Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuramor posted:

So, is this game worth getting at the current discount?

I'd say yes. I got it at 33% off, and I still thought it was a really solid value. Usually I'm juggling two or three games, but for a while I just couldn't NOT play Xenoverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
If you don't have the game nor its DLC this is a good sale for you curious to GOKU. Otherwise its kind of a wash to anyone who wants the extra content sold at a discount.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm on the fence with buying this game. I want to, because making my own Saiyan sounds like it could be fun. However, the gameplay looks a LOT like Budokai Tenkaichi and I have never liked the Tenkaichi series. Played it on a few occasions and didn't have fun any of the times. Is it worth the money?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I appreciated the fact that it pays homage to the entire run of the Dragonball Z series while still ultimately telling an original story. The combat is simplistic, but still has enough depth to require skill, and it's fun making and building up your very own GOKU. I'd recommend it, generally speaking, but I admit that if you didn't like Budokai then the combat probably won't thrill you. I'll also admit that once I beat all the storyline content, I put it down and basically haven't touched it since. It was a lot of fun while it lasted though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SonicRulez posted:

I'm on the fence with buying this game. I want to, because making my own Saiyan sounds like it could be fun. However, the gameplay looks a LOT like Budokai Tenkaichi and I have never liked the Tenkaichi series. Played it on a few occasions and didn't have fun any of the times. Is it worth the money?

It is a LOT better than BT

It's way more dynamic and chaotic in a good way

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

SonicRulez posted:

If you didn't like the BT series, you won't like Xenoverse. The combat is a very similar hitstun-based system, which doesn't really work super well with their 3 vs 3 combat.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Anonymous Robot posted:

If you didn't like the BT series, you won't like Xenoverse. The combat is a very similar hitstun-based system, which doesn't really work super well with their 3 vs 3 combat.

That blows. Thanks for the replies, guys. I wish I liked Tenkaichi, because the years have shown me that fans FAR prefer that over everything else. I dunno though, I liked the 2D Budokai series a lot. Like a lot a lot. Tenkaichi feels like button mashing and my opponent isn't selling until I land the 10th hit or whatever which sends them flying. Then I use a beam. Rinse repeat. Doesn't ever feel tight either.

Where the hell is Burst Limit 2?

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 12, 2015

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Get this on PS4 or PC?

Heard PC has cheating online is whats stopping me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'd say PS4 if all else is equal. It's a really good port, and modding exists, but the online community doesn't seem to really be as strong there, and cheating means they haven't given it the World Tournament.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

SonicRulez posted:

That blows. Thanks for the replies, guys. I wish I liked Tenkaichi, because the years have shown me that fans FAR prefer that over everything else. I dunno though, I liked the 2D Budokai series a lot. Like a lot a lot. Tenkaichi feels like button mashing and my opponent isn't selling until I land the 10th hit or whatever which sends them flying. Then I use a beam. Rinse repeat. Doesn't ever feel tight either.

Where the hell is Burst Limit 2?

I actually hated Tenkaichi for the controls, but the Xenoverse controls feel WAY better. As for your other complaints, yeah they're pretty spot on. It's not as much a fighting game as Burst Limit and such which I also loved.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Alright, got the game and started playing. Serverconnection seems to be hit or miss, so I'm on my own in that regard. Anyway, should I grind out skills in Parallel Quests as they become available, or get up to level 80 first through normal play so I can use Elder Kai?

Nuramor fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 13, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Nuramor posted:

Alright, got the game and started playing. Serverconnection seems to be hit or miss, so I'm on my own in that regard. Anyway, should I grind out skills in Parallel Quests as they become available, or get up to level 80 first through normal play so I can use Elder Kai?

Do the story until you hit a brick wall and then grind Parallel Quests until you can break down that wall.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nuramor posted:

Play the story. Every time you beat a saga, go play parallel quests for a while. Rinse and repeat. Rushing straight through the story is a mistake, and you should definitely try to grind out a broad range of skills, since changing your skills and having the right ultimate for the job honestly makes way more difference than gaining a level or two. You're not going to reach level 80 through the story mode alone, and in any case you should be expecting to do Elder Kai last, since you need to be level 93 (I think) to get the only move he gives.

Good ultimates for use against the AI that can be gotten from PQs are Giant Storm from Nappa and Blue Hurricane from Burter.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Personally, I played story missions, and every time I finished a saga I would go and do all of the newly-unlocked parallel quests until I had successfully completed all of them at least once. Then I'd move on to the next Saga. That seemed to work very well balance-wise, and I was never underpowered. Only doing each parallel once kept things fresh, too.

