Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Bring me my lighties!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

So I heard this game was poo poo, but the pictures and gifs in this thread indicates that it owns. What is the truth?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Olewithmilk posted:

So I heard this game was poo poo,

say whaaaaaaaaaaat

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Olewithmilk posted:

So I heard this game was poo poo, but the pictures and gifs in this thread indicates that it owns. What is the truth?

You have been lied to my friend. The game has a few flaws that hopefully will be ironed out in future releases but is an overall enjoyable experience as long and you enjoy driving and occasional fisticuffs.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Olewithmilk posted:

It's an open-world game with mechanics akin to Shadow of Mordor and Ubisoft games, wherein there's a big world, then there's enemy camps and towers and you can pick away at those, but they don't really interact with the broader open world as much as could possibly be good. In terms of game mechanics, then, it doesn't offer much new, and what it does do is fairly bog-standard stuff.

What the game absolutely nails is the atmosphere, though. The meh mechanics are made up for with a really well-done feeling of being in post-apocalyptic Australia, and has a great screenshot mode to share pictures of it. It also helps that the game can run on a wide variety of machines.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Olewithmilk posted:

This is a Good Game. It's not perfect, but it's fun.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Great, thank you! Will try it ASAP, think the Giant Bomb people are responsible for my mistaken feelings.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Why do people keep spouting this exact phrase as though it means people shouldn't analyze something or voice their displeasure with how something is portrayed? It's a game, so the gently caress what? Christ. One of Fury Road's high points was its presence and portrayal of women, FORGIVE PEOPLE for hoping the same thing out of the new game from the same franchise. Jesus tits.

High points? The movie should've been called mad maude for all the screentime that shaved scrotum calling himself max got.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Ilustforponydeath posted:

High points? The movie should've been called mad maude for all the screentime that shaved scrotum calling himself max got.

So you would rather max was the sex slave..?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Max is almost in every loving scene you dumb rear end in a top hat.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Olewithmilk posted:

Great, thank you! Will try it ASAP, think the Giant Bomb people are responsible for my mistaken feelings.

The Mad Max review on gametrailers is one of the most fair reviews I've seen so far: http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/lkjz0f/mad-max-review

If your not burned out on dicking around in open world games then this one is amazing. Ofaloaf is right, the developers put so much care and thought into the game/locations/people that makes it better then the sum of its parts. I just love going around and just look explore all the different scrap sites (especially with any historical junk) because each and every one has a different story to tell.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anybody know why the game is locked to 24Hz for me? I'm playing on a TV that normally does 60Hz at 1080p. I've tried changing it both in-game and in the .ini, but it just reverts.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Rabhadh posted:

So you would rather max was the sex slave..?

I forget where I found it, but I read a really interesting article about that. Supposedly Max's capture and imprisonment is meant to be evocative and terrifying, and place him on relatively equal footing with the Wives - he's hunted like an animal for the enjoyment of his captors, violently beaten into submission, stripped down and paraded back to the Citadel on a leash, held down and shaved, tattooed and branded as property. Where Immortan Joe only wants women for their wombs and milk, he only wants men (who don't fight for him) for their blood and labour. Max is basically reduced to an object and caged to be used up until he dies.

It's not the same thing at all, but it definitely draws a parallel and establishes both Max and the Five Wives as escapees from a brutal society of warlike men who treat people as things to be used and discarded. By contrast, being given the file by Furiosa and allowed to break his mask off by his own drat self is the turning point that starts to change Max back from a half-insensate desperate terrified drifter to a relatively coherent person that uses his words. That whole sequence of events is stunningly well-done and an amazing example of "show, don't tell" considering that it's in an action movie full of speed, explosions, and flaming sandstorms.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 11, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

BexGu posted:

If your not burned out on dicking around in open world games then this one is amazing. Ofaloaf is right, the developers put so much care and thought into the game/locations/people that makes it better then the sum of its parts. I just love going around and just look explore all the different scrap sites (especially with any historical junk) because each and every one has a different story to tell.

Coming across a feral lair is the freakiest poo poo. I found a few hiding out under an overturned rusted ship. I approached the ship on foot seeing no signs of life, then all of a sudden three crazies come scrambling out on all fours and trying to leap on me.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

SplitSoul posted:

Anybody know why the game is locked to 24Hz for me? I'm playing on a TV that normally does 60Hz at 1080p. I've tried changing it both in-game and in the .ini, but it just reverts.

