Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

protip: stick Nerevar Surfing in the Data Files\Music\Explore folder :fyadride::tubular:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I do want to point out that I think the new music in Rebirth sounds great and fits in with Morrowind's original soundtracks. Worth downloading just to extract those MP3s, imo.
That's true. There's lots of cool stuff in it, its problem is 100% being one of the dumb everything-and-the-kitchen-sink mods that came into fashion around the time of Oblivion, as did most bad things in life. You can't just change up the cities and make them cool and expanded, you have to add dungeons and spell effects and fix "bugs" that aren't bugs (such as merchants having money, and giving you said money when you give them items in the barter window - weird bug that was!!) and rebalance everything and add frankly bizarre poo poo like random dialogue and sound effects and sexy Daedroths

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 10, 2015

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

fix "bugs" that aren't bugs (such as merchants having money, and giving you said money when you give them items in the barter window - weird bug that was!!) and rebalance everything and add frankly bizarre poo poo

see also: btb's mods

any time someone posts a load order asking for tech help I resist the urge to say "BTB's rebalance isn't making you crash but it will make you wish you did"

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Speaking of quest mods, I stumbled upon this and it sounds fun, but I have no idea how good or bad it is.
2008 also means it skipped most of the early Morrowind age when lore was that esoteric thing Tolkien had.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Atrayonis posted:

Speaking of quest mods, I stumbled upon this and it sounds fun, but I have no idea how good or bad it is.
2008 also means it skipped most of the early Morrowind age when lore was that esoteric thing Tolkien had.
I consume quest mods like E/N consumes divorcees but I've never heard of this one and "* Climb up and down the mast and steer the ship (not in real time)" made me laugh as a feature because what he means is he made a door and gave it a ladder/wheel model.

Though it does remind me of, and is probably far less buggy and far more impressive than the horrible Snakes on a Plane boat-based quest I made when I was sixteen, but that's not saying much. I have a friend who occasionally reminds me about times where I came into school, earnestly told him that I'd remade the Oblivion climax with a giant chicken called Cluckatosh, assured him it was the funniest thing ever made and then fallen asleep. It was a bad time for me.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

seen any elves lately? hahhahahahahah

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

kazr posted:

seen any elves lately? hahhahahahahah

you like to dance close to the fire DON'T you?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I have a feeling that you and I are about to become very close.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So the Oblivion thread is in the archives, but I want to know, if I've never beaten Oblivion, and I've only played a few seconds of Morrorwind, which one has the better mods / is more fun? I liked Skyrim a lot, but the Crunchiness / jank of Oblivion always called to me. SO what are your favorite TES games? Which one has the best modpacks?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

So the Oblivion thread is in the archives, but I want to know, if I've never beaten Oblivion, and I've only played a few seconds of Morrorwind, which one has the better mods / is more fun? I liked Skyrim a lot, but the Crunchiness / jank of Oblivion always called to me. SO what are your favorite TES games? Which one has the best modpacks?

Well, the oblivion thread is archived due to inactivity and the morrowind thread is still up after almost 15 years. Take a guess

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Oblivion's pretty crap overall, and Morrowind's good. Hope this helps.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

i will listen outlander, but make it quick

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm playing Skyrim again after having just recently done a Morrowind run and Morrowind is far better even than that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gobblecoque posted:

i will listen outlander, but make it quick

This is the end of you, s'wit!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OK which megapack is best? Keeping in mind that Morrorwind is a 13 year old game, and might not have aged the best.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

OK which megapack is best? Keeping in mind that Morrorwind is a 13 year old game, and might not have aged the best.

I used gold edition and it worked really well

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm playing Skyrim again after having just recently done a Morrowind run and Morrowind is far better even than that.

I had redownloaded Skyrim a few months back with the intent of playing through all the content I hadn't seen in my first playthrough. At about 60 hours into my character, running through yet another Forsworn fort, I had the sudden realization that I hadn't had any fun in nearly 40 hours worth of playing, uninstalled it, and fired up Morrowind. I have 120 hours into my new MW character.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Turtlicious posted:

MGSO is pretty idiot proof to install and gives you updated graphics and a some QOL enhancements, while still giving you the glorious freedom to die to the first mudcrab outside of town.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

MGSO is pretty idiot proof to install and gives you updated graphics and a some QOL enhancements, while still giving you the glorious freedom to die to the first mudcrab outside of town.

