Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

PriNGLeS posted:

Is this game serious with it's implementation of 5 man dungeons? I just tried doing Mare Sacro Monastery and it was the most awkward and painful experience I've ever had in an MMO. Maybe I'm just bad and my group was bad, but jesus gently caress that was dumb.

I'm definitely not a bad player but I still have no idea how scaling works so I'm not sure if I'm crippling a group or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

PriNGLeS posted:

Is this game serious with it's implementation of 5 man dungeons? I just tried doing Mare Sacro Monastery and it was the most awkward and painful experience I've ever had in an MMO. Maybe I'm just bad and my group was bad, but jesus gently caress that was dumb.

Its pretty rough since its your first 5 man and everyone still has no idea what the gently caress they're doing half the time. Doesn't help thats when you really want some specific talents for tanking and can wander in there without them.

Not like some other MMO where two people can carry a 5 man.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
With scaling, it's more an issue of how many talents/abilities/skills you have available, and whether you know what you're doing.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Liberatore posted:

The important rewards from those events, like multi-spec and additional active chapels, are later on purchasable from the marketplace fairly cheaply or obtainable as rewards from normal play. If that's what you're concerned about, don't be. If you care about the mounts/cosmetics though, you will likely still have to whale up.

:negative:

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
I've had an ok time pugging MSM and DF as either a tank or support. Then you just really need one other role to know what they're doing and you can carry your dps through by just surviving.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Actually, the farmtruck is kind of cool but having to buy it multiple times in increments of an hour to keep using it feels lame.

You get a permanent one after you buy 10 of those, though? It's in the goddamn tooltip.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Liberatore posted:

The important rewards from those events, like multi-spec and additional active chapels, are later on purchasable from the marketplace fairly cheaply or obtainable as rewards from normal play. If that's what you're concerned about, don't be. If you care about the mounts/cosmetics though, you will likely still have to whale up.

That's good to hear, I can easily live with an ugly mount, the regular witch hat and even a single spec but multiple active chapels per province is pretty huge.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Is there a way to adjust keybinds that aren't listed in the menu in-game? For instance, the default bind for "accepting a reward" is F. Doesn't seem to be a way to re-bind the shift-movement key dash function either.

I use ESDF instead of WASD, so this is one of those minor quality-of-life things. I can't seem to find a solution from google.

RobertDanger
Dec 4, 2003
Here comes danger!

How can I tell who is online in the pantheon. I tried searching for people to message to see if I could get in but everytime I search the names don't pop up.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

PriNGLeS posted:

The 5-mans in this game are just too hard for 5 random people to get through their first attempt without communication or coordination. People queue up for them because they don't want to miss an okki tablet, ring, or pommel reward, but the majority of people don't really want to be there and didn't do any research beforehand.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
Pug 5 mans aren't worth the time. If you get lucky with an actual group comp and not 4-5 dps, your pubs will still likely suck dragging the instance out for an hour for very little gain. Don't bother gunning for 4 epic amulets either since half the time they are garbage and the viable ones get replaced within a week. I always spot 1-2 dps in a 5man with no talents, especially if it is a class I've already almost maxed.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
The main source of difficulty in SF's 5-mans are people's failure to understand a simple fact: No matter what role you queued for, your primary job in the instance is to prevent the whole group from taking damage as much as possible. If you're a tank, you shield and dodge and kite and stun. If you're a support, you shield and make fights shorter through boosted damage. If you're DPS, you stun and debuff and get out of the goddamn telegraphs first, and then worry about doing damage as a secondary concern.

You absolutely cannot succeed in a 5-man if all three DPS are focused primarily on putting up big numbers to the detriment of their real job.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Propagandist posted:

Is there a way to adjust keybinds that aren't listed in the menu in-game? For instance, the default bind for "accepting a reward" is F. Doesn't seem to be a way to re-bind the shift-movement key dash function either.

I use ESDF instead of WASD, so this is one of those minor quality-of-life things. I can't seem to find a solution from google.

