Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BloodBag posted:

I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee commercial on Hulu yesterday and they were crowing about it being 'the most luxurious SUV in it's segment' WTF does that mean? Aren't Range Rovers in it's segment? I should think a Range Rover shits all over a Jeep when luxury or offroading is concerned.

As someone who owns both a GC and a BMW, there is nothing luxurious about a Grand Cherokee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

BloodBag posted:

I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee commercial on Hulu yesterday and they were crowing about it being 'the most luxurious SUV in it's segment' WTF does that mean? Aren't Range Rovers in it's segment? I should think a Range Rover shits all over a Jeep when luxury or offroading is concerned.

The theory is that their segment is Affordable (under $40k) Midsize SUVs:
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Midsize-SUVs/

Brands like: Honda, Nissa, Toyota, Hyundai, Ford, Dodge

The next step up is Luxury Midsize SUVs:
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Luxury-Midsize-SUVs/

Brands like: Porsche, Lexus, Range Rover, BMW, Acura, Cadillac, Infiniti, Lincoln, MB

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Steven Lang thinks Cadillac should just drop the pretense of competing against ze Germans and just make the most blinged-out pickup truck on the planet, Escalade style: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/31/why-cadillac-needs-real-truck-opinion/

Personally, I think the Tesla Model S (and upcoming Model X) is the car Cadillac should had built. Slick, sexy styling, unique and highly-advanced drivetrain, ridiculously powerful and priced where only those of considerable means can afford one. Caddy can't beat ze Germans at their own leasing game, nor can it afford to start charging Buick prices and lose whatever prestige it has left. What the marque really needs is to forget about beating ze Germans at their own game and focus on building an all-American segment buster for the wealthy American, Chinese and Middle-Eastern elite.

I had an idea where Cadillac would just emulate Land Rover's Range Rover lineup:

Escalade/Escalade ESV = Range Rover
Escalade Sport = Range Rover Sport
Escalade Imaj = Range Rover Evoq

Afterwards, Caddy can add a four-door Elmiraj flagship that's the equivalent of the Rolls-Royce Phantom. Make it a V12 with an electric-hybrid option for the wealthy eco-friendly types.

Kill the XTS, CTS and ATS. Those should be Buicks.

I think there's an idea from the point of view of internet car company CEOs that cars which don't fit a brand image should be "killed", just to make the model lineup look neater. I don't think this is realistic, or even desirable. If everything is a shared platform and shared parts, then a sale is a sale, and having more brands with more products isn't really a bad thing.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Maybe Jeep shouldn't try to make super luxurious poo poo and make more offroaders :bahgawd:

Are the new GC's that good off road anyhow?

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

BloodBag posted:

Every possible option on a GC summit in the US brings it to 60k msrp. A Range Rover is 85k to start, the RR Sport is 65k which is the same as the SRT. The LR2/Disco Sport look more like direct GC competition, but I can't really comment on their interior/what have you. I guess not really...

REDjackeT fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 11, 2015

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Throatwarbler posted:

I think there's an idea from the point of view of internet car company CEOs that cars which don't fit a brand image should be "killed", just to make the model lineup look neater. I don't think this is realistic, or even desirable. If everything is a shared platform and shared parts, then a sale is a sale, and having more brands with more products isn't really a bad thing.

Which is why I'm not a car company CEO. Because I'm looking at things from the emotional perspective of a keyboard-bound fan of the brand.

However, the whole "a sale is a sale" deal means little if it comes at the expense of the brand's cache, especially if you're selling what's supposed to be a luxury brand. The XTS offers easy profits and platform amortization, but at the expense of the company's image. The CTS and ATS are earners, but not in the way that the Escalade or even the SRX earns its keep.

I'm not a fan of killing off models just for the sake of killing them off, but Cadillac needs product that fits the image they want to put out there. Chasing the Germans for the leasing crown isn't going to cut it - and that's largely why the CTS/CT5 and ATS exist. What Caddy really needs right now are Encore and Enclave-sized CUVs with bold, brash styling if they want to keep their image and relevancy going.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Its be cheaper and more profitable to drop everything non-Escapade and fully embrace the concept that people with more debt than sense loving love it and no one gives a gently caress about their other vehicles

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Steven Lang thinks Cadillac should just drop the pretense of competing against ze Germans and just make the most blinged-out pickup truck on the planet, Escalade style: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/31/why-cadillac-needs-real-truck-opinion/

Personally, I think the Tesla Model S (and upcoming Model X) is the car Cadillac should had built. Slick, sexy styling, unique and highly-advanced drivetrain, ridiculously powerful and priced where only those of considerable means can afford one. Caddy can't beat ze Germans at their own leasing game, nor can it afford to start charging Buick prices and lose whatever prestige it has left. What the marque really needs is to forget about beating ze Germans at their own game and focus on building an all-American segment buster for the wealthy American, Chinese and Middle-Eastern elite.

I had an idea where Cadillac would just emulate Land Rover's Range Rover lineup:

Escalade/Escalade ESV = Range Rover
Escalade Sport = Range Rover Sport
Escalade Imaj = Range Rover Evoq

Afterwards, Caddy can add a four-door Elmiraj flagship that's the equivalent of the Rolls-Royce Phantom. Make it a V12 with an electric-hybrid option for the wealthy eco-friendly types.

Kill the XTS, CTS and ATS. Those should be Buicks.

it was literally not possible for Cadillac to build the Model S for a litany of reasons

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Supposedly Forza 6 has the GT's specs at 630hp/539tq and 2890 lbs.

