Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Mike-o posted:

HahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

TPSDude posted:

I don't want to think about the thousands of hours wasted on standing by for release, when the one loving thing you look forward to is hearing "release by platoon" during the duty day. The worst culprit being "no one is released until all the day's work is complete." especially when the hang up is on loving mechanics, connex fuckery, or BN staff on Friday releases. I remember being in formation for three hours in high 90 temps on Ft.Hood for a 40 minute award ceremony and a safety brief from the BN commander, several people got heat stroke. gently caress the worst CAV mentality that is set into officers there. The best poo poo was being a barracks rat and just loving off to play video games standing by for text for when formation rolled around.

Pretty much anything you deal with at Ft. Hood is really like dealing with the worst aspects of the DMV and the military rolled together. Just try going hot on a firing range if you're there to fire and no a tenant unit that already knows all the hidden Fort Hood bullshit hoops to jump through in advance. Everyone on the entire installation from the privates at the map warehouse to the 3-star thinks their job exists solely for its own sake and gently caress what it has to do with the rest of the Army.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

So uh, what's the atmosphere like in 2nd ID like at Lewis? I always hear a lot of stories about Hood but rarely anything about Lewis.

Have fun being an Infantry PL

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
It's gonna be pretty gay, especially now that it's all-garrison 2ID from here on out.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Mustang posted:

So uh, what's the atmosphere like in 2nd ID like at Lewis? I always hear a lot of stories about Hood but rarely anything about Lewis.

Ask your soldiers how many of them have tasted Afghan flesh. Or robbed a bank.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Up on the upside, you shouldn't have to deal with too much Korea-related bullshit now that 7ID is technically who you'll fall under.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Just accept your fate that you chose: you're hosed anywhere you go

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Peace time Army. Pack your own lube cause the big green weenie is going to raw dog your rear end in a top hat; only question is when, where and how many times.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Naked Bear posted:

Up on the upside, you shouldn't have to deal with too much Korea-related bullshit now that 7ID is technically who you'll fall under.

I've noticed that a lot of posts on my brigades facebook page will say something like "soldiers from the 7th ID" despite having 2nd ID in the pages name. At competitions they also represent 7th ID rather than 2nd ID. Kind of weird, may as well just have them be a part of 7th ID.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yeah 7th ID is one of the bigger names out here. Same with 593rd, I Corps, and DIVARTY.

It's still Army but it's gently caress if you're assigned to them.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
lmfao army unit facebook pages

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kiryen posted:

Pretty much anything you deal with at Ft. Hood is really like dealing with the worst aspects of the DMV and the military rolled together.

God this was so true even in the early to mid '80s.

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.

Obstacle2 posted:

I mean its this weird thing that no one really acknowledges. So you stay in 20 years. You get out at 38-40 years old with very few translatable skills. My first First Sergeant ended up being the one that collected my gear at CIF as a civilian. Whoopie, what a lot of good that did him.

Some are getting their retirement, VA disabilty and at least GS or WG-7 pay. I'd say he is probably doing fine even if he is a jerk.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

11b1p posted:

Some are getting their retirement, VA disabilty and at least GS or WG-7 pay. I'd say he is probably doing fine even if he is a jerk.

But at what cost?!

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

11b1p posted:

Yeah, but all those dudes I met like that were always broke as gently caress. it's usually the 7 ex wives, 32 possibly illigitimate children, and the crippling cost of enough military special to keep them from eating a bullet every time they look in the mirror.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Mike-o posted:

lmfao army unit facebook pages

Lol, and those are one of my "jobs' as PAO. It's more hilarious than you can imagine.

Chewbacca Defense
Sep 6, 2009

High speed, low drag.
My buddy was in charge of Bravo Battery's facebook page. He would get drunk and think of the most verbose captions to go along with each picture, like "1LT Chewie recives laudatory comments from the Battery Commander." He also dubbed the battery's FRG the "Bravo Babes" and would end their captions with "You go girls."

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Like three or four of my friends from Basic are getting out of the Army and now I see one of my OCS buddies getting out and I'm sitting here like, 'Approve my transfer so I can do cool CA poo poo while I am still in'.

Hilariously(Noble talk here) my Battalion is very under strength on Officers so my Commander who does not mind me leaving is getting calls from my BN Commander to try and retain me so he can re-slot me in one of the 12+ open slots in one of my sister TC Detachments(not counting staff). Uh yeah no, if I wanted to do that I would have asked already. But tomorrow is the Brigade dine in and he will be there and I will be there and I am going to spend the whole time avoiding him. Great. Newly promoted as well, he was my BN XO, before my previous surfer dude CDR left.

Also gently caress windows 10 for not letting me sign NCOERs or even get into my enterprise email without jumping through 20 hoops.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Did SRP today in record time, complete by lunch. Took two days of bull poo poo and completed it by lunch.

