Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

http://gostyle.j2m.cz/WAPP_RES/158fa4d4-1201-4cff-8c2e-a6cab38d2c8b/

I think it just overstates by about two stones consistently, I would not be 3d anywhere outside Japan...

EDIT:

It does cover my style of play pretty well, though. I am the Most Boring to play against

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
I wonder what it would say if you fed it 40 Lee Sedol games

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Lot of folk call me Calm Moyo.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Thickness levels: Shinogi

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

AdorableStar posted:

Someone buy and name it ITGO
It's too big. And scaling it 66% makes it unreadable. :shrug:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Unreadable as in...?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
nvm I tried again and it turned out ok

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Under 15 posted:

http://gostyle.j2m.cz/WAPP_RES/158fa4d4-1201-4cff-8c2e-a6cab38d2c8b/

I think it just overstates by about two stones consistently, I would not be 3d anywhere outside Japan...

EDIT:

It does cover my style of play pretty well, though. I am the Most Boring to play against

Is it just me, or do people just become really fighty and aggressive at the 1-2k level for some reason

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Massive problem archive

http://www.hitachi.co.jp/Sp/tsumego/past/index-e.html

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

AdorableStar posted:

Is it just me, or do people just become really fighty and aggressive at the 1-2k level for some reason

They do. It gets exponentially worse as you gain ranks

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

Under 15 posted:

Story time! A long long time ago i was 5k and stuck there. Then my opponent made an overplay and instead of just backing off like I always used to I thought "gently caress you you rear end in a top hat you really think you can get away with that? How about I murder your face?" Few weeks later I was 2k.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Sounds like me. One day I'll fight.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

IMlemon posted:

Story time! A long long time ago i was 5k and stuck there. Then my opponent made an overplay and instead of just backing off like I always used to I thought "gently caress you you rear end in a top hat you really think you can get away with that? How about I murder your face?" Few weeks later I was 2k.

Yeah. If you go through pro games a lot of them are like "you made a three space extension, you ASSFUCKER" and the whole game turns into a mess

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Under 15 posted:

Yeah. If you go through pro games a lot of them are like "you made a three space extension, you ASSFUCKER" and the whole game turns into a mess

Maybe pro games are all compilations of "I bet I can get away with this poo poo come after me"

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012

Under 15 posted:

I love this, because I love fighting, but I hate having to go out and pick a fight (against someone my strength or stronger). Playing against someone like myself is the worst thing, because we end up both dancing around the center and the game goes to endgame in like 100 moves

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Shadonra posted:

I love this, because I love fighting, but I hate having to go out and pick a fight (against someone my strength or stronger). Playing against someone like myself is the worst thing, because we end up both dancing around the center and the game goes to endgame in like 100 moves

Are you still available to play 5H against?

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
I'll be on KGS today probably around 7

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Shadondra is scary.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

AdorableStar posted:

Shadondra is scary.

Really? I found him super-easy to beat thanks entirely to timeout

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

One time at 6H was a fluke.

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
What do people here think about blitz? The topic comes up now and then on lots of go discussion boards and people get pretty polarized over it. I want to collect my thoughts a bit here before I go off and yell at people about it again.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I don't like blitz. I think there's a difference between playing fast games where you at least think somewhat of your moves and then lots of 10 second "No time to think just get into fights and whoever fucks up from not being able to read first wins" is useless.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I like blitz as a fun, non-serious style of play. It can often be a good test of intuition. That being said, IMO it is not a useful tool to improve the overall level of your game, and may even introduce bad habits if you play too much of it.

I would never play a ranked blitz game on my main account, but that's just me. Having an alt account solely for blitz can be fun.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Blitz to me seems like golf where all golfers are required to jog to their ball and immediately hit it, every time, and they can only use a 5 wood for everything.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Pander posted:

Blitz to me seems like golf where all golfers are required to jog to their ball and immediately hit it, every time, and they can only use a 5 wood for everything.

That would make me watch golf, imo.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Shadonra posted:

What do people here think about blitz? The topic comes up now and then on lots of go discussion boards and people get pretty polarized over it. I want to collect my thoughts a bit here before I go off and yell at people about it again.

It's just a bit of fun; I don't know what the long-term effects are on play but I imagine they're not positive

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i played a game at the singapore wei chi association. fun times. i lost but made a friend to play on kgs.

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
My opinion on blitz is: I only played blitz until I hit 2d, which took around 1.5 years. Confirmation bias ahoy, but I think I've noticed that people who play blitz improve faster than people who play slow games.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Shadonra posted:

My opinion on blitz is: I only played blitz until I hit 2d, which took around 1.5 years. Confirmation bias ahoy, but I think I've noticed that people who play blitz improve faster than people who play slow games.

I think fast games > blitz. What are you calling blitz anyways? 1 minute MT + 10 seconds per move?

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
Yeah, 5x10 byo-yomi. It's not too different from 5x20, but 10m + 5x30 is slow to me for casual games.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Shadonra posted:

any opinions on what that is?

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
People have lots of ideas about both sides of this. My opinion is that most thinking done by <1d players is wrong and leads to bad habits, so you may as well cut it out altogether and learn how to think about the game after you have experience. Another idea I've read is that if you play blitz, you'll end up playing 3x as many games as someone who plays slow, and quantity of games trumps quality at kyu level. On the other hand, there's probably a correlation between playing blitz and being young, which would produce this effect because young players tend to improve faster.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I think at least with fast games as opposed to blitz there's more time to at least reflect on what you thought during the game during the review. Also possibly time to practice reading. (Unless you're going to say you should just stick to 100% tsumego for that).

I like fast at 10m + 3x30 and my preferred time setting between fast and really slow is 15-20m + 4x40.

Then again, I don't play many games in the first place! :pwn:

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

So I've decided to learn Go. I read through the tutorial linked in OP. I'd love to play with you cats. My name on the server is Shoggoth.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Which server?

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Pander posted:

Which server?

KGS

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

Shadonra posted:

At 10s/move I can't read anything, i'm just slapping stones down solely on intuition. This is a great way to ingrain terrible habits if you ask me, unless you do extensive reviews afterwards.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Here's a Go Philosophical Question:

Forget about any rules about superko, triple ko, voiding the game, and repeat positions. Assume white losing the double ko seki in the top right means losing the game. Also assume we're playing under Chinese-type rules where playing in your territory costs no points and all disputes about group status is resolved by playing it out Look at the position below:

Is black in the top left corner dead? At first glance, yes - he doesn't have two eyes. But if you were to ask white to capture black, white would not. White would not capture black in the top left because to do so he would have to win the ko with the false eye, but he can't win this ko because black has an unlimited supply of game-winning ko threats in the top right. Obviously the players would just agree to a draw or something because continuing is futile (i.e, if B lives in the top left he wins the game but if W loses the double ko seki he loses the game), but for the purposes of the board position, do you count the top left black group as alive?

I would call it a seki because white will never capture black. You might say that because he CAN capture black (as opposed to having two literal eyes), black is dead, but just because someone CAN kill me doesn't mean I'm dead.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

AdorableStar posted:

assume we're playing under Chinese-type rules where playing in your territory costs no points and all disputes about group status is resolved by playing it out
Doesn't it follow from this assumption that Black is alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xom posted:

Doesn't it follow from this assumption that Black is alive?

That's my opinion.