Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah but at least he recognized he was just boycrushing by TPP. Big Mama was jumping into open flames to get ahold of his half dead torso and she had no contact with him for decades.

That's some good dick.

Ocelot mindcontrols himself into thinking he got possessed by his arm so that he can perfectly play the role he needs to to make BB's dream come true.

If Ocelot was in Eva's position and needed to kill himself to continue the plan you just know he'd gladly set himself on fire while clutching BB's corpse to his chest to fulfil his role. He wouldn't even think twice about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

jerkstoresup posted:

Did Huey intentionally let Skull Face destroy MSF? I know everything he does afterwards is crazy, but it seemed like he had naively good intentions for the nuclear inspection.

Yeah, he wasn't happy about MSF having a nuke, so he sold MSF out in exchange for his safety. Its why Dr. Strangelove left the base just before the attack happened.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I might be misremembering but wasn't Huey gung-ho about ZEKE having a nuke in PW?

Also, I cannot believe that ZEKE wasn't recovered at some point during the game. They went through the effort to recover the broken, gibbering Peace Walker pod by draining Lake Nicaragua but left the fully intact and presumably preserved ZEKE on the sea floor? What a shame.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 12, 2015

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
How do you think Amanda and the Sandinistas overthrew Somoza?

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I think the greatest missed chance [ what make's thu biggest phantom pain , ha ha] was nobody took advantage of this 9/11 conspiracy thing by making funny pictures and videos like as such :

• this is pequad , arriving shortly at lz *cuts to plane enter building 1*
• this is peequad , i cant land here *enters building 1*
• a good twist might of been that , and i know that the part of when he says hes not going to bury them at sea is good , but imagine it was a twist that big boss venom or big boss had been a part of the pakistan attack to kill bin laden , and actually the twist is that he is saying to bin laden *after "saving him"*, i wont bury ur sorrow to the hartless see . i will always be with you. and bin laden becomes noe of the new members for diamond dogs or what its called in when that happens to this time's line
• maybe the plane misses pentagon because solidus is the presadent ?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
........yea

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Jake Snake posted:

Watching cut scenes and listening to the tapes again. I love when Venom asks who the guy was that led him to safety, Ocelot just ignores the question lol.

I'm not entirely convinced Ocelot successfully hypnotized himself. He kept dropping so many hints that Venom isn't Big Boss throughout the game.

He didn't. He hypno-comaed Venom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

I might be misremembering but wasn't Huey gung-ho about ZEKE having a nuke in PW?

Also, I cannot believe that ZEKE wasn't recovered at some point during the game. They went through the effort to recover the broken, gibbering Peace Walker pod by draining Lake Nicaragua but left the fully intact and presumably preserved ZEKE on the sea floor? What a shame.

I think a thing said that it was lost with Mother Base. Which, if Huey really was the traitor, is probably true since Huey'd have otherwise gotten them to salvage it.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

He didn't. He hypno-comaed Venom.

Ocelot said he was going to do it to himself too, but in such a way that he'd remember the real Boss when the time came. It's in the "Adam/John" tape you get at the end.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I think I like Zero's new voice actor better than the one he had in MGS3. He's such a grandfatherly Bond villain.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

swamp waste posted:

I'm sorry to interrupt whatever this is but I just saw the ending and I liked it. I felt that the point was that you, the player, become Big Boss, by being assigned his past and taking on his future, as a very literal expression of the idea of playing a video game character. It makes the lore a lot gnarlier but i value the experience more than the lore, which has never 100 percent made sense anyway.

Also I used my real name and face at the beginning, so getting a personally signed note from "Vic" Boss was an extremely powerful moment for me

In an attempt to be meta I called my guy David and made him look as much like Snake as I could, and so ended up somewhat more confused than I needed to be.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Strom Cuzewon posted:

In an attempt to be meta I called my guy David and made him look as much like Snake as I could, and so ended up somewhat more confused than I needed to be.

"David, huh...If I have a son, I should name him that."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
drat man. People love Big Boss.

I love how zero knocks over what sounds like 20 chairs or tables in the zero/skull face tape.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zero sets up shop in one of Manhattan's worst neighborhoods during NYC's absolute nadir (the 70s) and somehow manages not to get shot.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I love how zero knocks over what sounds like 20 chairs or tables in the zero/skull face tape.

He was hiding out in his excess chair and table warehouse.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Exclusive footage of Zero.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Funky Valentine posted:

Zero sets up shop in one of Manhattan's worst neighborhoods during NYC's absolute nadir (the 70s) and somehow manages not to get shot.

