Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
And with the four worst combined words in the english lanugage, no less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

$785pm already, drat.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Over 800 now. At this rate, we might have a steady enough update schedule to justify a K6BD thread by month's end.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
And over 1000 now! Twice a week is a huge step up, but it's only $440 to full time KSBD.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Over 800 now. At this rate, we might have a steady enough update schedule to justify a K6BD thread by month's end.

Never.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A webcomic getting its own thread is a curse.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Write six billion fanfics

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Renaissance Robot posted:

Write six billion fanfics

Reach hell through fanfiction.net

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The other demon comic is pretty :ohdear:. "Mommy, daddy stop fighting!" :(

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

SynthOrange posted:

A webcomic getting its own thread is a curse.

Gunnerkrigg hasn't suffered.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Gunnerkrigg hasn't suffered.

Read the last dozen pages and reassess that judgement.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

SynthOrange posted:

Read the last dozen pages and reassess that judgement.

Of the comic itself or the comics thread? Because I have no complaints about the former but gave up on the latter months ago and have no desire to re-visit it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
In Sam and Fuzzy chat, so holy poo poo Sin was actually one of those gerbils all along?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
If you meet the webcomics thread on the road, kill him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DekeThornton posted:

Of the comic itself or the comics thread? Because I have no complaints about the former but gave up on the latter months ago and have no desire to re-visit it.

The Gunnerkrigg thread went to absolute poo poo when Tony came back. There was basically endless petty arguing between the people who were on Tony's side and the people who weren't.

It was pretty decent before that.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

MikeJF posted:

The Gunnerkrigg thread went to absolute poo poo when Tony came back. There was basically endless petty arguing between the people who were on Tony's side and the people who weren't.

It was pretty decent before that.

The current chapter is a coyote story chapter. The moment the splash page went up for it we went from hundreds of pages of "Anthony Carver did nothing wrong :colbert:" to what will surely shape up to be hundreds of pages of "Literally everything and everyone is Coyote in disguise :colbert:". That thread has become completely filled with stupid, and it's sad to see it do so, because there used to be a lot of good discussion in there.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

neogeo0823 posted:

The current chapter is a coyote story chapter. The moment the splash page went up for it we went from hundreds of pages of "Anthony Carver did nothing wrong :colbert:" to what will surely shape up to be hundreds of pages of "Literally everything and everyone is Coyote in disguise :colbert:". That thread has become completely filled with stupid, and it's sad to see it do so, because there used to be a lot of good discussion in there.

It has taken a sinister turn! Haha, get it? Sinister? Because he has no right hand? It's a witty pun.

The Gunnerkrigg thread was always about taking a joke and going all :regd08: over it for months. Hey, that guy is Eglamore! Who? It's terrible, like Boxbot.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Cat Mattress posted:

The Gunnerkrigg thread was always about taking a joke and going all :regd08: over it for months. Hey, that guy is Eglamore! Who? It's terrible, like Boxbot.

That was pretty much why I stopped reading it. It didn't become really terrible or creepy, just repetitive and dull.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Demon is just so dumb but I feel
like it would make an absolutely bonkers movie.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Quantum Leap: Cum Knife edition

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Captain Bravo posted:

In Sam and Fuzzy chat, so holy poo poo Sin was actually one of those gerbils all along?

I'm not terribly surprised by his identity. But holy poo poo talk about abrupt reversal of fortune there.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
We've known for a while that Sin is a space gopher http://www.samandfuzzy.com/1030

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
fart

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

It's like... watching a blaxploitation flick and all of a sudden there's this well choreographed kung fu scene out of nowhere and also for some reason there's a screaming topless woman in the background.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I feel like the death-switching mechanic could have some mileage in the form of a videogame.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

Emphasis on was, god drat.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

qntm posted:

I feel like the death-switching mechanic could have some mileage in the form of a videogame.

Hell, the basic concept sounds like every game Ubisoft's made for years.