Though I admit I had to grind a quest here or there for mentor requirements a couple times, and I went to great pains to get Kaioken x3 and x20 just for the coolness factor (they're not actually that great.)

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Yeah.....I grinded for kaioken because I was pretty punchy originally and Kaiokenx20 was a terrible idea for a variety of reasons. A lot of skills I fought really hard to get weren't great really..... I think most the skills I used for the whole of story mode I got just playing a PQ for the first time and getting lucky or from Cell. (I didn't realize how focused the game wanted you to be so Blue Hurricane and Perfect Kamehameha were both on my bar and both fairly effective. I later respeced to just strikes and punches and now blue hurricane is what it deserves to be.)

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Play the story. Every time you beat a saga, go play parallel quests for a while. Rinse and repeat. Rushing straight through the story is a mistake, and you should definitely try to grind out a broad range of skills, since changing your skills and having the right ultimate for the job honestly makes way more difference than gaining a level or two. You're not going to reach level 80 through the story mode alone, and in any case you should be expecting to do Elder Kai last, since you need to be level 93 (I think) to get the only move he gives.

Good ultimates for use against the AI that can be gotten from PQs are Giant Storm from Nappa and Blue Hurricane from Burter.

Huh. Giant Storm didn't feel that useful to me. But then again, I keep forgetting I have Ultimates and do everything with Supers.
It is just very frustrating to play through an entire PQ, actually manage to get the special condition to trigger at the end and then still not getting a single skill.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Drop rates need to be adjusted way the gently caress up. You can get through a PQ, get the ultimate finish, and get gently caress all for drops. Ugh.

That said, to the guy who didn't like tenkaichi combat, i'm with you. It is similar, but overall it feel like they were aware of the problems you and I had with those games, and fixed them. Things do get a little hairy when you're fighting 3 on 1, but that typically is only a problem in the Parallel Quests if you decide to do it alone. Story mode typically has allies around for you to distract the enemy with.

It's worth a purchase at the discounted price, and just get the DLC later.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nuramor posted:

Huh. Giant Storm didn't feel that useful to me. But then again, I keep forgetting I have Ultimates and do everything with Supers.
It is just very frustrating to play through an entire PQ, actually manage to get the special condition to trigger at the end and then still not getting a single skill.

Giant Storm does a lot of damage, its autotargeting means it won't miss an AI that's just flying around aimlessly, the AI is too dumb to dodge it, and it's a wide area attack which will probably hit multiple enemies, especially if they're all clustered up in your face. It's perfectly suited for story missions

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Giant Storm does a lot of damage, its autotargeting means it won't miss an AI that's just flying around aimlessly, the AI is too dumb to dodge it, and it's a wide area attack which will probably hit multiple enemies, especially if they're all clustered up in your face. It's perfectly suited for story missions

I'll have to try it out again, then.
Anyway, I'd also like to join the goon group in Steam. Could someone send me an invite, please? http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/nuramor/

Nuramor fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 13, 2015

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

I love some of the stupid things people come up with in this game.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I bought this game, I'm a freiza, going for the ginyu force look, accidentally ended up with a thong:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I bought this game, I'm a freiza, going for the ginyu force look, accidentally ended up with a thong:

Sounds like the legit Ginyu Force Experience then.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Section Z posted:

Sounds like the legit Ginyu Force Experience then.

Hell yeah!

Does anyone know how you unlock more character slots? I want to try out being a majin buu

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Hell yeah!

Does anyone know how you unlock more character slots? I want to try out being a majin buu

You gotta beat the game, the main storyline that is. Then it'll let you have more slots.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Hell yeah!

Beat story mode, apparently.

The fight in Frieza's ship were you have to defend Gohan and Krillin in Ginyu's body can go gently caress itself.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RickVoid posted:

The fight in Frieza's ship were you have to defend Gohan and Krillin in Ginyu's body can go gently caress itself.

get stronger before you do it. if you can't take out a raspberry or whatever in one or two combo chains you aren't going to be able to do it fast enough without getting lucky

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

RickVoid posted:

Yes, yes it can, as well as having to beat story mode to unlock even a second character slot, so dumb. :(

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I actually enjoyed that fight, because I discovered that Milky Cannon seemed really good.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Any level that involves "you lose if Krillin dies" can pretty much gently caress off.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

that fight was a roadblock for me too, i ended up going and just doing a bunch of parallel missions to get stuff i wanted and then went back as a strong boy.

