Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Segmentation Fault posted:

I thought I'd hate Chum at first but he really grew on me
I love his mumbly, half-fervor praying he does when the Opus gets absolutely wrecked and he saves it from the brink.

e: Also here's a video I made of a particularly cinematic convoy run, showed it to a friend who needed convincing why Mad Max owns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLhTVSKmk38

I wish you could go back and edit previous moments with the Max-camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Thirsty Dog posted:

I'm not going to throw him under a bus for his grilling of the conman.

He also tried to turn an convention Q+A into a soapbox criticizing the devs' female character designs with his first "question" in a complete rear end in a top hat way. And then whined on RPS with a whole article about them cutting the interview short.

Walker is an idiot.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Zsinjeh posted:

I love his mumbly, half-fervor praying he does when the Opus gets absolutely wrecked and he saves it from the brink.

e: Also here's a video I made of a particularly cinematic convoy run, showed it to a friend who needed convincing why Mad Max owns

Is that PS4 gameplay or PC with a DS4 hooked up?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
John Walker is an immature babyman with a delusion that he's the only real journalist in a corrupt system (to be fair gaming journalism sucks dick but he's not doing anything positive about it). He believes he's gaming's Jeremy Paxman, but in reality he's just an rear end in a top hat.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm surprised I'm apparently one of the few non-reviewer people that thinks this game isn't great, despite appreciating what it does right. I'm more on the 5-6 side, than 7-8.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Anti-Hero posted:

Is that PS4 gameplay or PC with a DS4 hooked up?
PC with Xbox controller (You might notice how I tense up at every close-call or ram and click the left button a bit too hard - shows the map legend)

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
First 3 hours of Mad Mad : Holy poo poo, holy poo poo, oh my god, this is awesome!
First 3 hours of MGS:V : When do I start having fun?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Zsinjeh posted:

Nice video. Those convoy assaults where a random patrol joins in are my favorite.

I really wish you could reset convoys you've already beaten. Or if the game just had a mode to make it like the movies, where you could have a large running battle with more than 5-7 enemies.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Segmentation Fault posted:

I thought I'd hate Chum at first but he really grew on me

This was my experience as well, and it made me feel like a loving monster on the silent drive after Stank Gum and in the final fight.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

TerminalSaint posted:

This was my experience as well, and it made me feel like a loving monster on the silent drive after Stank Gum and in the final fight.

He did pretty directly gently caress Max over and get Hope and Glory killed because he turned out to be more in love with the car than Max was.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

kazmeyer posted:

He did pretty directly gently caress Max over and get Hope and Glory killed because he turned out to be more in love with the car than Max was.

well to be fair, they did strongly hint that constantly.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

midge posted:

First 3 hours of MGS:V : When do I start having fun?

I watched a few streams and it seemed to be a lot of staring at some dude's rear end in a top hat.

So, in summary: Assholes you have to stare at:
Mad Max: 0
MGSV: Atleast 1

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

TerminalSaint posted:

At the end when you ram the Opus into Scrotus' chariot and he yells "Praise be!" in the most sad, desperate way I felt awful. Poor guy. Poor car :smith:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

I watched a few streams and it seemed to be a lot of staring at some dude's rear end in a top hat.

So, in summary: Assholes you have to stare at:
Mad Max: 0
MGSV: Atleast 1

what about the moments when the camera does a close up of scrotus or stank gum

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Regarding Griffa - is there any reason to use Griffa tokens to upgrade Max's legend level? Or does it come naturally, albeit more slowly?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Legend level is the first thing you should be dumping points into. It governs a lot of unlocks for upgrades. You can get it from completing challenges but dumping tokens into it never hurt anyone, especially when many of the other upgrades are so lackluster.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Regarding Griffa - is there any reason to use Griffa tokens to upgrade Max's legend level? Or does it come naturally, albeit more slowly?

