Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
So does Black Bolt know sign language? How does he communicate with people he doesn't want to obliterate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Keeshhound posted:

So does Black Bolt know sign language? How does he communicate with people he doesn't want to obliterate?

Tags along with a psychic (his wife, Xavier when dealing with illuminati). Once Xavier died Black Bolt didn't say much but he had some rudimentary sign for poo poo that Reed and crew could pick up on. You don't need words to say "yo galactus is over there".

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Tags along with a psychic (his wife, Xavier when dealing with illuminati) or just keeps his shot simple enough that he doesn't need to talk.

:what:

That is just so loving comics it hurts.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Keeshhound posted:

:what:

That is just so loving comics it hurts.

Dude's a king and acts like one. He doesn't talk to the plebs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He totally knows sign language, too. I don't think Medusa is psychic at all? She just understands him really well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He has a little speak and spell.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Now spell: Carp for brains.

Now spell: Maximus, brother, how could you.

Now spell: Loud sonic shockwave.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Movie Black Bolt will community using only emojis.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
"What's that, my liege? Timmy fell down the well?"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
iirc Black Bolt and Medusa have a private sign language they speak between them; she's not psychic.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I thought Black Bolt was the slightly psychic part of that couple. I vaguely remember him having like vague weak telepathy. I mean Maximus is kinda psychic so I figured it was just a family thing.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
All of these explanations have probably been true at one time or another.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm pretty sure I've seen scenes where they would talk to each other in a private space outside of the physical world.

I just assumed it was the Power of Love (tm) that allowed them to do that.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Black Bolt probably just pulls some Hector Salamanca poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGQapTlrsR4

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen scenes where they would talk to each other in a private space outside of the physical world.

I just assumed it was the Power of Love (tm) that allowed them to do that.

There's an issue of Hickman's New Avengers where Maximus built an extra dimensional space where he could talk to the other Illuminati members, because of weird comic book physics all sounds were on a neutral wave length there, or something. At first I thought it was a cheap cop out, but Hickman only used it once, and he used it to have Black Bolt con the rest of the Illuminati into doing his bidding, which totally fits with the ongoing theme of the Illuminati being terrible.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Isn't blackbolts brother insane because of his voice? If I heard blackbolt say dickbutt I might go crazy too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zombie Boat posted:

Isn't blackbolts brother insane because of his voice? If I heard blackbolt say dickbutt I might go crazy too.

I never heard that, I understood it as him being insane because he's insane.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Black Bolt fighting with Maximus as children killed their parents and drove Maximus insane, I think. I also believe Black Bolt had his power since birth, as per one of the Inhumans back ups in the old issues of Thor.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

I never heard that, I understood it as him being insane because he's insane.

Hey, they shouldn't have named him "the Mad" if they didn't want him to go mad.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

TGG posted:

I thought Black Bolt was the slightly psychic part of that couple. I vaguely remember him having like vague weak telepathy. I mean Maximus is kinda psychic so I figured it was just a family thing.

He is just self conscious about his stutter.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

David D. Davidson posted:

He is just self conscious about his stutter.

His actual power is super strong telekinesis but he has a real goofy sounding voice so he doesn't talk to hide it, then whenever he slips and says a word he blows a hole in a wall with his mind to cover his tracks.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Like so much about this series, I can't decide if it should go into "badass" or "funny".

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Please tell me he fires it and gets put in a body cast by the recoil. :allears:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Issue 25 of Exiles was set on a world where Tony Stark had killed virtually everyone, was the ruler of earth and trying to capture the Inhumans to breed a race of supermen who could conquer the galaxy.

He's with Sue Storm in that world, and talks through frowns and props:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kalli posted:

Issue 25 of Exiles was set on a world where Tony Stark had killed virtually everyone, was the ruler of earth and trying to capture the Inhumans to breed a race of supermen who could conquer the galaxy.

He's with Sue Storm in that world, and talks through frowns and props:

So he can read, but is unable to write because...? I mean, even a slate and a piece of chalk hanging around his neck is several steps up the communication chain than what's on that page.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

flosofl posted:

So he can read, but is unable to write because...? I mean, even a slate and a piece of chalk hanging around his neck is several steps up the communication chain than what's on that page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Masada

This is Black Bolt's solution to Evil Iron Man trying to genocide the Inhumans.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Masada

This is Black Bolt's solution to Evil Iron Man trying to genocide the Inhumans.

I know what Masada refers to, I was commenting on his method of communication with his wife.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

flosofl posted:

He could carry around a little blackboard and scrape his nails on it to fit with his theme of devastating sonic attacks

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AnonSpore posted:

He could carry around a little blackboard and scrape his nails on it to fit with his theme of devastating sonic attacks

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I really miss that She Hulk run. It was so drat fun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

I really miss that She Hulk run. It was so drat fun.

Til about halfway through. Then it got super lovely.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

What's this from? I love Inhumans stuff.

Black Panther #7 (2005)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

flosofl posted:

I know what Masada refers to, I was commenting on his method of communication with his wife.

Black Bolt is a proud and mighty king, he would not stoop to such lowly communication such as that.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

prefect posted:

Like so much about this series, I can't decide if it should go into "badass" or "funny".

Keeshhound posted:

Please tell me he fires it and gets put in a body cast by the recoil. :allears:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Should be the machine gun wheelchair from Dead Rising, but with more guns instead.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Keeshhound posted:

So does Black Bolt know sign language?

I think what you're really asking is, has he ever run into Hawkeye?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

qntm posted:

I think what you're really asking is, has he ever run into Hawkeye?

That would be a brilliant team up, Black Bolt needing to solve a mystery, can't involve his family for whatever reason, Hawkeye is the only Avenger available who can translate.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The mystery is actually solved by Pizza Dog and Lockjaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

That would be a brilliant team up, Black Bolt needing to solve a mystery, can't involve his family for whatever reason, Hawkeye is the only Avenger available who can translate.

During the course of the series things go horribly awry when Hawkeye does something goofy and Black Bolt laughs, annihilating a city block.