Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

serious gaylord posted:

Posting because this is literally so good my eyes are bleeding. Another from Dave Soper and most likely the slayer sword 2015 winner.

Break brushes, flush paints, etc. (tired meme from the last painting thread)

Not a color mix I'd prefer, but it really shows off the guy's skills.

e: tried out freehand for the first time to give this guy a name

https://goo.gl/photos/A3ojit5MAZhPJuSL9

(phone posting from Google photos is a bitch)

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

I was scrolling quickly down the page and thought I saw a rainbow. That is a bright and somewhat horrifying miniature.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Probably my favourite thing on that, aside from the colour pallet, is the repeated use of baking soda to do all sorts of things from rust to algae. If you're interested in how it was made, part one starts here: http://sproketsmallworld.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/project-nurgle-part-1-gutrot-spume.html

An excellent series of posts on how you make a golden demon winner. 300 hours went into that.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm pretty sure he spent longer one one single tentacle than I have on any single mini.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

krushgroove posted:

e: tried out freehand for the first time to give this guy a name

https://goo.gl/photos/A3ojit5MAZhPJuSL9.jpg

(phone posting from Google photos is a bitch)

This is the URL you want to use to link to it: https://goo.gl/photos/A3ojit5MAZhPJuSL9

Looks good! You even chose a specific font to do it in.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm pretty sure he spent longer one one single tentacle than I have on any single mini.

He paints in a really interesting way. Almost all of that mini is done with glazes and then final edge highlights. Its a level of skill I just cant fathom.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

serious gaylord posted:

Posting because this is literally so good my eyes are bleeding. Another from Dave Soper and most likely the slayer sword 2015 winner.

I'm picturing a couple nurglings singing the 'I'm on a boat' song.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

serious gaylord posted:

He paints in a really interesting way. Almost all of that mini is done with glazes and then final edge highlights. Its a level of skill I just cant fathom.

Yeah - the one that really impresses me most of his is the Dark Eldar Scourge diorama. Those wings are INSANE.
http://sproketsmallworld.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/dark-eldar-diorama-scourge-wings-step.html

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just a real shame loads of his Photobucket pictures don't show on the posts. But yeah those Scourge wings are amazing.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

serious gaylord posted:

It's basically thinking "down" rather than "up" with placement of layers. You're working from a light base and then down, applying thinned paint in select locations. I've been experimenting with it lately on some personal projects and I like how it's coming out for stuff like skin tones and worn, old metal. Clothing, not so much, but with enough practice I think I'll get the hang of it.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Cross posting from the oath thread

Finished my first model since my illness and all painted with the left hand.

Fairly pleased with it considering although the shield rim/boss looks a tad sloppy, but it was pretty hard to do and Ive always hated doing shields. Definitely inspired to do some more now.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I know I read an answer to this somewhere already, but can't for the life of my find it now:
When varnishing ( Testor's glosscote/dullcote on top of Vallejo), do I need to wait a full 24 hours between each coat?
How does 1 coat of gloss, 2 matte sound for durability?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Long time no see, painting thread.

I'm painting a Baneblade and wanted to give it a camo paint job. I'm struggling to find good reference models that aren't winter camo tanks.

If any of you lovely people could post or direct me towards well painted tanks with camo paint schemes I would be grateful.

This is the last thing I painted well over a year ago so I'm going off in a whole new direction.

camo camo camo

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Serotonin posted:

Cross posting from the oath thread

Fairly pleased with it considering although the shield rim/boss looks a tad sloppy, but it was pretty hard to do and Ive always hated doing shields. Definitely inspired to do some more now.

Yay! Looks great!

The shield just looks like it's well-used to me :)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

serious gaylord posted:

This is a really amazing mini. I don't like this style, but that doesn't take away anything from how good the technique is.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Hauki posted:

I know I read an answer to this somewhere already, but can't for the life of my find it now:
When varnishing ( Testor's glosscote/dullcote on top of Vallejo), do I need to wait a full 24 hours between each coat?
How does 1 coat of gloss, 2 matte sound for durability?

Touch dry is fine. I routinely finish my varnishing process in 30 mins to 1 hour.

I would advise more gloss coats and less matte. Gloss is more hard wearing. Use the minimum amount of matte as too much will start to turn your miniature white. Gloss doesn't do this. 2-3 coats gloss and 1 of matte is what I normally do.

BULBASAUR posted:

This is a really amazing mini. I don't like this style, but that doesn't take away anything from how good the technique is.

I have to agree. Its technically an amazing execution but the colour composition makes it look like the guy just plundered a rainbow paint factory.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 10, 2015

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Touch dry is fine. I routinely finish my varnishing process in 30 mins to 1 hour.

I would advise more gloss coats and less matte. Gloss is more hard wearing. Use the minimum amount of matte as too much will start to turn your miniature white. Gloss doesn't do this. 2-3 coats gloss and 1 of matte is what I normally do.

Cool, thanks.

Both of my cans came sans label too, just to help matters

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Hauki posted:

Cool, thanks.

Both of my cans came sans label too, just to help matters

Was going to edit to say - use the minimum amount required to get the matte effect. If the miniature still looks semi-gloss/satin you can afford to hit it some more. The white discoloration comes from the mattifying properties of the spray.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Slimnoid posted:

It's basically thinking "down" rather than "up" with placement of layers. You're working from a light base and then down, applying thinned paint in select locations. I've been experimenting with it lately on some personal projects and I like how it's coming out for stuff like skin tones and worn, old metal. Clothing, not so much, but with enough practice I think I'll get the hang of it.

