Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
1 year old and she wakes at about 8 am and then naps about 10:30 to noon. Then again about 5 to 6:30 then sleep around 9:30 or ten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Three boys, ages 7, 4 and 1.5.

On schoolnights they're generally in bed between 20:00 and 21:00 (trying to push towards the earlier end of that interval), though it often takes a while before they're all asleep (an hour is not unusual). Eldest has to get up at 7 on schooldays; he sometimes wakes up by himself shortly before 7 but usually has to be dragged out of bed. On most days #2 son doesn't have to be at daycare before any given time so he can sleep in if he wants to; he usually does get up some time between 7 and 8. #3 son is more variable, any time between 7 and 10 is normal for him (he's not in daycare yet so we arrange to always have one parent at home anyway).

On weekends nobody has to get up until they want to but the two older boys are usually up by 8 anyway.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

My 18 month old goes to sleep between 7:30 and 8PM, and wakes up between 6:30 and 7:30 AM. She naps from about 12 to 2 at daycare, but it shifts around a little on the weekend when she's home, depending on our plans.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
2 year old and 4 year old sleep from about 10pm til 8am. We put them to bed at 8pm but they'll usually spend a couple of hours playing in the room before passing out. Sometimes the two year old will fall asleep at seven (which is awesome) but she doesn't nap during the day most days and if she does she'll be up til midnight. I think when the four year old starts school his routine will change because he'll have to get up and be active earlier but at the moment he's in nursery in the afternoons so mornings can be pretty lazy..

13 year old goes to bed at half tennish, god knows when he actually goes to sleep and he gets woken up at half seven to get ready for school.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
11 month old boy, goes to bed at 19:00ish, sometimes later if we're visiting grandparents on the weekend or something. Sleeps until 6 - 6:30ish, then daycare at 7:30 where he naps somewhere between 10 and 11 for 1-1,5 hours. Another nap at 2-3ish for another 1-1,5 hours. Reading some of you guys posts make me realise that he apparently sleeps a lot? But he doesn't have a dull moment when he's up so he's just pooped when we put him down.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
That's totally normal; they need 14-15 hours a day (night + naps). The hard part can be to get them to go to sleep--and stay asleep. ;)

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/guide/sleep-children

4 & 7 year old go to bed at 20:00 and 20:30. Lights out; and they fall asleep before too long. They wake up on their own by 07:00. (They could sleep as late as 07:30, but they don't.) When they were both toddlers, bedtime was ~19:30, and they'd sleep until about 7, with a nap from about 13:00-15:00. As babies, 4-18mo, the night sleep was from 19:00-06:00, with a shorter mid-morning nap, and still a 2 hour afternoon nap. Morning nap was phased out around 18mo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Do I have some sort of filter on that is converting everyone's time to military time?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Our 2,5 year old goes to sleep at 19-19.30, wakes up around 07.00. No naps during the day.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

BonoMan posted:

Do I have some sort of filter on that is converting everyone's time to military time?

In many countries the general population primarily uses 24-hour time. Like, most of Europe.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's just so much easier to use.

Well OK not that big a difference, but I don't have to ask "AM or PM" at least if it's not specified. It's logical and appealing,

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Our 2 year old goes to bed at 8 PM and falls asleep on his own after a story or two. He generally has been waking up at 6 AM. Our 4 year old... I put him in bed by 9 PM at the latest but he fights sleep for as long as possible. He has been sleeping in until 7 or 730. Which has been made possible by a change in my work schedule, since I used to have to drag him out of bed by 630.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
My 15 month old goes to bed usually between 7-8pm and wakes up between 8-9 am. It is amazing :3:. Naps are from 10-11am and then anytime in the afternoon.

It's almost time I think to knock out a nap somewhere. Most of the time during her afternoon nap she just plays and talks in her crib for an hour. If she's happy doing that, it's not bad for me to leave her playing, right? That's the only time I can get housework done.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
My 15 month old goes to sleep at 7 and wakes up at 6. Still wakes two or three times a night.

