Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
As long as it shows you smiting out pieces of metal into wasteland armor then I'll allow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

frajaq posted:

Looked more like armor crafting perk, which makes sense

The narrator even says "clever weapons"

E: armor crafting is right before that

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Gun Nut and Science! are both under Intelligence though. Maybe the skipping around at the end is quick previews of later films?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
So what's the longest a dude can survive in the wasteland in Fallout Shelter? I have a level 50 dude with maxed Endurance/Luck and middling other stats. I dressed him up in Power Armor and a rocket launcher and gave him 25 of each healing item. Then I left for a 3 week vacation...he's probably gonna have some sickass gear by the time I get home.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rabidredneck posted:

Gun Nut and Science! are both under Intelligence though. Maybe the skipping around at the end is quick previews of later films?

"There's more strength can do for you! *enumerates things*"

It's pretty clear what it's referring to.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it also skipped during that section pretty clearly

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So they're finally gonna explain the lvling system in those cute videos right

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think it just means that strength is now the designated crafting attribute, with some of the others still having some crafting specializations of their own.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

frajaq posted:

So they're finally gonna explain the lvling system in those cute videos right

nah seems like they're avoiding any concrete details

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
They might explain it when they get to Inteligence, though thats a few videos away.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
In terms of open world games since Skyrim in 2011 there have been a number of massive cross-platform hits...

> The Witcher 3 - Comes up frequently in conversations about meaningful quest design and satisfying writing.
> Phantom Pain - A critical darling, and will be fresh in everyone's minds. Very satisfying combat that ties directly to exploration.
> GTA5 - The fourth best selling game of all time. Widely recognized for a number of aspects that Fallout is going to lack, including vehicles, cinematic combat, and multiplayer.
> Minecraft - Technically released before Skyrim, but didn't really start to explode and develop until (I'd say) 2012, when it started to go cross-platform. I think you actually see some of this influence in the settlement building that Beth is incorporating.
> Far Cry 3/4 - Improves a lot on gunplay and variety, while also incorporating a bunch of varieties of movement beyond just pressing W.

Arguably there are others, depending on how you want to slice the definition. To some degree you could throw the Souls games in there, more for the layout and nature of exploration rather than the core mechanics. The subsequent Borderlands titles all have their own contributions to the genre, with 2 being seen by a lot of people as having improved on the ARPG/FPS formula. Whatever you think of DayZ, that's also really popular and influential.

The point is, that a lot of these games do aspects of the open world genre much better than Skyrim. Bethesda is good at offering a sort of homogenous final product that does everything more or less decently, but doesn't really stand out in any significant fashion. No doubt people will buy FO:4 is droves, and it's definitely going to be a bestseller, but I think you'll see more critical comparisons of its individual systems against improvements that have been made in the interim.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Rabidredneck posted:

The video is SPECIFICALLY about Strength, with videos fr other stats to come later, there's no reason to believe that it isn't a Strength perk.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

That cartoon is awesome. I can't wait for the others.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

So a few of the stats have a line of weapons and armor attached to them. Strong characters have perks for melee weapon and heavy armor crafting, maybe stuff like shotguns as well. Intelligence will probably have energy weapon perks and sciency armor stuff, like a wizard. Does the agile rogue get to make silencers and gecko skin chaps?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Magmarashi posted:

The video is SPECIFICALLY about Strength, with videos fr other stats to come later, there's no reason to believe that it isn't a Strength perk.

This is the kind of pre-release stuff that you can't assume anything about.

Between now and release they could change all that poo poo no problem; it's just a different variable probably.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
All the stats will now have a class associated with them, agility will be rogues who dual wield crossbows and flips. Luck is gambler who shoots bottlecaps with deadly accuracy.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Strength being the main armor & gun stat kind of throws a wrench into freeform building. Probably means you can't grab good science perks with good regular gun perks like I did in both F3 and NV.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Freakazoid_ posted:

Strength being the main armor & gun stat kind of throws a wrench into freeform building. Probably means you can't grab good science perks with good regular gun perks like I did in both F3 and NV.

There will (and should) always be some trade off.

Maybe you need strength for heavy armour, and will need other stats for other armour classes.

The video literally didn't do anything to elucidate this, so don't act like it brought some sort of revelation.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's a cohesive world where we've completely done away with any pretense of dialogue or meaningful NPC interaction. In fact, my most significant relationship involves repeated rendezvous with an emaciated Vin Diesel from Pitch Black who purrs something about "laying bare my true promise" by blowing chalk in my face. Beyond this, the bulk of my conversations are spent listening to NPCs provide cryptic monologues. "An observant man will see another way in," a woman quips while poking a lovely little trash fire with a stick. "Kill me and drink my blood," an injured man begs beside the road. "I have no use for it now."

One can almost imagine T. Howard laying beside the smoldering ruins of a PT Cruiser with a copy of Fallout 4 still clutched between his bony black fingers. "Kill me and drink my blood," he would say. "I have no use for it now."

You magnificent bastard.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

KiddieGrinder posted:

With a nice BOING sound too.
The Mysterious Stranger shows up as you frantically blast a Deathclaw. He levels his revolver, and in slow motion, a flag labeled, "BANG!" pops out.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Wait, I thought it was endurance that increased unarmed damage not strength?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Ak Gara posted:

Wait, I thought it was endurance that increased unarmed damage not strength?