Got out at in great time too !!!

What's the catch? Oh we have to be at the armory at 0330 to conduct a makeup PT test.

The whole loving company arriving at 0330 for seven soldiers, with no task to do, to sit around tomorrow until SRP shuts down at 1700.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Why would you ever need to have a APFT at 0330, especially for a mere 7 soldiers. Where do orders like that come from? 80 dudes takes like maybe an hour and a half tops, easily done during normal PT time, maybe forming up 30 mins early.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

Triggs posted:

This is the most depressing thing I've read all day

lol, its true though so much of the army feels like this and its the army's fault for the most part too

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Mustang posted:

Why would you ever need to have a APFT at 0330, especially for a mere 7 soldiers. Where do orders like that come from? 80 dudes takes like maybe an hour and a half tops, easily done during normal PT time, maybe forming up 30 mins early.

And so it begins.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

We were all like this at one point, I imagine. :allears:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Mustang posted:

DO YOU SEE NOW SIR

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.

Mustang posted:

Depends like everything else what brigade, battalion, company you end up going to. Can obviously vary wildly from one to another. I'm in 3rd brigade on Lewis, so if you want to know anything specific you can send me a PM. I have yet to see any armor LTs in infantry companies here, so you'll likely end up in one of the cav squadrons.

Regardless, Lewis is probably neck and neck for best location stateside with Carson, in my opinion, so there's plenty to do and good places to live within 30 minutes or so. So, could be worse!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

thetechnoloser posted:

Lol, and those are one of my "jobs' as PAO. It's more hilarious than you can imagine.

As a fellow PAO, I've had to endure this bullshit duty with punishment if a question was unanswered for two hours save sleep time.

Edit ^^^

Lewis as a whole isn't bad. But an abusive relationship is still that in any place you call home. I like Wa, and love the fact that weed is legal here cause I'm all about self medication when I get out.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 11, 2015

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Teflon Don posted:

DO YOU SEE NOW SIR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giiuqTdBSTc

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Mustang posted:

Retardog posted:

The big green weenie is an ouroboros, loving its own butthole forever.

In other news, branch's answer to maybe not going to Korea then being stateside for 4 months before RCP was "dec or go gently caress yourself", more or less. Decisions, decisions.

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
Things I enjoyed about being in the Army:

*farts*

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If it wasn't for the free and wildly expedited citizenship, probably about week 6 of basic I would've said get me out of this chickenshit outfit.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Suntan Boy posted:

In other news, branch's answer to maybe not going to Korea then being stateside for 4 months before RCP was "dec or go gently caress yourself", more or less. Decisions, decisions.

My coworker was faced with the exact opposite of this. Stateside then Korea for 4 months then RCP. He finally somehow convinced them that it was retarded.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Obstacle2 posted:

Yeah I heard a lot of people talk about that was how it was.

I think we knew some of the same people, I came in to 2-1 right after the long rear end Iraq deployment the 172nd went on and was absconded to S3 along with the rest of the newest privates. Admittedly sitting in cages in a line company was still better than being in HQ.

drat homie, I was in S3 as well so we definitely knew the same people and probably stood in the same morning formation when I wasn't "clearing" or going to "appointments". :sissies:

I dipped out of there in mid-February 2007.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

RichieHimself posted:

I dipped out of there in mid-February 2007.

I might have still been in Bravo Company before you left, I can't really remember. I know I remember going to HHC before that CO left that loved to give lectures on finance. I was like part of the first batch of privates to get brought up to the S3 shop after everyone got back so if you remember that then I was there.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

As a fellow PAO, I've had to endure this bullshit duty with punishment if a question was unanswered for two hours save sleep time.

Whhhhhhat? That's retarded. I mean we'd usually answer quicker than that most times, but even on a page with 100k likes, the 'phone' wasn't exactly 'ringing off the hook' with anything that couldn't be answered with one of 4 or 5 canned responses I had saved.

NO, TOMB SENTINELS CAN DRINK, YES, THEY CAN CURSE, DON'T BELIEVE GRAM GRAM'S CHAIN EMAIL.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
hello,

if you are currently still serving in the united states army or have formerly served in the united states army than you deserve every ounce of terrible poo poo that it tossed your way because lol if you expected anything else when you enlisted

godbless

:patriot:

Fucitol fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 11, 2015

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
ur a butt

that is all

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
:agreed:

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
hair cut and beard gone, it's the friday before drill :smith:

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

hair cut and beard gone, it's the friday before drill :smith:

legit question, why do people stay in the guard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbacca Defense
Sep 6, 2009

High speed, low drag.
I had a legit nightmare this morning that I was back in the guard. IRR for life.

• Locked thread