Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Palpek posted:

In the meantime Unity even removed diving but I guess Seine is such a sewage that even battle hardened assassins won't risk going underwater.

As much as I am disappointed with how bland unity was, this has to be the dumbest argument against it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Palpek posted:

In the meantime Unity even removed diving but I guess Seine is such a sewage that even battle hardened assassins won't risk going underwater.

I guess you might be able to try yourself some time...

quote:

Have you ever played one of Ubisoft’s games and thought, “This is fun and all, but I’d really like to experience it as a theme park ride”? Good news! That wish will soon become reality, now that Ubisoft’s announced plans for a next-generation theme park. Slated to open in 2020 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, the park will be a 10,000-square-meter indoor complex featuring rides, shows and other attractions, all built around Ubisoft’s games and characters.

“Ubisoft’s intention for this park is to immerse people in reactive worlds where they can interact with each other and become the heroes of their own life-sized game,” says Jean de Rivières, senior vice president of Ubisoft Motion Pictures, which is leading the project. Having previously produced an award-winning Rabbids dark ride for the Futuroscope theme park in France, Ubisoft Motion Pictures is creating the new park together with Malaysian theme-park developer RSG. RSG will own and operate the park, while Ubisoft will maintain creative control over the attractions.

Few specifics have been revealed about upcoming attractions, but “Ubisoft will produce all digital media for the rides, and help design guests’ journey into the park to ensure the visitors’ experience is at its best,” says Rivières.

“Malaysia is the second-most-visited country in Asia” Rivières adds, citing a 2014 report by the World Tourism Organization. “There is room for multiple projects to take root in the region and a growing middle class with an increasing income and appetite for entertainment.”

It's not April 1, I'm confused.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

GhostDog posted:

Monetise it monetise it monetise it!!! :black101:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

GhostDog posted:

Why would a French publisher open a theme park in Asia?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

kanonvandekempen posted:

As much as I am disappointed with how bland unity was, this has to be the dumbest argument against it so far.
Well, it was supposed to be funny but more as an example of oversimplifying or cutting game mechanics with a long list including the rope, whistling, diving, executions etc. It all added up to making the experience more bland as all that this accomplished was removing various ways in which you could have approached a mission if it was a previous AC game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ubisoft plays catch-up with these games.

People liked sailing, let's make a pirate one.
Some of the long time fans didn't like the focus on sailing over Assassin's Creeding, but some said the sailing was the only good part so let's make both.
People are upset at no female Assassins in the last one, let's put one in.

So whatever you want in the next Assassin's Creed, just complain loudly about it in the current one.

Kurtofan posted:

Why would a French publisher open a theme park in Asia?

That whole area has a lot of branded restaurants, parks etc.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 8, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

Well, it was supposed to be funny but more as an example of oversimplifying or cutting game mechanics with a long list including the rope, whistling, diving, executions etc. It all added up to making the experience more bland as all that this accomplished was removing various ways in which you could have approached a mission if it was a previous AC game.

Which is really sad as a lot of Unity's missions were opened up more in terms of level design. They would have been open to far more approaches.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Aphrodite posted:

So whatever you want in the next Assassin's Creed, just complain loudly about it in the current one.

Unless it's bringing back the good multiplayer.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Kuiperdolin posted:

Unless it's bringing back the good multiplayer.

competitive multiplayer was what brought me into AC in the first place. I was extra sad it didn't live past AC4

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

hiddenriverninja posted:

competitive multiplayer was what brought me into AC in the first place. I was extra sad it didn't live past AC4

I loved the competitive multiplayer, but they really didn't change it up enough between each game so by AC3, I was burned out on it.

I loved the CooP from AC: Unity, too. If they alternated between the two (coop, competitive) each game, that would give the modes enough time to feel fresh again or at the very least the devs time to come up with new ideas to keep them fresh.

On the one hand, I'm kinda excited there's no multiplayer this time around so they can focus on making the single player great.