No. You really don't want to be using ESDF in this game, because your dodge will still be bound to Shift-WASD.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Washout posted:

How these events are run infuriates me, this is not an event at all, this is you clicking a button 100 times after spending a bunch for argents, why don't they just sell all this poo poo in the cash shop straight up.

russian mmo cash shops are often aimed at whales
like, spoiled brat of some oligarch spending tens-to-hundreds of thousands of daddy's roubles kind of a whale
and there are awful browser mmos which earn tons of money because a bunch of businessmen are throwing literal millions at each other

RottenK fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 6, 2015

Sash23-83
Jan 23, 2010

lost

PriNGLeS posted:

There's a lot of problems with the first two 5-mans dungeons that make them really difficult, some of them with the dungeons themselves but most with players. Both Mare Sacro Monastery and Daren Facility open up really early and a lot of players still haven't figured out what class they want or just unlocked the class they want and as a result don't have access to a lot of abilities or talents. More over, they come right smack in the middle of the 3-8k prestige range where it is really easy to pad your prestige without gaining much actual killing power, usually by rushing their order, waffling around in the first three classes and opening up the ascension atlas late, or just equipping gear that gives the most prestige without paying attention to what it does.

Problems with the dungeons themselves are that they throw some odd mechanics at people that they aren't really ready for. For the most part players are still in a blindly go forward and kill everything phase. MSM has a shield mob that requires you to pay attention or you get bubbled and die, it also has a section where you need to be sneaky or you end up dealing with strong, respawning krakens that will destroy players suffering from previous mentioned problems. Then DF has you go through two fights where for the first time a tank is pretty much required to kite and abuse LoS for the team to get past, then later on you have another sneaking section where choosing not to be sneaking/failing at sneaking pretty much guarantees a wipe.

Aside from all that what Melanion said also holds true. Avoiding damage is everyone's first priority and a lot of people, especially DPS just eat attacks all day. I had a friend playing with me when I started who wouldn't stop complaining about getting one shot even though he would just sit there and take all the I'm going to murder you now so you better move attacks on the chin. He has since ragequit.

:words:

All these problems go away as you progress through the game as players wise up and the dungeons keep the gimmicks mostly to the bosses. MSM and DF will always be a nightmare to pug due to scaling though. Nothing is more fun than getting a 3200 prestige tank fresh off the line when you are ~20k prestige.

Sash23-83 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 7, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Liberatore posted:

You get a permanent one after you buy 10 of those, though? It's in the goddamn tooltip.

I know, but having to buy it over and over for a total of over 2 million credits feels lame, like I said.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I know, but having to buy it over and over for a total of over 2 million credits feels lame, like I said.

It costs 20 million credits and you're allowed to pay on an installment plan.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
That's why I'm saying just spend any amount of money on the game and get the free mount. I mean if you can't or won't that's your thing but it's 3 bucks and the argents help you too.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
I found this vid of some sort on the russian skyforge page. I don't remember it being linked but it's a world first of...some sort of 10man content. P.O.V. from an almost 200k alchemist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O-XNgClv8Q

2 tanks
5 support
3 dps.

Seems like you're just dealing with a few different mechanics until it drops a bunch of orbs, one of which gives someone godform and then you break a shield and burn it down.

Sash23-83
Jan 23, 2010

lost
Getting really sick of people either not bringing Temporal Compensator (Best name for a resurrection item.) to a fight or not backing off and healing up after having their incompetency compensated for, resulting in them getting up, poking the boss, then falling back over dead.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I've never actually been able to get the Temporal Compensator to work in a fight.

ttocs7
Sep 14, 2010
Target the player using the relevant F key, walk to them, press and hold H.

It took a while for me to figure that out.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Is Slayer actually complicated to play or am I just feeling overwhelmed by all the buttons I don't have unlocked yet? :ohdear:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Slayer is terrible at soloing since you have virtually no AoE damage and a good chunk of your damage is Blood Harvest, the rest comes from stealth only abilities.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Slayer is also terrible at groups because of the same thing.

In the Anomaly area it has some redeeming utility - good for pulling mobs and getting back, as well as the 1 hp cloak proc. If the latter happens when everyone else is wiped (which, due to your pathetic damage, it probably will) it resets aggro and you don't lose sparks in the tree thingy.

Slayer has been heavily diminished by the dash cancel change. Blood Harvest is good but the people you hear bitching about it are complaining about not doing well 1v1'ing a class built for 1v1.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
Slayer is fine solo because you make up lost time by killing bosses very quickly, especially bosses with mechanics that the Slayer happily ignores, like some invuls and melee or ranged unfriendly phases.

