Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr N
Oct 20, 2010

hookerbot 5000 posted:

That's what I did and I passed first time.

Everyone knows the best drivers pass second time :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Mr N posted:

Everyone knows the best drivers pass second time :smuggo:

Two years driving and the only thing I've crashed into are stationary objects - I think that speaks for itself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Two years driving and the only thing I've crashed into are stationary objects - I think that speaks for itself.

I mean superficially one might think that the stationary objects should be easier to avoid, and the nonstationary objects are actively trying to avoid you, despite your best efforts to hit them as well.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Nearly 20 years driving and the only thing I've crashed into is a lorry!

Well technically it crashed into me after I jackknifed a trailer on the motorway, so I got to watch it coming all the way. The 5 seconds it took to plow into me was the longest 10 years of my life let me tell you...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jippa posted:

Glasgow?

You don't need to kill yourself in Glasgow, you just wait until you get to 45 and die of natural causes, much less effort

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tooterfish posted:

Well technically it crashed into me after I jackknifed a trailer on the motorway, so I got to watch it coming all the way. The 5 seconds it took to plow into me was the longest 10 years of my life let me tell you...

Try the time between us realising your username and getting past your post.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Try the time between us realising your username and getting past your post.
What's your problem with me fella?

Is there something we can do to straighten it out, because pot shots like this are a bit tedious for everyone.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh I don't have a problem, I've just been throwing 'much like your posting' ones around in the past few days and just shot for an easy grab.

I think you're a pretty rad poster actually!

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

this kind of thing wouldn't happen under Full Communism

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Noxville posted:

I never got a ballot, and kn searching my inbox for Labour I find an email in my spam from 6th of August telling me I have six days to reactivate my membership if I want to vote. I never realised my membership had been deactivated.

haha

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Is it bad that I'm not too bothered about how Corbyn will do in an election, and just want there to be a voice in parliament/ the media that isn't pro austerity and anti immigrant? It pisses me off that people say that Labour will be no better than a protest movement if Corbyn wins, because being 'Her Majesty's Opposition' is more than just being the 'losers' in the GE, it's about being the first line of defence against the government doing whatever the hell they like.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I don't see why not. You don't have to have any lessons with a driving instructor or certain amount of hours - once you can drive you can go for the test. Obviously driving instructors are a good way to go but they are not a necessity.

A lot of people learn to drive in the driving instructors car with the instructor and a family car with a parent/spouse/whatever so it's not that hard getting used to two different vehicles (assuming one isn't automatic or anything) and being told two different things. That's what I did and I passed first time.

The whole point of driving instructors is not to teach you to drive, anyone can teach you that. Its to teach you to pass the test. The things you need to do like making sure your mirrors are just out that you have to visibly move your head to look in them etc.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

spiderbot posted:

Is it bad that I'm not too bothered about how Corbyn will do in an election, and just want there to be a voice in parliament/ the media that isn't pro austerity and anti immigrant? It pisses me off that people say that Labour will be no better than a protest movement if Corbyn wins, because being 'Her Majesty's Opposition' is more than just being the 'losers' in the GE, it's about being the first line of defence against the government doing whatever the hell they like.

Plus there's probably a big difference in electability between Jeremy Corbyn today and one that's been dropping sick burns on Cameron for five years as opposition leader.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

spiderbot posted:

It's really not. Preferring a spell of Tory government with the potential for an actual alternative being elected down the line instead of a Tory govenment with Tory-lite interludes and no hope of breaking that, ever, is a totally rational decision.

It does suck for the vulnerable people the Tories kill in the interim but if New Labour was prepared to help them we wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not convinced new labour would be interested in doing anything about that sort of thing tbh. They don't appear to have any platform other than being not-quite-the-tories.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Umbra Dubium posted:

Plus there's probably a big difference in electability between Jeremy Corbyn today and one that's been dropping sick burns on Cameron for five years as opposition leader.