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012
The 11 mo. old goes to bed around 8 or 9 pm, gets up at 7:30am. He's a light napper so sometimes he gets a good solid hour nap around 10:30, or he wakes up as soon as his sister runs around a bit and doesn't nap at all. An afternoon nap is hit or miss.

The 3 yr. old - bedtime is 7:30pm (19:30) which means she actually sleeps sometime between 8 and 11. Ugh. (usually closer to 8). She gets up at 7am.

Speaking of her - is there such thing as potty training boarding school where I could send her off and she comes back able to use the bathroom? SOOOOOOO frustrated with this. She now has all the physical skills down pat (can remove and replace clothes, wipe, flush, wash hands). She is fine in panties at preschool (three half-days a week). She's fine at church. At home I'll ask her every 20 min - do you need to go potty? It never fails - she' won't even try to go. I'll insist she try if she hasn't gone in an hour. She'll throw a tantrum. At this point if I force her (find the right bribe or consequence) she almost certainly will go pee/poo in the potty. If I relent and reset the timer, 9 times out of 10 she will have an accident within 2 minutes. I'll stay calm, contain the baby, clean up the mess, ask her to sit on the potty - she flips her poo poo and will either tantrum and refuse to try the potty or change her clothes or she will pretend she can't hear me. This results in me losing my cool and roughly slapping a diaper and some clean clothes on her and winning meanest mom of the year. And it does nothing to further potty training. Any ideas for a new approach? We've tried stickers for going 1/2 a day without an accident (indifferent) and we do potty treats - a skittle or m&m for going pee or poo in the potty and doing all the steps, and she has friends that are potty trained and we praise that trait.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
It varies a little but my 5 month old goes to bed around 6, I feed her without really waking her at 9 or 10, when I go to bed. Last night she only woke up once at 3.30 to feed and then slept until 6.30. I am super happy to get decent sleep finally!

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

Why don't I hear any sleep screams?
I don't know if this will help but we used to do a larger sticker chart thing where they got a bigger prize if they could go a whole day (then 3 days, then a week) without an accident. We also used to praise like CRAZY when they would go and have them help clean up the mess if they had an accident.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
It's a power struggle. Stop worrying about it for a month or two, then start again, without making it a power struggle.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

gninjagnome posted:

My 18 month old goes to sleep between 7:30 and 8PM, and wakes up between 6:30 and 7:30 AM. She naps from about 12 to 2 at daycare, but it shifts around a little on the weekend when she's home, depending on our plans.

This is pretty drat close to mine, except he's up at 6AM without fail most days (unless he has a bad night), plays until I roll out of bed at 6:30, and usually sleeps 11-2 at day care.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

We have a weird situation, with the oldest one falling asleep first.

5.5 year old and 2 year old, both girls.

5 year old goes to bed around 18:30-19:00, and falls asleep right away.
2 year old goes to bed the same time, to make it fair for the 5 year old, but falls asleep anytime between 19:00 and 23:00. Both get up at 7 due to school and day care.
Both sleep in their own bedrooms, both have 70x160cm beds, Ikea kid size.

On potty training, 2 year old is working on it and doing pretty good. I believe the main thing is not stressing it. If you make a big deal out of it, they will refuse everything.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Strict Liability posted:

Or, for pure entertainment value, as a gift giver it's always sickly fun to show up at the birthday party and give the loudest most annoying present possible.... One of my favorites to give is the drat "Bop It" toy... guaranteed to bring hours of parental annoyance.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does something like this.
Every kid who's close enough to get a present off me as soon as they hit 2/3 gets a kiddie drum-kit and every time I've had the parent complain about either being woken up early morning by it or the kid won't stop hitting it to the point of driving them mad.
For party's my kid goes to (random school friends etc.) everyone gets a lightsaber (purple/green for girls,blue/red for boys.) It's cheap, easy and doesn't take up room.