"You are Jimmy Yee, sworn to get revenge for the brutal deaths of your beloved wife and daughter. When all hope seems lost, you discover an incredible and destructive power..."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

qntm posted:

They actually had a mechanic like that in the otherwise forgettable console version of Battlefield 2 in the single player campaign, where if you died you'd instantly jump to the nearest friendly soldier. It was actually pretty neat, though not neat enough to make campaign worth playing instead of just doing multiplayer.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So speaking of Demon-related comics, what's up right now with Ava's Demon? It went on random hiatus awhile back, did one update a month or so ago, and is still in the void right when we got to the really good part.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Zeeman posted:

We've known for a while that Sin is a space gopher http://www.samandfuzzy.com/1030

I must have just completely misread that scene, because back when it was first in the comic I thought it was showing that Sin wasn't just one of the rodent mafia, he was actually something different and took umbrage at being called one. Whatever he was, he's a dead fucker now! Anyone wanna take odds on Brain hijacking his "Sin" persona to infiltrate the council?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Get people behind Crank movies in on this.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Archenteron posted:

So speaking of Demon-related comics, what's up right now with Ava's Demon? It went on random hiatus awhile back, did one update a month or so ago, and is still in the void right when we got to the really good part.

It's because I'm reading it. This is what happens to almost all of the comics I read. Broodhollow, Ava's Demon, Derelict, Power Nap, Brainchild, The Last Cowboy, etc. etc.. The only ones that seem to escape this are Gunnerkrigg and sadly, Demon. :smithicide:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
It turns out that it's really helpful to maintain a couple weeks of lead time.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Archenteron posted:

Artist did some rewrites and redraws to the first part for some reason. The redrawn scenes don't look as good as they used to look.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Archenteron posted:

Ava's is on hiatus while Czajkowski deals with the Kickstarter from the start of the year. I don't know why it's taken up so much of her time (I don't think she had to take this long a break for the last one?) but that's what the word is. Should be over soonish?

SunAndSpring posted:

Artist did some rewrites and redraws to the first part for some reason. The redrawn scenes don't look as good as they used to look.

There was some thing where someone was interested in publishing the comic and wanted her to clean up some of the less family-friendly bits in the first act. Then that fell through?

Agreed on it not looking as good though.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Didn't she also come down with a nasty case of depression? I remember that being cited as the cause of at least one of the hiatus'.

Kickstarters have got to be one of the worst things to happen to webcomics in awhile. I cannot think of a single one that hasn't run hilariously behind schedule or resulted in the creator having an insane meltdown (RIP pfsc :(). Most of these guys just are not prepared to handle the extra workload or end up creating goals that are far too optimistic to actually achieve anything.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Didn't she also come down with a nasty case of depression? I remember that being cited as the cause of at least one of the hiatus'.

Kickstarters have got to be one of the worst things to happen to webcomics in awhile. I cannot think of a single one that hasn't run hilariously behind schedule or resulted in the creator having an insane meltdown (RIP pfsc :(). Most of these guys just are not prepared to handle the extra workload or end up creating goals that are far too optimistic to actually achieve anything.

The unsounded kickstarters both ran smoothly and with no real scheduling problems, I think the monster pulse one did as well, and there have to be more.
We just hear about the disasters more than the smooth successes. I get what you mean, but really kickstarters have been one of the BEST things to happen to webcomics, as people can publish their books with out having to do risky stuff like having preorder money sit in paypal until you get enough, or dealing with refunds if the thing never goes through and they also don't have to deal with publishing companies that may give them a raw deal in lieu of the going it on your own paypal route.
Believe me, there were a lot of disasters with webcomics books long before kickstarter.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Patreon seems like a better format?

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Kickstarters have got to be one of the worst things to happen to webcomics in awhile.
By worst do you mean best? Because seriously, it's amazing. It's easy to get in over your head, but if you don't it's an utter gift. I've run 4 now and I'd have never managed to fund those books out of pocket with the same speed.

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Kojiro posted:

By worst do you mean best? Because seriously, it's amazing. It's easy to get in over your head, but if you don't it's an utter gift. I've run 4 now and I'd have never managed to fund those books out of pocket with the same speed.

That's the thing though, it's very easy to get in over your head and a lot of these guys just don't have any business experience at all. If you know what your getting into and don't jump the gun then I can see how it would be hugely useful and obviously plenty of people have used it to great effect. It's just that a lot of these people go into it without any plan at all and that's when you end up with big controversies and poo poo.

I don't know, I guess I just find it disturbing that the current system can be so hit-or-miss. Paetron seems like a much better system when it comes to accountability and poo poo but that's more of a "steady source of income" thing rather than a "build capital for big project" thing.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 13, 2015

• Locked thread