Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Anoia posted:

The worst thing about Wildstar is even if you only play it for the housing, there's decorations that only drop in those lovely dungeons.

The worst thing about wildstar is the entire game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Rorus Raz posted:

I disagree. I think it IS the same game it was ten years ago, but it's been pared down to the core experience which is basically running progressively harder instanced stuff. If you look at Legion, it's become clear that the developers have reached the absolute limit as to what they can do with WoW, and most of the "new" stuff is just a pre-existing systems dressed up as something new (Legendary weapons are basically just an extension of the talent system, guilds are just garrisons with the fat cut out, etc). I think it comes down to the fact that this kind of gameplay can only keep people playing but for so long before they get tired of it and move on.

It doesn't help that a lot of the things that have improved the game also kinda bring into question the whole need for a massive world in the first place. Garrisons just exacerbated this further by turning the actual world into more of a glorified chat lobby than ever before.

i feel like skyforge is an example of where the genre is eventually going

i'm using skyforge here because i didn't really play any other mmos with a similar structure. warframe, maybe, but i don't know if it counts as part of the genre

there is no point in having a big open world if your game is not one of the lolbertarian pvp shitfests

and i guess guild wars 2 world is okay, i usually can find some high level people in almost any region, i guess everyone has their own favorite locations to do pve stuff in

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i will also give a honorable mention to ffxiv but that's because i just personally find that game to be very pretty and i liked going through the world on my way to max level

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

abigserve posted:

Yeah but most of my friends and myself quit during WoTLK after LFG came out, we were all still early 20's with plenty of time to play.

The thing is it's been streamlined to gently caress, there used to be a lot of reasons to get out and experience the world even if they were often tedious or annoying. As already noted while the core gameplay hasn't changed the experience has changed a fuckload from the days when you had to troll trade chat to get a group together for a lovely instance, only to find the hunter is in greens while you're flying to the dungeon entrance.

Hopefully a developer will have the balls to cut out this casual quality of life bullshit and give the players the hardcore mmo experience they desire. It will kill WoW for sure and never have to go free to play.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RottenK posted:

i'm using skyforge here because i didn't really play any other mmos with a similar structure. warframe, maybe, but i don't know if it counts as part of the genre

there is no point in having a big open world if your game is not one of the lolbertarian pvp shitfests

and i guess guild wars 2 world is okay, i usually can find some high level people in almost any region, i guess everyone has their own favorite locations to do pve stuff in

I haven't played Skyforge, but from what I understand about its structure, it sounds a lot like both Destiny and, well, Phantasy Star Online. And I think you're right that that's the direction things are heading in for most cooperative online RPGs. It's probably for the best, too.

It's actually kind of odd that Guild Wars basically went the opposite direction. The first Guild Wars was almost entirely instanced, with towns serving as lobbies where you could meet up with other players and form parties. Guild Wars 2 went full-on open world and has struggled so far to provide compelling instanced content. It's an interesting contrast to me. ArenaNet is sort of doubling down on the open-world nature of Guild Wars 2 with the expansion. Sure, they're adding an instanced raid, but they're also going farther in making the non-instanced zones more complex, with various methods of traversing them and lots of events and dangerous enemies all over the place.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
My favorite thing to do with my limited game time is research how to spec a class effectively in a game I play for fun, yea gently caress those games they deserve to die.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

My favorite thing to do with my limited game time is research how to spec a class effectively in a game I play for fun, yea gently caress those games they deserve to die.

MMO's seem to be the only genre where you need 3rd party sites to collect and dispense with vital information the devs felt compelled not to give you for reasons. If I was thinking about starting a new MMO the first thing I would do is start going through website so I can ignore the BS the devs wrote about classes and find out who does what and well in endgame.

If you believed what blizz wrote about classes in vanilla you were in for a shock, and I still feel that poo poo happens, its even worse when people say "play what you want" which is a thing you cannot do in mmos. Putting all my talent points into arms and grabbing a sword and shield to tank in berserker stance might be fun to me but is detrimental to my group and will only lead to failure.

This is a genre where top end content is supposed to be so tightly tuned you need to have the correct spec and stats and rotation and know what buttons you have are good and cool and what ones are worthless, and they don't even provide something basic like meters baked in to the game, while requiring them.