Oodles posted:

Our 2 year old really likes Yo Gabba Gabba, it's on Netflix. It's not terrible to watch as parents, as it's got live music and fun segments. Beats watching Peppa pig for hours.

If you like Peppa Pig, you might like Ben and Holly's little kingdom, it's by the same people who did Peppa Pig.

Oh god, what's my life come to...

Man, don't worry about it I got into Yo GabbaGabba big time when my kid was younger and I used to walk around singing Wonder Pets/Little Einsteins.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 12, 2015

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm just posting because it's been three or four nights of awful sleep with my son coming into my wife and I's bed to sleep. Usually when I have to post to vent, that's when the worst is over.

Of course it won't work now but gently caress it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
A little background - I have 3 kids, the oldest is almost 5, and we just enrolled him in TK a month ago.

Over the past few days, my son has started acting out during lunch at elementary school. He's been in school for about 4 weeks, was really good for the first few weeks, and now this behavior is coming up later in his schoolday. The teacher pulled me aside today and said for the first few hours he is really well-behaved but by the time lunch and second recess rolls around (about 3 hours after school starts) he acts out.

Two days ago, he was roughhousing and fell off a bench and hit his head on the ground. He was sent home with a head injury report, which is protocol even if he really didn't hurt himself.
Yesterday, he was spitting on and at people.
Today, he was shoving kids to the ground in the cafeteria.

I am at a loss on how to discipline him, as this is all taking place at school away from my sight. He gets a "yellow bear" (down from a "green bear") for misbehaving, but he doesn't really seem to care about it. I try to bring consequences home with him, denying him stuff like crayons and markers or trips to playplaces and parks, and we even canceled a big weekend trip to Legoland because of his behavior in school today. But every time I talk to him about it, he says stuff like "I'll get a green bear tomorrow" or "Yeah, I know" but doesn't seem to really get it.

Do I just ride out the storm and hope my kid isn't turning into an rear end in a top hat? Any advice would be much appreciated. I am at the end of my rope, I feel like a failure as a parent, I really don't want my kid to grow up to be a class bully or something.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

VorpalBunny posted:

A little background - I have 3 kids, the oldest is almost 5, and we just enrolled him in TK a month ago.

Over the past few days, my son has started acting out during lunch at elementary school. He's been in school for about 4 weeks, was really good for the first few weeks, and now this behavior is coming up later in his schoolday. The teacher pulled me aside today and said for the first few hours he is really well-behaved but by the time lunch and second recess rolls around (about 3 hours after school starts) he acts out.

Two days ago, he was roughhousing and fell off a bench and hit his head on the ground. He was sent home with a head injury report, which is protocol even if he really didn't hurt himself.
Yesterday, he was spitting on and at people.
Today, he was shoving kids to the ground in the cafeteria.

I am at a loss on how to discipline him, as this is all taking place at school away from my sight. He gets a "yellow bear" (down from a "green bear") for misbehaving, but he doesn't really seem to care about it. I try to bring consequences home with him, denying him stuff like crayons and markers or trips to playplaces and parks, and we even canceled a big weekend trip to Legoland because of his behavior in school today. But every time I talk to him about it, he says stuff like "I'll get a green bear tomorrow" or "Yeah, I know" but doesn't seem to really get it.

Do I just ride out the storm and hope my kid isn't turning into an rear end in a top hat? Any advice would be much appreciated. I am at the end of my rope, I feel like a failure as a parent, I really don't want my kid to grow up to be a class bully or something.

