Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Man, the game fell the hell apart in the third act. It seems they would have seen Mass Effect 3 and -not- follow its example.

Konami is leaving the games industry except for cellphone stuff and Pro Evolution Soccer after this, they literally don't care about cutting content at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

lovely Wizard posted:

Konami is leaving the games industry except for cellphone stuff and Pro Evolution Soccer after this, they literally don't care about cutting content at all.

I guess that makes sense, but it's one hell of a letdown. It was an amazing first act and Mission 43 was brilliant and poignant, but the whole rest of the second half was just lackluster and running in circles.

What I don't get is why they made you play the entire hour-long intro sequence all over again. I get that they wanted to show differences, but the entire thing from when you started crawling to when the car crashes is shot-for-shot identical. It's just boring.

I don't know, I feel like there could have just been -so much more- and it was squandered. Now I feel like I have a bad taste in my mouth and it really sucks, because the game is great otherwise.

If Konami gives this few fucks about the plot of a metal gear game then I shudder to think how messed up MGO will be

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 11, 2015

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's hard to understand why metal gear online happened at all when Konami is dumping this game and sprinting away from it as fast as humanly possible. I'm sure it will be a trainwreck on many levels and they will euthanize it quickly but it being greenlit in the first place is a little mind boggling

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
This game has a better ending than Mass Effect 3

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

^^^^ I suspect that is mostly because all this stuff got wrapped up in MGS4 and since then we've just been tacking on stuff rather than trying to finish off a series.

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's hard to understand why metal gear online happened at all when Konami is dumping this game and sprinting away from it as fast as humanly possible. I'm sure it will be a trainwreck on many levels and they will euthanize it quickly but it being greenlit in the first place is a little mind boggling

I assume that it's entirely because they said it was coming out so now they have to release some mimicry of it or get sued. Kind of like how the movie studios have to keep making lovely movies out of certain superheroes or they lose the rights.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
It's just insane that they're salting the earth and just essentially shitcanning all of Kojima Studios. According to a Vice article :

quote:

According to the report, employees who were deemed "not useful" (or "useless," according to several translations) were forced to work at the company's pachinko machine factory, as security guards at the company's headquarters, or cleaning staff at one of the gyms the company operates. (Konami makes games, but it's also in the pachinko slot machine and "fitness club" business.)

According to the report, this treatment extended to high level producers and developers who worked on big games, not just entry-level positions. These allegations are corroborated by a 2013 report in which a Konami developer said he suffered from severe depression after being transferred to the pachinko factory.

The Nikkei report also suggests that Konami keeps a very close eye on employees' personal time at work. Employees check in and out for lunch with time cards, which is something you might do at a service job, but is highly unusual for game developers. The names of employees who took long lunch breaks were announced to the rest of the company. Konami's office also allegedly has security cameras to monitor employees. Finally, employees have to use randomized addresses that change regularly to email people outside the company, though it's not clear if this is meant to prevent headhunting or just make it more difficult to send personal emails on company time.

It's not as if they put them all on phone games and pachinko or something, it's as if they're actively trying to make their life hell so they quit rather than fire them even though the studio hasn't managed to disprove their worth financially. It's insane.

What benefit is there to this shitshow?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Surprise, incredibly rich executives tend to be petty shithead manchildren. Everything that has ever come out about Konami's working conditions and structure point to it being an incredibly hostile / toxic environment full of people being assholes to each other just because they can.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

lovely Wizard posted:

It's not as if they put them all on phone games and pachinko or something, it's as if they're actively trying to make their life hell so they quit rather than fire them even though the studio hasn't managed to disprove their worth financially. It's insane.

What benefit is there to this shitshow?

Some lovely old Konami execs managed to get a hate stiffy out of the whole thing, that's about it. It's entirely petty corporate politics even by Japanese standards (!)

I hope all the details get dragged into the light in the years to come for the sake of the little people who had their careers hosed up for zero reason whatsoever. My favorite disgusting detail out of those reports was that if you quit, Konami would call your next employer and talk as much poo poo about you as possible.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

That...that is certainly something :stare:

I guess they are trying to get people to quit rather than get fired for some sort of financial reason but that seems pretty extreme. I can certainly see how it would be effective for a company that is completely shutting down, but Konami is still going to -exist- so who does this help?

