Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The lesson is to always get your Syphon Filter shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Ask Roboky if he'd be willing to do commentary as himself and as himself imitating Coolguy

or you could imitate Coolguy and be yourself

there are possibilities here

(or just wait, it's cool)

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Holy poo poo finally somebody LPs this trilogy, I LOVED these games as a kid so bad :allears:

The music in these games are loving awesome too, that Washington Park music is just fantastically low-key for me with that constant rain-and-thunder atmosphere along with it. Loved this and you guys are hilarious so I'm definitely following this.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Ahh, Syphon Filter. A game I didn't really understand how to play as a kid, but my brother was good at it. I was only able to play when I had the Gameshark plugged in and using the cheats for invincibility. The one thing I remember most about the games was using the taser as my only weapon making people catch on fire. It doesn't use ammo. Let's burn everything!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Inco posted:

That opening cutscene is really impressive, considering the hardware. Compare the nodding heads and blank faces and complete silence of GoldenEye's cutscenes.
To be fair, Goldeneye was on a 12MB cartridge so they couldn't really do those big prerendered cutscenes you'd get on CD-based games.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Hey uh since we haven't had any updates in a bit, is Coolguye still okay after his fever? I hope he's alright :( I mean I love this LP and want it to continue but I hope the three of you are still able to keep going in good health.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Psion posted:

Ask Roboky if he'd be willing to do commentary as himself and as himself imitating Coolguy

or you could imitate Coolguy and be yourself

there are possibilities here

(or just wait, it's cool)

Pro-Choice:

Record your commentary and Roboky's commentary together, then send that video to Coolguye to have him record his commentary, commenting in between your conversation where he can.

Bonus points if you deliberately ask him questions and leave dead air for him to fill in.

Double bonus points if Roboky manages to cut him off, repeatedly.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
After I got better, Roboky got sick.

And then The Phantom Pain came out and basically everyone went into that foot-first.

Lunethex has been properly harassing us, but circumstances have conspired against us recently. I have another LP in the pipe that I've now delayed starting for 3 weeks because of the same reasons.

Sorry for the delay - now that Phantom Pain's been out a bit I will get more insistent about sitting down again.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Coolguye posted:

And then The Phantom Pain came out and basically everyone went into that foot-first.

Lunethex has been properly harassing us, but circumstances have conspired against us recently. I have another LP in the pipe that I've now delayed starting for 3 weeks because of the same reasons.

Sorry for the delay - now that Phantom Pain's been out a bit I will get more insistent about sitting down again.
Well I am glad at least you're alright :) and hope that Roboky also gets better too also it's totally understandable you want to get on the fulton effect full-stop with MGSV soooo thanks for the update!

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Coolguye posted:

Glad that everything's all right. Really looking forward to more of this LP. :)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I don't know why I didn't say this before, but I can't believe Coolguye called Gabe an rear end in a top hat for rolling in front of that cop car when he's a very avid PAYDAY 2 player and therefore should want cops to be inconvenienced as much as possible :v:

Also, thank you for these responses. I was actually seriously considering while at work today to just sit down and put it out myself but I keep holding on hope (and telling myself) that having these two jokers around will make this more magical than it can be.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

IT HURTS

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lunethex posted:

I don't know why I didn't say this before, but I can't believe Coolguye called Gabe an rear end in a top hat for rolling in front of that cop car when he's a very avid PAYDAY 2 player and therefore should want cops to be inconvenienced as much as possible :v:

Also, thank you for these responses. I was actually seriously considering while at work today to just sit down and put it out myself but I keep holding on hope (and telling myself) that having these two jokers around will make this more magical than it can be.

As long as the Taser comes out everything will be fine. I need more taser in my life.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Night10194 posted:

As long as the Taser comes out everything will be fine. I need more taser in my life.

I saw a friend play this game when i was younger, and literally the only thing that I remember from this game is that the taser that sets people on fire. It was great at the time, and it's still great.

Loving the LP so far, and deffo looking forward to seeing more out of this game.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

XavierGenisi posted:

I saw a friend play this game when i was younger, and literally the only thing that I remember from this game is that the taser that sets people on fire. It was great at the time, and it's still great.

Loving the LP so far, and deffo looking forward to seeing more out of this game.
It's pretty much the one thing everyone remembers of this game and it is the best loving weapon even if you don't get too many uses for it :allears: but when you find a lone enemy and whip that thing out it is just magical

Lunethex posted:

I believe so :) I never heard of you guys before this LP and already I'm fans of you, you guys have hilarious chemistry and hell I might just go back and rewatch the first three videos again today since it's been a while.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I have the Syphon Filter games. I am hilariously bad at the Syphon Filter games. Please continue with the LP so I can experience the game as a semi-competent person would.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Night10194 posted:

I showed this game to my girlfriend and she spent the entire first level running around, lighting everyone she could on fire.

It was just as magical as you'd think. :allears:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I promise that Episode 2 lives up to the standards set in the first update. Whatever happens, it will be seen, and then I will be sent to a black site for the crime that I committed the crime the taser possessed me to commit at the end of it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

gently caress yes first RE6 and now Syphon Filter? You're just gonna through all my favorite games aren't you :allears:

I know this is jumping ahead a bit but is it SF 2 or 3 that had like a challenge mode where you had to go around killing guards in certain ways or without getting seen? I remember many wasted hours trying to stealth some bridge level with only a knife and never actually getting it.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

gently caress yeah i loved syphon filter 2 as a kid and playing multiplayer with my cousin every time we got together

we were dumb and never figured out how to switch weapons, so we used default guns in MP and switched weapons through the main menu in SP

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

gently caress yes first RE6 and now Syphon Filter? You're just gonna through all my favorite games aren't you :allears:

I know this is jumping ahead a bit but is it SF 2 or 3 that had like a challenge mode where you had to go around killing guards in certain ways or without getting seen? I remember many wasted hours trying to stealth some bridge level with only a knife and never actually getting it.