That said...everything they've shown so far seems so BLAND. The game just screams "generic Ubisoft openworld game" based off of what they've shown. Yeah...every AC game has been a "generic Ubisoft openworld game", its the series where they refined the formula, but Syndicate is looking...doubly bland? I think the Witcher 3 raised the bar so high as to how handcrafted an openworld game is, the generic-ness of Assassins Creed is starting (hah!) to look dated.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Say what you want about AC 3, that main theme owns bones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvJTDEpalAQ

The music has always been exemplary. I do like as how we get closer to modern day, timeline wise, they're going out of their way to include tons of music contemporary to the setting.

Them shanties! :allears:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 8, 2015

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

hiddenriverninja posted:

One thing that AC games have universally excelled at is being aesthetically pleasing. They all look great (for the platforms they were developed for, and in Unity's case when it was patched), and with the exception of voice acting in AC1 they all sound great. The soundtracks are almost all superb.

Where they live and die though is in the gameplay and the writing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

If they just said that for Syndicate they're keeping the improved systems from Unity like item inventory, parkour, coop, base of operations, detailed building interiors and swore to bring back everything they cut from the land gameplay that is still there in Rogue then I would be all over it. But ehh.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Humble Store is doing an Ubisoft sale with a build your own bundle thing where the more games you have, the more of a discount you get. That includes the Assassin's Creed games, even Chronicles game set in China. Might be worth checking out if you haven't played a certain game yet.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Today I was in Paris in FNAC at Les Halles north of Notre Dame / Sainte Chappelle and they still have life sized statues of Connor from AC3 and that guy from Unity in the video games section in the second basement. I was actually excited to take a selfie with Connor. I don't know what's wrong with me

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

If I had to dream up a cool coop mode, i'd have 2 Assassins, one in the Animus and another in the real world, navigating and exploring a similar yet evolved real structure in real time, searching for some kind of clue in the past to do something in the future.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

If I had to dream up a cool coop mode, i'd have 2 Assassins, one in the Animus and another in the real world, navigating and exploring a similar yet evolved real structure in real time, searching for some kind of clue in the past to do something in the future.

When they originally announced the gimmick of Revelations this is what a lot of people thought it would be.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://me.ign.com/en/videos/111275/video/new-assassins-creed-syndicate-mission-walkthrough
new gameplay.

idk least you dont have insta-fail stealth.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Aside from the animus bleeps and bloops and that he has a wrist dagger I basically can't recognize that as AC at all.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Looks super mediocre. I'll still play it though for god knows whatever reason.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

same. then again i thought black flag looked mediochere as poo poo when it was shown off and now its my favorite. god i am sad. :emo:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

I obsessively follow these stupid games and is it just me or are they previewing AC:S with a lot more....real gameplay this time around? Like, it doesn't look like a scripted walkthrough but genuine, legit gameplay.

Its odd.

Marketingwise, it does seem the intent is to say: "LOOK ITS NOT BUGGY LIKE UNITY!" but they seem to be missing the point that it looks really boring.

I'll hold of. I wasn't going to get Black Flag and then the reviews were overwhelmingly positive. Then I stupidly preordered Unity on AC4 good faith. I liked it, but I think I would have liked it more had I not played it at release. :sigh:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Orv posted:

Aside from the animus bleeps and bloops and that he has a wrist dagger I basically can't recognize that as AC at all.
Goddamn, you weren't kidding. Only the HUD is an old friend at this point. The cutscene cinematography (long, sweeping establishing pans) and facial rendering (what's up with that? It's so lovely) is really throwing me off with how jarringly different it is from the rest. New doesn't necessarily mean bad, and I'm definitely looking forward to it coming out, but only so others can play it, and I can judge for myself whether it's worth it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Snuffman posted:

I obsessively follow these stupid games and is it just me or are they previewing AC:S with a lot more....real gameplay this time around? Like, it doesn't look like a scripted walkthrough but genuine, legit gameplay.