I doubt he really does sick burns as his MO. He's more a moderate speaker and a believer in calm, reasoned debate. I worry this might leave him open to being savaged by certain twattish elements of the media - and I don't think we live in an age of nuance anyway - my hope is that his example of cordial reasonableness and sticking to honest principles might actually be enough to get the Tories to change their plan of counterattack.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/sep/10/union-wins-travelling-time-case-in-european-court

quote:

Large numbers of workers could be entitled to more pay or a reduction in hours after the European court of justice ruled that travel to and from some jobs could be counted as part of a working day.
Can't wait till I only have to spend 3 hours in the office! :unsmigghh:

In a judgment which takes effect immediately, the Luxembourg-based court said this should be the case for staff without a fixed or regular workplace who generally travel from home to and from a variety of locations. :smith:

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks for the responses guess I'll just have to muddle through.

Kegluneq posted:

If you want to alienate both I guess. Would it be worth signing up for a specific accelerated learning course instead?

Eh, possibly. I'm stuck in just about the worst possible position. I commute to brighton from croydon. I leave the house at 615am, get the train to work for about 845am; leave at 5pm and arrive home at 7pm.

My other half looks after our babby during the week, splitting her time between her and studying for her masters in architecture. When I get home I get to deal with babby waking up, grabbing a bite or two to eat and sorting stuff out for the following day before heading to bed at 10pm. At weekends I get up early with our daughter and look after her during the day so my other half can catch up with the work she missed during the week.

So essentially: weekdays Im hosed for free time, and weekends Im also hosed on free time. I need a license pronto to avoid the ghastly commute (Google taunts me with routes claiming 45 minutes to/from work)but I cant find the time to knock it out in one or a couple of days. Wondering if its worth using some of my holidays before christmas to simply get it over and done with.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

J_RBG posted:

I doubt he really does sick burns as his MO.

I do think the salary levels and the bonus levels again have to be looked at :boom:

I would want us to have a set of objective which does include public ownership of some necessary things such as rail :boom:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I like the way MGSV awards you more heroism for fultoning animals than prisoners.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

J_RBG posted:

I doubt he really does sick burns as his MO. He's more a moderate speaker and a believer in calm, reasoned debate.
He needs Skinner in his cabinet for that.

Zero Gravitas posted:

I'm stuck in just about the worst possible position ... croydon.
My sympathies.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Zero Gravitas posted:

Eh, possibly. I'm stuck in just about the worst possible position. I commute to brighton from croydon. I leave the house at 615am, get the train to work for about 845am; leave at 5pm and arrive home at 7pm.

My worst ever commute was from Stratford (where my then-partner was at Uni) to Bromley, without going through Zone-1.
Walk to Station - 15mins
Train to North Woolwich - 10mins
Ferry over the Thames - 10-30mins depending on what it feels like.
Walk to bus stop - anther 15 mins
2 Buses to get to Bromley - about 85mins (Full of school kids for that extra fun feeling in the morning)

Each Way.
I was leaving at 6:30am for a 9am start, traveling less than 12 miles.

That saved a couple of £100 every month with was the difference between affording rent or not at the time

Guavanaut posted:

My sympathies.

I can see you've never been to the Medway Towns

Renfield fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 10, 2015

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Wasnt the croydon thing I was driving at, more the "gently caress I really need to learn to drive" and not having the time do so because Im too busy doing the stuff that I need to learn to drive for. :/

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Zero Gravitas posted:

Wasnt the croydon thing I was driving at, more the "gently caress I really need to learn to drive" and not having the time do so because Im too busy doing the stuff that I need to learn to drive for. :/

Sounds like an intensive course is for you then. You can normally get it done in like a week's holiday, plus both weekends.

Protip: Don't sign up through some umbrella agency - contact one of their instructors directly. Mine was forever bitching about the massive cut they took and said he would have knocked a tidy sum off the total had I gone direct with him.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Renfield posted:

My worst ever commute was from Stratford (where my then-partner was at Uni) to Bromley, without going through Zone-1.
Walk to Station - 15mins
Train to North Woolwich - 10mins
Ferry over the Thames - 10-30mins depending on what it feels like.
Walk to bus stop - anther 15 mins
2 Buses to get to Bromley - about 85mins (Full of school kids for that extra fun feeling in the morning)

Each Way.
I was leaving at 6:30am for a 9am start, traveling less than 12 miles.

That saved a couple of £100 every month with was the difference between affording rent or not at the time

I can see you've never been to the Medway Towns

You could have cycled that comfortably inside of an hour each way.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
no, *I* really couldn't have !

