Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

AWSEFT posted:

You should try JetBlue. I can't tell you how happy I am when I'm booked a ticket on JetBlue vs anyone else

JetBlue doesn't overbook flights period. As a non-revver, I'm very happy to have given up Delta benefits for jetblue benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

two_beer_bishes posted:

JetBlue doesn't overbook flights period.

This must be hell for irregular ops.

edit: My favorite airport announcement has to be a Delta gate agent saying over the PA "Thanks to my counterpart over at United, this flight is now 2 seats oversold"

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 11, 2015

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I always lived with buddies in flight school and we'd play coop games a lot so whoever wasn't playing would ask the guys who were. Just get something to occupy your mind. Juggling, bouncing a ball. The smartest guy I knew had his wife ask him questions while he played guitar hero.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

PT6A posted:

I think every airline overbooks seats all the time. That's not really something that you can criticize one airline for above another.

I CAN AND I WILL.

Southwest master race.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

PT6A posted:

I think every airline overbooks seats all the time. That's not really something that you can criticize one airline for above another.

Yes, they all (or at least almost all) overbook. None would be able to make money otherwise. But some do so more aggressively than others.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
JetBlue and Southwest are useless to me as a lot of my travel is in EMEA and Australasia.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Captain Apollo posted:

I CAN AND I WILL.

Southwest master race.

I can't count how many times I've been on an overbooked Southwest flight

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Why worry about how much your airline of choice overbooks? There are always people who will volunteer to get bumped off the flight. I volunteer whenever my travel plans allow for it but they rarely actually need to do that.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
welp I failed my CFI initial yesterday, have two weeks until my retest :saddowns:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

CFI initial gets so many people. You'll do fine next time, just take something away from this learning experience!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Honestly man it gets so many people and it's so not a big deal. NOBODY will ever ask if you failed your CFI checkride. It's assumed that everybody failed their ride the very first time

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
There is a guy from my airport that's been an A&P and a multi commercial pilot for all of his life practically. Started flying when he was five and his dad is an FAA operations inspector and has worked a lot with the feds.

He walked into the checkride and 5 hours yet he had failed miserably. Sometimes, the Feds really just want to fail people.

I EASILY could have failed on 8 different items if my FSDO had guy had been a jerk.

Just - take this as an opportunity on what you'll say to your future students.

"It's just a test, we all have bad days, this is an opportunity for you to double your knowledge and expertise and blow their socks off next time."

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
There are a multitude of reasons I failed the portion I did, but I know what they all are and can fix all of them.

The good news is that it was the flying half and all of the oral is behind me. He also complemented me on how well I did on the oral with a minimal amount of looking things up.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

e.pilot posted:

There are a multitude of reasons I failed the portion I did, but I know what they all are and can fix all of them.

The good news is that it was the flying half and all of the oral is behind me. He also complemented me on how well I did on the oral with a minimal amount of looking things up.

Care to go into it for those who may be in your shoes in a couple months?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Like other people have said, think of a failed CFI ride as a learning experience, since those have almost no impact on a future flying career.

I failed my CFI on the first attempt (passed the oral, then proceeded to screw up pylon 8's on the flight), and had no trouble getting offered several jobs (including my current airline gig) later in my career.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

e.pilot posted:

welp I failed my CFI initial yesterday, have two weeks until my retest :saddowns:

NBD. I got my CFI when you could still do them with DE's, so it was super-easy. These days, very few people get by their first time and it probably boils down to how recently the Fed got a decent hummer. Look at this as an opportunity for a humble, I-learned-from-this experience you can relate at airline interviews for the rest of your life. Seriously.

Just don't flunk the second one.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Pleased to announce Senate Bill 571 now has 61 co-sponsors. This is the Pilots Bill of Rights 2 senate bill.

Now that we have more than 60 co-sponsors, the bill should come up for a vote.

I say SHOULD because it seems that we're going to run out of floor time to have this issue come to a vote. We shall see.

Edit: Also, this makes it a lot easier to get this Bill attached to an FAA re-authorzation funding bill in about 6 months or so.

(gently caress ALPA for going against medical reform)

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/571/cosponsors

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 19, 2015

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
"“(D) to establish a rating system to prioritize each NOTAM by the urgency and importance of the NOTAM; and"

oh god please yes

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

"“(D) to establish a rating system to prioritize each NOTAM by the urgency and importance of the NOTAM; and"

oh god please yes

I had an FAA inspector in the jumpseat who said they have been talking about this. Incidentally, this inspector was supposedly the chief of all regional airline inspectors in a certain area, and he was cool. He just sat there, didn't interrupt our job, and had friendly chit-chat. By the end he said we did a good job and didn't criticize anything at all. It would seem that its the ones lower on the chain of command that you gotta keep an eye out for.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Animal posted:

I had an FAA inspector in the jumpseat who said they have been talking about this. Incidentally, this inspector was supposedly the chief of all regional airline inspectors in a certain area, and he was cool. He just sat there, didn't interrupt our job, and had friendly chit-chat. By the end he said we did a good job and didn't criticize anything at all. It would seem that its the ones lower on the chain of command that you gotta keep an eye out for.

Makes sense. The lower-down ones have to prove to someone that they're actually doing something.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Slaughter posted:

oh god please yes

A good idea? From the government? :psyduck:

Regarding aviation? :psyboom:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There should be language to keep the FAA from pulling the old "You are responsible for being aware of all TFRs. No, nothing we publish digitally is a valid source for all TFRs."

