Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's from the blog of one of the "post rationalists" who do a lot of empty pseudo-philosophizing verbiage because they've forgotten believing Wittgenstein and the logical positivists showed that all philosophy is empty word games does not actually make you immune to clearly empty word games.

Other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

I recognize what most of those things are supposed to represent, but no clue what it's trying to say in the way it's put together, or if there's any message at all. Dare I ask for a link to the source?

--

Also, Nostalgebraist's been to GBS.

Merdifex has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Sep 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Merdifex posted:

He's pretty much right.

Also this guy is not a neo-reactionary, he just criticizes them sometimes, so anyone who doesn't know, don't make that assumption.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Merdifex posted:

I recognize what most of those things are supposed to represent, but no clue what it's trying to say in the way it's put together, or if there's any message at all. Dare I ask for a link to the source?

--

From the comments:

quote:

What confuses me the most is their censorship of “bad words” for non-members, so you get “surprise sex” instead of… “rape.” Is it some biting social commentary I don’t understand, or just SA being assholes? (I’m leaning towards the latter.)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

He's pretty much right.

He pretty much is, yeah. We were getting better about it, but then GBS 2.0 came along.

Edit: Come to think of it, you could probably find examples of "insulting racists by calling them autistic" in this thread.

Silver2195 has a new favorite as of 01:24 on Sep 12, 2015

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Mike Annisimov has been invited to a futurist conference. There's already a group agitating to disinvite him, because he's been redpilled by Moldbug pretty hard.
This is going good places, mark my words.

IEET are some of the remaining non-libertarian transhumanists. This should be advanced cybernetic whole-popcorn emulations. James Hughes is the guy really pissed off with Thiel, MIRI and buddies co-opting the "transhumanist" name, he would only appear on a stage with Anissimov if he'd never read a word.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

IEET are some of the remaining non-libertarian transhumanists. This should be advanced cybernetic whole-popcorn emulations. James Hughes is the guy really pissed off with Thiel, MIRI and buddies co-opting the "transhumanist" name, he would only appear on a stage with Anissimov if he'd never read a word.

This really is gonna be good then.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Anyway it turns out the evil scourge of the Judeo-Bolsheviks Social Justice Warriors was our fault all along

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Anyway it turns out the evil scourge of the Judeo-Bolsheviks Social Justice Warriors was our fault all along

That guy makes it worth joining Tumblr. He's the MRA/Gamergate contribution to the LessWrongsphere. Not sure he's full DE yet.

Note that SA is both libertarian and SJW.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

divabot posted:

Note that SA is both libertarian and SJW.

SA has no coherent ideology other than "look at this poo poo, loving look at it".

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Heresiarch posted:

SA has no coherent ideology other than "look at this poo poo, loving look at it".

Pretty much.

LF feels like kind of the Frankfurt School of the internet, in that it's something that is gone now, and should probably be mainly of interest to a few people, but crypto-fascists will talk your loving ear off about it's malign influence.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Heresiarch posted:

So what you're saying is, we're a part of sneer culture? :v:

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Pretty much.

LF feels like kind of the Frankfurt School of the internet, in that it's something that is gone now, and should probably be mainly of interest to a few people, but crypto-fascists will talk your loving ear off about it's malign influence.

Some NRx are very much into a particular conspiracy theory which pins LF as the source of SJWs. But of course, in scope it only extends to places like twitter and tumblr.

This guy wrote a whole post about it for nydwracu here:

https://nydwracu.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/guest-post-pthag-on-the-history-of-sa-politics/

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Merdifex posted:

Some NRx are very much into a particular conspiracy theory which pins LF as the source of SJWs. But of course, in scope it only extends to places like twitter and tumblr.

This guy wrote a whole post about it for nydwracu here:

https://nydwracu.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/guest-post-pthag-on-the-history-of-sa-politics/

This suddenly became an interest of his because some ex-LF goons were mocking him on tumblr.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

This suddenly became an interest of his because some ex-LF goons were mocking him on tumblr.

