Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

killerwhat posted:

Hey are there any London/SE England goons here who want a rat cage? Had the last of our rats put down a couple of weeks ago.
We have a Furplast Jenny cage (we used it as a holiday cage) and a big metal Aventura cage available.

http://www.ferplast.com/en/shop/jenny
http://www.littlepetwarehouse.co.uk/products/metal-aventura-huge-metal-rat-ferret-chinchilla-cage.html

Seems like new the Jenny is over £100 and the Aventura now over £200. They're both a bit rusty/worn but still very usable. I don't want any money for them, I'll put them on Gumtree otherwise.

The Aventura is a fantastic cage. Been trying to sort out some replacement shelves but you said yours are a bit rusty so I imagine they're just like ours are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Obvious Plant Care Sheet: This is obviously not a plant.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
It must be a fit rat indeed if he's gonna live 3-5 years.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I've noticed my rat has a couple scabs on his chin and neck area. I looked through the OP wondering if this might be mites because that's what a google search showed but I don't see that as a symptom in the OP. Should I just ignore it or get some lice treatment?

Edit: Mites are not lice

Xeras fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 17, 2015

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Xeras posted:

I've noticed my rat has a couple scabs on his chin and neck area. I looked through the OP wondering if this might be mites because that's what a google search showed but I don't see that as a symptom in the OP. Should I just ignore it or get some lice treatment?

Edit: Mites are not lice

When in doubt, give a course of ivermectin

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

What you want is a tube of 1.87% ivermectin horse/cow wormer paste. It's a white paste in a toothpaste looking tube, you can get it at a feed store for less than 5$. Each rat should get a tiny dot of the cream on top of a treat once a week for 3 weeks.

If you use packaged bedding like carefresh or whatever "pet bedding" from the pet store, you should freeze it overnight before you use it. That'll kill the mites before they can get on your rats.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

My wife and I are planning our trip to visit our families for the winter, which involves a 3 hour flight each way from large airports. Is there any good way of taking our rats with us/shipping them for a reasonable price? The alternative is to find someone who can watch our rats during the break, which seems like what we might have to do, but it'd be nice to not have to ask that of friends.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
OK, so I'm pricing some cages and stuff. Would a cage with half-inch spacing and dimensions 17.5"L x 28"W x 31.5"H work for two rats? I found a rat adoption center and I have some extra money so I think it may be time to give a home to some rats in need. Here's a lovely picture of it!

aerique
Jul 16, 2008

Luminous Cow posted:

Would a cage with half-inch spacing and dimensions 17.5"L x 28"W x 31.5"H work for two rats?

Looks good enough from afar. Make sure to drape the insides with hammocks, sputniks and playthings.

Here's my rats' cage which is still kinda empty: https://theta360.com/s/o9S84gh34tnRGZWiOAVj7SKFk

And the sputnik which might even beat the hammock as favorite sleeping, chill-out place for my rats:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Welp, I've officially had my rats for two years now. :3:

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Zlocista posted:

My wife and I are planning our trip to visit our families for the winter, which involves a 3 hour flight each way from large airports. Is there any good way of taking our rats with us/shipping them for a reasonable price? The alternative is to find someone who can watch our rats during the break, which seems like what we might have to do, but it'd be nice to not have to ask that of friends.

I've heard horror stories about shipping animals, rats in particular. Not something I'd want to do, personally. I did once take one of my rats on the plane in a cat carrier to get from one side of the country to the other (the carrier counted as my carry-on), but you'll want to call the airline ahead of time to find out their policies on such matters. I hardly ever travel by air, so I don't know how viable this these days.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I'm having to hand-feed one of my rats because he's terminally ill. Does anyone know how much water they need per day, and how much food and of what type on a liquid diet would be enough?

e: He just died (9/24). :(

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 25, 2015

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

A male rat, iirc, should be getting around 100 nutrient rich calories a day. Active rats need a lot of water, between 20 and 50 ml per day.

Good luck, I know how hard it can be. If he has no quality of life, it's probably time for your vet to put him down.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Our older rat died today. She was the sweetest rat I have ever known. She never peed on us, she licked us, she liked being petted. She was probably 2 1/2 - 3 years old.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Awr, so many deaths lately. Condolences to you all.

In other news, i now have a job at Petsmart and we got rats in! Oct 2nd they go on the sale floor and after my shift ends (opening to 1 pm whee) I'm gonna pick one up- we have a beige-ish/light cinnamon one with black eyes that I've been handling. Gonna name 'im Hamilton.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Get two instead.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Falstaff posted:

Get at least two instead.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Jack Trades posted:

Falstaff posted:

Get at least two instead.