Also I only just now realized that Silent Hill and Metal Gear, my two favorite series, are both owned by this lovely company. I probably should have realized that when the PT debacle occurred but I am not a smart man

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I guess that makes sense, but it's one hell of a letdown. It was an amazing first act and Mission 43 was brilliant and poignant, but the whole rest of the second half was just lackluster and running in circles.

What I don't get is why they made you play the entire hour-long intro sequence all over again. I get that they wanted to show differences, but the entire thing from when you started crawling to when the car crashes is shot-for-shot identical. It's just boring.

I don't know, I feel like there could have just been -so much more- and it was squandered. Now I feel like I have a bad taste in my mouth and it really sucks, because the game is great otherwise.

If Konami gives this few fucks about the plot of a metal gear game then I shudder to think how messed up MGO will be
I think the ending is actually one of the strongest in metal gear. It doesn't have the clean cut that 3 had or the dope as hell Mr President stinger of 1 but the final scene tying directly to the opening and Venom struggling with his identity before accepting destiny with only big boss short tape as narration is definitely my favorite cinematic in the series.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's terse and effective when most endings in the series are over verbose.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

I think the ending is actually one of the strongest in metal gear. It doesn't have the clean cut that 3 had or the dope as hell Mr President stinger of 1 but the final scene tying directly to the opening and Venom struggling with his identity before accepting destiny with only big boss short tape as narration is definitely my favorite cinematic in the series.

It is certainly cool, but at the same time it left gaping plot holes. If it was a game without sequels then I would just write it off as a cliffhanger but we already know what happens in the future and english parasites/god-metal gears didn't play a role in it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It is certainly cool, but at the same time it left gaping plot holes. If it was a game without sequels then I would just write it off as a cliffhanger but we already know what happens in the future and english parasites/god-metal gears didn't play a role in it.

It set up like everything except how eli became liquid. I think a lot of people hoped it would lead up right into like mgs1 but I think that would be a lame way to go. You see Venoms story through to the very end, Snakes infiltration is about to begin. Zero has gone into hiding, Ocelot is scheming and Miller is planning how to train his successors to take down BB.

The while game is basically him remembering his past as he struggles between deciding to be the boss and himself, its a good way to end an open world game while leaving you free to continue playing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I admit, I can't think of any glaring plot holes beyond the Eli thing.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The only two things I really wish they had included:

Operation Intrude. Either from Solid's POV or Venom's. It would have had been pretty brutal to watch the base you just spent like 50 hours building getting dismantled, and if it switched POVs and forced you to be the one to pull the trigger on Venom, they could have wrung out a lot of extra tension / drama. You get a hint of it in the final cutscene, but a deeper look at the motivations behind Intrude would have been really satisfying.

The other thing I really wanted was the ability to pilot a Metal Gear in the open world. Didn't even have to be Sahelanthropus - even the Battle Gear would have been amazing. Just imagine the feeling of that Rex v. Ray fight, but instead your are stomping around Afghanistan and laying waste to entire outposts with a railgun. Bombardments are still rad as hell to watch, but a Metal Gear would have really ramped up the destructive spectacle.

Part of me wanted to see baby's first Foxhound getting formed and all, but I'm kind of glad they didn't do that in retrospect because I think Kojima's writing is a lot weaker when he feels like he has to force the fan-service into his plot.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like how the credits timeline just ignores Solidus. Poor guy works his way to the presidency and no one gives him any respect, it's always "David this" and "David that".

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I admit, I can't think of any glaring plot holes beyond the Eli thing.

That is a pretty drat big glaring plothole though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

That is a pretty drat big glaring plothole though.

It absolutely is and I'm not discounting that, but it's at least one with a resolution (if not at all the way it should be resolved.)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

It set up like everything except how eli became liquid. I think a lot of people hoped it would lead up right into like mgs1 but I think that would be a lame way to go. You see Venoms story through to the very end, Snakes infiltration is about to begin. Zero has gone into hiding, Ocelot is scheming and Miller is planning how to train his successors to take down BB.

The while game is basically him remembering his past as he struggles between deciding to be the boss and himself, its a good way to end an open world game while leaving you free to continue playing.

