Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

gradenko_2000 posted:

The GOP has a lot of experience with voter suppression.

Little did they know they'd soon have to use it on ... themselves :unsmigghh:

That's been the prediction since December 2012 actually.

That since the likely dem nominee after Obama would likely do better with working class rural whites than Ovama, they would have to start pressuring voter disenfranchisement on working class rural whites as well if they wanted to win in 2016. Even though that stood to hurt them as well, the idea is that it would still hurt the dems more by hitting more of their base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

That's been the prediction since December 2012 actually.

That since the likely dem nominee after Obama would likely do better with working class rural whites than Ovama, they would have to start pressuring voter disenfranchisement on working class rural whites as well if they wanted to win in 2016. Even though that stood to hurt them as well, the idea is that it would still hurt the dems more by hitting more of their base

There's only so much you can do to suppress the white vote before you get a big backlash.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Zinkraptor posted:

I feel exactly the same. I was CONVINCED that this election's primaries would be predictable and boring compared to the circus that was the 2012 GOP primary but then Trump happened and Jeb started committing political suicide repeatedly, so now everything is madness and ???????????

Trump's ascendance is completely insane but I'm still gobsmacked by how loving bad Jeb is at politics. In some ways its honestly impressive how every time Jeb speaks a long, bowl-winding turd just falls out of his mouth.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Everyone keeps saying Jeb! is bad at politics, but I'm not sure I see it. To a Democrat or non-vile person he might be saying some rather insensitive things but I don't see how it's any worse than what Trump or Cruz is doing.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

SquadronROE posted:

Everyone keeps saying Jeb! is bad at politics, but I'm not sure I see it. To a Democrat or non-vile person he might be saying some rather insensitive things but I don't see how it's any worse than what Trump or Cruz is doing.

Trump and Cruz are not exactly the height of political acumen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SquadronROE posted:

Imagine if Nixon had a grandson that was running for President and he couldn't shut up about how great Pinochet was.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

computer parts posted:

Imagine if Nixon had a grandson that was running for President and he couldn't shut up about how great Pinochet was.

Hah, yeah. Good point.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Isn't that basically Lindsey Graham's schtick?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "14yrs ago terrorists attacked killing 3000 of us Like 12/7/41"lives in infamy" so will 9/11 2dayJapanese friendly Jihadists want kill us" ~ Chuck Grassley

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
That's a very specific form of Jihadist.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "14yrs ago terrorists attacked killing 3000 of us Like 12/7/41"lives in infamy" so will 9/11 2dayJapanese friendly Jihadists want kill us" ~ Chuck Grassley

What in the gently caress does that even mean?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah those Japanese friendly Jihadists don't sound so friendly tbh.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Morrow posted:

That's a very specific form of Jihadist.

I'm a pacifist, but I may be willing to make an exception for weeaboo jihadists.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

What does Trump or Carson or Cruz have to knock Bush or Walker out of the race?

Apparently a pretty impressive amount of appeal. He's really getting the attention of millions of people who just like how "honest" he is and are tired of politicians saying the same poo poo over and over. He might not have the campaign machine that Bush has, but if your name is out there every single day getting positive press in the eyes of people who you are trying to win over, I don't think anything Jeb does can match the level of effectiveness. Every time I go to the gym and they have 3 different news channels playing on the TVs over the treadmill/stairmaster area, every one of them is covering something about Trump. Every single one. How much money would Jeb have to spend to get that level of coverage? His 100 million isn't worth dick if he can't push through Trumps visibility.

Nothing seems to stick to him and anything his opponents throw at him just seems to make them look weak or petty. Has Trump done or said anything that is bad/wrong in the eyes of the base? I can't think of anything. Has Jeb? Every loving time he opens his mouth.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

SquadronROE posted:

He needs those people who like Trump or Cruz to vote for him, and at the moment they despise him more than we do. As much criticism Romney got from the base in 2012, his favorability numbers with the base were still a lot better than Jeb!'s are right now.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 11, 2015

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Do people forget that Ronald Reagan was a 2-term president based on celebrity status and rhetoric alone, despite being completely insane?

I'm aware that a good chunk of Trump's poll numbers are based on people loving drama and the entertainment value but I really wish I knew exactly how much.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Elephant Ambush posted:

Do people forget that Ronald Reagan was a 2-term president based on celebrity status and rhetoric alone, despite being completely insane?

uh reagan was governor of california for two terms

point being that he was vetted by the party. trump is loved by the rabid base but despised by the establishment GOP. it's pretty hard to push through half your potential constituents bitterly hating you as much as the other half worships you

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Elephant Ambush posted:

Ronald Reagan was a two-term Governor of a major state and ran for President twice before winning.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm aware that a good chunk of Trump's poll numbers are based on people loving drama and the entertainment value but I really wish I knew exactly how much.
That's not what happened.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

Ronald Reagan was a two-term Governor of a major state and ran for President twice before winning.

Don't let little facts get in the way of your narrative, Joe. Come on, you know better.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The House rejected a motion to approve the Iran deal 162 to 269. This is one of several votes they will hold on the topic today.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

The House rejected a motion to approve the Iran deal 162 to 269. This is one of several votes they will hold on the topic today.

i am glad that dumb, symbolic protest votes that mean jack poo poo are what they have to do with their time. No, really. I'd hate to see them actually do anything of note for a change.

What are the odds now of a shutdown looking like?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

What are the odds now of a shutdown looking like?