Legend level is used for unlocking upgrades for Max (new jackets, knuckledusters, etc.). You get legend levels through completing challenges (which are unlocked through normal gameplay but you can track them in the legend tab on the pause menu) or unlocking ranks in Judgement. Ranks in Judgement help but only a little bit; you get one level per rank of Judgement and there's ten levels of each Rank before you get to the next title.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Zsinjeh posted:

PC with Xbox controller (You might notice how I tense up at every close-call or ram and click the left button a bit too hard - shows the map legend)

Oh durr I need to have my eyes checked. B/Circle look similar hen you are apparently blind like me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Rinkles posted:

I'm surprised I'm apparently one of the few non-reviewer people that thinks this game isn't great, despite appreciating what it does right. I'm more on the 5-6 side, than 7-8.

I hate to break the news to you, but you may be a game reviewer and not even know it. :aaaaa:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Mokinokaro posted:

He also tried to turn an convention Q+A into a soapbox criticizing the devs' female character designs with his first "question" in a complete rear end in a top hat way. And then whined on RPS with a whole article about them cutting the interview short.

Walker is an idiot.

link?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

King Vidiot posted:

I hate to break the news to you, but you may be a game reviewer and not even know it. :aaaaa:

Cool, point stands.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

I apologize. I was actually misremembering. It was Grayson when Walker was off on leave.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/22/blizzard-on-heroes-of-the-storm-female-designs-in-mobas/

And the whine
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/22/re-that-heroes-of-the-storm-interview/

While I don't disagree with his point, he (and most of RPS' writing team) seem to go about things in the most arrogant and entitled manner.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 11, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Wait, there's a update for this game that's just validating files?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Mokinokaro posted:

I apologize. I was actually misremembering. It was Grayson when Walker was off on leave.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/22/blizzard-on-heroes-of-the-storm-female-designs-in-mobas/

And the whine
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/22/re-that-heroes-of-the-storm-interview/

While I don't disagree with his point, he (and most of RPS' writing team) seem to go about things in the most arrogant and entitled manner.

Yeeeeah, I'm going to go with this poo poo is stupid. On the scale of shits to give pixel butts in video games wouldn't even register when it comes to issues concerning women or people in general. Getting upset over video game asses, abs, boobs, pecs or whatever is a colossally stupid issue to be upset about.

The fact that it is somehow an issue that is coming up for this game is even more retarded.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 11, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rinkles posted:

I'd say it's a solid 7 in my book, personally. Well worth $25-30 and very much the sort of game I drop into for 30-45 minutes at a time. I don't play very many of these "ubisoft" style open world games, though. In fact, the last one I played was Far Cry 3 and I'd consider this a lot better than that.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
SCREEEEEEEEENS

Bonus Dance-off

VVVV check the last 2-3 pages someone mentioned it was still super cheap but I can't remember what site it was onh.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 11, 2015

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I see on the 1st page that people are getting this game for ~$20-$30, are those offers still going anywhere?

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

So I didn't realize that I got The Ripper DLC even though I didn't actually pre-order until a few days ago, it's neat but not that different from Wild Hunt or Shovelface. Noticed that I had some weird DLC that I didn't have before though when I logged into Steam today.

What is ThirstCutter?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Olewithmilk posted:

I see on the 1st page that people are getting this game for ~$20-$30, are those offers still going anywhere?

Assuming you have a Paypal account you can get it at Nuuvem for $25 USD. That's where I got mine and I had zero problems getting my key and activating it, they're totally legit.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dvsilverwing posted:

So I didn't realize that I got The Ripper DLC even though I didn't actually pre-order until a few days ago, it's neat but not that different from Wild Hunt or Shovelface. Noticed that I had some weird DLC that I didn't have before though when I logged into Steam today.

What is ThirstCutter?
The Rockstar Energy Drink car, apparently.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

MMAgCh posted:

The Rockstar Energy Drink car, apparently.

