Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Oh, good, Scott Adams was always awful. That's oddly comforting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

SomeMathGuy posted:

Oh, good, Scott Adams was always awful. That's oddly comforting.

The difference is that this comes across more as a joke, I think--Dilbert specifically is so unlikable that women avoid him, and the rest of the strip, including the woman's reaction, is deliberately over-the-top. Current Adams would title the guide "Attractive Women's Guide to Avoiding Brilliant Male Engineers" and the strip would end with Dilbert getting in a clunky zinger on the woman.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ukonvasara posted:

The difference is that this comes across more as a joke, I think--Dilbert specifically is so unlikable that women avoid him, and the rest of the strip, including the woman's reaction, is deliberately over-the-top. Current Adams would title the guide "Attractive Women's Guide to Avoiding Brilliant Male Engineers" and the strip would end with Dilbert getting in a clunky zinger on the woman.

Yeah. Old Dilbert was fully aware that its protagonist was a loser and used it to its fullest extent. The thing is I remember reading strips drawn in the newer style where that was still the case, so I'm really not sure when the shift occurred; I think it might have been gradual, with the employees getting one up on PHB more and more often and such, before it eventually came the dreck that it is now.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

ukonvasara posted:

Perhaps, but I'm having a hard time separating the strip I quoted from Adams' :biotruths: rants - mostly owing to the fact that it reads less as "Dilbert is repulsive" than "Attractive women are actively conspiring against Dilbert." I guess it could just be me taking an innocuous strip and cramming it into a now well-known narrative, though.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Dilbert is wishing death on a woman because she won't sleep with him.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True

What did he do to him?

F Minus

Mary Worth and the Giant drat Couch

Looks like Mary is in fact going to try to convince Toby she overreacted, but I bet this turns into her convincing them both they were equally wrong and they apologize to each other.

Rex Morgan MD

And her cheeks are full of nuts she's storing up for the winter, which is a bonus.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Bear in mind, this is where we left off on Wednesday:

Muffled cry? Is that the sound Eric makes when he teleports?

That's because the background changes every panel, Margo.

Edit: And shirt colors too.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 11, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

What did he do to him?

He tied the horse's head back to make it stand at attention.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

SynthOrange posted:

He tied the horse's head back to make it stand at attention.

But what did True do to the person?
You'll never know, but pray it doesn't happen to you.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Happy 9/11 Day!

Beetle Bailey

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Oh boy! Dessert and shoe repair!

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

Today, Brooke shows us a car wreck watching a train wreck.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban

ahahaha :v:

:aaa:

9 Chickweed Lane 9/11/2004

Zits

Kevin & Kell

There's some serious artifactin' goin' on in this one. THANKS OBAMA!

Mark Forehead

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's kind of an ominous thing to say out of nowhere. Is... is Mark planning to kill Mississippi Ken? Bloody Murder Comix

Pooch Café

That is demonstrably false. You just have to be one of the cool bird species.

Ballard Street

Not only is this the first two-parter Ballard Street, they both show the same scene from different angles! Constance lives in one of those hobbit-style eco-friendly earth-insulated cabins.

The Creeps

Title drop!

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

ZeeToo posted:

Pearls Before Swine

I hate it when this is used as an example of a frivolousness law suit. That coffee was so hot that it fused an elderly woman's labia to her thigh. She just wanted money to fix her old lady vagina.

And speaking of fixing vaginas, I'm super thrilled to see Everett True back in the thread.

e: oh yeah he said it first

Indolent Bastard posted:

gently caress I hate people that say "Durr, coffee is hot, so of course it burns you. Give me 2 million dollars".

text me a vag pic fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 11, 2015

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Howard Beale posted:

I'm with whoever said the brownies are completely harmless and Bernice is deluding herself into blowing off some steam. There's no way drug use could be portrayed in the good, healthy, American tradition that is the newspaper comics page. (Also, Zonker was talking to pachysandra.)

I'm guessing the complete other route, full 'Requiem for a Luann'.

