Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

Just got an invite to punch myself in the face repeatedly for $400. Wish I had the cash!

quote:

Over the past few days, we’ve been discussing how we can make it up to our fans for the delay. One of the best ideas we have is to open sales up for an hour sometime later this month or early next, to make the entire process a bit more painless for would-be OnePlus 2 users. 

OP CEO: To make up for our lovely launch we might maybe let you actually buy a phone in the future... maybe...for like an hour or so. That is literally one of our best ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Never settle for competent business practices.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
"Over the past few days, we’ve been discussing how we can make it up to our fans for the delay. One of the best ideas we have is to open sales up for an hour sometime later this month or early next, to make the entire process a bit more painless for would-be OnePlus 2 users."

This is a joke, right?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
We are incredibly behind on shipping so the best thing to do is to try to sell more

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FistEnergy posted:

This is a joke, right?
You know it isn't. You hope it is, you want to believe. But no.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/sticky-sorry-for-the-delay-guys.362497/

Amazingly this post opens as follows:

OnePlus posted:

We messed up the launch of the OnePlus 2.

Well, we messed up the launch of the OnePlus One as well.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Just gotta remember guys to Never Settle #WWYDFT2

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
That's okay, guys, they admitted messing up (twice.) Certainly a company I'd love to fork money over to, assuming they'd let me sometime in the next year.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Protocol7 posted:

That's okay, guys, they admitted messing up (twice.) Certainly a company I'd love to fork money over to, assuming they'd let me sometime in the next year.

The OPT is a mediocre phone though, why not wait and see about the Nexus 5 2?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Whenever I get mine sometime next week, I'll be sure to snap a pic next to my spare X 2013 for maximum size hilarity.

I can't wait to see this.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

axeil posted:

So does anyone have the Pure yet? How is it? Is the battery life good? What about antenna strength?

I'm on a Galaxy S4 that I rooted a billion years ago and haven't updated out of fear that Verizon will nuke my root but I'm thinking its finally time to upgrade so I can take advantage of my grandfathered unlimited plan.

Battery life is very good, in comparison to my N5. I know that's not saying much :v:

Antenna strength is also an improvement over the N5.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
What is their rationale for the invite system? Why would someone jump through all these bullshit hoops to buy one particular phone when they could get any one of a number of other phones of similar quality for a similar price being sold by normal people?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The OPT is a mediocre phone though, why not wait and see about the Nexus 5 2?

I wasn't serious, but I am eyeing up the Pure, though I'm waiting for a few more opinions on the device. Not a big fan of my iPhone 6.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The rear end Stooge posted:

What is their rationale for the invite system? Why would someone jump through all these bullshit hoops to buy one particular phone when they could get any one of a number of other phones of similar quality for a similar price being sold by normal people?
Seems like a dumb marketing thing. It builds a false sense of excitement and camaraderie - see also the weirdos who camp out in front of the Apple store to buy a phone they produced 300 million of.

My X Pure missed the 8pm UPS window yesterday so it's on the truck again this morning, will post some catte photos/impressions when I can.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 11, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

They've apologized for stuff before and this time they only apologized for not having inventory ready when they thought they would, not for quality control issues or poor customer support or for misjudging the features people actually want

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Syrinxx posted:

Seems like a dumb marketing thing. It builds a false sense of excitement and camaraderie - see also the retards who camp out in front of the Apple store to buy a phone they produced 300 million of.

It is a simple way to control inventory I guess. They can't afford to have warehouses full of not purchased phones. Also generates hype for practically free. But it makes it hard for customers that actually want to buy the phone to do so as bots grab up the widely distributed codes and scalpers end up reselling codes or purchased phones for a mark up

Invite codes also let the company suggest that women send then pix in exchange for an invite

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Just got a notification that my Pure was delivered! Can't wait to play around with it tonight.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

You could always just show them your tits for a phone instead.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
How does the wood feel on those Moto X's? I have a feeling I'd go for the silicone if I were ever to get one, but I also care much more about feel than look.