Yes, he was cyber-bullied by MaggotMaster who himself was a LF reject. But all in all, this is about as credible a theory as the Frankfurt school one, which is only slightly better than that info-graphic Mike Anissimov made about the cathedral being created by Weimar Germany era Jewish intellectuals.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
CULTURAL MARXISM

I hate the term "SJW". Also, can people who're not some form of reactionary or fascist please stop using it unironically? It used to be a pretty good sign of somebody having awful opinions.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Cingulate posted:

CULTURAL MARXISM

I hate the term "SJW". Also, can people who're not some form of reactionary or fascist please stop using it unironically? It used to be a pretty good sign of somebody having awful opinions.

I prefer the term "Social Justice Wizard" myself.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is Milo appropriate for this thread, because lol https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/642687634876301312

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Curvature of Earth posted:

I know that's a Yud term but it's actually pretty accurate in this case. The thing that people like Yud fail to understand is that it's not some kind of political thing: SA is full of extremely broken people (myself included) and most of SA's mockery of whatever it can find is not really motivated by anything other than evading the crushing vacuity and helplessness of all our little makeshift lives.

I was actually there for most of the LF business (somebody once told me that I was in the running to be one of LF's first mods when it was essentially a Ron Paul FYAD-lite, but I have no idea if it's true or not) and it's amazing how much unwarranted importance people give it, both here and off the forums.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Merdifex posted:

Yes, he was cyber-bullied by MaggotMaster who himself was a LF reject.

Wasn't he the guy who ate a permaban for talking about assassinating the president? (And thereby causing Lowtax to get a visit from the Secret Service?)

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Scott Alexander posted:

When the far right complains about the media, academia, and bureaucracy being ranged against them, they get called conspiracy theorists. I myself somewhat hastily made this claim in section 3.2 of my Anti-Reactionary FAQ. More recently, Topher Hallquist makes a similar claim, classily adding that any communities that even dare to associate with people who believe this ought to suffer guilt by association.

http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/09/11/book-review-manufacturing-consent/

Interesting. I only skimmed through Scott's review of Chomsky et al.'s book, but that didn't inspire much confidence.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Merdifex posted:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/09/11/book-review-manufacturing-consent/

Interesting. I only skimmed through Scott's review of Chomsky et al.'s book, but that didn't inspire much confidence.

I thought the post was a pretty good one, actually.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Silver2195 posted:

I thought the post was a pretty good one, actually.

I thought it was fine until he tried to use the book to vindicate NRx thought.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
How dare Scott buy a book by the murderer of Aaron Swartz

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Glad to see that he was just barely downvoted, considering the number of votes that must have come in.

And what is this epistemology which posits multinationals to be weaker institutions than academia?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Less Wrong: Where you can post that a member of the community who committed suicide died because he was bluepilled and mindkilled, and also get his name wrong while saying this, and only get a few downvotes.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Someone in the comment section makes an excellent point about Moldbug's understanding of Chomsky:

msailer posted:

it's not clear to me that you've actually read anything by chomsky (if you have, feel free to correct me, but try to list books larger than pamphlet-size). the idea, for example, that chomsky would have any problem criticizing the state department baffles me.

Although there is an interesting attempt at a counterargument (not by Moldbug):

Alat posted:

@msailer

The point is that Chomsky`s critique is that the State Dept is insufficiently StateDeptian. He`s pushing them to the same destination they already want to go to.

The problem with Alat's argument is that Chomsky, and others with his general outlook, still would have predicted that the State Department would try to retaliate against Schwartz. So Moldbug is blaming the wrong person here.

Silver2195 has a new favorite as of 23:45 on Sep 12, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Silver2195 posted:

Someone in the comment section makes an excellent point about Moldbug's understanding on Chomsky:

Although there is an interesting attempt at a counterargument (not by Moldbug):

The problem with Alat's argument is that Chomsky, and others with his general outlook, still would have predicted that the State Department would try to retaliate against Schwartz. So Moldbug is blaming the wrong person here.