Bernice will be shooting up in an ally way by the end of the week.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Only one of my strips is 9/11 related. Guess which one!

The Dinette Set doesn't pick at it.

Working Daze goes back to its roots: turning people into inanimate objects.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix knows that kid had it coming.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

This strip is normally just utterly useless, but gently caress YEAH COBBLER TIME! :woop:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

This strip can be saved if Barry hijacks it Urkel-style.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Just like Aunt Petunia used to make.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ken needs to be rockin' a dolphin skull on his boat's deck to match up to his baller Caddy.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County 2015

Peanuts (September 13, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 18-19, 1927)

Thimble Theater (March 30, 1929)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Amazingly, Bern ate some weed* and the sky is not falling**!

*as far as we know
**yet

The Amazing Spider-Man

"But if you were slightly less hot, hooooooooo boy."

Sally Forth

That seems a bit advanced for whatever grade these kids are in. Potentially a good project, though. I wouldn't want to grade it.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Eve... just... just stop speaking for your sister, ok? :cripes:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Amazingly, Bern ate some weed* and the sky is not falling**!

Obviously a hallucination caused by drug induced psychosis.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

So buy another one...???

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Alabaster White posted:

So buy another one...???
This is the early 80s! What do you think they have big displays of all sorts of magazines in nearly every grocery or convenience store and even in stands on some street corners?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Safe Havens

Samantha is God.

Dustin

The adventure continues!

On the Fastrack

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Classic Dilbert

In these early strips I think Dilbert is genuinely portrayed as a loser, there's no :biotruths: yet. It's also weird reading the Dogbert ones because he still sometimes does dog things too (Snoopy syndrome?).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arelon posted:

Classic Dilbert

In these early strips I think Dilbert is genuinely portrayed as a loser, there's no :biotruths: yet. It's also weird reading the Dogbert ones because he still sometimes does dog things too (Snoopy syndrome?).

I think it's more that, early on, Dogbert was meant to be smart and an rear end in a top hat, sure, but he was also still a dog. Catbert likewise was a cat because it fit the sadistic, evil management thing. Over time, though, the "dog" part of Dogbert got used less and less, (probably because the weird schemes of his and stuff were so popular so they took over the character) Catbert became ineffectual the same way PHB and the other management did, and so on.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Adams once wrote that people really liked it when Dogbert did dog things (especially wagging his tail when he did mean stuff) so I'm not really sure why he stopped

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (September 12-13, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Three (April 2-5, 1953)

Calaveron posted:

So was the switch from Peanuts being a cute, funny comic strip focusing on precocious children to a lovely, depressed comic focusing on a bunch of loving assholes sudden or was it gradual

A lot of people have been asking this (in the same type of tone), and really, this is the only correct answer: this is the transition. The next five or six years, roughly speaking. In fact, it's already been going on for awhile. Sounds like you might want to back up and start taking notes.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 12, 2015

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

<<Obamacare joke>>

Outbusts of Everett True

Fritzi Ritz

Sick, Sick, Sick (click for big)

Wee Pals

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Johnny Walker posted:

This is the early 80s! What do you think they have big displays of all sorts of magazines in nearly every grocery or convenience store and even in stands on some street corners?

Seriously, and it's not like a magazine featuring someone's work would ever give that person a whole box full of copies as part of it or anything.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Or doing something as unreasonable as not just letting the magazine lie around among the other ones that are always discarded without a care.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Wait -- I haven't lived in the US for several years now -- is this a thing there now? (Not remarking on 11 September, but that people light candles for it, &c.).

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Transmodiar posted:

Safe Havens

Advanced aging huh? So soon all of these moments will be lost like tears in the ocean.

Slammy posted:

Fritzi Ritz

...where did Nancy get that baby?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ms Boods posted:

Wait -- I haven't lived in the US for several years now -- is this a thing there now? (Not remarking on 11 September, but that people light candles for it, &c.).
I think some people do, but it's definitely not something that everyone does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mandrake the Magician

Theron is such a tease.

The Phantom

• Locked thread