Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
lets keep pitching ideas for a game that is (allegedly) already mostly finished im an ideas guy myself you see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang

captain innocuous posted:

Rebounder - each bullet bounces off and hits a nearby creature for minor damage, possibly the shooter if close enough
Hot Shotter - each shell/bullet casing explodes or catches fire after being fired, near the shooter's feet. Dangerous if fired while stationary, but good if being chased
Clinger Winger - bullets become sticky and latch onto target, and deal their damage over time
Homeward Bounded - missed shots return in the direction they were fired when they don't hit an enemy, having a second chance to hit the enemy but also the shooter
Scorpion - Each hit has a chance to pull the target closer and disorient briefly
Scanner - have a chance to see the target's thoughts (completely useless in-game)
Condenser - The longer the gun is fired continuously, the faster the rate of fire, but the damage is proportionally lowered, reset on reload
HoloDuke - Create a decoy at the shooter's location
Two-faced - Using twice the ammo, fires to the left and right simultaneously
Miasmarred - Each hit release a damage over time cloud instead of direct damage
Fibromyalgia - Give the target and shooter damage frames on hit
Command Liner - shots form an impassable barrier briefly

I really like Hot Shotter. Didnt think of doing anything with shell casings! I like it....Although some weapons dont have shell casings. Were gonna have to cheat a bit with that.
4 of these others ones are already in the game, or have something very close to them in there. Which ones...??? Secret...

I also like the rewind one, but it might need some thought on how that would be implemented exactly! Could mix very weirdly with some of the other affixes and special gun's. Like with anything explosive, or that have weird bullet patterns, like the lobbing flare guns... could get pretty complicated. Making it a Prefix 1 would make it mutually exclusive to weird bullet pattern affixes though, so that would take care of that problem.
We'll think about it...

FrankieSmileShow fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 11, 2015

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Gortarius posted:

Working on Affixes. There is still some vacancies. Let me know if you got any good ones. Effect and all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmxehW0pj5Y

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I wanna say that I really recommend you don't be afraid of allowing people to make gun's that are effectively useless because of silly affix interactions, like a gun with explosive shots + the rewind thing causing endless self-damaging explosions if you keep missing.

Because that poo poo's hilarious and I love it

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Oh, we don't worry about some weapon property combinations being a bad idea, we generally worry more about comboes that just don't do anything. That's been a rule of thumb from the getgo, every combination should do *something*. At worst we can just add some exceptions to make sure something always happens, but exceptions can really start to pile up with so many combinations available. Putting hard-to-combine effects in the same affix category has helped a lot with this, it makes em all mutually exclusive without needing any special rules.

In the case of the rewinding idea, it raises a lot of design questions on what exactly should happen. It could just be an "inverted" shot that starts at the end of the bullets' normal path and aims at the player, but that would be a bit of a boring interpretation of the idea of a rewinding bullet, that idea probably deserves better.

One way to see this would be that the gun actually becomes a hitscan weapon, and the bullet travelling backwards is more or less just a visual effect. When the bullet hits you, your ammo count goes up. And you only stop shooting when your ammo is maxed out, instead of when you are out of bullets. This is a bit of a visual feedback problem, since the on-screen bullet count doesnt show your maximum, but eeh, thats not a huge deal. But then does missing the bullet travelling back mean your ammo doesn't go up? Does it mean you have infinite ammo as long as you can avoid the bullets travelling back? Thats a little too good!

Or maybe the bullets never miss you: they dont just travel back in your direction, but actually seek you out. We already have something kind of like that already, but this would probably feel different enough.

Itd be a great effect if the shooting sound was also inverted, but that would probably be a huge headache, every gun type has dozens of alternate shoot sounds... unless theres a way to play sounds backwards in code or something...?
Or actually, gently caress that, im dumb, we can just make like 3-4 inverted shot sounds and use those no matter what the gun is, who the hell would see the difference? It would just override whichever gunshot sound was the weapon's normal one.

I like that idea a lot, i'll be pushin for it... Especially since I kinda wanted a "hitscan" affix anyway, but this is a much more interesting theme than just "of the hitscan" or whatever, yet on the gameplay end its essentially the same thing!

Making the shell casings also rewind back into your weapon would be great too, but that would take a lot more math than my little pixel artist brain can handle. Im sure Bisse could figure that out tho.......

FrankieSmileShow fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 11, 2015

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Reloading the reverse gun should spit out a spare gun.

Every X shots it spawns an enemy (reverse death anim) with HP equal to the damage of the bullets you've fired.

DeepQantas fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 11, 2015

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

A gun that swaps your position with whatever you hit.

Maybe your target then gets hit by the bullets of his friends?

Maybe it can be used to leapfrog across open spaces full of enemies?

What would it even be named...