It's no Archer/Kinetic/Berserker/Witchlock in soloing speed but it's close. And you do need a Blood Harvest-focused build (with amulets and weapon to match), which is getting nerfed eventually.

Don't bother with the class for groups unless you're just switching to it for bosses. But even then, classes that benefit significantly from group buffs or pair well with those that do (e.g. Witchlock and Berserker) are going to be plain better in most cases.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
The most interesting thing I've seen a slayer do is use their stealth voodoo to get past the last pull or two in the blade-tailed part of MSM allowing us to skip to the last boss because the tank wouldn't stop running into the nearly blind patrols.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

http://sf.my.com/us/news/announcements/aelions-call-skyforges-next-major-update-arriving-september-16

Well at least they got a good patch schedule going so far. The patch is finally going to unfuck the glaring issue of locking new players out of the big boys club and never to catch up. Perhaps this might get some of our players back but we are bleeding active people in a big way and our god count loving blows.

Illuminatus
Mar 25, 2008

FNORD
Trying this out the last few days up to 2600 prestige and looking to join God Awful. In as Svetlana Gorodetsky.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Drinkfist posted:

http://sf.my.com/us/news/announcements/aelions-call-skyforges-next-major-update-arriving-september-16

Well at least they got a good patch schedule going so far. The patch is finally going to unfuck the glaring issue of locking new players out of the big boys club and never to catch up. Perhaps this might get some of our players back but we are bleeding active people in a big way and our god count loving blows.

don't worry that's just the usual part where a goon guild withers and goes on life support

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I'm past 30k prestige but burnt out from doing the same poo poo over and over.

The Skinner box feels particularly naked because you can solo all the three-mans, allowing you to complete most play sessions without interacting with a single other person.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Joust posted:

I found this vid of some sort on the russian skyforge page. I don't remember it being linked but it's a world first of...some sort of 10man content. P.O.V. from an almost 200k alchemist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O-XNgClv8Q

2 tanks
5 support
3 dps.

Seems like you're just dealing with a few different mechanics until it drops a bunch of orbs, one of which gives someone godform and then you break a shield and burn it down.

I skipped through this video a few times and every time I landed the dude was in the same spot casting the same thing :thumbsup:

Drinkfist posted:

They need to add in some stuff that isn't so glaringly "samey". Re: FUN! :D

Kessel posted:

The Skinner box feels particularly naked because you can solo all the three-mans, allowing you to complete most play sessions without interacting with a single other person.

Same, except at like 5k prestige for me. Game's got a pretty decent feel to it combat wise, but some of the underlying game mechanics coupled with mobs/locations having a very similar feel to them really puts a damper on it for me.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
All of this and it really bugs me that we don't get to see much of the world. Got into the game and decided I don't give a poo poo about the story but the city looked really cool so I want to see all that poo poo. But of course as usual all I get are people talking.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Stanley Pain posted:

I skipped through this video a few times and every time I landed the dude was in the same spot casting the same thing :thumbsup:

Yup, it's boring as hell. all that time is basically treading water for burn phases.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
All I really got out of that video was that Russians like Monstercat.

Joust posted:

Yup, it's boring as hell. all that time is basically treading water for burn phases.

That pretty much sums up the Sledgehammer Kinetic for me.

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Drinkfist posted:

The combat part of the game is fun, but grinding class mcguffins/order widgets/class unlocks is very much the exact opposite of a good time. So hopefully the catch up mechanic actually speeds that up substantially.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I kind of have acute mmo fatigue at the moment so I'm only in and out of it every so often. The catch up system sounds cool as gently caress and super necessary.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

quote:

The system allows for faster progression, through promo adventures

Am I reading it right though, and it only applies to the solo runs of things where you play as a specific class? As if so, that really sucks.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I don't mind promo adventures and generally do them whenever I can because they give double rewards. I don't really understand how the catch up mechanic will work with them though, just give really really huge rewards that don't count towards the weekly cap if you haven't been playing since week 1 until you've gotten rewards from them that make up the difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
My issue with them is that you have to solo them and I play duo 95% of the time. So it's irritating to have to pass up the nice chunk of extra stuff or do a bunch of solo runs. Same with the rewards being random per person but that change that let's you select rewards is eventually coming in theory so that's less of a big deal.

• Locked thread