Its odd.

Marketingwise, it does seem the intent is to say: "LOOK ITS NOT BUGGY LIKE UNITY!" but they seem to be missing the point that it looks really boring.

I'll hold of. I wasn't going to get Black Flag and then the reviews were overwhelmingly positive. Then I stupidly preordered Unity on AC4 good faith. I liked it, but I think I would have liked it more had I not played it at release. :sigh:

probaly because they realize how bad they hosed up with unity. Sure unity not have been "worst game evar" but it was broken enough in enough ways that ubisoft gave out free games to compensate. They risked big on a glorified new gen tech demo and lost. so for now they are taking a more Conservative approach to the markting. it reminds me alot of what happend after 3, they were a lot quieter about 4. then again alot of the bigger studios have been more queit about their various yearly projects. i have bearly heard a peep from activision, even though AW and the BO3 beta were pretty fun.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Even if AC Unity was a perfectly optimized and polished game, it'd still be a complete chore to play through. Ubisoft doesn't seem to realize that, because Syndicate just looks like a more optimized and polished Unity with nothing done to address how loving boring Unity was.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I don't know what's up with those Syndicate facial animations because Unity had a really great facial animation engine, suppressed only by Witcher 3. I guess they decided not to use it?

Orv
May 4, 2011

kinmik posted:

Goddamn, you weren't kidding. Only the HUD is an old friend at this point. The cutscene cinematography (long, sweeping establishing pans) and facial rendering (what's up with that? It's so lovely) is really throwing me off with how jarringly different it is from the rest. New doesn't necessarily mean bad, and I'm definitely looking forward to it coming out, but only so others can play it, and I can judge for myself whether it's worth it.

Like, it's an assassination mission, probably an early one admittedly, and he just walks in and beats up a few dudes, knifes a few others and leaves. One of the long standing complaints with AC is that the assassinations aren't very assassin-y, but you can't deny that throughout the series all of the specific assassination missions at least have some production to them. Some pomp and circumstance; running along rooftops, having to find the target, having to do some modicum of stealth and avoidance. They at least tend to be cool setpieces. This is just... eh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's kind of the guy's thing. It's the sister who's all stealthy.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Christ I hate NDAs. I wouldn't even be badtalking the game (hypothetically)!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

I don't know what's up with those Syndicate facial animations because Unity had a really great facial animation engine, suppressed only by Witcher 3. I guess they decided not to use it?

maybe they realy are just showing early alpha/beta footage. after all the poo poo they got about watchdogs graphics it wouldnt surprise me if they were trying to cover there rear end.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I don't think these games will be good until ubisoft goes "huh maybe we don't need to pop these things out every year". It's just not sustainable.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I know I'm terriblw with faces but I honestly can't tell the difference.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Looks incredibly dull, I dig the time period but it doesn't work in the AC universe at all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deakul posted:

Looks incredibly dull, I dig the time period but it doesn't work in the AC universe at all.

ehh. victorian england. rich fucks in secret socities loving over the common man for "the greater good" and for money. it works to me. also seems to have a guy richie Sherlock Holmes feel.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Ardent Communist posted:

This is good to (not) hear, at least

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ardent Communist posted:

any hints at least. you can pm if you want? i am curious if its alright or not?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Kuiperdolin posted:

I know I'm terriblw with faces but I honestly can't tell the difference.
Compare Unity

With this

Terrible faces, indeed.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I definitely noticed a downgrade in graphical fidelity, not just the faces, from Unity too. This is probably how they're optimizing the game though so it won't run like poo poo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Let's not forget how good Unity's premise looked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5tBpPxdZGs

...so I'm not believing anything until I play Syndicate myself (also check out the facial expressions in the trailer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://soundcloud.com/awintory/assassins-creed-syndicate-bloodlines

so apperently this is the main theme. its nice at least.

• Locked thread