We then moved to Chatham, which was half hour on the train, and I learned how to sleep standing up.

vvv Cycling wasn't an option - had to be Smart, suit etc, it really wasn't part of the corporate culture, so would have been looked down on by management, plus the six-months I was doing it was in winter so a change of clothes would have been needed as well - with nowhere to store wet/smelly cycling gear during the day.

I'm moving somewhere flat shortly (assuming nothing fucks up), so biking is the preferred option then- I still don't have a car 10 years later.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 10, 2015

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

serious gaylord posted:

You could have cycled that comfortably inside of an hour each way.

I was literally just reading that with my brain screaming 'BICYCLE, DUMBARSE'

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Be nice if there was much in the way of professional work outside the M25 wouldn't it.

That's basically what made me emmigrate. I can see why some people might like London but I couldn't stand the place.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/11/andy-burnham-to-report-the-sun-to-ipso-after-jeremy-corbyn-sting

It has been expected that Burnham will take a senior job in the shadow cabinet if Corbyn is elected Labour party leader this weekend but was caught on tape saying of Corbyn: “Privately, it is a disaster for the Labour party. I mean, publicly, he is a nice man, a nice individual. He believes in the things he campaigns on so he’s not a fraud in any way. But I think the public will think Labour has given up on ever being a government again.”

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
lol @ reporting undercover journalism to the press regulator

Yes, if there's one thing the press regulator needs to go after it's undercover journalism, probably the only decent journalism we have left (though in this case a bit boring as far as shock bombshell exclusives go)

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Commuting really does suck. Not as bad, but I'm currently in middle of 1hr40 commute that will be 25 minutes once I pass my test (and me cycling 19 miles in the morning is not a thing that's going to happen). Booked in with a new instructor next week so fingers crossed I can get things moving quickly, especially as my new lessons won't be in the driving hell that is Edinburgh

In other news, the Fail has just unironically called someone a feminazi on their front cover.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jippa posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/11/andy-burnham-to-report-the-sun-to-ipso-after-jeremy-corbyn-sting

It has been expected that Burnham will take a senior job in the shadow cabinet if Corbyn is elected Labour party leader this weekend but was caught on tape saying of Corbyn: “Privately, it is a disaster for the Labour party. I mean, publicly, he is a nice man, a nice individual. He believes in the things he campaigns on so he’s not a fraud in any way. But I think the public will think Labour has given up on ever being a government again.”

His quote is like the very epitome of the political class not understanding what the public want.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
There's some lady on the Radio 4 justifying her husband shooting a wounded insurgent in the head. Pretty funny when you heard immediately before it the discussion they had about how they weren't going to do first aid and "this doesn't go anywhere, guys" afterward.

Now there's some other retired Daily Mail colonel type trying to justify it on the basis he believed he was dead.

Basically you can tell it was the right verdict based on the people it's pissed off.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

a pipe smoking dog posted:

His quote is like the very epitome of the political class not understanding what the public want.

For me, the real story is these meetings with random foreign donors. I have a feeling this really needs to be tightened up (and subject to more scrutiny).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Acaila posted:

Commuting really does suck. Not as bad, but I'm currently in middle of 1hr40 commute that will be 25 minutes once I pass my test (and me cycling 19 miles in the morning is not a thing that's going to happen). Booked in with a new instructor next week so fingers crossed I can get things moving quickly, especially as my new lessons won't be in the driving hell that is Edinburgh

When I was 21 my first job (I managed to live on just my student loan in Uni) was at the Trafford Centre. I lived in a small village and we didn't have a car. The commute took me 3 hours each way.

It was nightmarish.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Acaila posted:

In other news, the Fail has just unironically called someone a feminazi on their front cover.
Is that a compliment coming from them?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmwqEg-06Ww

Corbyn should just run an exact copy of this as his election ad but instead of the sun it's the daily mail saying "Vote Corbyn and we will all die horrribly" and he throws it straight in the bin.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Acaila posted:

What the hell I thought you were being figurative, they actually used that word

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I wonder if Shitso will actually do anything about thPFFFT hahahaha no they will not. Bring back Raoul Moat's method of ensuring accuracy in journalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Acaila posted:

I just read the Daily Mail website on this out of curiosity so you all didn't have to

A brief summary: A 27-year old barrister named Charlotte Proudman has complained about a colleague at work complimenting her looks on linkedin. However this shocking feminazi has the gall to have complimented her friends on their looks on Facebook, almost as if workplace colleagues and personal friends should treat each other differently or something. Madness. The word 'feminazi' appears in quotes in the article as they are of course merely reporting on what other people have called her, obviously these quotes disappeared from the front page entirely by accident.