I think a large part of my issue with it is the way it was presented. It didn't feel like we "earned" the ending, we just did a few side ops extra then the truth opened up. And having to go through that entire hospital scene for something that you figure out five minutes into it, blurg.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
I think this game just shows that a mgs2 style ruse is impossible these days. I mean people predicted the medic was the protagonists back when ground zeroes came out.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I thought it was pretty sweet how Kaz yelled "The prosecution calls a witness!" and they roll out the loving Peace Walker AI. I did NOT see that coming. Then it plays back a recording of the very woman who died in it. "HUEY LET ME OUT! HUEY!"

And he has the nerve to try to worm his way out of it. I wish I could say I never met someone like that in my life, but I did (not a murderer, fortunately).

Back when I played Ground Zeroes I wasn't too cool on the idea of Huey selling out MSF to be destroyed, because he seemed alright in Peace Walker, but I gotta give Phantom Pain credit, they made it really a lot more palatable.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I think a large part of my issue with it is the way it was presented. It didn't feel like we "earned" the ending, we just did a few side ops extra then the truth opened up. And having to go through that entire hospital scene for something that you figure out five minutes into it, blurg.

Or if you're familiar with the song and what it's about, literally the second you boot the game up!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I enjoyed doing it again because I got to see the cool apc driver just ram the gently caress out of volgin again.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's slow to start up yah but its still really dope and intense and fornke at least itnwas like 80 hours since I saw it last.

If they made you do the horse chase too then I might concede, but not here!!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

It's slow to start up yah but its still really dope and intense and fornke at least itnwas like 80 hours since I saw it last.

If they made you do the horse chase too then I might concede, but not here!!

it's easily one of the best setpieces i've ever played.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of the horse chase, anyone managed to do that without letting Volgin attack? That side objective is pretty drat hard for it being the first mission.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of the horse chase, anyone managed to do that without letting Volgin attack? That side objective is pretty drat hard for it being the first mission.
I did it without even realizing I'd done it, but I'm playing on PC. Main thing is lead him and don't spam shots, stagger them a bit.

I got hosed on Truth because I assumed it had the same bonus requirements as Awakening but no, Awakening requires you to be stealthy and not get hit while Truth requires you to silence everybody and shoot the Man on Fire.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

ToxicAcne posted:

I think this game just shows that a mgs2 style ruse is impossible these days. I mean people predicted the medic was the protagonists back when ground zeroes came out.

The twist was obvious on purpose. Anyone who played mgs2 should have known after entering their name and bday that they wouldn't be playing as the same character as the prologue. I knew the whole way through and doublethought my way into believing I was big boss the whole time.

But, the twist was even more powerful than I thought. You don't play as 'the medic' in MGSV. It's you. You were the boss of MG1. Best twist ending to a story EVER.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nakar posted:

I did it without even realizing I'd done it, but I'm playing on PC. Main thing is lead him and don't spam shots, stagger them a bit.

I got hosed on Truth because I assumed it had the same bonus requirements as Awakening but no, Awakening requires you to be stealthy and not get hit while Truth requires you to silence everybody and shoot the Man on Fire.

I'll try staggering next time. Last I tried, I hit every shot, but he still just threw out attacks randomly, even if he was far enough behind that he missed every single time.

It just sucks that you have to go through the whole tutorial to give it a shot.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

it's easily one of the best setpieces i've ever played.

I wasn't expecting 43 to get to me but when you get to the basement and all your soldiers decide to trust in you and stand still and salute while you mercy kill them one after the other is so heartbreaking.
They're humming too! That's cheating Kojima!

It's also a good example of gameplay and storytelling blendig together, because the idroid blipping in with staff member killed everytime, and also I even recognized some of the solders as specific volunteers or guys I fultonedl myself.

The ui and mechanics support the emotional gutpunch.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 11, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

I wasn't expecting 43 to get to me but when you get to the basement and all your soldiers decide to trust in you and stand still and salute while you mercy kill them one after the other is so heartbreaking.
They're humming too! That's cheating Kojima!

I felt like crap after playing that level. I have been comparing it to Spec Ops the Line Lite, and it seems appropriate.

"Just like you said, Boss, never point a weapon at an ally!" God drat it solider, why

E for your E. And yes, the heroism hit with each one was a nice touch because it drove home that this isn't just a set piece, these are your soldiers and you will be penalized accordingly

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
America is a country of liberty

*stares intently at scenery*

RATHER THAN SOMETHING SOMETHING SANS LINGUA FRAN WOOOORRDSS THAT KILL WOULD YOU SPEAAKKAK THEM TO MEEE

*stares off longingly*

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I felt like crap after playing that level. I have been comparing it to Spec Ops the Line Lite, and it seems appropriate.