What's he eating for breakfast and lunch? Is he having a snack before lunch and if so, what is it? Maybe he's getting a bit protein deficient by that point in the day? The fastest way to turn my kid into a demon is to let him skimp on protein. Is the behavior continuing past the lunch/recess time into the afternoon classroom session, or is it only at lunch/recess? What does the cafeteria situation look like? My kid's lunch area is LOUD and chaotic and he's got issues with those things, so he does better when he gets to sit at a table that's not in the sound-tunnel (Southern California school, they eat at picnic tables outdoors with a roof on poles to keep the sun and *imaginary* rain off.) He sits in a particular spot at the outside corner so he's getting less echo off the roof, and with his back to most of the kids to minimize the sensory input that would send him right over the top into HELLNO land which is a recipe for crappy behavior for the next 30 minutes at least.

Also, less conversations about yellow bears and green bears, more conversations about what it feels like to be spit on and pushed to the ground. It's not about whether he gets a green bear, it's about whether he hurts his friends or makes them feel bad. And lots of conversations about constructive ways to show frustration - it's okay to be angry, everyone gets angry. How we deal with that anger is by doing XYZ.

He's 5, it's TK and it's all new and even though it can be really fun, I have to assume it's also all pretty big (and maybe a little scary) changes. Was he in daycare previously or is this all new to him? Going from nothing to a full day of school has to be kind of a big deal, a bit of lashing out isn't entirely outside the bounds of imagination.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Is he tired/exhausted? Extra rest time?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

photomikey posted:

Is he tired/exhausted? Extra rest time?

The problem is, I give him time to rest/nap at home while I try to get the little ones down, and he chooses to color or "read" books or something. He sometimes falls asleep on the couch watching cartoons, but I can't seem to get him to voluntarily nap anymore. His bedtime is early-ish, but if we put him down too early he wakes up very early in the morning and goes right back to coloring or "reading" and we don't realize he's awake until we open the door to start the morning routine.

We did have him in preschool before this, but not for a very long time. He started in the spring for 3 hours a day for 3 days a week, so for maybe 5 months. This is pretty intense stuff (lots of new rules, a schedule, etc) for a kid that never really went to preschool, so I can understand him acting out a bit. The problem for me is that when he gets home I feel like I'm too little/too late in the discipline department. I used to catch him in the moment when he's doing something like this, not hearing about it 2 hours later from a third party. Maybe part of my frustration is a lack of control on my part, and I need to deal with that on my own time.

We usually talk about stuff like this in terms of being a "good friend", the whole bear color system was introduced by his teacher for their class. I try to avoid focusing on the color of bear, but it's the only tangible thing I have to rely on in terms of his behavior level that day so I tend to bring it up a bit more than I should. When I ask him if he'd like it if people spit on him or shove him he says no, and then I ask him why he did it and he says "I don't know" I find myself repeating the same things over and over again ("we need to be good friends at school" "treat other people like you want to be treated" "be cool, man!" etc) and my frustration level rises with each day I hear about some new lovely behavior.

I know I am expecting way too much from a 4-year old, but this rational thinking goes out the window when his teacher pulls me aside or puts a note in his bag asking us to help him not spit on everyone! This stuff punches me in the gut like nothing else, and it's not just embarrassment but confusion and...its just a bummer.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
What about tired (or hungry) while at school? Can they build in a 10 or 15 minute quiet time halfway between dropoff and rest-time? I know it's a lot to ask of a school trying to herd 20 other five year olds, but on the other hand... they're the ones that don't like the spitting. ;-)

Once you hear about it after school, I tend to agree there's nothing you can do. And it sounds like you run a reasonable discipline ship at home.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
2 years last night, time sure went by fast. Finally got the boys a sandbox of their own, they got a huge one just 30-40 meters away though (public kids park):

The cool thing is this tractor tyre was the exact same one I used as a kid. Repainted now, it was red & orange when I had it. Also need to get rid of all the surplus sheet metal...

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

BonoMan posted:

So I'm guessing this is just some sort of aversion to textures phase? Does that go away naturally or are there any tips or tricks we can try?