After feeling the G4's leather yesterday, I definitely don't want to trust that any certain material will feel good anymore.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

WhyteRyce posted:

Invite codes also let the company suggest that women send then pix in exchange for an invite

Whizbang posted:

You could always just show them your tits for a phone instead.

please tell me this isn't a real thing

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

please tell me this isn't a real thing

Don't you wish:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/12/5994877/oneplus-holding-sexist-ladies-first-contest-for-smartphone-invites

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No, it's fine, they specifically reminded women who wanted to entered to keep their clothes on. Because that's a thing you have to remind women to do, you know. And then it's fine, because that's tasteful.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Don't use your waterproof phone underwater.

http://9to5google.com/2015/09/11/sonys-xperia-z5-not-waterproof/

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those who have had the new Moto G for a few weeks now, how are you liking it?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Hughmoris posted:

For those who have had the new Moto G for a few weeks now, how are you liking it?

Loving it. Wish it had NFC with Pay coming out but the battery has never giving me anything but a full day and the camera is surprisingly good. Only issue I have is that I wish the back was flat so it wouldn't rock when you put it on the table and then trigger the camera by the rocking motion.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BottleKnight posted:

How does the wood feel on those Moto X's? I have a feeling I'd go for the silicone if I were ever to get one, but I also care much more about feel than look.

After feeling the G4's leather yesterday, I definitely don't want to trust that any certain material will feel good anymore.

Bamboo feels all right, it's got a smooth-but-matte finish, though if you run a fingernail over it you'll be able to feel the grain.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I have a moto g coming in the mail soon since my z3c took a header onto the pavement cause of my dog :dogout:

I hope that it's not too noticeable of a downgrade. TBH I wasn't the biggest fan of the z3c - it was a fine phone but it was pretty upsetting to have the backglass just spontaneously crack after I set it down on my coffee table. And the flaps for the charging port were annoying 50% of the time when I didn't have access to my dock.

Anyone have suggestions on what to do with my z3c now? I can't decide if I should send it to sony for repair and keep it, try and sell it, or just recycle it.

e: top half of the screen doesn't respond to touch and has a crack on the bottom. Backglass has a hairline crack as well

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 11, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mr Newsman posted:

I have a moto g coming in the mail soon since my z3c took a header onto the pavement cause of my dog :dogout:

I hope that it's not too noticeable of a downgrade. TBH I wasn't the biggest fan of the z3c - it was a fine phone but it was pretty upsetting to have the backglass just spontaneously crack after I set it down on my coffee table. And the flaps for the charging port were annoying 50% of the time when I didn't have access to my dock.

Anyone have suggestions on what to do with my z3c now? I can't decide if I should send it to sony for repair and keep it, try and sell it, or just recycle it.

e: top half of the screen doesn't respond to touch and has a crack on the bottom. Backglass has a hairline crack as well

Probably best to sell it as is and let someone else deal with repairing it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Does anybody else hear their speaker popping on their 2015 X Pure? It seems to happen every time an audio clip finishes playing (just a tiny popping sound when the audio clip finishes), which is really annoying for things like notification sounds. It doesn't seem to be affected by volume or anything, either. :sigh:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Wylie posted:

Glad I'm getting my new X in a few days, because after 2 years of no cellphone-related trauma I just knocked my 2013 X off my desk and spiderwebbed the glass. Everything's still usable, but if I had to use this phone for more than a week more I'd go nuts.

Definitely going to invest in the insurance plan now, though.