Also I still know people who were royally pissed when they leveled a paladin and were going to be a priest in plate rather than a hammer swinging damage dealer, which is what you may think you could do if you listened to blizz.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
That is an issue that is long dead in wow. The class lock on what you could do in vanilla was nothing too be relevant having to gear up in MC, BWL, and AQ40 to bring a new player/alt into Naxx. You could also add ZG and AQ20 if you wanted to be able to gear up slightly faster. You could not get purple gear without doing some kind of 20-40 man raid and I don't think I ever saw Pug raids in vanilla. The lack of a catch-up mechanic persisted all the way through BC into Wraith.

Wow is alot better at letting you do what ever you want now that they have quarantined off all the specs. FF14 lets you know right away what your class only does, with only one class has a choice to do dmg or heal because it has access to two advanced jobs.

The main culprit are the skill trees filled with bad perks. I'm glad they are dying out.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tenzarin posted:

The main culprit are the skill trees filled with bad perks. I'm glad they are dying out.

I always found the talent trees in WoW extremely opaque. I came to it from EQ2 where all the abilities and trees (at least for my two classes!) worked and would change how your character played.

To go from that to WoW's 0.5% extra chance to hit or whatever was pretty baffling and made it impossible to work out what actually worked without looking it up.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

That is an issue that is long dead in wow. The class lock on what you could do in vanilla was nothing too be relevant having to gear up in MC, BWL, and AQ40 to bring a new player/alt into Naxx. You could also add ZG and AQ20 if you wanted to be able to gear up slightly faster. You could not get purple gear without doing some kind of 20-40 man raid and I don't think I ever saw Pug raids in vanilla. The lack of a catch-up mechanic persisted all the way through BC into Wraith.

Wow is alot better at letting you do what ever you want now that they have quarantined off all the specs. FF14 lets you know right away what your class only does, with only one class has a choice to do dmg or heal because it has access to two advanced jobs.

I know alot of people who made bad gearing choices in HM because they legit thought that blizz was serious when they said main stats are all that matters, you can ignore secondary and only go for INT or w/e so every single ilvl is an upgrade, which if you play wow is completely false and why no one in the game likes versatility and why every raider I played with hated HM gear, because it was covered in poo poo stats and raid gear didn't feel good until blizz relented and I could get gear that has mastery and multistrike on it from something other than crafting in BRF.

Wow has done a pretty good job, but you still need to know what stats do what, or you end up thinking that mythic battering talisman you got from your cache is actually a thing tanks should use.

The devs are people who have played MMOs at the highest level, and they know their game has these ticks, but they still throw them in for some reason, the game has baked a bunch of old addons like atlasloot into their raid guide, but you still need someone else to tell you what buttons you need to hit and when to do max dps. I can't imagine trying to explain to a new DK tank how to time BoS so they aren't crap when they raid.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I know alot of people who made bad gearing choices in HM because they legit thought that blizz was serious when they said main stats are all that matters, you can ignore secondary and only go for INT or w/e so every single ilvl is an upgrade, which if you play wow is completely false and why no one in the game likes versatility and why every raider I played with hated HM gear, because it was covered in poo poo stats and raid gear didn't feel good until blizz relented and I could get gear that has mastery and multistrike on it from something other than crafting in BRF.

Wow has done a pretty good job, but you still need to know what stats do what, or you end up thinking that mythic battering talisman you got from your cache is actually a thing tanks should use.

You know what I want? I want an MMO where progression isn't about making numbers getting bigger, but rather just getting cool new abilities to put together in different ways and that give you ever-increasing options for how to play. (You know, like Guild Wars 1! But actually more than that I think.)

Like, look at WoW's current talent system. I actually like it a lot. Each tier of talents gives you a meaningful choice that changes how you play. That stuff is neat! That's way neater than "I got some cool new boots that I guess give me more Intellect so now my fireballs hit harder." I want equipment to be like WoW's talent system, sort of. I want fewer, more impactful slots. I want to hunt down equipment not because I want to increase my stats and hit stuff harder, but because it has a cool, fun, or useful effect that I will notice in how I play. Destiny's exotic gear is a good example of this, too, or Diablo 2-style legendaries.

I don't care if my base stats don't get that high. I don't care if the max level is 20 and I reach that within like three days of playing. I don't care if there are no levels at all and no scaling damage stats. Just gimme cool new stuff to play with and put together.

(Like all my MMO wishes, this one is either obviously impractical and will never happen, or has already been implemented in some game I never heard of and someone in this thread will point it out.)