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Itd be a great effect if the shooting sound was also inverted, but that would probably be a huge headache, every gun type has dozens of alternate shoot sounds... unless theres a way to play sounds backwards in code or something...?
Or actually, gently caress that, im dumb, we can just make like 3-4 inverted shot sounds and use those no matter what the gun is, who the hell would see the difference? It would just override whichever gunshot sound was the weapon's normal one.

You can (or should be able to) play existing samples in reverse, so no additional sounds needed.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Do guns have alt fire? I think something that would be fun/weird would be a gun that shoots out bullets that hang in midair, and then travel towards a laser pointer when you alt fire. Probably too complicated but that's my thought at least.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Philip Rivers posted:

Do guns have alt fire? I think something that would be fun/weird would be a gun that shoots out bullets that hang in midair, and then travel towards a laser pointer when you alt fire. Probably too complicated but that's my thought at least.

Just have that be the fifth element gun and bam no need for an alt fire. Just don't miss that first shot.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Apparently ToG is getting DDOS'd... again.

Which one of you rascals is it :argh:?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

i heard it was some jerk called gortarius

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
The game will only run in DOS?

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

A:\> CHARLES2.EXE_

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

A gun that shatters the enemy and shakes the screen

Call it chocolate thunder in honor of Darryl Dawkins

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Gortarius posted:

Apparently ToG is getting DDOS'd... again.

Which one of you rascals is it :argh:?

Sorry, my bad.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Probably sludge elves.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

If the game turns out good can I sue Gortarius for false advertising?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

kikkelivelho posted:

If it turns out good you'll still have spent a decade preparing for pure poo poo, so the resulting psychic whiplash will destroy your mind.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

kikkelivelho posted:

Bring it on...

...bitch

:colbert:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

DeepQantas posted:

A:\> CHARLES2.EXE_

Um I think you mean

CHARLE~1.EXE

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

FrankieSmileShow posted:

I also like the rewind one, but it might need some thought on how that would be implemented exactly! Could mix very weirdly with some of the other affixes and special gun's. Like with anything explosive, or that have weird bullet patterns, like the lobbing flare guns... could get pretty complicated. Making it a Prefix 1 would make it mutually exclusive to weird bullet pattern affixes though, so that would take care of that problem.
We'll think about it...
I think the "easiest" way of handling it would be the to reverse the logic of the bullet in the game loop. So for something complicated like a grenade launcher, the bullet probably follows the logic of fires > arcs > explodes > smoulders. It would become smoulders > explodes > arcs > fires, just on a frame by frame level. You would have to calculate where the shot would've ended up normally and work backwards.

FrankieSmileShow posted:

But then does missing the bullet travelling back mean your ammo doesn't go up? Does it mean you have infinite ammo as long as you can avoid the bullets travelling back? Thats a little too good!

Or maybe the bullets never miss you: they dont just travel back in your direction, but actually seek you out. We already have something kind of like that already, but this would probably feel different enough.
Yeah it doesn't make sense in time shenanigans if the bullet "misses you" because its implying the gun wasn't there earlier to make the shot before the rewind effect. I think the bullet would have to keep re-calculating its trajectory based on the player's position, to make sure it makes it's way "back" to the gun. With the idea being if you fired the bullet and then moved ,in rewind logic you fired the bullet while moving. If it was fired while moving it clearly gave it Wanted momentum and curved the shot. But even that can only account for so much. If the player runs around a corner or immediately 180s after firing a shot you would have to not give a gently caress and let the bullet clip through walls and the player for the bullet to get to the gun. It really all depends if you think the gimmick is worth the clunk.

All that said, I have no idea about displaying the reverse clip count.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
A gun with a fire rate that increases over time the longer you fire it but decreases the more you move the reticule.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Uh oh, looks like we shouldn't have pissed away all those backer dollars on hookers and blow: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/253471/State_court_orders_Kickstarted_game_creator_to_pay_54k_for_failing_to_deliver.php

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
$120,335 is gonna have to be returned to the backers
4,636 backers, 1k per backer burned, so 4,636,00
25k in legal and court fees
so that's $4,781,335 you gotta come up with fast

Plus you'll have to give back all those hookers too.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I don't know what is real anymore https://twitter.com/TalesOfGames/status/642003351207575552

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
thank u for giving us idiots the chance to pretend to be designers

attention deficit: gun gets stronger when it hits a new target

performance anxiety: gun gets less accurate when it hits nothing

punching up: gun does scaling damage based on player vs target hp total

nostalgia: gun stays in place when fired, goes back to player when reloaded

unrealistic gunplay: reloading causes you to roll

gambling: ammo replaced by pseudo random rng. the more you fire, the more likely you run out of ammo, but it's never guaranteed. reloading resets odds, always priced like reloading an empty gun.

mobile gaming: clip refills slowly with free ammo. reloads cost double.

im more an ideas man: randomly combines effects from other guns in your inventory. If there are no other guns, it does nothing.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I like some of kiwis ideas.