The Daily Mail, folks

quote:

The barrister who accused a male solicitor of sexism after he described her photograph on a business website as ‘stunning’ has previously told men online they were ‘hot stuff’.

Charlotte Proudman, 27, claimed Alexander Carter-Silk had ‘objectified her’ with the message he sent on the networking site LinkedIn.

She then posted his comments – and her outraged response – on Twitter, telling the married 57-year-old that focusing on women’s looks ‘silences women’s professional attributes as their physical appearance becomes the subject’.

The row was triggered on Monday when Mr Carter-Silk responded to an approach from her to ‘connect’ on LinkedIn.

He wrote: ‘I appreciate that this is probably horrendously politically incorrect but that is a stunning picture!!! You definitely win the prize for the best LinkedIn picture I have ever seen.’

She responded: ‘Alex, I find your message offensive. I am on Linked-in [sic] for business purposes, not to be approached about my physical appearance or to be objectified by sexist men.’

He emailed her an apology on Wednesday, but Miss Proudman said there was ‘no acknowledgement that the message he sent was inappropriate or is sexist’.

Within hours, thousands of people were replying to her tweets, praising and ridiculing her for shaming Mr Carter-Silk.

However, it emerged yesterday that the award-winning human rights barrister has commented on pictures of men on Facebook herself to praise their looks.

She also told female friends they looked ‘sexy’ and ‘stunning’ – the same word used by Mr Carter-Silk.

On the profile of a postgraduate student at Cambridge, where Miss Proudman is on sabbatical from her chambers to study for a PhD, she wrote: ‘Hot stuff!’, while under an image of a long-haired male friend, she wrote: ‘oooo lalala!’

Beneath photos from women, she was also happy to compliment their looks, saying to different friends: ‘Oh ladies, wowwweeeeee!!!!!!’, ‘wow! stunning!!!!’ and ‘Sexy lady!’

Miss Proudman said Mr Carter-Silk’s comments were particularly unacceptable because he made them in a workplace environment in his capacity as a senior solicitor.

She told the Mail: ‘I have received messages from LinkedIn before but never one from a senior partner at a solicitors’ firm, which is why I called it out. As a solicitor he has a duty to uphold the law, which includes sexual discrimination.’

Yesterday, she hit back after receiving a torrent of abuse online for her comments and being labelled a cause celebre for armies of ‘Feminazis’.

Miss Proudman told the London Evening Standard: ‘Of course I am not a man-hating Feminazi. That is an incredibly insulting thing to say and just another mechanism to silence women.’

She said the public interest in exposing sexism outweighed Mr Carter-Silk’s right to privacy, and repeated her demand for a public apology, and pointed out that her boyfriend, a 30-year-old Cambridge PhD student, received job offers to work at hedge funds via LinkedIn while she got ‘propositions from men’.

She added: ‘There is a continuum between receiving a sexist message on LinkedIn and being discriminated against in the workplace.

‘It has a huge, profound effect on women’s career opportunities, making them feel uncomfortable working in male-dominated places, for example in the law. That is why I try to nip it in the bud before it escalates.’

However, in a blog on the left-wing website Left Foot Forward, Ms Proudman wrote: 'The crux of the matter is that men live and work in a brutal society, which is maintained through stratified social order based on ritual humiliation, gentleman's clubs, fights, rites of passage, sexism, and banter.

'When women enter the male realm whether law, politics, or a construction site, they find themselves in a repugnant world in which their only means of survival is by undergoing a fundamental transformation leaving them with little opportunity to make any change.'

She has been warned she has ‘ruined her career’ by criticising Mr Carter-Silk and speaking out about sexism. Franklin Sinclair, a partner in one of the country’s largest criminal law firms, warned she could be blacklisted.

Miss Proudman, from Leek in Staffordshire, specialises in the law surrounding female genital mutilation. She said LinkedIn was seen by some members as being like the dating app Tinder, adding: ‘Professionals are using LinkedIn as if it were Tinder. There are websites designed for professionals to date. There is no need to use LinkedIn.’

She did not respond last night to requests to comment on the remarks she had made about friends on Facebook.

• Locked thread