The Senate is going to pass a clean CR, probably late next week. Whether it passes the House depends entirely on John Boehner's willingness to put it on the floor for a vote and, as such, is difficult to predict.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

SquadronROE posted:

He gets pissy when people ask questions he doesn't want to answer. Especially about Iraq. It took days for him to grudgingly come around "Fine, I guess if I have to answer I really wouldn't have gone into Iraq!" Most politicians are just happy to run their mouths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL0eKnCiGMU

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/jeb-bush-now-says-i-would-not-have-gone-iraq-n358966

I can see where he comes across as unready or unpolished.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
And let's not forget Walker's complete inability to answer a question that he can't relate back to union busting. He punted on a topic once by literally saying, "I'm gonna have to punt on that one." In the words of His Trumpiness, a total loser.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Joementum posted:

The Senate is going to pass a clean CR, probably late next week. Whether it passes the House depends entirely on John Boehner's willingness to put it on the floor for a vote and, as such, is difficult to predict.

Oh good. I want to see if the House (and Boehner) do Hillary a solid by somehow shifting the narrative to the War on Women.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Who do they think they are performing this theater for exactly?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

He'll have to put a version with "Defund Planned Parenthood" stamped all over it first. Whether or not that causes more issues will depend on the Senate. My guess is that McConnell won't take it up.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

He'll have to put a version with "Defund Planned Parenthood" stamped all over it first. Whether or not that causes more issues will depend on the Senate. My guess is that McConnell won't take it up.

Well, he doesn't have to. He could, you know, grow a spine and tell them to gently caress off.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Well, he doesn't have to. He could, you know, grow a spine and tell them to gently caress off.

He might if it's that or a shutdown during the election season. We'll see.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

On Terra Firma posted:

Apparently a pretty impressive amount of appeal. He's really getting the attention of millions of people who just like how "honest" he is and are tired of politicians saying the same poo poo over and over. He might not have the campaign machine that Bush has, but if your name is out there every single day getting positive press in the eyes of people who you are trying to win over, I don't think anything Jeb does can match the level of effectiveness. Every time I go to the gym and they have 3 different news channels playing on the TVs over the treadmill/stairmaster area, every one of them is covering something about Trump. Every single one. How much money would Jeb have to spend to get that level of coverage? His 100 million isn't worth dick if he can't push through Trumps visibility.

Nothing seems to stick to him and anything his opponents throw at him just seems to make them look weak or petty. Has Trump done or said anything that is bad/wrong in the eyes of the base? I can't think of anything. Has Jeb? Every loving time he opens his mouth.

And what part of this will force Bush to drop out?

Candidates drop when they
a) run out of money
b) it becomes mathematically impossible for them to win (and sometimes fight to a stale mate then)
c) get pressure through the establishment and an offer from the leader that lets them and their supporters come into a greater position of power within the leader's organization

A won't happen - Bush has too much money and these days a pocket billionaire can keep anyone going.
C won't happen - Bush is the establishment guy of choice already. And can you really see Trump offering him a spot in his cabinet/VP? Or Bush taking it?
B we won't know about until almost a year from now. And I don't put good odds on Bush/Walker/Rubio/Kasich/Christie being decisively beat early on like how Gingrich or Perry was in 12

So basically we are down to the Quin Hillyer option that the establishment guys get together and most fall on their sword to let one of them rise. But other than that there is no way for Trump or any of the insurgents to force them out of the race

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mr Jaunts posted:

And let's not forget Walker's complete inability to answer a question that he can't relate back to union busting. He punted on a topic once by literally saying, "I'm gonna have to punt on that one." In the words of His Trumpiness, a total loser.

He refused to answer questions about the refugee crisis earlier this week because it was "hypothetical" and "there is no such thing as a hypothetical"

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Fried Chicken posted:

He refused to answer questions about the refugee crisis earlier this week because it was "hypothetical" and "there is no such thing as a hypothetical"

:vince::vince::vince:

Amazing.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
If I were a multibillionaire I'd write this man so many checks. :shepface:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

video clip of the people of Sterling Heights Michigan cheering after a proposal to allow construction of a mosque was voted down

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Fried Chicken posted:

I didn't hear the hypothetical part, I just knew he said "That's a question for the President" when asked about it.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

They won't be cheering when the city hikes property taxes to pay for the multi-million dollar judgment in two years.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

9 governors in it and they add up to only 22% combined

5 senators in that poll, and they add up to 20% combined... And almost half of that is Cruz.

Trump and Carson, neither of which has any experience in the field, coming together have more support than 14 vetted and elected officials.

Without Trump in the field, almost all his support flows to Carson and Cruz.

Somewhere Reince Priebus is hyperventilating into a paper bag.

The base's reaction when Bush gets the nomination is going to be amazing

That would indeed be awesome, but how exactly do you see that playing out? Will Trump/Carson lose their lead somehow or will there be delegate/convention mayhem where the establishment tries to ram a Bush/Walker ticket down everyone's throat even if they're behind in the polls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

That would indeed be awesome, but how exactly do you see that playing out? Will Trump/Carson lose their lead somehow or will there be delegate/convention mayhem where the establishment tries to ram a Bush/Walker ticket down everyone's throat even if they're behind in the polls?

We are 6 months out from the first primary. Guessing the "how" is a mugs game. I just look at the obstacles to be overcome and I can't see a way this doesn't go to whom the establishment picks

• Locked thread