Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

kode54 posted:

Is there a WP8.1 development topic? Or is this just it?

One thing I'm curious about is, as I was involved in the development of a media player that is ported to WP8.1, how one keeps a background process alive, playing audio via xaudio, without it being terminated. Currently, the only workaround we've found is to spawn a MediaPlayer instance that plays a loop of silence while we're playing.

As Drastic Actions said, you'll need a background task. Then you need to invent a protocol to control your background task effectively. Then you need to scour the internet trying to find out why the system will occasionally but not reproducibly kill your background task when the screen shuts off or your app goes out of focus. Then you will discover that it just ~one of those things~ that makes WP bad and you should have selected Silverlight as it does not experience this defect. Then you will give up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Factor Mystic posted:

As Drastic Actions said, you'll need a background task. Then you need to invent a protocol to control your background task effectively. Then you need to scour the internet trying to find out why the system will occasionally but not reproducibly kill your background task when the screen shuts off or your app goes out of focus. Then you will discover that it just ~one of those things~ that makes WP bad and you should have selected Silverlight as it does not experience this defect. Then you will give up!

I'll be fair to UWP; it's not as bad as it once was. I've only poked around with it since we'll need to use it for VLC but it's at least somewhat more predictable if/when it closes.

The actual handoff is still crap, and Microsoft's samples are still bad for handling this usecase though. So :v:.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

Anonononomous posted:

Is there any way to get Living Images to a computer and/or viewable in anything but the camera app?

IIRC, if you connect your phone to the computer, the living images are stored as .THM files. Rename them to .MP4 to play them on your computer.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Venusy posted:

IIRC, if you connect your phone to the computer, the living images are stored as .THM files. Rename them to .MP4 to play them on your computer.
Windows 10 photos app was also updated to support them while ago.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
So there's not really any info about it anywhere online except a few people going "uhhh it should work theoretically" but Quick Charge 2.0 does appear to be functioning for any Windows Phone with a Snapdragon 800, or at least it works with my Lumia Icon. Here's my charge rate with this charger http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01302K2WK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Pretty impressive considering a regular wall charger gives maybe 20-25%/hour and my Qi charger gives 30-35%/hour.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
How is the Lumia 640? Looks like Best Buy has them on sale for $70, thinking about picking one up just to test out Windows Phone.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

$70 is outrageously good value for a really good phone. At no point has it left me wanting for more power and and the battery life is a huge step up from my old iPhone 4S.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

How is the Lumia 640? Looks like Best Buy has them on sale for $70, thinking about picking one up just to test out Windows Phone.

I'm a huge fan, but I'm the weirdo that never had a smartphone before a Samsung Focus so I have Stockholm Syndrome :smith:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

I'm a huge fan, but I'm the weirdo that never had a smartphone before a Samsung Focus so I have Stockholm Syndrome :smith:

I'm with this guy, Lumia 640 is my first smartphone and it's nice but I have no experience with others to compare it to, hooray affordability

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 12, 2015

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I went from Focus, to 900, 920, 1020, now I have the 640 XL. I really like it. Despite being a budget phone it really doesn't feel "cheap". It's screen and touch accuracy leave a bit to be desired, and not having the hardware camera button and nav buttons are a bit inconvenient, but overall it's a decent phone at the regular $250. $70 is a no brainer buy.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Indecisive posted:

I'm with this guy, Lumia 640 is my first smartphone and it's nice but I have no experience with others to compare it to, hooray affordability
Picked up a Lumia 640 right after it released and don't regret it at all. And I'm the weirdo who came from 4 flagship phones starting with the Droid X and finishing with an S4. I am missing a couple of banking apps and most apps are rough but capable compared to the Android versions, but the integration / separation between business and home are leaps and bounds above Android and that is worth more than anything. Plus, I kept an old phone for those couple of necessary apps.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone here use Google Voice on their Windows phone? Is it a smooth experience?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I picked up a 640 as a holdover until my iPhone gets here but I really like it. I used the 920 for a while and loved that and I'm liking the changes to WP since then. As another said, touch accuracy leaves a bit to be desired but otherwise performance and battery life are pretty good for a sub-$100 phone.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Whelp, It's been nice hanging out in this thread for the past two years, but the windows phone experiment is over for me. I dropped my $1379 on an iphone 6S plus yesterday, and it will be arriving on the 25th. Those of you who've moved from windows to iphone, is there anything special I need to know about migrating? All my contacts and calendar stuff is synced through my microsoft account. Is anyone bothering to use outlook on their iphones vs the stock mail app?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

The Lord Bude posted:

Whelp, It's been nice hanging out in this thread for the past two years, but the windows phone experiment is over for me. I dropped my $1379 on an iphone 6S plus yesterday, and it will be arriving on the 25th. Those of you who've moved from windows to iphone, is there anything special I need to know about migrating? All my contacts and calendar stuff is synced through my microsoft account. Is anyone bothering to use outlook on their iphones vs the stock mail app?