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

You know what I want? I want an MMO where progression isn't about making numbers getting bigger, but rather just getting cool new abilities to put together in different ways and that give you ever-increasing options for how to play. (You know, like Guild Wars 1! But actually more than that I think.)

Like, look at WoW's current talent system. I actually like it a lot. Each tier of talents gives you a meaningful choice that changes how you play. That stuff is neat! That's way neater than "I got some cool new boots that I guess give me more Intellect so now my fireballs hit harder." I want equipment to be like WoW's talent system, sort of. I want fewer, more impactful slots. I want to hunt down equipment not because I want to increase my stats and hit stuff harder, but because it has a cool, fun, or useful effect that I will notice in how I play. Destiny's exotic gear is a good example of this, too, or Diablo 2-style legendaries.

I don't care if my base stats don't get that high. I don't care if the max level is 20 and I reach that within like three days of playing. I don't care if there are no levels at all and no scaling damage stats. Just gimme cool new stuff to play with and put together.

(Like all my MMO wishes, this one is either obviously impractical and will never happen, or has already been implemented in some game I never heard of and someone in this thread will point it out.)

Look at how popular skinner box games are on phones, and then consider that wow is a really pretty 3d skinner box, and realize we all would rather have bigger numbers than a bunch of cool poo poo that would get people complaining, and then you still have to go online so you know what the imba combos are and which are useless because games.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I was curious about what the lesser-played races looked like. I did not expect this result. (Warning: nerd voice commentary)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIuRoGiHlTE&t=4001s

I think the last time I saw a face like that is when I watched Coonskin.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Making tons of new abilities that change the way your character plays all the time is way way harder than rewarding you with a Sword of +1 Crit. Also lots of new abilities all the time completely alienate all the players who don't like researching like the people who posted earlier on the page.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Comrayn posted:

Hopefully a developer will have the balls to cut out this casual quality of life bullshit and give the players the hardcore mmo experience they desire. It will kill WoW for sure and never have to go free to play.

Mark my Words: wildstar is in no way the last MMO to try this unironically.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Maybe some crowd funding superstar can pull a star citizen with MMO idiots but no way in hell are you going to see a publisher try to make an MMO like this again. The only reason NCsoft stuck around this long was probably because of sunk cost.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Harrow posted:

What you are ignoring is Dominant Strategy. Yea you have all kind of options and skills and you have tons of gear that does a million different things. The problem is that people want to implement the combination of skills and gear the maximizes output with minimal input. So yea in Diablo 3 you can play all kinds of classes and all kinds of skills but everyone just plays whatever the flavor of the patch class and skill combination is. As a developer, I'd imagine it's exhausting trying to give people options while balancing the challenge of the game to it and watch people just all do the same thing.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rexicon1 posted:

What you are ignoring is Dominant Strategy. Yea you have all kind of options and skills and you have tons of gear that does a million different things. The problem is that people want to implement the combination of skills and gear the maximizes output with minimal input. So yea in Diablo 3 you can play all kinds of classes and all kinds of skills but everyone just plays whatever the flavor of the patch class and skill combination is. As a developer, I'd imagine it's exhausting trying to give people options while balancing the challenge of the game to it and watch people just all do the same thing.

I guess I think its pretty normal to want to get the most out of games like this, especially D3, where killing 10000 monsters faster is better than doing it slower.

Turtle Sandbox fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 12, 2015

Spopling
Dec 31, 2013

i draw conclusions with my dick
Does anyone have a 7 day free key they can give me?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Spopling posted:

Does anyone have a 7 day free key they can give me?

Don't loving play wildstar you brain damaged idiot. What the gently caress is wrong with you.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > Wildstar: Don't loving play wildstar you brain damaged idiot. What the gently caress is wrong with you.

Spopling
Dec 31, 2013

i draw conclusions with my dick

Rexicon1 posted:

Don't loving play wildstar you brain damaged idiot. What the gently caress is wrong with you.

i know i need it so i can delete my characters and pretend i never experienced those dark times.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you fuckin liar

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
So when is Carbine adding something like this to wildstar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgnWu8a809U

Deki fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 12, 2015

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Deki posted:

So when is Carbine adding something like this to wildstar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgnWu8a809U

Everyone should play LISA. No one should play Wildstar.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

RottenK posted:

the genre is going into the loving grave

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Minrad posted:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

Even with all the slap fighting that's going on, we all still remember the important things. :911:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Minrad posted:

Good

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Turtle Sandbox posted:

MMO's seem to be the only genre where you need 3rd party sites to collect and dispense with vital information the devs felt compelled not to give you for reasons.
This is bad in just about any multiplayer game that you want to be competitive in. Mobas and fighting games are particularly bad about this, though it really stems from the fact that there's a lot of weird interactions or mechanical quirks that the devs didn't think anyone would give a poo poo about but end up really important in ESPORTS or being the World First Raid Team (seriously who gives a gently caress about world firsts these days?)