I have no idea how i'm meant to be building my character, i just put a lot of points into ki supers because I like to shoot lasers.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

I have no idea how i'm meant to be building my character, i just put a lot of points into ki supers because I like to shoot lasers.
From what I've been told this is basically the way to do it, and if you get to level Lots and hate it, just make a wish to Shenron to reset your stats.

Me personally I've been putting a lot of points into strike supers because I like punchmans. But I am also known to follow up kicker strikes with Masenko so lasers are also neat.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I need to start playing with a controller, i find it really hard to press alt+space at short notice to do my evasive move.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
So I'm not clear on how the regenerations that various races have work. Humans, for example, regenerate Ki. Okay, that's great, but is it a percentage of their total Ki per second, or is it a fixed amount per second? I basically want to know if dumping a bunch of points into max ki is going to make it so I can use my punchman combos even more often than I do now, or if it's just gonna mean my character has an even more hilariously outsized alpha strike at the start of a level.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Coolguye posted:

So I'm not clear on how the regenerations that various races have work. Humans, for example, regenerate Ki. Okay, that's great, but is it a percentage of their total Ki per second, or is it a fixed amount per second? I basically want to know if dumping a bunch of points into max ki is going to make it so I can use my punchman combos even more often than I do now, or if it's just gonna mean my character has an even more hilariously outsized alpha strike at the start of a level.

I've heard that human ki regen is a percentage of your max ki, but I've never bothered testing it. It's fast enough either way that you don't really need to increase your ki at all as a human.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

one key tip for building your character: if you are a fat character put points in melee if you are a skinny character put them in ki. i hosed this up my first time playing and it really holds you back.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SonicRulez posted:

Tenkaichi feels like button mashing and my opponent isn't selling until I land the 10th hit or whatever which sends them flying. Then I use a beam. Rinse repeat.

To be fair this is more or less accurate to the show.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Coolguye posted:

From what I've been told this is basically the way to do it, and if you get to level Lots and hate it, just make a wish to Shenron to reset your stats.

Me personally I've been putting a lot of points into strike supers because I like punchmans. But I am also known to follow up kicker strikes with Masenko so lasers are also neat.

I went full on ki supers and just spammed the poo poo out of Perfect Kamehameha or whatever the most powerful ultimate attack I had at the time, just chunking down life. I also of course used Super Saiyan, then since I couldn't get 2 to drop, just bought it from the shop.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Got a question.

It feels like I have three options to pursue an opponent after I launch them with a series of strong melee attacks: slowly flying towards them, L-trigger boosting, and teleporting behind them (the best option, but it costs two stamina and the level boundary can (will) gently caress it up). In the Team4Star Dumplin vids, he seems to use some move that rushes towards the enemy, hits them with a stunning attack that doesn't launch them, and sets them up for another string of beatings. How the hell do I do that? The "A" button on the X-Box controller just makes me fly up if I don't have the two stamina required to teleport, and hitting the enemy after l-trigger boosting just knocks them away again.

I feel like I'm missing a critical part of the combat system by not knowing how to do this.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Its part of some attack strings. For my I think its just another triangle press while playing a buu. Kinda like how some have strings that will teleport you to a person to smack them again. The Buu one is notably one of the infinite combos in the game. And with teleporting(as part of a attack chain not the one that uses stamina) I think the trick is that if you block immediately after the teleport you both get the free teleport AND don't have to continue the attack chain letting you follow up with whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Milky Cannon is amazing, abuse it liberally.

RickVoid posted:

Got a question.

It feels like I have three options to pursue an opponent after I launch them with a series of strong melee attacks: slowly flying towards them, L-trigger boosting, and teleporting behind them (the best option, but it costs two stamina and the level boundary can (will) gently caress it up). In the Team4Star Dumplin vids, he seems to use some move that rushes towards the enemy, hits them with a stunning attack that doesn't launch them, and sets them up for another string of beatings. How the hell do I do that? The "A" button on the X-Box controller just makes me fly up if I don't have the two stamina required to teleport, and hitting the enemy after l-trigger boosting just knocks them away again.

I feel like I'm missing a critical part of the combat system by not knowing how to do this.

Some races' normal attack strings have free, automatic rushes or vanishes built into the combo. For example, after a female Saiyan launches someone with certain combos, they can press the attack button again to teleport for free and launch the opponent again, up to twice - it's just a part of the female Saiyan combo. Some races, like male Buus, have basically-infinite combos built into their strings; some, like female Saiyans, have limited warping/rushing but can't do it infinitely, and some races don't have anything like that at all.

• Locked thread