Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
The problem with the Batmobile is that instead of coming up with a major threat that only it could defeat and working from there, they clearly made the decision to put the Batmobile in first and afterwards struggled to find any actual use for it. It just reflects the severe lack of imagination the whole game suffers from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I concur. The Batmobile puzzles didn't feel organic much of the time- like many of the puzzles and environments were designed for the Batmobile, rather than the Batmobile being designed to suit the environment.

The previous posts described a few of the Batmobile puzzles that felt forced. Conversely, a few made a lot of sense; using remote Batmobile to break batman out of a jam, or using the Batmobile to drag a broken elevator's counterweight.

They focused too much on it because it was the most major new gameplay element. I get that. I don't even find the controls too bad, or the battles. Just wish there were less puzzles that demanded it, or at least less that used it in a ham fisted fashion.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
The Riddler puzzles were some of the worst offenders of forced Batmobile "puzzles." Hell, half of them are not even puzzles, they're just racetracks. Isn't it convenient that he decided to start building vehicle-based puzzles now, in the game where the Batmobile is introduced?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The batmobile is fine.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked that one big puzzle where you lower the Batmobile down a big pit with giant fan blades.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The fan blade stuff actually worked well, I thought.

The whole "go in the subway system and play physics puzzles like we're in Half life 2" section can eat a dick though.

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User

l33t b4c0n posted:

The Riddler puzzles were some of the worst offenders of forced Batmobile "puzzles." Hell, half of them are not even puzzles, they're just racetracks. Isn't it convenient that he decided to start building vehicle-based puzzles now, in the game where the Batmobile is introduced?

Oh, no... there's more than one? :ohdear:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

l33t b4c0n posted:

Isn't it convenient that he decided to start building vehicle-based puzzles now, in the game where the Batmobile is introduced?

It's just a game, you should really just relax.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
And man, isn't it weird how he started keeping hostages across the city once Batman was able to do stuff off Arkham island?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

And man, isn't it weird how he started keeping hostages across the city once Batman was able to do stuff off Arkham island?

It's really convenient how he had just finished placing all those riddles when Batman was ON Arkham island. Not to mention that Riddler was off Arkham island at the time.

Well actually he does say he didn't have time to finish placing some of the easier trophies so maybe it's true. The entire Arkham series is just the Riddler getting better and better at time management, considering how complicated his traps get. And how quickly he places trophies between areas in Arkham Knight.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tree Huffer posted:

Does anybody else have the problem where it says that the content is still encrypted? I've had the game since July and haven't been able to even get it to start up because it says that the content is still encrypted. I thought waiting until there was an update patch might work, but it still didn't do anything. I tried e-mailing Steam Support, but they're just sending me a thing about how to get a refund. This is seriously the worst. I don't want a refund, I just wanna play the drat game.

Hit your steamapps directory for the game and see if there's a zero-byte file in there called the same as the game. delete that and retry.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I'm new to the Batman series, so I have to ask. I just got to the introduction of the Riddler, and the first thing I see on the mission select screen is "0 / 243 riddles solved". To save the damsel in distress, do I have to complete all the riddles? I'm feeling massively overwhelmed by that number.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lamquin posted:

I'm new to the Batman series, so I have to ask. I just got to the introduction of the Riddler, and the first thing I see on the mission select screen is "0 / 243 riddles solved". To save the damsel in distress, do I have to complete all the riddles? I'm feeling massively overwhelmed by that number.

No. You rescue Catwoman just by doing his main challenges. Collecting all the trophies is required to fight his boss battle but that is it.

You do need to do it to see the 'true ending' but you can Youtube that, it's 3 minutes tops.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The short answer is yes. If you want to save the damsel in distress (Catwoman) you have to get every Riddler challenge.

The long answer is sort-of. You can free Catwoman and not challenge the giant mecha Riddler. But who would do that?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

UserErr0r posted:

Oh, no... there's more than one? :ohdear:
I think there's only two or three but don't worry the last one is much much harder than the first!

That reminds me of one of my favorite things the game: the Riddler mission that asks you to glide through that rotating razor spike tube where just as you start to think "gently caress you, this is impossible" it lets you cheat.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 9, 2015

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Lamquin posted:

Note that that number is slightly misleading - including the destructible objects there's actually more like 300 riddles (if smashing things counts as a 'riddle', come on Eddie you used to make fun of Batman for breaking stuff). A good chunk of them can be obtained just by exploring the city though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lamquin posted:

Hey, that's nothing, Arkham City had 440! :getin:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

dscruffy1 posted:

The short answer is yes. If you want to save the damsel in distress (Catwoman) you have to get every Riddler challenge.

The long answer is sort-of. You can free Catwoman and not challenge the giant mecha Riddler. But who would do that?