On iOS I use Outlook & Sunrise, the stock mail and calendar apps are not great. Expect to feel bummed about how lovely the contacts experience is compared to be people hub, I haven't found a way to fix that, otherwise the rest is pretty straightforward.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 13, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

On iOS I use Outlook & Sunrise, the stock mail and calendar apps are not great. Expect to feel bummed about how lovely the contacts experience is compared to be people hub, I haven't found a way to fix that, otherwise the rest is pretty straightforward.

what is wrong with contacts? I don't use any of the social media integration in people hub, I just need a list of contacts with names, phone numbers, email addresses, and a profile pic.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

what is wrong with contacts? I don't use any of the social media integration in people hub, I just need a list of contacts with names, phone numbers, email addresses, and a profile pic.

The way the iPhone adds pictures to your concert list from social media is based on phone numbers. Only nine contacts of mine provide a number to Facebook so i have to either manually add pictures for the remaining 150 or convince them to put their number on Facebook. There's no way to link the contacts to a Facebook friend manually either. Other than that, if you don't use social media from the people hub you probably won't notice much. I Also use outlook over the stock mail app. Outlook works way better on the iPhone than it does on windows 10.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

wookieepelt posted:

The way the iPhone adds pictures to your concert list from social media is based on phone numbers. Only nine contacts of mine provide a number to Facebook so i have to either manually add pictures for the remaining 150 or convince them to put their number on Facebook. There's no way to link the contacts to a Facebook friend manually either. Other than that, if you don't use social media from the people hub you probably won't notice much. I Also use outlook over the stock mail app. Outlook works way better on the iPhone than it does on windows 10.

Yeah I'm not on Facebook so it shouldn't be an issue. I've noticed from reviews that outlook on iOS seems to be more polished.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I dropped WP for months ago and I've used Outlook ever since. It was poo poo on Android but really good on IOS, and constantly improving. Onedrive and OneNote are great for me too.

And I'm not sure what wookiepelt is talking about with linking Facebook contacts. All mine where automatically linked and you can manually add profiles by edit->add social profile in contacts. It doesn't automatically download photos for everyone from Facebook, but you can just use the sync.me app to do that. I am annoyed that the pictures can be seen in the contact list of the 6 Plus, and not the 6 however.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Cyanogen going to integrate Cortana into their fork of Android.
http://www.ibtimes.com/cortana-cyanogen-ceo-kirt-mcmaster-building-next-great-smartphone-os-2093032

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Whelp, It's been nice hanging out in this thread for the past two years, but the windows phone experiment is over for me. I dropped my $1379 on an iphone 6S plus yesterday

!!! How?! I specced all I could (pink gold) and only got to $1176 which included extended warranty, $50 case (lavendar)) and $50 dock (pink gold), also all the RAMs. Did you get some Beats headphones too?

I had no idea the price difference was so wide between iApple and WP.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mr Funkface posted:

!!! How?! I specced all I could (pink gold) and only got to $1176 which included extended warranty, $50 case (lavendar)) and $50 dock (pink gold), also all the RAMs. Did you get some Beats headphones too?

From what I remember, Bude is in Australia. Which might explain the price hike.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

From what I remember, Bude is in Australia. Which might explain the price hike.

Ah, alles klar. Also AUD conversion comes higher.

Still though I was quite shocked at the price differential when I specced the USD. Srsly $1.1k for a phone is ten times the current 640 price and it certainly isn't 10x the phone. Madness!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mr Funkface posted:

Ah, alles klar. Also AUD conversion comes higher.

Still though I was quite shocked at the price differential when I specced the USD. Srsly $1.1k for a phone is ten times the current 640 price and it certainly isn't 10x the phone. Madness!

I'd happily spend $250 on a 640 spec machine with a good camera, that's really the only thing the ~$100 phones are lacking these days (although standalone camera prices have dropped to the point where could probably pick up 640 & a small camera and be happy).

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

kode54 posted:

One thing I'm curious about is, as I was involved in the development of a media player that is ported to WP8.1, how one keeps a background process alive, playing audio via xaudio, without it being terminated. Currently, the only workaround we've found is to spawn a MediaPlayer instance that plays a loop of silence while we're playing.

Long-running background audio via XAudio is officially "not a supported scenario". Nor via AudioGraph (the WinRT projection). The only supported way to do background audio for UWP apps is as shown in the official sample: https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples/tree/master/Samples/BackgroundAudio

(I never like the phrase "not supported". I never know if it means "we flat out prevent it" or "you'll have to cobble the stuff together but it will work then" or "you can cobble stuff together but there will still be some unavoidable problems that we know about but don't plan to fix anytime soon". In this case I assume it's the latter).