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

CBJSprague24 posted:

A good idea? From the government? :psyduck:

Regarding aviation? :psyboom:

Largely because someone in the government got busted for being a moron and landing on a closed and occupied runway. They quickly developed a personal interest in defining rights that would protect them from taking responsibility for their actions.

That said, it's still great for honest aviators.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 19, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Ferret King posted:

Largely because someone in the government got busted for being a moron and landing on a closed and occupied runway. They quickly developed a personal interest in defining rights that would protect them from taking responsibility for their actions.

Yeah, I remember seeing that discussed here and I'd forgotten it was a member of Congress. Must be nice to be able to have the power to deflect your screwup.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

The Ferret King posted:

You're in government too, Fed.

You post the SAME thing every time about Inhoffe.

It's like somebody prefacing America's moon landing with the Apollo 1 fire.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Captain Apollo posted:

You're in government too, Fed.

And you can't resist responding to me every time I do. World keeps on spinnin'.

And yes I am in the government. However, I have not landed on a runway occupied by personnel and equipment, so I don't see what you're point is (but I've also known you long enough to know that you don't have one).

I suppose if America's first moon landing (which was recorded in a studio in Nevada anyway, so why are we talking about this?) were a petulant child trying to claim, to the media and NASA, that it did nothing wrong even though it landed in the middle of an extra terrestrial neighborhood, the comparison would work. But it didn't do that, and isn't claiming that, so I don't see the connection.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Yeah, I remember seeing that discussed here and I'd forgotten it was a member of Congress. Must be nice to be able to have the power to deflect your screwup.

The ATC person that wrote up his pilot deviation paperwork was my classroom instructor when I arrived at Corpus Christi Tower/Approach 4 years ago. Media reports say that Inhofe performed some remedial training as penance for his error, but I think less connected pilots would have faced a suspension for doing the same thing.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 20, 2015

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

I just don't understand why everybody below the age of 40 doesn't seem to care about this stuff.

This forum especially would rather poison the well on this topic than support it. The problem with government is that everybody is an rear end in a top hat, but you'd rather have an rear end in a top hat you know.

I bet if the runway incident had happened after he had passed the PBOR his answers might have been different.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Captain Apollo posted:

I just don't understand why everybody below the age of 40 doesn't seem to care about this stuff.

I know you're active in the aviation community, so you already know that people under the age of 40 aren't into general aviation in the first place because it's a rich old white man's sport.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Apollo posted:

People flying a ton of general aviation under the age of 40 either had their startup bought out, have a trust fund or are going into massive debt in the hopes of getting a job at an airline.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

People flying a ton of general aviation under the age of 40 either had their startup bought out, have a trust fund or are going into massive debt in the hopes of getting a job at an airline.

sign me up for more debt please

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

:agreed:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Wait did I just stumble in to the sailing thread :confused:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
But that doesn't give you any excuse to bash the efforts of those forward thinkers.

This topic had been around since the 80s. Which means the people voting now for this first heard about it in their 30s. I bet they wished they'd put in a little more effort along the way.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I just bash Inhofe because I know it sticks in your craw, you big baby. I even said I liked the legislation in the same post and I'll still never tire of reminding people that Inhofe nearly ran his airplane into humans on the ground.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
ATC question: If you've got a plane at 13,000 approaching an extended downwind and you give him 3000 and see him just absolutely diving for it, trying to get down, does that make you think "oh, this guy wants in, i'll vector him right to the FAF..." versus a guy just slowly puttering down and maybe taking him out farther past the FAF? Assuming zero or very little traffic.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
For a conventional instrument approach, we'll only vector to the FAF on pilot request. Otherwise it's at least 2 miles outside the FAF in good weather, or at least 3 miles outside the fix in bad weather. RNAV approaches must always be at least 3 miles outside the FAF regardless.

We would hopefully notice the descent rate and take that into account for sequencing. It wouldn't automatically change the way we were planning to vector you to the final, except that if you were obviously way too high to make the approach we shouldn't be turning you to the base leg yet.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I went to the Andrews airshow yesterday, my first airshow. It was so cool, the F-22 put on an awesome display. The F-35 was on display - they probably rolled it in on a truck. Really disappointed that I didn't hear Danger Zone not even once though :colbert:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Captain Apollo posted:

The bad decisions, plural, Inhoffe made remain the same, and PBR and the proposed PBR2 isn't a moon landing. I could almost accept not pulling NOTAMs; its being a bad pilot but I'm sure he's not alone in that. But when he got surprised by a runway closure he put himself and others at risk by still landing there rather than divert, and then blew off his recklessness in public comments.

I'm a fan of PBR and PBR2; hell, I'm effectively grounded currently until I can either convince my insurance company to pay for a test the FAA wants or the third class medical goes away (or I find a LSA for rent nearby). But it doesn't absolve Inhoffe and I've not heard of any contrition on his part for his mistake.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Is getting a medical in the US particularly expensive? Is that where the massive opposition comes from? Up here, it's literally insignificant compared to the cost of any other part of flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

PT6A posted:

Is getting a medical in the US particularly expensive? Is that where the massive opposition comes from? Up here, it's literally insignificant compared to the cost of any other part of flying.

Mine last month was $165. I was just deferred because of sleep apnea (which has been cured; AME was also the surgeon who handled it) and because of a short-term anxiety/depression event. They approved me after a couple weeks, but I'm sure there are people out there who have had bigger problems than I had who could be disqualified in spite of being medically fine in reality.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 20, 2015

• Locked thread