Just make sure to patch it. They have them all linked in the MGSO thread on the officials. And get this: http://download.fliggerty.com/download--1088

I redid a bunch of meshes because the misc item replacer in MGSO is a ton of badly smoothed poo poo.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
Thoughts on headpacks? .. I'm starting over (again) because stuff happened, and I'm unhappy with my headpacks again as well. I really want to like Mackom's heads.. but ... He didn't do such a great job with Bretons compared to.. everyone else. Visages of Vvardenfell is kinda all over the place. As is Westley's. Better Heads is worse, and takes up an esp slot for no good reason.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Why not just use the mackinaw heads, delete the Breton heads, and replace them with heads from a different pack. Or replace them with opposite sex redguard heads for laughs.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
Consistency. x_x

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Moryrie posted:

Consistency. x_x

Hobgoblin of small minds.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
I got so sick of dealing with graphical mods that now I just play it with vanilla graphics, and I'm happier for it. I do use MGE to increase the view distance, though.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Vamilla graphics certainly have... something going for them. At least they are consistent and show an art direction, even if it's rather ugly.

That said, for Beeme, if you use MGE, I'd recommend setting your view distance to 22 or something, fiddling around with manual fog distance, and adding this to your shader list. It's really good.

This will create something like this (with texture replacers, sorry):

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Atrayonis posted:

Vamilla graphics certainly have... something going for them. At least they are consistent and show an art direction, even if it's rather ugly.

That said, for Beeme, if you use MGE, I'd recommend setting your view distance to 22 or something, fiddling around with manual fog distance, and adding this to your shader list. It's really good.

This will create something like this (with texture replacers, sorry):

That looks pretty interesting, I'll try it out, thanks!

Beeme fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 28, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ginette Reno posted:

I used gold edition and it worked really well

Are you suggesting like, just vanilla or is Gold Edition a hard to google mega pack?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Are you suggesting like, just vanilla or is Gold Edition a hard to google mega pack?

It's a no-frills mod that basically restores some of the stuff that was cut out of the original game, keeping Morrowind more in tune with the developers' artistic vision.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

It's a no-frills mod that basically restores some of the stuff that was cut out of the original game, keeping Morrowind more in tune with the developers' artistic vision.

it also doesn't have a download up anymore rip

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Have I got a TREAT for you then: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5rsadb9s3nddshn/Morrowind_Gold_Edition_v0.5.zip

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh god there is no quest markers, I have no idea where to go and I just got killed by a loving crab.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

Oh god there is no quest markers, I have no idea where to go and I just got killed by a loving crab.

Welcome to the Telvanni party

Snowdog79
Jul 18, 2007

Things are more like they
are now than they ever were before.

Turtlicious posted:

Welcome to Morrowind. Now try out that scroll on the guy who just fell out of the sky!

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Are there any mods out there like Uvirith's Legacy but for House Redoran (or god forbid Hlaalu)? I've done everything possible in House Telvanni about five times over. I want a crab bunker now.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

If this is your first time playing Morrowind I truly envy you son. Push the lovely animations and the bad combat out of your mind and you're in for an awesome experience.

IMO do a little bit of the main quest while exploring the gently caress out of every cave/ruin/whatever you can, join a great house and do some of their quests along the way as well or gently caress it, it's Morrowind do whatever you want. Just don't forget to break the game backwards over your knee enough to skull gently caress it's head with its own rectum. Enjoy your stay.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowdog79 posted:

Welcome to Morrowind. Now try out that scroll on the guy who just fell out of the sky!

I flew into an ocean somewhere and tehn got murdered by a fish.

This game is hard.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Out of curiosity what sort of char did you make?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A Khajiit with a custom class, Major and Minor is mostly magic, with heavy armor thrown in, under the Apprentice Star.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

pick a weapon major/minor or you're gonna have a bad time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Spear is a pro choice.