We just offer everything we're eating, all the time, and make sure there is at least one thing on the table that she'll reliably eat. She's gone from eating everything and loving it, to eating just fruit, milk and carbs for a couple of months, then suddenly she started scarfing down confit de canard, salmon roe and broccoli. She went from loving fish to refusing all kinds of fish, to loving actual proper fish, but refusing processed fish, and so on. They often have to sample stuff quite a few times to grow to like it, so I think repeat offerings and keeping the stress level low is key - you don't want food to become a power struggle arena. Just offer stuff you're eating, and if your kid doesn't want it, then no big deal, just offer it again the next time you're having it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah we have gone in for that route and while they seem to be somewhat picky eaters at home we get comments on how well they eat from the daycare people, they eat everything with vigor they say. And almost always seconds. Strange they aren't bigger given how much food goes into them I was told.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
How common is it for a daycare not to have a place for sick kids? A sick room as it were?

In other words "Your kid is running a low grade fever (100.5) we can't let him in the building" type not having a sick room? No coughing, diarrhea, vomiting, just sleepy and a small fever (Tylenol may be helping that)?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Never heard of such a thing. If a kid is sick and too sick to remain with the others until it's time to go home, it's up to us to collect him.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When my kid got hand foot and mouth they kept him in the admin building until we could pick him up.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

greatn posted:

When my kid got hand foot and mouth they kept him in the admin building until we could pick him up.

that's how things work around here too. If your kid is sick he's not coming to daycare. If he gets sick while he's there you go pick him up. I agree with this way of doing thing

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Furthermore, I would not want my already sick and therefore immunodepressed kid in the same room with kids with competing sicknesses.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

So my two year old got her first experience of heartbreak today.

A boy she always sits next to at breakfast at nursery stood up and moved away when she sat down next to him.

She's too good for him.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

As a follow-up to the green/yellow bear situation with my oldest, I thought we had turned a corner. He acted out in school on Friday, so we canceled our weekend vacation and kept things chill and boring at home. He promised to do well in school, and sure enough yesterday he did well and got a green bear and was very happy and respectful so I treated him to an afternoon at Disneyland with his siblings. They rode a few rides, watched a parade, and I praised him for being a good friend and that good friends get awesome stuff like visits to Disneyland.

And today he got an orange bear, which means he was on the verge of being taken to the principal's office for bad behavior. He was apparently screaming and running around the room, scaring all the kids, and refused to stop. To be fair, his excuse was "But I'm so excited!" but he still didn't listen. He's probably a little overtired, from his big afternoon yesterday, but he got a full night's sleep and ate a big breakfast so I don't really know if that's a good excuse. He knew what he was doing was wrong, he didn't know why he did it, but he did it anyway and refused to stop.

I am way torn on this issue. He's 4. He's prone to acting out, screaming like a banshee and acting like a crazy person. He imitates his friends. He gets excited easily. I know the point of TK is to prep these kids for their school "career" but maybe he's just too young for this. Maybe he needs another year of spending his morning at the park and running around like a maniac and being a kid with no rules and restrictions. Its the same struggle I had when debating putting him into TK in the first place - he loves the academic stuff, but the rules and the sitting around just aren't for him. Maybe he needs one more free year of a childhood before being forced into the classroom.

Anyone have any advice on this? Would I be a terrible parent if I gave up on him already and pulled him out of school - I don't think TK is required or anything. I can always enroll him in Kindergarten next fall, but what if these same issues come up there and he hasn't improved with a year of growing up? I feel terrible, like I'm stomping down one of the fundamental things about being a kid - acting like a goofball and indulging the need for spontaneous playtime.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
At the risk of sounding like an rear end in a top hat. Maybe to help him get habituated to the school setting you should try to keep big things like Disneyland visits as weekend activities? That might help him understand the difference between acceptable behaviour during school days/nights and weekends.

I'm not saying don't show him what he did was good, but instantaneous gratification of that sort might not be great either. Having him wait a few days with more green bears might be a good lesson for your son.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

rgocs posted:

At the risk of sounding like an rear end in a top hat. Maybe to help him get habituated to the school setting you should try to keep big things like Disneyland visits as weekend activities? That might help him understand the difference between acceptable behaviour during school days/nights and weekends.