SF3 has a mini-game mode where you can play a bunch of different challenges as different characters, including assassinations where you have to be unseen.

Though I think this bridge level & knife are relevant more to SF2, you can do a stealth thing in a level to avoid a really nasty encounter. In fact there are certain circumstances throughout SF2 and 3 where you can do that, but not so in SF1 I think.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

FinalGamer posted:

I believe so :) I never heard of you guys before this LP and already I'm fans of you, you guys have hilarious chemistry and hell I might just go back and rewatch the first three videos again today since it's been a while.
Part of this is us cheating; Roboky and I have been pals for 4 years at this point, and have done 8 LPs together. Lunethex slots right in because he's basically committed to having so much fun it's criminal, which has always been our calling card.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Coolguye posted:

Part of this is us cheating; Roboky and I have been pals for 4 years at this point, and have done 8 LPs together. Lunethex slots right in because he's basically committed to having so much fun it's criminal, which has always been our calling card.

You and roboky are such a riot to ride along with. Thanks for all the years.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

:siren:WE'RE BACK:siren:

Update 02 - The Trail at Pharcom

Syphon Filter Episode 2 - Pharcom Exposition Center|(26:48)
Gabe goes undercover to follow his only lead: Phagan, the head of Pharcom, a corporation with patents on Rhoemer's biological compounds. The taser takes center stage as old men and even women are left mutilated by Satan's spaghetti.

~Dossier

~Equipment Database

Sorry for the delay :shobon:

I'll record the next episode on Saturday, let me know if you want me to do anything or what have you. My MO is to record after I get involved with the thread each update.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 11, 2015

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Guys I had to put Benton on leave with pay for a day he was wiring the place up with bombs and painting "I'm a traitor" on the walls in the blood of agents he lead to their deaths? I'm thinking we might need to sit him down and talk about agency pride? But don't be too pushy about it. We don't want to upset him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"Satan's Spaghetti" is the perfect name for the Taser.

The Taser is the perfect punishment for all traitors.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Once again, the taser proves itself to be the great unsung hero of late 90s video games. I remember hating the stealth sections, at least initially. There's almost no leeway. You have maybe two seconds to react or else you're screwed. And you guys really delivered on your reaction go Gabe going through the glass dome. It's everything you want it to be and more. Thank god this is back.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That loving ziggurat room! :argh:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'd forgotten how much I enjoy Gabe Logan's voice acting. I have no idea who the actor is, but somehow he's got the perfect amount of "rugged badass" in his voice; he skips right up against the edge of self-parody but never quite goes over. It's amazing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The guys making this game also 'got' what makes a good action movie gunfight with all the dive rolls, movement, breaking line of sight, and poo poo getting broken or exploding from the bullets.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The K3G4 is amazing not only because it ignores flak jackets but it also leaves them undamaged for you to pick up. It's basically the best gun in the game that doesn't use electricity.

Edit: Another neat thing about enemies with flak jackets is that if you shoot them in the chest a bunch then kill them with a headshot the flak jacket they drop will only have whatever armor is left, not the usual 1/3 refill.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 11, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Wanderer posted:

I'd forgotten how much I enjoy Gabe Logan's voice acting. I have no idea who the actor is, but somehow he's got the perfect amount of "rugged badass" in his voice; he skips right up against the edge of self-parody but never quite goes over. It's amazing.

his name is John Chacon and Gabe is all he ever did...except appearing as himself on one episode of some MMA tournament show, which is truly random. I'm surprised - he could've used this game as a springboard into the wonderful low-pay, high-stress, long-hours work of professional videogame voiceover artist!

oh wait

probably a good move

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I'm now left wondering what's the better weapon: Syphon Filter's taser, or DooM's shotgun...

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
What the gently caress, how did I never know you could taze Aramov? I always did that bit the other way.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Lynx posted:

What the gently caress, how did I never know you could taze Aramov? I always did that bit the other way.

Well, me too, but that's because as far as I'm concerned the taser is a lethal and ONLY lethal weapon in this game so the idea of using it for its intended purpose never really crossed my mind. For some reason.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I wonder if the "teflon-coated bullets" thing is a reference to Lethal Weapon: the "improved armor piercing capabilities" thing is false, but I seem to recall it was the plot of the third movie.
Also add me to the list of people surprised that the taser can be used for its intended purpose in this game. :v:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

radintorov posted:

I wonder if the "teflon-coated bullets" thing is a reference to Lethal Weapon: the "improved armor piercing capabilities" thing is false, but I seem to recall it was the plot of the third movie.
Also add me to the list of people surprised that the taser can be used for its intended purpose in this game. :v:

I wouldn't call it a reference so much as both sets of writers falling for the same stupid urban legends.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I only ever played The Omega Strain (which was a blast), so it'll be interesting to see where the series came from.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Speleothing posted:

I wouldn't call it a reference so much as both sets of writers falling for the same stupid urban legends.

Not that much of an urban legend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teflon-coated_bullet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Praise the taze - Let's start a cult in SYPHON FILTER

• Locked thread