Pay to win: money bullets

Peashooter: shoots a can a peas

Boiler: scalding Mario sunshine hose

Pixelator: fires chunks of random art assets

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
perfect

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

He talked a pretty good game. I would have expected the impostor interview to be more like David Thorpe of Somethingisawful.com on G4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUHDDj7fhk

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Um I think you mean

CHARLE~1.EXE
I was gonna go for CHUCKIEB2.EXE but we all know the game won't have that much character.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bulletcoin mining rig gun: uses no ammo but slowly gains weight over time as the bulletcoin blockchain rises. Also has a chance of exploding, destroying the gun and damaging everyone within range.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

nostalgia: gun stays in place when fired, goes back to player when reloaded

This would be really cool with a shotgun

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Barkley 3 is gonna be Barkley 3D, right? There are a lot of nostalgic tributes to the golden days of pixel art in indie gaming, but not enough for the days of low poly counts.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Um I think you mean

CHARLE~1.EXE

CBSUAJG2.EXE
alternately BARKLEY2.EXE

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Your flagrant disregard for MSDOS 8.3 format is triggering me.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

CBSUAJG2.EXE
BARKLEY2.EXE

:confused:

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Oh. The underscore in .EXE_ was the text cursor, not part of the file name

And CHUCKIEB2.EXE was specifically a negative example. Everyone knows the only Chuck on MSDOS is YEAGER.EXE

DeepQantas fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 12, 2015

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

But CHARLES2 is only 8 characters and wouldn't become CHARLE~1? Same with BARKLEY2 and CBSUAJG2. I don't know why you're insisting otherwise

Khorne
May 1, 2002
A gun mod that lights neoshekels on fire so to speak. Just a boring damage boost mod but you lose money every time you fire and it shoots money instead of bullets maybe? I guess you could get creative and have it do something else but the idea is firing money okay.

Some mod where the bullets curve like half of an ellipsoid or a cos wave pattern with varying period/amplitude but the amount they curve is maybe random or influenced by some variable that's not very intuitive to the player. Like non-random and determined by exact coordinates on the map, or non-random and determined by number of steps % 15 or something. The latter is actually controllable by true barkley fans. It could be a golf themed mod, I don't know why but it just seems like a thing. I guess baseball or even basketball could work too. The perfect spin.

Some mod could make it so you fire a shot and it goes normally to a point, say 5-8 characters in front of you, then abruptly stops in mid-air unless you're moving then it flies like normal. When you stop moving it stops moving. Okay this is just dumb from a gameplay perspective but it would definitely make me laugh really hard pretty much every time it happens. Maybe it needs some kind of upside, so if you stop moving and go in a different direction the shot goes in the new direction too. Either the same one you do a mirrored one. I don't know if this deserves a full affix slot.

Some kind of mod based on not real physics where it fires a bunch of shots at once, like 5 maybe, but they are a big ball, kind of like particles, and it moves really slow and straaight. And you think it's going to be all cool because maybe there's a cool noise, but when it hits an enemy it's like firing a few shots normally and not particularly good. Unless the mod lands on a slow firing weapon to begin with. Then it's sweet as heck. Like imagine it on a rocket launcher or a sniper rifle or a slow firing shotgun. Some other possible mechanics: increases fire delay by a longer time than the number of bullets it fires. As long as you can switch to another gun after firing it'd probably be pretty good? I don't know how B2 works.

Maybe some kind of "claw" or "neck" mod that randomly adds a number of barrels to the gun that point off in awkward directions and most of the time just waste ammo. I guess if you get lucky they'll be facing good directions or be combined with some kind of ricochet mod/mechanic, but if you can shoot yourself that'd be dangerous too so this mod actually sounds cool with how it interacts with other mods, or even on its own, but maybe a little difficult to implement from an art direction.

Okay these following ideas are pretty dumb and probably not ever going to be in a game:

B.A.N.G.: Instead of firing a bullets a knife or sword pops out of the barrel when you fire. Then it retracts back in. Infinite ammo!!** No range!! Really bad and dumb!! **Ammo could be durability instead if you really want ammo.
Blowback: Gun has a chance to fly out of your hands, chance is pretty much 0 unless you fire for a while then it increases a little bit. Then it flies with sweet physics when it triggers.
Bees T.R.A.P.: Adds an alt fire where the gun barrel is blocked off while you hold the alt fire button, when you let go the bullets fired fly out, because we can use video game physics they can just bounce around in the barrel without losing any momentum.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

make a gun that can only be assembled after collecting Slam (the lock) Jam (the stock) and Thank You Ma'am (the barrel)