I'm not saying don't show him what he did was good, but instantaneous gratification of that sort might not be great either. Having him wait a few days with more green bears might be a good lesson for your son.

Please, don't worry about sounding like an rear end in a top hat. I need to hear every bit of advice, don't try not to hurt my feelings. I know people get wonky about questioning their parenting skills - I'm not that precious. I need help!

There were a handful of extenuating circumstances for the afternoon trip - it's been a hellfire pit of an inferno here in Southern California and yesterday was the only decent day (mid-80s) we've had in weeks for an afternoon adventure. It's going to be back in the upper 90s starting tomorrow, so we will all be trapped in the house once more. We also have two other kids in the house, so I have to weigh in their involvement as well. And we are on the verge of ending our annual passes, so I wanted to milk it for everyone as much as possible.

All are terrible excuses. In retrospect, we should have done something else. Something smaller. Parenting can really sock you in the deepest part of your soul, I feel like poo poo right now. Its a real lesson in separating the parent and the person, I may suck as a parent but I can't let that bleed over and make me feel like poo poo as a person, too.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

VorpalBunny posted:

Please, don't worry about sounding like an rear end in a top hat. I need to hear every bit of advice, don't try not to hurt my feelings. I know people get wonky about questioning their parenting skills - I'm not that precious. I need help!

There were a handful of extenuating circumstances for the afternoon trip - it's been a hellfire pit of an inferno here in Southern California and yesterday was the only decent day (mid-80s) we've had in weeks for an afternoon adventure. It's going to be back in the upper 90s starting tomorrow, so we will all be trapped in the house once more. We also have two other kids in the house, so I have to weigh in their involvement as well. And we are on the verge of ending our annual passes, so I wanted to milk it for everyone as much as possible.

All are terrible excuses. In retrospect, we should have done something else. Something smaller. Parenting can really sock you in the deepest part of your soul, I feel like poo poo right now. Its a real lesson in separating the parent and the person, I may suck as a parent but I can't let that bleed over and make me feel like poo poo as a person, too.

Don't beat yourself up too much either, I don't think this means you're necessarily a bad parent. Raising kids is challenging, and some kids are easier than others. I'm sure most parents could tell you stories that made them feel like bad parents.

edited :words:

I think you need to first and foremost try and stay positive. One of the things our son was picking up on was our negativity regarding the situation, which just fed into his tantrums and was turning into a vicious cycle.

rgocs fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

VorpalBunny posted:

Don't beat yourself up over it. It sounds like you are doing a great job. The fact that you are thinking about this and reflecting and working on finding a way to do even better speaks volumes. He may not be ready for this. It sounds like a shorter day preschool program would be a better fit for him. Or none at all. I wouldn't worry about pulling him out, if it is not a good fit for him it may be doing more harm than good. You don't want him to develop a negative association with school before he's even begun real school.

One thing you could try is to do some pretend play with him focused on school. Involve the other kids and discuss how you would play school before you start. Ask what roles you need (teacher, students, etc.) and who will play what? Ask what happens at school? What supplies do you need? What rules do you need to follow? Set up a pretend classroom together and then go to town playing. Let the kids direct the play and you can throw in some tidbits here and there to gently guide the play in the right direction. This will give him a better understanding of what school is and how it works.

Whatever you decide, I would look into information on the Tools of the Mind program. Their website has info. for parents http://www.toolsofthemind.org/parents/self-regulation/ It's not the abcs and 123s that kids need in Pre-K and Kindergarten, it's the social skills and self-regulation and those are best learned through good play experiences. Tools of the mind is a great framework that has been studied and shown effective for developing those areas. Essentially, it's helping kids have better, deeper pretend play that teaches them all of the skills that they need to be successful in life.