I've tried painting like that in the past and I just dont click with it. Recently i've been moving more towards starting from a midtone and working up and then glazing the shadows in and I really like the results there, but when i've tried to do pure glaze style painting its come out rather ragged.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Serotonin posted:

I paint ALL my minis with my left hand. :smug:

Seriously though, this is pretty rad. It looks pretty cleanly painted even for a dominant hand. Good on you for getting back into the hobby despite an injury!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

serious gaylord posted:

I've tried painting like that in the past and I just dont click with it. Recently i've been moving more towards starting from a midtone and working up and then glazing the shadows in and I really like the results there, but when i've tried to do pure glaze style painting its come out rather ragged.

Well, knowing how it's done and actually doing it are entirely different things. Glazes are tricky, and I'm finding it just easier to water the paint down on a wet pallet instead of using a glazing medium and treating it not unlike water colors, using thin layers so it doesn't pool.

Your idea works super well though.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Lethemonster posted:

camo camo camo

Self-promoting, no effort, repost incoming. Here's three examples of camo on one huge model.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Slimnoid posted:

Well, knowing how it's done and actually doing it are entirely different things. Glazes are tricky, and I'm finding it just easier to water the paint down on a wet pallet instead of using a glazing medium and treating it not unlike water colors, using thin layers so it doesn't pool.

This a hundred times over, most of my best blends have come from simply thinning my paints down and applying them in very thin layers.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I wish I had this idea:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Lethemonster posted:

Long time no see, painting thread.

I'm painting a Baneblade and wanted to give it a camo paint job. I'm struggling to find good reference models that aren't winter camo tanks.

If any of you lovely people could post or direct me towards well painted tanks with camo paint schemes I would be grateful.

This is the last thing I painted well over a year ago so I'm going off in a whole new direction.

camo camo camo

What kind of camo are you looking for other than "not winter"?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

SRM posted:

I wish I had this idea:

Holy poo poo.

I'm ripping that off for some obliterators.

If I ever pick up a brush again, anyway.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Does anyone recognize this brand of minis case? I have 2, this one and a bigger one. I'd like to buy more, but there's no brand name on them anywhere. Can anyone help?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Are you sure that's a minis case? Looks more like a generic transport-fragile-stuff-in-foam case to me.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Acceptableloss posted:

Does anyone recognize this brand of minis case? I have 2, this one and a bigger one. I'd like to buy more, but there's no brand name on them anywhere. Can anyone help?

It's similar to a Chessex figure storage box:
http://www.chessex.com/figure%20boxes/Figure_Storage_Boxes.htm

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

That's them! Thanks.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Acceptableloss posted:

I'm pretty sure that Chessex just rebrands them, since I've got one of those that I use to hold my modeling tools that I bought at an art store a few years ago, sans foam.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
More weekly painting:

Rosie, Chonotechnician from the Reaper line. I based the color scheme on Winry Rockbell, from Full Metal Alchemist. Considering I'm also going to paint a Gretha Female Sniper like Yoko Littner from Gurren Laggen, and both are going to be in the Raider faction, I think I've inadvertently come up with a neat squad theme.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Acceptableloss posted:

Looks like the same kind of case you'll find calipers in

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

So not to offend people, link only to my finished Kingdom Death Wet Nurse https://goo.gl/photos/EfRKykbPjkvbopox8

I was happy with the result as it was also my first mini that I have ever airbrushed (did all the priming and pre-shading using it).

I have the boxed game on the way, and thus lots of minis, with a lot less boobs on display.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

dr_ether posted:

So not to offend people, link only to my finished Kingdom Death Wet Nurse https://goo.gl/photos/EfRKykbPjkvbopox8

I was happy with the result as it was also my first mini that I have ever airbrushed (did all the priming and pre-shading using it).

I have the boxed game on the way, and thus lots of minis, with a lot less boobs on display.

Very well done, for contextual values of well done. :v:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

stabbington posted:

I'm pretty sure that Chessex just rebrands them, since I've got one of those that I use to hold my modeling tools that I bought at an art store a few years ago, sans foam.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you could find something similar at Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

:siren: first time painter alert :siren:
Welp, finally finished painting my first few guys today, they've been hanging around for a few days in need of the final gloss touch-ups on the shiny bits.
Lay it on me goons, how lovely is my shading? How thick & gloppy is my paint? Any other suggestions?

I felt like I was having a lot of trouble getting the layers to blend well on the red. I tried to follow the zenithal shading thing in the OP, but after washing everything red I wasn't really sure what to do next and just kinda ended up doing a standard base coat, wash, paint in highlights. I don't think the way I primed made any difference in the end with how many layers of shade & highlights I ended up putting on in an attempt to even out the gradation.

As for the droids, I wanted the red on the one set of lenses to help distinguish it as the elite version, but in retrospect leaving the basic unit's lenses black just... doesn't give much contrast or a focal point, no matter how glossy they are. I also wasn't sure how else to distinguish the elite royal guard vs. the basic royal guard, so I just painted the rims of the bases red for now. I'm planning on ultimately rebasing everything on to clear acrylic so they blend in with each of the various tilesets, so I'll need to find some other way to set them apart visually. I didn't bother including the basic ones, but it's currently the same paint job just with solid grey bases.

edit: also, I was trying to add some chipping/weathering with a bright silver on the droids, and it just... doesn't register at all really.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dr_ether posted:

What the gently caress is that thing!?

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I've been painting warmachine figures since I last posted in here learning to paint and I think I'm getting a lot better. I'm going to wait until I have all/most of my army painted before bothering to post though

so instead have a couple Zombicide guys I painted up today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

dr_ether posted:

Nice body horror monster. An honest criticism; work on getting those mold lines off, and your blending (while still better than mine) could use some subtlety, it is fairly harsh right now and the whole thing would improve if the transition between colours was softer.