Literally every one he had contact with worked directly for him. Did you just hear the neighborhood and then tune out explaining exactly the security situation there?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Jake Snake posted:

I finished this game last night. Absolutely loved the twist, though the emotional impact Kojima was trying to create really flat for me, because I am a woman. I know video games in general ignore female gamers, so really MGS isn't much worse than any other AAA title, but I wish they had taken the fact that a woman might be playing the game into a little more consideration. I don't know what the solution could be though, because it would probably bring up way more issues if the player character had to go through a forced sex change (the identity change is plenty hosed up already). However, I definitely got the message, which is the important thing I guess.

Though it's hilarious that the big bearded burly dog of war Big Boss now has to go by the name "Tiffany."

I was wondering what female players would think of this, yeah. It's so different from any real life transgender story that it probably would have been okay, but maybe they didn't want to open that can of worms anyway. Or maybe they genuinely didnt consider that women would play this.

Funky Valentine posted:

Doesn't Paz say that people are afraid to go inside the building because they think a gang hides out there lol

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I made my guy look like a black Freddy Mercury so the intended message may have gotten lost

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

All I know is that I am going to -that- hospital if I ever need plastic surgery. If they can turn a white man asian then they can do anything.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

All I know is that I am going to -that- hospital if I ever need plastic surgery. If they can turn a white man asian then they can do anything.

Zero pays the big bucks for quality surgeons.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

The philosophical progression as I understand it is as follows
The Boss: gently caress yourself over for in pursuit of your ideals
Big Boss: Your ideals are what matter and gently caress anyone who gets in the way
Solid Snake: gently caress ideals, keep crazy people from killing innocent people
Raiden: Kill the crazy people who wanna kill innocents so hard they'd need a nano-assembler to get put back together

In which game do I get to be Raiden?

Don't get a deterrent. BE a deterrent.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arx Monolith posted:

In which game do I get to be Raiden?

Don't get a deterrent. BE a deterrent.

Metal Gear Rising.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
The weird thing about this hilarious ingsoc stuff is how loving incredibly lucky they were with setting up the 9/11 countdown vack in loving march and mission 51 ending the way it did. Mind boggling.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Also the gently caress is going on here, that sure does look like the boss's snake scar but the rest is clearly paz. Confirmed to be in game files. Also chapter 3: peace. Could be where most of the cut stuff was.

https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/3klvn0/mgsv_spoilersa_certain_model_found_in_the_game/

Edit: looks like you can play as the boss in mgo.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 12, 2015

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

swamp waste posted:

I was wondering what female players would think of this, yeah. It's so different from any real life transgender story that it probably would have been okay, but maybe they didn't want to open that can of worms anyway. Or maybe they genuinely didnt consider that women would play this.

Yeah, it's not that much of a big deal to me anyway, since I'm pretty much always getting into a game with the mindset that the intended audience most likely is not someone like me. Big Boss's "you are me" speech just kind of drove home the fact more than usual.

Like I said though, I can't think of a good way to resolve that issue without bringing in more complications/drama. It had to be a character Kiefer Sutherland could voice for the twist to work. It would have been extremely difficult to pull that off if they tried to be more gender inclusive.

Also, has anyone seen this? (Upper right corner): http://i.imgur.com/6YmnREP.png

Someone supposedly ripped it from MGSV. Found it here: https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1443449&page=10

Could be fake just to stir up more :tinfoil: though.

edit: dammit^

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Vikar Jerome posted:

The weird thing about this hilarious ingsoc stuff is how loving incredibly lucky they were with setting up the 9/11 countdown vack in loving march and mission 51 ending the way it did. Mind boggling.

kojima is just pretending to be a butthole indie dev loving with us in order to to gently caress with us. why would he give us a happy 9/11? this is much more fitting

besides, traditionally you don't open your gifts until the day after 9/11 (known as boxing day)

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine

The Radix posted:

kojima is just pretending to be a butthole indie dev loving with us in order to to gently caress with us. why would he give us a happy 9/11? this is much more fitting

besides, traditionally you don't open your gifts until the day after 9/11 (known as boxing day)

And technically, according to the timer

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
i was joking but... 1984 is track 9/11 on diamond dogs

however

the "big boss" song on that album is the track immediately after 1984: Big Brother

which starts 1984 seconds into the album: https://youtu.be/CvgqWO_TgP0?t=1984

can't outfox me kojima

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

The looking glass is in the rear view mirror now

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine

Chippita posted:

And technically, according to the timer

It's now over.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
So, what I'm hearing is that MGSV is a game with:
  • A extended, slow beginning that suddenly rushes to the end because of budgeting problems.
  • Poorly balanced multiplayer invasion mechanics.
  • A touted open-world that isn't complete, containing large areas with nothing to do.
  • A sketchily documented "morality system" that doesn't really interact with other parts of the narrative or effect narrative outcomes.
  • A plot that attempts to have it both ways with the morality of the protagonist- good enough for the player to identify with, but bad because it's what the larger plot calls for.
  • As a result, story beats in which you do bad things are always provided with some moral justification that cuts against any negative interpretation of the player's actions.
  • Several competing narrative threads that occupy your attention, but don't really flow together or present a coherent set of themes.
  • A major theme of "revenge is bad", but it's not your only motivation because there's simultaneously a moustache-twirling enemy plot to oppose.
  • An antagonist's master plan that makes no sense and fails the instant they try to put it into action.
  • Major plot points, that require listening to optional audio logs.
  • An ending that doesn't explain whether your character is reversing course or moving forward with their previous, nominally evil mentality-but it doesn't really matter.

Isn't this Watch_Dogs?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 12, 2015

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Dumb question: I only ever played the first two MGS games, and a long time ago at that. I barely remember anything from MGS2 but I remember it taking place on a series of oilrig things or something. Am I right to assume that the setting for MGS2 is the "Mother Base" I'm building in 5?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Oddly enough, the answer is both yes and no

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Dumb question: I only ever played the first two MGS games, and a long time ago at that. I barely remember anything from MGS2 but I remember it taking place on a series of oilrig things or something. Am I right to assume that the setting for MGS2 is the "Mother Base" I'm building in 5?
No, the setting of MGS2 is the Big Shell, a decontamination facility built in New York Harbor to clean up a crude oil spill. But they are pretty similar in design.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
What saddens me In a series full of parallels they didn't do boss/big boss one very well.

Bosses turn to the dark side was pressed upon her and she acted for noble reasons, in the end her protégé arrives and she continues to mentor him in a weird antagonistic way until he defeats her.

In a game that supposedly brings the series full circle I'd want to see that plot mirrored in some way. This to me should have been a game about establishing outer heaven, not some insignificant other base in the ocean, Solid should have featured and if the back end had some of the bosses "actually I expect you to win but I'm gonna fight my hardest" element? Gravy.

Also i want the series to close out with the kind of mad explosion of fanservice and madness 4 did. The plot was horrid, but I expect that from mgs. More than that though it was a send off, an actual goodbye to characters I'm invested in for some mad reason. Jesus we even saw meryles horrible wedding.

These might be like, the obvious choices, but surely at this point that's earned?

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Mr Scumbag posted:

No, although apparently the offshore construction technology is very advanced in the Metal Gear Solid universe and allows for platforms to be constructed very quickly.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

ShineDog posted:

Also i want the series to close out with the kind of mad explosion of fanservice and madness 4 did. The plot was horrid, but I expect that from mgs. More than that though it was a send off, an actual goodbye to characters I'm invested in for some mad reason. Jesus we even saw meryles horrible wedding.

These might be like, the obvious choices, but surely at this point that's earned?

I think that the fact that we know that all of the major characters die and that we know when and how kind of prevents the same kind of montage of endings as MGS4. Big Boss dies, Zero dies, Miller dies, Ocelot dies, Huey dies, Eli dies, Mantis dies. The only one whose fate is unknown is Codetalker but who cares about him.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I don't think the send off needs to be happy. I did expect characters like Eva and zero and maybe even the other founding patriots to feature.

Zero in this game is particularly bad to me. He's not just sidelined, the conflict between those two was a pretty interesting idea and after not getting to ever see it now we see zero rendered crap and neutered.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

ShineDog posted:

I don't think the send off needs to be happy. I did expect characters like Eva and zero and maybe even the other founding patriots to feature.

Zero in this game is particularly bad to me. He's not just sidelined, the conflict between those two was a pretty interesting idea and after not getting to ever see it now we see zero rendered crap and neutered.

Zero was a shithead who probably only believed in the boss in the first place due to Big Boss. Ultimately all of the groups that formed because of The Boss were terrible for the world as a whole regardless of their methods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Isn't this Watch_Dogs?

No. Not even remotely close.

• Locked thread