"Just like you said, Boss, never point a weapon at an ally!" God drat it solider, why

E for your E. And yes, the heroism hit with each one was a nice touch because it drove home that this isn't just a set piece, these are your soldiers and you will be penalized accordingly

Did you get all the Wandering mother base soldiers too?

The payoff actually made me less mad about gzs ending because ithat tape shows that Venom and the person he used to be still exists somewhere inside his head and paz is giving voice to those memories.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
the twist is going to be that there really IS going to be something on 9/11, and it's going to complete the entire game, and it'll be loving amazing

and absolutely none of it will be in english. skullface's revenge is complete

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine
I'm seriously thinking this whole Kojima leaving Konami rumor is bull poo poo. They have never confirmed it. Just vague answers after vague answers. It even started on April 1st when they removed his name from the executives list. Then they say that they're going to be focusing on mobile games, one of which generated $6 million. Sure, reduced costs paying staff for a bit of profit, but MGS4 pulled in $950 million on a $60 million budget.

They're actually trying to make us believe what we're hearing.

Unused audio being taken down by a copyright, while Mission 51 remains untouched. We weren't supposed to find that.

What they've done is created a literal Phantom Pain. This countdown we're all watching? Originally titled "Kojimalives", has now become Black Hound.

We want our Kojima to continue to give us what we seemingly cannot have because of these rumors. We lost one of our favorite directors. Silent Hill as well. We've lost a lot, and are longing for what's no longer there. The end of Metal Gear. The end of Silent Hill. The era of Pachinko is nearing.

Compare the head transplant doctor to the one in-game. His ted talk was done in Cyprus. Same country we wake up in.

Chapters from his book include: GEMINI, HEAVEN, Clones, The Big Chill.

I know its been claimed the doctor is meant to look like his voice actor, but until 2013, Sergio Canavero had never been searched or published about. MGS V is announced as such June of 2013. Sergio is mentioned for the first time in July.

He transplants Big Boss' head into yours. Not directly, mind you, but after you create your character, you go right back to looking like Big Boss.

This article just makes Konami sound like your motherbase.

Article posted:

That Konami game developers who aren’t seen as useful are reassigned to jobs as security guards, cleaning staff at the company’s fitness clubs or roles at a pachi-slot machine factory. This includes not just junior staff, but producers who have worked on well-known game titles. In 2013, Asahi News, one of Japan’s largest newspapers, ran an interview with a former Konami staffer who allegedly went from game development to working in Konami’s pachi-slot factory, causing him to experience severe depression.

This was found on the ingsoc website.

Most likely options:
  1. SH = Silent Hill
  2. GD = Guillermo Del Toro
  3. HJ = Hideo Kojima
  4. NR = Norman Reedus
  5. KS = Konami ?
  6. KP = Kojima Productions
  7. ZE = Zone of the Enders
  8. MG = Metal Gear
  9. BB = Big Boss
  10. 84 = 1984
  11. PI = Please Insert
  12. NT = Next Tape

Please Insert Next Tape 02.

Everyone kinda thought Paz was alive if they didn't read the spoilers. We believed what we were given. Konami has said jack poo poo about pretty much anything, everything we've heard has been from articles being written from unnamed employees. Unlike Venom, we haven't been given the truth yet. Which we will tomorrow. Either Kojima is legitimately canned or they've been playing the worlds biggest April fools joke. They literally force you to do a simulation of being invaded and invading an enemy FOB. You access MGO from the iDroid's Match feature. Do you really think they wouldn't tie in into the story somehow? That it'd just show up without Miller yelling about some stupid poo poo about your men getting revenge on the battlefield? I mean, it's entirely possible, but they created a fake game studio to announce the loving game. The Man who Sold the World isn't the Boss, it's goddamn Kojima.

Chippita fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 11, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Source your quotes or seek out powerful medication.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

How they did chico in blows though, not even a tiny bit of memorial. Either as Boss or Medic your gu should have memories of the lil dude.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

How they did chico in blows though, not even a tiny bit of memorial. Either as Boss or Medic your gu should have memories of the lil dude.

There's a tape where Miller and Boss talk about how lovely it is.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

half-life 3 confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Considering Paz's true memorial was being an anime poster girl for the staff, as well as warning signs, it might be best to forget Chico

• Locked thread