(PS. I'm just repeating what the background-audio team told me. I've not actually looked at that GitHub sample myself.)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
May be old news but it looks like Microsoft is set to announce their new phones on October 6th.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

May be old news but it looks like Microsoft is set to announce their new phones on October 6th.

Oh an new Band?! Interested...

Otherwise the flagship-lite WPhones are still underwhelming.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Drastic Actions posted:

The .NET thread is a catch all right now for Windows Development, so probably in there would be best.

What I can tell you though is you need to set up and register a background task for playing all audio in the background. You can't use a media element like in Windows 8.

Also note that for UWP Windows 10 apps, they also use the background task model for music playback.

We did register a background task. The handset kills it when the screen is locked.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mr Funkface posted:

Otherwise the flagship-lite WPhones are still underwhelming.
I don't see how they're flagship-lite? WP has always performed well on hardware that Android can't even squeeze into. With Continuum maybe it will actually matter but maybe I'm just coming at this as someone who doesn't play games on their phone.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mr Funkface posted:

Yes, I'm in Australia. I still haven't bought a case - I'm undecided if it's necessary. So it's just the phone.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Having spent a career on Blackberry and Nokia I don't understand phone cases. You buy a device whose primary physical feature is how light and thin it is and easily double that weight and thickness for more money. Nevermind that the most fragile part of an iPhone has always been the glass but the best you can do for that is Invisible Shield if you like ruining your touch sensitivity.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Shumagorath posted:

Having spent a career on Blackberry and Nokia I don't understand phone cases. You buy a device whose primary physical feature is how light and thin it is and easily double that weight and thickness for more money. Nevermind that the most fragile part of an iPhone has always been the glass but the best you can do for that is Invisible Shield if you like ruining your touch sensitivity.

Counterpoint: Otterboxes. That typically triples the weight and thickness, though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

IPhones have historically been more fragile than other phones due to the use of glass everywhere, but I kinda think that's no longer the case particularly with this latest model. On the other hand, iPhones have crazy good re sale value, so many people use cases to prevent the sort of minor scratches that would bring down the sale value.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

I don't see how they're flagship-lite? WP has always performed well on hardware that Android can't even squeeze into. With Continuum maybe it will actually matter but maybe I'm just coming at this as someone who doesn't play games on their phone.

I'm sure the innards are great and satisfactory; the externals, the design, the leaks just look meeeh uninteresting. I don't mean metal, I love the 920 and 720 designs with lovely utilitarian tapers and curves, I mean there's just no apparent effort. Flat screens, single radius on the corners, even the renders show them the same size when there's a good 0.5in difference. And the buttons oh lordy power between the volumes +/-, but only for one! The other is different! Having said that these could be cheeky leaks with little to no resemblance to the final we shall see.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Mr Funkface posted:

I'm sure the innards are great and satisfactory; the externals, the design, the leaks just look meeeh uninteresting. I don't mean metal, I love the 920 and 720 designs with lovely utilitarian tapers and curves, I mean there's just no apparent effort. Flat screens, single radius on the corners, even the renders show them the same size when there's a good 0.5in difference. And the buttons oh lordy power between the volumes +/-, but only for one! The other is different! Having said that these could be cheeky leaks with little to no resemblance to the final we shall see.

furthermore current scuttlebutt is that both phones will come in two colors: white or black. The blue in the leaks is according to the rumors only for the prototype stage. If true colorful designs will be another thing windows phone (or rather nokia) invested heavily in , saw adopted by other manufacturers and has now walked back on.

I hope i'm wrong and they trot out with a cyan 950xl on October 6th however.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
Colourful phones are somewhat inventory management nightmare, you never know which one of colors will sell and many operators might not want to stock them. Especially since there's no guarantee that Lumias will sell at all anymore, so having just black & white is safer.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

You really need something with the current iPhone generation, the curved sides, smooth finish and flush glass make it feel like you're holding a very expensive bar of soap. I've never felt like I needed anything with any of the Nokias (although I did break th screens on a few focuses back in the day).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Going from a Samsung Focus to a Lumia 900 really drove it home for me how much build quality makes a difference. Nokia phones are goddamn tanks, Samsung phones are cheap lightweight plastic held together with wishes, dreams, and unicorn farts, and so far Microsoft phones appear to be somewhere between those two extremes.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

You really need something with the current iPhone generation, the curved sides, smooth finish and flush glass make it feel like you're holding a very expensive bar of soap. I've never felt like I needed anything with any of the Nokias (although I did break th screens on a few focuses back in the day).

I've read the new aluminium they're using on the 6S is 'grittier and grippier'. We'll see. I do like the idea of one of those saddle brown leather cases - I can have my cake and eat it too vs the MotoX/ LG G4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

The Lord Bude posted:

Same. Droppin my 920 for a 6s