People who don't want to waste their time either pixel hunting or looking at an online guide for an entire evening, just for a mediocre-at-best boss fight?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

People who don't want to waste their time either pixel hunting or looking at an online guide for an entire evening, just for a mediocre-at-best boss fight?

Sadly, still probably the best boss fight in AK.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I just realized what I want in Arkham Knight DLC:

Riddler's Revengeance.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

redbackground posted:

Hey, that's nothing, Arkham City had 440! :getin:

880 actually, since I redid the entire lot when they released the GOTY Editions for free for Steam users :cripes:

I just... I just really like playing the Batman games, okay? :sweatdrop:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Sindai posted:

That reminds me of one of my favorite things the game: the Riddler mission that asks you to glide through that rotating razor spike tube where just as you start to think "gently caress you, this is impossible" it lets you cheat.

I never got this out :mad:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Trickjaw posted:

I never got this out :mad:

You have to fail it a certain number of times, then Riddler mocks you and a green question mark on the wall near the water lights up. Hit with a batarang to open up a shortcut. They should have had Eddie make fun of you relentlessly for the rest of the game for it, but instead I think he actually still gets mad if you beat that challenge, as though he isn't the sole reason you were able to move on without breaking your controller.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I do not like racing with the Batmobile at all. I'd rather the tank just fight poo poo and ram cars and not have to bother with really pointless AR races.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

It's really not that hard to do without a guide. Just beat up riddler informants until they all show up on the map. And it's actually the best boss fight in the game.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

It's good but it's also over in about 90 seconds. Not a great return given how many hours it takes to hunt down all the trophies.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Medium Cool posted:

. And it's actually the best boss fight in the game.

That's not much.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

ayn rand hand job posted:

That's not much.

A fair point.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
loaded up the game to check out the new PC patch today and so far, it still runs bad, it's actually buggier for me for some reason and I got an out of memory crash (on a 12gb ddr3 system) so that's cool

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Jerusalem posted:

880 actually, since I redid the entire lot when they released the GOTY Editions for free for Steam users :cripes:

I just... I just really like playing the Batman games, okay? :sweatdrop:

I understand. Everyone wants to know who would collect that many Riddler trophies and the answer is obvious to me. Batman would. I am the night.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Preview of a Superman mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aacdoKud594

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

Superman is like the one hero I would NOT want to play as. Especially as a followup to being Batman. And a large part of that is just that his sphere of influence/rogue's gallery are really uninteresting to me. And I don't want any "Everyone is laced with kryptonite, so you have a reason why everyone doesn't die" garbage.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Parasite leeches part of Superman's powers at the start of the game. Shenanigans happen resulting in Superman getting away, but needing to stop other incidents that pop-up while also being weakened from the drain.

As Superman slowly regains his powers due to Parasite's abilities having a time limit (as I recall from TAS), Parasite absorbs some other people's powers so that the boss fight with him isn't a complete joke.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
They could always go the origins routine so its just finding out Lex is a horrible rich rear end in a top hat and Superman doesn't really know the extent of his powers at this point. That way they can stay with the enemies that everyone knows while likely educating everyone, including the developers, of Superman's enemies outside of a Evil Bruce Wayne and some green alien robot. But a really doubt they'd let Superman be the Superman of old and it wouldn't be Man of Steel the video game yet again.

But at least a superman game wouldn't revolve entirely on forcing the new gimmick car into almost every part of the journey so it'd be going back to using your abilities to handle whatevers thrown at you. Here's another wave of drones, try out your new ice breath!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
What Superman villains would lend well to a game?

I'd say Parasite or Metallo would be good for making you feel weak after giving you a taste of power for a while, Livewire for a technical fight, Doomsday or Darkseid for a full power brawl, Braniac or Luthor for something more thought provocative, etc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What Superman villains would lend well to a game?

I'd say Parasite or Metallo would be good for making you feel weak after giving you a taste of power for a while, Livewire for a technical fight, Doomsday or Darkseid for a full power brawl, Braniac or Luthor for something more thought provocative, etc.

Doomsday, Bizarro, Parasite, Metallo, Braniac, Cyborg Superman, Conduit. Zod and his pals, maybe Mister Mxyzptlk as a Scarecrow hallucination kind of thing,, Lex Luthor in power armor, Maxima...

Like it'd be pretty trivial to find noteworthy villains for Superman to fight.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Isn't current Superman de-powered to the point of being basically just a really strong dude now? I seem to recall him fighting mecha-Batman and getting his rear end kicked. Just make a Crackdown style game starring that Superman and go.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Isn't current Superman de-powered to the point of being basically just a really strong dude now? I seem to recall him fighting mecha-Batman and getting his rear end kicked. Just make a Crackdown style game starring that Superman and go.

There are two Supermen now. One is depowered, the other is in hiding and married to Lois Lane.

Comics!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Any word when the nightwing story DLC is dropping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Some easter eggs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx_bLgs6YE

• Locked thread