was there a GC told me about using padlocks & log chains to lock up work trucks to keep easily saleable bits -- usually the battery -- from getting jacked from parked trucks. now NYC has a violent crime rate per capita that is lower than the national average.

third, compare it to an actual shithole, with desperate people, lots of guns, and drug habits. your average US town has armed methheads running around or blowing up their homes.

per capita, cities tend to be safer.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The most millenial thing about this thread is the idiot whining about Vancouver like it's the center of the fuckin' universe.

Fuckin' Vancouver exceptionalism.

naem
May 29, 2011

The not-rich Brooklyn neighborhood I lived in was solidly middle class and safe, there was a Macy's and a Starbucks and a shopping district, old timers would complain it wasn't all I-talian which was fun, I guess it was people like me from the Midwest going to school causing that change originally-

But when rent prices next door suddenly went up to $5000 bucks it was a bunch of weirdly out of shape bearded oddly dressed fixed gear bike riders and their plastic frame glasses suspenders girlfriends smirking weirdly who were paying for it. Like there was a factory churning them out somewhere.

Other millennial non-hipsters watched confused. A bunch of jersey shore-ish locals into weightlifting who grew up in the area would get angry as beardy mcglassestattooneck gave them attitude and really awkward imbalanced shoving matches would break out. I saw a guy (in a newsboy cap and suspenders) get out of his car and break a plastic shower curtain rod over a much larger guys head one day over a parking spot

Imagine Lena Dunham and J-Wow screaming at each other in a coffee shop and Lena Dunham somehow winning

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

naem posted:

Imagine Lena Dunham and J-Wow screaming at each other in a coffee shop and Lena Dunham somehow winning

lol

Rime posted:

The most millenial thing about this thread is the idiot whining about Vancouver like it's the center of the fuckin' universe.

It's exceptionally horrible especially the whole housing bubble and also lack of good paying jobs.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rime posted:

lol says the king whiner of the Vancouver thread. No one here is whining.

Apologies for the stupid derail though.

Risky
May 18, 2003

blarzgh posted:

OMG, this video of 4 men (three black, one white) sexually assaulting a woman walking down the street is about to go viral:
https://youtu.be/25rL-ooWICU?t=86

I love that this R&B group had a nerdy white IT guy in the band

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Risky posted:

I love that this R&B group had a nerdy white IT guy in the band
The "nerdy white IT guy" is married to a friend of mine.

I got nothing bad to say she is very sweet. Sorry GBS.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

froward posted:

"parts of my city are more violent than NYC now!"

first, it's canada. lol.

second, NYC really isn't that violent anymore. it was way worse in the 80s, last time I was there a GC told me about using padlocks & log chains to lock up work trucks to keep easily saleable bits -- usually the battery -- from getting jacked from parked trucks. now NYC has a violent crime rate per capita that is lower than the national average.

third, compare it to an actual shithole, with desperate people, lots of guns, and drug habits. your average US town has armed methheads running around or blowing up their homes.

per capita, cities tend to be safer.

Well all the really dangerous parts of NYC are pushed out to Newark and Elizabeth now anyway.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Strangers often come up to me and ask if I'm a boy or a girl. Who are you, Professor Oak in the beginning of a loving Pokemon game? Mind your own god drat business.

- M.W.A.
Millennials With Attitude

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

strangers often come up to me and punch me in the face

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You know you aren't a millennial if you don't get Pokemon references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mariana Horchata posted:

Strangers often come up to me and ask if I'm a boy or a girl. Who are you, Professor Oak in the beginning of a loving Pokemon game? Mind your own god drat business.

- M.W.A.
Millennials With Attitude

well judging by the twinkish, baby-smooth appearance they definitely aren't a man

though in this day and age there are dudes who would take that as a compliment

• Locked thread