Instructions unclear, ended up with 8. That was fun.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
My mom bitched enough about one. Plus we only had one in stock (and not the one I wanted.)

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Two rats take up the same amount of space though? And it's really important for them to have cage mates.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

dovetaile posted:

My mom bitched enough about one. Plus we only had one in stock (and not the one I wanted.)
Seriously, get two or none. This isn't a crazy Pet Island thing, it's really really important unless you can play with your solo rat for 8+ hours a day, they're super sociable and if left alone will get depressed and sick.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dovetaile posted:

We're warning you. If your rat will have to spend most of his time alone then he will quickly get depressed and sick. It's not a crazy rat-owner thing, it's a fact about rats.
Do not leave rats alone without a cage-mate, unless you want them to die even faster than they normally do.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
He has a companion. I bought one rat to be a companion for my already-at-home rat.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Good, they'll both be much happier and healthier that way. Thanks for taking our advice.

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008
I am in need of advice. One of my rats has an upper respiratory infection and was prescribed doxycycline and Baytril. I am having no luck getting any of it in him. I've mixed it with several foods that he would usually go nuts over, but no luck. Is there anything else I can do? I'm worried that I'm going to lose him.

Edit: I found a way to hold him so I could get him to take his meds.

RubySprinkles fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 20, 2015

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Hey rat thread my boys had their 1st birthday today so I made them a tiny ugly cake

They would only eat it when it was in my hand so I had to put the camera down, no action shots, and no they did not get to eat it all, they got a small slice.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I make my rats cupcakes for their birthday. :3: They love it.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I should have made a cupcake, I tried to be fancy and healthy at the same time, that poo poo never works out

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hey rat!goons, chirping in rats, good or bad? He's not sneezing, there's no porphyrin staining, he's just chirping.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dovetaile posted:

Hey rat!goons, chirping in rats, good or bad? He's not sneezing, there's no porphyrin staining, he's just chirping.

Depends on what exactly it sounds like.
If the sound occurs at regular intervals and you think that it might be correlated with him breathing in/out then it's really bad but rats sometimes make similar sounds for no reason as well.

Try this: http://www.ratbehavior.org/norway_rat_vocalizations.htm
Maybe you'll find the sound that your ratties make.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

dovetaile posted:

Update time! Took him to the vet Friday and it turns he's got a bit of a respiratory infection. The vet said he didn't sound too bad at least and now he's got delicious strawberry shortcake flavored baytril evil evil medicine that Daddy is clearly torturing him with.

eggburger
Jan 16, 2014

eggburger fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 26, 2022

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Many, many female rats get tumors, and operations are common. Obviously it's not without risk, but people do it all the time especially with young rats that have a lot of life left.

She may develop more down the line and it will be a choice whether to operate again. Supposedly getting them spayed helps prevent mammary tumors. I'm sorry about your girl, that really sucks.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

pine posted:

Oh, help. My poor beautiful little Panther rat has a lump that the vet says is almost definitely cancerous (she's as sure as she can be without doing the needle biopsy thing). She's only 8 months old and is otherwise very feisty and healthy, always eating and sniffing everything, and is a big strong girl, and I seem to have noticed it early, so the vet recommends operating. I've got to watch it for any growth for the next week or so and then see the vet again and discuss options.

I'm in bits and my head is all over the place. Tell me anything you think will help me get my head around this please lovely ratgoons. :((((((((((

Get it removed. Almost all my females have gotten at least one little lump, the smaller it is the easier the surgery and recover so dont let it get huge before you do something about it. Even if it isnt cancer, some of the "benign" tumors can get huge and just be a quality of life issue, so get it done while its small.

eggburger
Jan 16, 2014

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Yep rats are pretty resilient when it comes to tumours, it's probably not even hurting her. I had a rat that had a tumor for 8 months (he was too old to operate) and it never bothered him or impeded his activities.
If she chews or messes with it, it might be bothering her but otherwise I wouldn't worry too much!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

She’ll be fine. My nearly-three rat had a massive tumour on her chest and up until she finally had to get put down due to a mix of it, something else and being a rat that was nearly three, she only acknowledged the thing to use it as a table and a pillow.

In alive-rat news Smaslug and Dyna are coming up for six months and are the friendliest, happiest little things in the world. If you so much as open the cage door Smaslug desperately climbs out to cuddle into your shoulder and boggle.

eggburger
Jan 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
What's a good diet to put a fat rat? One of my rats has gotten pretty chubby these last few months. I think it might be the rat food I give them (Reggie Rat), but I don't know what else to get them since I actually use my rice and other grains now for people food.