And yeah, the stuff Motorola puts on top of stock Android are entirely the reason I love the X. It knows I'm driving, so it reads my text messages to me and I can reply without even looking at the phone.
It's a long shot, but I've heard of people still getting the complimentary screen replacement. Give them a call, you might end up with a new/refurbished in box phone you can flip for a decent amount.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

I'm thinking of getting one of the new Motorola phones because I don't really see the value in paying $700 for a phone any more. How well does the SD card integrate with the internal memory? Are you able to move pictures/music/apps over to the card at will? I haven't used an Android since a Galaxy S3 a few years ago, and I remember it being kind of finicky back then.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mr Newsman posted:

Coming from the Z3c to the new G myself it feels like an upgrade actually. You'll be happy but it is tough getting used to the bigger size. Reaching the top left corner for some menus makes me wish Android would steal the double tap thing from Apple

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

I think I've made a dumb mistake. I just wiped my phone (Moto G 2014) after it started messing up, and when restarting, it tries to connect to google servers for the set up. Problem is, I'm vacationing in China right now and can't access anything google without VPN, so my phone is now stuck in the setup screen.

Did I gently caress up, and won't be able to use my phone until I'm back home (in a week)? Is there any way to do the initial set up without internet access? [EDIT] Solved!

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

How well does the SD card integrate with the internal memory? Are you able to move pictures/music/apps over to the card at will?
It's pretty good for media (pictures, music etc can be moved quickly), but crappy with apps for now. At least for my phone, apps that I've moved to SD will pop back to internal storage after updates, which is annoying for apps that are updated frequently (especially bigger ones like chrome, facebook etc). There's a rumor that Marshmallow will allow SD to be "merged" with internal storage, but how exactly that'll work isn't clear yet.

plasmoduck fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 11, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Just curious here, did Moto use a new/different vibration motor in the Pure? Their vibration modules, at least in the X and Nexus 6 were hilariously terrible. The entire phone sounded like it was going to fall apart with rattling while Samsung's vibration is precise and solid.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

plasmoduck posted:

I think I've made a dumb mistake. I just wiped my phone (Moto G 2014) after it started messing up, and when restarting, it tries to connect to google servers for the set up. Problem is, that I'm vacationing in China right now and can't access anything google without VPN, so my phone is now stuck in the setup screen.

Did I gently caress up, and won't be able to use my phone until I'm back home (in a week)? Is there any way to do the initial set up without internet access?

You should be able to skip the google account sign-in which is all it can do I think?

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

ruby idiot railed posted:

You should be able to skip the google account sign-in which is all it can do I think?

Oh, nevermind. I thought I couldn't get past the "accept privacy/terms" page, but must've tapped the wrong button a few times. I feel even dumber now - but at least my phone didn't become a brick! :)

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

hotsauce posted:

Just curious here, did Moto use a new/different vibration motor in the Pure? Their vibration modules, at least in the X and Nexus 6 were hilariously terrible. The entire phone sounded like it was going to fall apart with rattling while Samsung's vibration is precise and solid.

My personal Nexus 6 has the lovely vibration motor, but the two other Nexus 6s we have here for work are perfectly fine :(
I think it's a known manufacturing defect that's not bad enough for most people to RMA the device.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Hughmoris posted:

Excellent. Slightly laggy when playing Clash of Clans, otherwise perfect. Feels small in the hand too.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
If anyone is interested in seeing the size difference between the X 2013 and Pure:

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 11, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Super Dude posted:

If anyone is interested in seeing the size difference between the X 2013 and Pure:

:lol:

The vibration motor in the 2015 X Pure seems all right, though I haven't really put it through its paces yet. I'm in love with how subtle the haptic feedback vibration is, though. Just enough to let you know it registered, enough to not feel like mush, but not a big ol' zap like my N5 (when the motor in that thing wasn't jammed at least. It would randomly stop vibrating - for anything, and at some point I found out that tapping on the back of the phone brought vibration back. My girlfriend's N5 showed up with no vibration function whatsoever but she never liked the feedback anyway so it didn't get returned.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Kreeblah posted:

Does anybody else hear their speaker popping on their 2015 X Pure? It seems to happen every time an audio clip finishes playing (just a tiny popping sound when the audio clip finishes), which is really annoying for things like notification sounds. It doesn't seem to be affected by volume or anything, either. :sigh:

Based on this thread from the MotoX subreddit, there is at least one other person with this problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/3kkp8r/speaker_popping_in_the_2015_pure/