New stat system, new mechanics. You can now, I believe, do a melee attack with some/most guns and ranged weapons so strength now increases all forms of melee damage, be it from sledge, fist or rifle stock.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
They'd better have the most important melee attack of all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MXIbS6haqk&t=30s

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sector_corrector posted:

The point is, that a lot of these games do aspects of the open world genre much better than Skyrim. Bethesda is good at offering a sort of homogenous final product that does everything more or less decently, but doesn't really stand out in any significant fashion. No doubt people will buy FO:4 is droves, and it's definitely going to be a bestseller, but I think you'll see more critical comparisons of its individual systems against improvements that have been made in the interim.

That's the thing though, while those games have some aspects better than Skyrim, they also have some aspects that are much worse (the combat in the Witcher series is frequently criticized, for example).

It's an example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

That's the thing though, while those games have some aspects better than Skyrim, they also have some aspects that are much worse (the combat in the Witcher series is frequently criticized, for example).

I know. That's like the whole purpose of what I wrote. Did you even loving read it?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

The combat in Witcher is not perfect, but it's definitely miles ahead of the awfulness that is Skyrim combat.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'd say the GTA games are in a different open world category than standard RPGs. And the exploration aspect in MGSV outside the main strongholds is basically nonexistent.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
It's basically a collectathon open world where you build the big hub city you can eventually explore by going out and loving around in likely premade mission areas. And even then I bet Witcher and GTA never had content actively cut from them to balance costs as those games are still the bread and butter of their respective developers.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Crabtree posted:

It's basically a collectathon open world where you build the big hub city you can eventually explore by going out and loving around in likely premade mission areas. And even then I bet Witcher and GTA never had content actively cut from them to balance costs as those games are still the bread and butter of their respective developers.

That's a joke, right? GTA has a ton of cut content. San Andreas actually had a mod called something like "Things to do in San Andreas" that added back on 99% of the cut content, finished or not. The change list was a mile long. I doubt they just cut that content for shits and giggles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crabtree posted:

And even then I bet Witcher and GTA never had content actively cut from them to balance costs as those games are still the bread and butter of their respective developers.

Both Witcher and GTA not only have cut content, they have actively openly cut content that the developers have discussed and cut content people found by poking around in game files. Witcher 3 had entire areas cut because they were not cost or time effective to make/finish.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

JackBadass posted:

That's a joke, right? GTA has a ton of cut content. San Andreas actually had a mod called something like "Things to do in San Andreas" that added back on 99% of the cut content, finished or not. The change list was a mile long. I doubt they just cut that content for shits and giggles.

And yet both Witcher 3 and San Andreas both feel like complete and massive games even with all the missing pieces. Probably because they just cut said content out completely instead of regulating them to audio log territory.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Every single game, without exception, has cut content because Time and Money are limited resources. What are you people who think otherwise smoking, because you got a bad deal on it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The thing is that so few open world games come close to dealing with the amount of random bullshit you can do a Bethesda game. MGS doesn't have to worry about Big Boss deciding to try and steal from Miller during a cut scene. It's a testament to Bethesda that the game doesn't constantly fly apart at the seams.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Yeah gotta give credit were credit is due. No other game companies have come close to creating games on the scale of the Bethesda gamebryo games. Sure it can be buggy and a bit wonky, but I cant recall from the top of my head any other games offering the same kind of freedom, from the character creation and the way you interact with the world, along with the freedom to mod pretty much anything.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

If any other game would let me pick up a book and ragdoll it around while going "ooOOOoo ghost" I'd probably play Bethesda games a lot less

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah W3 was great but there's waaaay more moving parts in a Elder Scrolls or Fallout game.

What other game lets you put a bucket on an NPC's head so they don't notice while you rob them blind?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Magmarashi posted:

Every single game, without exception, has cut content because Time and Money are limited resources. What are you people who think otherwise smoking, because you got a bad deal on it.

There's a difference between companies whose bread and butter are only in making and publishing games and Konami who couldn't give a gently caress. Cut content can be caused by incompetent management as well as dealing with the realities of programming. But Beth/Zenimax are still mostly video game companies so they probably aren't as bad as they could be.

But I have yet to see a horse as amazing as Roche bugs can get so you can keep your bucket theft and rear end in a top hat physics.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

steinrokkan posted:

There will (and should) always be some trade off.

Maybe you need strength for heavy armour, and will need other stats for other armour classes.

The video literally didn't do anything to elucidate this, so don't act like it brought some sort of revelation.

excuse me, this is video games we're talking about here. I can knee-jerk to revelations as hard as I want!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Crabtree posted:

There's a difference between companies whose bread and butter are only in making and publishing games and Konami who couldn't give a gently caress. Cut content can be caused by incompetent management as well as dealing with the realities of programming. But Beth/Zenimax are still mostly video game companies so they probably aren't as bad as they could be.

But I have yet to see a horse as amazing as Roche bugs can get so you can keep your bucket theft and rear end in a top hat physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93W6mB0ZqCM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Those bugs are features imo

• Locked thread