Well then I got that for free without doing anything, I guess, unless my pre-order code gave me the Rockstar one for free too.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Dvsilverwing posted:

Well then I got that for free without doing anything, I guess, unless my pre-order code gave me the Rockstar one for free too.

It's a promotional thing. Everyone should get it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

This one is practically desktop-worthy :3:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Looks like a problem with your video card. Sometimes changing the resolution works. Sometimes have other refresh rates available like 59hz that can also help to go around such issues.

It's 24Hz, 50Hz and 60Hz for me. It reverts no matter what.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It keeps locking itself to 50Hz for me. Though, I wonder if changing the ini file and then setting it to read only would do the trick?

Do you enter the actual Hz or is it divided in levels like 0, 1, 2, 3, and so on? It reverts to 0. Gonna try read-only and report back.

Tony Montana posted:

I have a ASUS STRIX 980GTX.

Mine's a HD7850, so it can't be limited to one brand.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

girth brooks part 2 posted:

It's a promotional thing. Everyone should get it.

Wait, doesn't that car also bring tone deaf as poo poo real adverts for said energy drink?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

Wait, doesn't that car also bring tone deaf as poo poo real adverts for said energy drink?

I just mean it's free to everyone not that it's a must. I think those ad type thinds are just there since I didn't download it and still get them.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Finished the ending.

Depressing as hell, but it was really well done. I felt so sad for Max, for Chumbucket, for Hope and Glory. Max gets his revenge, but nothing changes. He's back to his old car, having lost even more, searching for a place that doesn't exist.

The final fight was incredible, though. Everything from entering Gastown onward was fantastic. I think it was said best that while this game didn't do anything particularly new, what it did do was flawlessly executed, and the atmosphere and story were loving nailed. Just as Mad Max: Fury Road is 2015's defining movie, Mad Max is 2015's defining game.

...well, there's Fallout 4 to come still, and apparently The Witcher 3 is drat good too. But Mad Max was loving spectacular. :perfect:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to cry.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
In order to add the thirst cutter to your collection you have to run the specially marked death race way down south in gutgash' territory. Be warned though, it handles like poo poo and hitting the barrels in barrel bash might send it weering off in a random direction.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Is that all that the Thirstcutter DLC adds? A terrible buggy that's a rolling advertisement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Ledenko posted:

I can sort of understand it - I don't think this is an overly enjoyable game if you're not a fan of the setting. It seems to be a car game mostly to drive you from one point where you do fisticuffs to another where you do the same without much variation. Boss fights are all pretty much the same. There are hundreds of locations with tiny amounts of scrap and are not particularly interesting. There aren't that many quests with meaningful interaction, seems like there's only extra padding (gotta upgrade your car to do something which means tasks like clearing an area) to make it longer.
There's probably other stuff - but I've had an amazing time with the game, put like 30 hours into it the first two days of getting it. I'm having some trouble explaining what made it so much fun, the answer is probably the atmosphere because some of the gameplay elements lack that something extra to make it really shine.

This is it though, this isn't a great game under the hood, the only standout bit is the car combat and that's undercut by the fact of how repetitive and easy it is - you need to actively avoid just ending fights instantly with your crazy op tools. The rest is.. OK? Combat is OK, etc.

The game excels in its theme and it's presentation though, you might be doing a small set of things and theres no real depth or skill involved but it's going to make them look and feel great, it's got flair to it.

On the other hand, outside of chum the character stuff is flat and dull, the story is bleh.

Back to positives though, the wasteland is great with cool places to see and some nice environmental storytelling.

But... yeah, depending on where your interests lie I can totally see people not liking this game. Most of the reviews seem pretty fair to me.

SplitSoul posted:

It's 24Hz, 50Hz and 60Hz for me. It reverts no matter what.

Do you enter the actual Hz or is it divided in levels like 0, 1, 2, 3, and so on? It reverts to 0. Gonna try read-only and report back.

Mine's a HD7850, so it can't be limited to one brand.

I get this, but according to my fps counter in game, it's a lie

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 12, 2015

• Locked thread