Looks like a problem with your video card. Sometimes changing the resolution works. Sometimes have other refresh rates available like 59hz that can also help to go around such issues.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.
So I had a lot of fun playing this game, although I suck at grabbing screenshots. Here are two that I managed to grab of me ruining a war crier's day.

Boom.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

It keeps locking itself to 50Hz for me. Though, I wonder if changing the ini file and then setting it to read only would do the trick?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

So I had a lot of fun playing this game, although I suck at grabbing screenshots. Here are two that I managed to grab of me ruining a war crier's day.

Boom.

There's a rule: you don't kill the War Crier. Not sure if you're aware. :colbert:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Nah, the resolution fuckery is just the game being dumb. I have exactly what the guy above posted, a Panasonic Veria 50 inch which I love gaming on (plasma means no ghosting and great colour contrast). It does 1080p up to actually 100hz but the NIVIDA driver says it goes up to 60. I've played a pile of games at 60 and it's great, but Max does the locked at 25hz thing and it shits me.

I hosed around for a while and changing refresh does nothing at all in the menus, it stays at shitfuck 25.

I have a ASUS STRIX 980GTX. My video card is the equivalent of Max's double supercharger. It's not my video card.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Olewithmilk posted:

I'm watching a Giant Bomb quick look of an unrelated game, and one of them (presumably Jeff) said that he didn't like The Saboteur and gave up on it after a few hours. I think they just generally don't like open world blow-stuff-up/collectathon games. Which is fine, it's not everybody's thing, but you have to take stuff like that into account when hearing any review site's opinions.

I'll cut Giant Bomb some slack though since they don't really bill themselves as "journalists" inasmuch as they're just a bunch of guys who play games and have opinions on them.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Olewithmilk posted:

Giantbomb are bad at games, also bad at accurate information. If they'd just read tutorial tips they'd be better at games but no.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

So after finishing it, the only thing that ever really pissed me off was when I was in a fight with 3/4 cars, would take one out, and then without fail the next two times I tried to snap-fire a thunderpoon Chumbucket would turn and huck it directly into the burning wreck instead of the car that was boosting to t-bone me.

As for the ending, was kind of annoyed to see Hope was indeed just there to get fridged so Max would go berserk, but I have to say I'm surprised they had the guts to do it to Glory as well and not have some bullshit "Scrotus is using her for bait" plotline. Loved that trip across the wasteland with Chumbucket desperately trying to get Max to say something to him, and the final fight was decently epic with that last kamikaze rush and then the thunderstick fight. Definitely hoping for DLC that gives us new content and not just new cars and such.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Angry Diplomat posted:

There's a rule: you don't kill the War Crier. Not sure if you're aware. :colbert:

Yeah, I love that they actually added dialgoue for the War Crier if you finish off the enemies without killing him.

"Eh, remember all those bad words i bawled at you earlier? Yeah, that was just a spur of the moment thing, nothing personal!"

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

Weirdly this one time he didn't say anything, just hung there all quiet. And I had allll these thundersticks.
:rip:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The War Criers all sound exactly like Triumph the Insult Comic Dog

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

RPS' coverage of this has been weirdly schizophrenic.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/03/mad-max/ (John Walker giving a pretty negative set of "impressions" while suffering flu and headaches)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/10/mad-max-review/ (John Walker slaughtering huge chunks of the game then finishing with "it's fun I guess 7/10 standard")

Some bits I just can't understand - he loathes the storms, Chumbucket, the way the harpoon works, etc.

Help me understand why people hate this cool and fun game so much

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Thirsty Dog posted:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/03/mad-max/ (John Walker giving a pretty negative set of "impressions" while suffering flu and headaches)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/10/mad-max-review/ (John Walker slaughtering huge chunks of the game then finishing with "it's fun I guess 7/10 standard")

Some bits I just can't understand - he loathes the storms, Chumbucket, the way the harpoon works, etc.

John Walker is a blowhard whose idea of "investigative journalism" is to start an interview by accusing the interviewee of having a mental illness off the bat.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I'm not going to throw him under a bus for his grilling of the conman.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Thirsty Dog posted:

I can sort of understand it - I don't think this is an overly enjoyable game if you're not a fan of the setting. It seems to be a car game mostly to drive you from one point where you do fisticuffs to another where you do the same without much variation. Boss fights are all pretty much the same. There are hundreds of locations with tiny amounts of scrap and are not particularly interesting. There aren't that many quests with meaningful interaction, seems like there's only extra padding (gotta upgrade your car to do something which means tasks like clearing an area) to make it longer.
There's probably other stuff - but I've had an amazing time with the game, put like 30 hours into it the first two days of getting it. I'm having some trouble explaining what made it so much fun, the answer is probably the atmosphere because some of the gameplay elements lack that something extra to make it really shine.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Thirsty Dog posted:

Don't worry, I'll do it for you.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

Thirsty Dog posted:

Yeah, that line of questioning came a few years too late.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Ledenko posted:

I can sort of understand it - I don't think this is an overly enjoyable game if you're not a fan of the setting. It seems to be a car game mostly to drive you from one point where you do fisticuffs to another where you do the same without much variation. Boss fights are all pretty much the same. There are hundreds of locations with tiny amounts of scrap and are not particularly interesting. There aren't that many quests with meaningful interaction, seems like there's only extra padding (gotta upgrade your car to do something which means tasks like clearing an area) to make it longer.
There's probably other stuff - but I've had an amazing time with the game, put like 30 hours into it the first two days of getting it. I'm having some trouble explaining what made it so much fun, the answer is probably the atmosphere because some of the gameplay elements lack that something extra to make it really shine.

Most of the small scrap locations feel like little vignettes of life in the post-apocalyptic wasteland to me. The reward isn't the scrap, it's the veracity of the world. Do boss fights become a big thing? I've done two so far in ~20 hours. They were a refreshing change from the rest of the combat.

One thing I don't think gets mentioned in these reviews is how upgrading your car goes from "make your car better" to actual decisions on how you want your car to act; speed / armour / weaponry becomes a matter of personal choice and preference rather than just blithely upgrading poo poo.

I also don't get how the same people who loved Shadows of Mordor - flower picking, confusing mess of upgrades, rear end in a top hat main protagonist and utterly humourless sidekick - are queuing up to slag this one off.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Its weird that a lot of reviewers share a hatred for the Ubisoft method of open world games yet don't take out that exact hatred for them on the actual perpetrators of their open world anathema. Because god help us they could have given us so much more poo poo to collect and make 100% a much more longer experience than it really isn't at this point, like making us find scraps of cloth to not even tailor our own jacket or find 100 actual goddamn flags for no real reason.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

The thing is all the boss fights are the same (ok, there are two exceptions that are both basically a different enemy with more health), variety would be nice.
And I like the way you can actually make your car not only look, but feel different - but it's all invalidated because you can do it on the fly. Zoom around the wasteland in your rocket, pause and slap on armor, you're ready for that convoy. Obviously no one's forcing you to cheese it, but the game could limit changes to a garage only.

Since I liked this game, would I like Shadow of Mordor? Never played it, if it's a fantasy Mad Max it might give it a shot.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Crabtree posted:

Its weird that a lot of reviewers share a hatred for the Ubisoft method of open world games yet don't take out that exact hatred for them on the actual perpetrators of their open world anathema. Because god help us they could have given us so much more poo poo to collect and make 100% a much more longer experience than it really isn't at this point, like making us find scraps of cloth to not even tailor our own jacket or find 100 actual goddamn flags for no real reason.

I'll say this much; it's pretty funny that this game and the broken-at-launch Assassin's Creed: Unity have pretty much the same score on metacritic.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
If you can get Shadow of Mordor at a reduced price, then by all means go for it. The vengeance system was pretty cool, but it lacks lasting value, the areas feel really small and the sideshow collector stuff is really annoying. "kill x amount of rats" and such.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

King Vidiot posted:

I'm watching a Giant Bomb quick look of an unrelated game, and one of them (presumably Jeff) said that he didn't like The Saboteur and gave up on it after a few hours.
How can anyone not like a game that lets you play as a belligerent Irish drunk who habitually tosses Nazis off the rooftops of Paris while yelling about putting his loving boot up their arse.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Yeah, I could definitely use more variation between the Top Dogs. Someone mentioned upthread that they seem like placeholders that became permanent because the studio ran out of time, and I have to agree.

On the other hand, what kind of monster hates Chum? He's the best weird culty magical techpriest buddy a road warrior could hope for.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
This game is like a really nice burger. Burgers are nothing new, and there a lot of different types of tasty burgers, as well as some really bland ones. This game doesn't particularly do anything outstanding or new, but what it does do, it does really well.

Chum is hilarious and easily one of my favorite characters in any game ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I thought I'd hate Chum at first but he really grew on me

• Locked thread