Wonder if that's accurate. Has a car's specs ever been leaked via video game before? :laffo:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I still don't get the point of GMC...slightly upscale versions of their normal trucks and SUVs?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it was literally not possible for Cadillac to build the Model S for a litany of reasons

See also: the ELR

Also Tesla isn't even a profitable car company so why should Cadillac copy them.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

El Scotch posted:

Supposedly Forza 6 has the GT's specs at 630hp/539tq and 2890 lbs.

Wonder if that's accurate. Has a car's specs ever been leaked via video game before? :laffo:

I feel like they put the Corvette C7 prototype in Gran Turismo 5 before the official January announcement that year and had tentative hp/torque numbers that ended up being accurate? It was neat because they put the car in the game with the camouflage coverings on it too.

Edit: vv not really GT-R based per say, but the GT-R was on the cover of Gran Turismo 5: Prologue. That came out in Japan December of 2007 but I don't recall if it spoiled any info about the car.

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 11, 2015

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Didn't the new skyline get a gran turismo based demo when it came to the U.S.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

BraveUlysses posted:

I still don't get the point of GMC...slightly upscale versions of their normal trucks and SUVs?

Focus specifically on trucks/SUVs as well as commercial and heavier-duty trucks. There are minor differences between the products, for example you can get a 2015 Sierra 1500 with LED running lamps while the 2015 Silverado 1500 doesn't have them in order to save on costs. But mechanically they are identical for the most part.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dislike button posted:

Focus specifically on trucks/SUVs as well as commercial and heavier-duty trucks. There are minor differences between the products, for example you can get a 2015 Sierra 1500 with LED running lamps while the 2015 Silverado 1500 doesn't have them in order to save on costs. But mechanically they are identical for the most part.

I think their dealer network is slightly nicer?

Also it costs them almost nothing to keep the brand alive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

$14,000 in revenue on $2,600 incremental cost.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
New Civic spied completely uncovered.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I don't like it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It has the weird chrome bar from the early 8th gen civic except it's moved to the front, and the rear end of a Crosstour.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Looks like a Nissan.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

PCOS Bill posted:

I don't like it.

Really? I easily think its the best looking Civic in a while.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Looks really large for a Civic. Like I know newer cars aren't small but that thing looks like it has the wheelbase of an Accord.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
God drat, new car designs are getting worse and worse.

:corsair:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It has a lot of elements that look weird to me - front headlight looks like the 200, the bar and Crosstour rear end, the profile is kind of weirdly Mazda6/Nissan Maxima - it just looks kind of like an underwhelming mishmash. I thought the 8th gen and to a lesser extent the 9th gen looked pretty cohesive, at least.

Edit: I think it looks really long because the overhangs look pretty short - but it's almost certainly a few inches longer than the previous Civic, so it's just a bit bigger than the 4th gen Accord. The current Accord is like 191"

edit2: fixed a number

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 11, 2015

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

God drat, new car designs are getting worse and worse.

:corsair:

Only in regards to the continued lack of fins.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

BraveUlysses posted:

It gives Buick and Cadillac dealers the ability to sell vehicles Americans actually want to buy without having to carry the entire Chevy lineup.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Terrible Robot posted:

Looks really large for a Civic. Like I know newer cars aren't small but that thing looks like it has the wheelbase of an Accord.

It looks loving huge.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It was boring, but I really liked the 7th gen Civic in Si-hatch and coupe flavors. They should just make those again with newer drivetrains and nicer head units.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Holy poo poo, that civic looks like a goddamn boat.The objectively correct opinion is that the 7th gen civic and 6th gen accord, along with the s2000 were the last good looking Hondas. :colbert:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

oRenj9 posted:

In Seattle, everybody's doing 5 under the (already ridiculously low) speed limit.

If I had to live there, I'd drive a Prius, it's not like you can ever go over 60 MPH anyway.

Well, the new one is apparently going to offer stop-and-go adaptive cruise control - a very helpful feature for highways with traffic problems.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

Looks like the Escalade V is finally going to be coming.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1509_cadillac_escalade_v_on_the_way_with_ctsv_power.html

Best-in-segment* acceleration and handling no doubt.

*Live Axle luxury SUVs with column shifters over $100,000 MSRP SOld in the US market.

Yes please. Then make a new avalanche with it so I can steal the parts for my lovely truck.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

That new Civic looks great, they've taken the styling elements that work on other small cars and integrated them all well, while staying true to Honda's new design language they kicked off with the new Accord. With the longer hood and short overhangs it gives the appearance of length in a car that'll be about the same size as the current gen. Using proportions to visually lengthen a car like the new Mazdas, and now Civic with it's rear third in addition to the longer hood, is a clever means of imparting a feeling of greater size and class while retaining a nice manageable wheelbase.

I'll have to see it in person but from those pics it looks like the nicest compact car after the Mazda3.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't want a car that feels huge.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

It almost certainly won't feel like a big barge when you're inside, and the A pillars look nice and thin.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Reminds me of the new Maxima, which is a bad thing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
You know that Acura beak that everyone loved? We should put that on the civic. Except make it stretch the whole front of the car.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Looks so lovely I'd rather be in the e series behind it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

angryhampster posted:

Reminds me of the new Maxima, which is a bad thing.

Um

No

They're doing the four door coupe roofline, in compact form. Also extending the front axle like Mazda.

It's only three shots with no good front end view but the chrome bar doesn't look anywhere near as bad as the gigantic beaks on Acuras.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wheeee posted:

Also extending the front axle like Mazda.

Also hideous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Wheeee posted:

It's only three shots with no good front end view but the chrome bar doesn't look anywhere near as bad as the gigantic beaks on Acuras.

PCOS Bill posted:

Also hideous