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Minrad posted:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I played Skyforge for a bit when it came out of Beta and it seemed like the most naked, soulless grind. That I would have had to play for over a month just to unlock the class I actually wanted to play as didn't really help that feeling.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Oh Snapple! posted:

I played Skyforge for a bit when it came out of Beta and it seemed like the most naked, soulless grind. That I would have had to play for over a month just to unlock the class I actually wanted to play as didn't really help that feeling.

Skyforge is warframe the mmo.

Grind to unlock things that let you grind differently.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

RottenK posted:

I'm a bit late to this conversation but I just wanted to chime in and say that I don't think that Skyforge is an example of where the genre is going as much as it is a good example of how the genre might be splitting. There is plenty of incentive to have large open worlds even without open world PvP if the player base that you are trying to attract really enjoys exploring and your game caters to that type of player quite a bit. You mentioned GW2 and I'd say they achieved that quite well even with its flaws.

Skyforge is a different structure without the open world but it is still a lot of fun and I think that there is plenty of room for that within the MMO genre. At the very least, I would like to see more of it except less grindy if possible. Perhaps there is even enough interest in it for someone to come along and really blow us away with a new game using that structure to the point where the genre itself splits off in the form of clones like it usually does.

epicaricacy
Jan 19, 2015

Mayor McCheese posted:

Everyone should play LISA. No one should play Wildstar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plz-bhcHryc

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The game's story goes about as well for the characters as the The Room's does for Johnny, game owns.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
So does anyone actually play this game on here? My friend handed me a code for the free to play beta, Ive played like 5 hours and despite the combat having a nice weight and animation to it the atmosphere just seems completely dead. I know immersion never seems that important in these type of games anymore, but boy do I not give a poo poo about any of this which in a game that lore is starting off with some big ol' "what happened to this god-race" mystery is pretty loving bad.

Maybe I should just download skyforge and see if that's not poo poo because the forum doesnt have me hoping it gets better.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Everyone here either played it and hated it, saw enough before buying it to hate it, or is just here to talk about other MMOs.

Oh, and one developer posts now and again.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Everyone here either played it and hated it, saw enough before buying it to hate it, or is just here to talk about other MMOs.

Yeah I pretty much clocked out on looking at Wild Star as soon as I heard the dreaded "Like vanilla WOW!" unofficial taglines. Vanilla sucked rear end and has some serious rose-tinted glasses poo poo. I just thought maybe if they where changing to a f2play model maybe they'd given up on trying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

d3c0y2 posted:

So does anyone actually play this game on here?

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

And John Dyne. I play it. :v: I'm the exception that proves the rule.

I've been playing an esper in the beta and I have to say, it's not really a class I like. It seems like a decent concept, a class that makes weapons with their minds, but compared to its healer/damage counterpart, the spellslinger, it feels incredibly clunky and slow; everything has such a slow charge up time and the healing abilities don't feel as good, and you have to use so much poo poo just to kill things. Spellslinger had charge ups and other poo poo, espers go off of combo points. It doesn't feel as smooth.

But yeah the story just seems kinda meh. If you're exiles and start in the forest zone, there's a giant mechanical tree creature that is supposed to be this ancient and wise thing with all the knowledge of the Eldan or whatever they're loving called, but of course the chua show up and cackle and throw bombs at it and kill it. The story is really hard to give a poo poo about.

e:

d3c0y2 posted:

I just thought maybe if they where changing to a f2play model maybe they'd given up on trying that.

Supposedly they're toning it down a lot in the raids and making it less 'HEH HARDCORE CUPCAKE' and more generally accessible. They've already put in a handful of quality of life improvements that improve some of the really dumb poo poo they had originally started with, like a general improvement to run speed, not having to hold down sprint in bursts while on a mount, and adding poo poo most other MMOs have like suggested content so you don't sit around going 'what the gently caress can I even do.'

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 15, 2015

• Locked thread