Really, you don't say, strange that someone as rigorous and brilliant as Moldbug would make a mistake

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Merdifex posted:

Glad to see that he was just barely downvoted, considering the number of votes that must have come in.

And what is this epistemology which posits multinationals to be weaker institutions than academia?
Multinational corporations are, at best, half as old as something resembling academic life (I'm thinking of things like the British East India Company here) and a quarter the age of the Roman Catholic Church, give or take. I think you could make an argument that both those institutions have survived more challenges and change than modern corporations, however powerful they are at this moment.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Heresiarch posted:

I know that's a Yud term but it's actually pretty accurate in this case. The thing that people like Yud fail to understand is that it's not some kind of political thing: SA is full of extremely broken people (myself included) and most of SA's mockery of whatever it can find is not really motivated by anything other than evading the crushing vacuity and helplessness of all our little makeshift lives.

The internet is a museum of broken people, weirdos, and horrible monsters. And the best part is that the exhibits volunteer themselves.

e:

quote:

SA is all about contempt.

Pretty much.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Merdifex posted:

I just tied my brain in a knot trying to work out the LW-esque logic here but I think it's like this (and if this sounds like crap please call me out on it):

* We (the LW folks) are highly intelligent and rational, and should obviously be in charge of things.
* The masses perceive academics as being highly intelligent and rational, even though we know they're not.
* Therefore academics are in charge of things instead of us.

I think I have hurt myself trying to emulate this line of thought.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I should probably stop checking in on this, but man this is going places

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

I almost forget when I read these dumb screeds by alt-right or neoreactionaries that they're discussing poo poo that happened on the internet. One SA insight that matters is that one about how the internet is not to be taken seriously.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
not sure if this article has been posted before but

:drat:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wow, it's everywhere. so basically they claim that without SA Tumblrites wouldn't have enough of a spine to act out and prove superiority?

Sometimes when I look back to the mock threads, you know before they all imploded, I often get the idea that to them SA is this elder hive mind. Think of it too long of what it does, all it's actions are contrarian to yours. They do this, and then you see them everywhere. You turn on former friends and allies until you ban the last ones, leaving only a small hardcore base and a dying site.

Then SA still laughs, before expressing a feeling they don't want to see, pity.

Then again I may just be taking this too seriously.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Curvature of Earth posted:

Heresiarch posted:

I know that's a Yud term but it's actually pretty accurate in this case.

It used to be called "Atrocity Tourism", but eventually we looked from tourist to atrocity, and atrocity to tourist; and already it was impossible to say which was which.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I just like the validation that Something Awful is still relevant in 2015. :unsmith:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I like that people think we're always up to something when in reality for the last few years we've just been blindly devouring each other and occasionally playing online games

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Believing that an obscure and short-lived political subforum can enact such sweeping cultural changes must actually be somewhat comforting to this person, because it gives him hope that his own obscure clique may one day achieve relevance.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Heresiarch posted:

Believing that an obscure and short-lived political subforum can enact such sweeping cultural changes must actually be somewhat comforting to this person, because it gives him hope that his own obscure clique may one day achieve relevance.

They absolutely have a "we're the silenced prophets" attitude about themselves. Whether or not they think they'll eventually become the vanguards of the (counter?) revolution or looked back as an "ahead of his time" genius varies from person to person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Merdifex posted:

Yes, he was cyber-bullied by MaggotMaster who himself was a LF reject. But all in all, this is about as credible a theory as the Frankfurt school one, which is only slightly better than that info-graphic Mike Anissimov made about the cathedral being created by Weimar Germany era Jewish intellectuals.

Correction! Anissimov didn't make that graphic. He found it on /pol/. In fact, what he posted was the second version, with the bit all about Jews removed and the colours changed to green on black.

Tetracube posted:

Is Milo appropriate for this thread, because lol https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/642687634876301312

Milo is not really DE, he's just a ghastly oval office.

wrap it up folks we’ve figured out who’s behind the skeleton warriors and it is
as always
ggGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOONSSSSSSSSSSSS