Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

hi liter posted:

More Fuji troubleshooting - I just purchased a YN 560-IV and a set of YN RF-603C radio triggers. While I have gotten the trigger to sync with the flash (it fires when I press the button on the trigger) I can't get it to fire off of my X100S hotshoe. I have set the X100S to the external flash mode, but no dice. The flash will fire when mounted directly on my hotshoe, but I would like to get my flash off camera. Am I doing something very wrong? Is there something broken with my camera?

I need to use 'legacy' mode with the 622s to get them to work with my x100 or my old film stuff. Does the 603s have a similar requirement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

hi liter posted:

More Fuji troubleshooting - I just purchased a YN 560-IV and a set of YN RF-603C radio triggers. While I have gotten the trigger to sync with the flash (it fires when I press the button on the trigger) I can't get it to fire off of my X100S hotshoe. I have set the X100S to the external flash mode, but no dice. The flash will fire when mounted directly on my hotshoe, but I would like to get my flash off camera. Am I doing something very wrong? Is there something broken with my camera?

It is probably in silent mode. Its buried in the menu and disables random stuff in addition to beep noises.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Not in silent mode. For whatever reason, I can't fire the trigger through the hotshoe. Did I get faulty triggers? Or am I being a big noob. Also, I'm having a bitch of a time tracking down a manual for the RF-603C II.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hi liter posted:

I have never tried it on my x100s, but your post made me digged out all the gears in the middle of the night

YN560 III
RF-603c trigger (Canon version)
X100S flash in "External Flash" mode.

Flash sync works up to 1/1000s, 1/2000s doesn't work.

I think I will start playing with some daylight fill flash.

flash setting:

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 2, 2015

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Let’s talk about firmware updates.

Fuji is the king of this poo poo, no doubt.

Sony does like a few for each body.

Olympus is pretty good right?

Well, Panasonic just announced that their new firmware update for the GH4 will cost $100 to add some extra 4k video quality.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Question, what is a good flash for a Sony A7, I don't mind manual, I have an el cheapo flash for my 40D that changed how I took indoor photography, but what do you all recommend for the a7

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Even with good seats you'd want the maximum possible reach and fastest aperture. I think the 55-200 is the way to go out of whats available. Also, not really sure you'll be able to get much in the way of action with the X-E1. I have one and I love it to pieces but the tracking AF is pretty useless.

Thanks for the advice; we had a great trip and I got some decent shots. The extra reach and speed of the 55-200 was really helpful. I did miss some shotsbecause of autofocus, so I can see where an X-E2 or X-T1 would be nice, but it wasn't a huge impediment with some care. The shot below (X-E1/55-200) was tracking Tsurenko from courtside as she moved in to hit a forehand winner. Outside of operator error cutting off her foot, the camera and lens did just what they we supposed to.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

bobfather posted:

Let’s talk about firmware updates.

Fuji is the king of this poo poo, no doubt.

Sony does like a few for each body.

Well, Panasonic just announced that their new firmware update for the GH4 will cost $100 to add some extra 4k video quality.

But it's the fabled V-log profile which adds 2 WHOLE STOPS OF DR!!! :zoid:

GH4 video shooters (who are legion, since every reviewer in the world has been touting the GH4 for video) are losing their poo poo over this. The real whining, though, will start when the GH5 comes out next year with this stuff already loaded, for the same price as the GH4.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Ryand-Smith posted:

Question, what is a good flash for a Sony A7, I don't mind manual, I have an el cheapo flash for my 40D that changed how I took indoor photography, but what do you all recommend for the a7

I like this Metz http://www.amazon.com/Metz-MZ-20220-Automatic-Reflector/dp/B000GEBVGW, it's tiny fairly bright and capable of bouncing off a ceiling. I don't use flash a ton but I like having one around just in case.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

bobfather posted:

People who would actually use V-Log aren't going to be too bothered by $100; Sony once charged $900 to update one of their video cameras similarly. They might spend more than that on lookup tables to grade their fancy new video anyway.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

bobfather posted:

lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Where's my focus peaking update Olympus? :argh:

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Can anyone give me a quick rundown on the lenses to have for Sony FE cameras? I'm pretty set on an A7II and it was disappointing to see that the SEL2470Z and SEL1635Z are both only capable of F4; is there anything better on the horizon? In A mount i've got the Sony 35mm 1.8 and Minolta 50/1.8 and 50/2.8 Macro, but I'm tempted by the SEL55F18Z as weather sealing would be a real bonus. None of the zooms I have in A mount are of any note.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The 35mm f/2.8 is a great everyday lens as it is small, light, relatively affordable and sharp as a tack.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Is image stabilization for adapted lenses worth the ~$500 increase from a7 to a7II?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

teraflame posted:

Is image stabilization for adapted lenses worth the ~$500 increase from a7 to a7II?

Having only ever used one stabilized lens in my life I would say yes. I wouldn't chose a system based on it but if you are already gonna buy sony then get that IBIS.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

$500 is what it'd cost to have one good zoom stabilized so probably yeah.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

sadnessboner posted:

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on the lenses to have for Sony FE cameras? I'm pretty set on an A7II and it was disappointing to see that the SEL2470Z and SEL1635Z are both only capable of F4; is there anything better on the horizon? In A mount i've got the Sony 35mm 1.8 and Minolta 50/1.8 and 50/2.8 Macro, but I'm tempted by the SEL55F18Z as weather sealing would be a real bonus. None of the zooms I have in A mount are of any note.

I have the SEL35F28Z, SEL55F18Z and the SEL1635Z, which I use on my A7RII. Image quality with all of these is top tier, you won't have any complaints.

The 35mm f/2.8 is an amazing street lens. Get it if you want easy to carry and/or small form factor, or if you like 35mm. The sheer convenience and low profile of this lens means I take it just about everywhere.

The 55mm f/1.8 is a no-brainer if you like 50mm lenses on the system. It has stunning contrast wide open, and is my go-to lens when there's a chance I'll be shooting in low light. Also an amazing general purpose lens. I've gone on trips with only the 35mm and 55mm and been super happy, and used the 55mm 80% of the time.

I got the 16-35mm f/4 relatively recently but I've been very happy with its performance so far, no complaints at all. For wide angle stuff I find I simply don't need large apertures, and in this case I feel it's easily preferable to sacrifice maximum aperture for smaller size, lower cost and bonus image stabilisation. I've taken sharp, hand-held shots at 1 second shutter speed with this lens (it took a lot of tries but I got there). The zoom range is also extremely versatile; if I want a general-purpose travel or landscape lens, I reach for this one.

To be honest, none of the lenses I've mentioned are anywhere close to being duds, Sony have really hit a home run with their FE-mount lineup. Also bear in mind there are now the highly competent Zeiss ranges (Batis and Loxia), and Sony will be coming out with their own fast 85mm pretty soon. Ultimately it just depends on what you're shooting rather than what's the "best lens", since there's now a lot of amazing glass to choose from.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

sadnessboner posted:

I would echo what Jimlad said, and add that the 70-200 F4 is a delight as well. I've used it for sports, at the beach, aviation, etc., and it's always come through for me. The only time I've really missed the fact that it wasn't f2.8 was in poorly lit high school gyms, but otherwise it produces great images and autofocuses like a champ.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Supposedly a f2.8 version of the 24-70mm is planned soon.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Great, being Sony it should only be around $3500.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Jimlad posted:

I have the SEL35F28Z, SEL55F18Z and the SEL1635Z, which I use on my A7RII. Image quality with all of these is top tier, you won't have any complaints.

The 35mm f/2.8 is an amazing street lens. Get it if you want easy to carry and/or small form factor, or if you like 35mm. The sheer convenience and low profile of this lens means I take it just about everywhere.

The 55mm f/1.8 is a no-brainer if you like 50mm lenses on the system. It has stunning contrast wide open, and is my go-to lens when there's a chance I'll be shooting in low light. Also an amazing general purpose lens. I've gone on trips with only the 35mm and 55mm and been super happy, and used the 55mm 80% of the time.

I got the 16-35mm f/4 relatively recently but I've been very happy with its performance so far, no complaints at all. For wide angle stuff I find I simply don't need large apertures, and in this case I feel it's easily preferable to sacrifice maximum aperture for smaller size, lower cost and bonus image stabilisation. I've taken sharp, hand-held shots at 1 second shutter speed with this lens (it took a lot of tries but I got there). The zoom range is also extremely versatile; if I want a general-purpose travel or landscape lens, I reach for this one.

To be honest, none of the lenses I've mentioned are anywhere close to being duds, Sony have really hit a home run with their FE-mount lineup. Also bear in mind there are now the highly competent Zeiss ranges (Batis and Loxia), and Sony will be coming out with their own fast 85mm pretty soon. Ultimately it just depends on what you're shooting rather than what's the "best lens", since there's now a lot of amazing glass to choose from.

Thanks for this, I went with the SEL55F18Z; my 35mm basically lived on my older crop sensor camera so it should be a similar feel.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Supposedly a f2.8 version of the 24-70mm is planned soon.

And I was kind of hoping there would be some news like this for the future, too

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

Great, being Sony it should only be around $3500.

I'm holding out hope it won't be insanely expensive because they skip OSS (since their new bodies have IBIS).

I have nothing to base this on other than what I want to happen, though.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm holding out hope it won't be insanely expensive because they skip OSS (since their new bodies have IBIS).

You should hope that it's not too huge either - just look at the Fuji 16-55/2.8.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

alkanphel posted:

You should hope that it's not too huge either - just look at the Fuji 16-55/2.8.
The Fuji is relatively small. Look at the Canon EF-S for a same-spec crop lens. (Albeit with IS)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

alkanphel posted:

Sony is not going to make a APSC 2.8 zoom anyway (or a small FF 2.8 zoom for that matter)

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 10, 2015

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
And the A7SII is official, and it's pretty much the camera Justin should have waited a few months for.

The key thing to look for that hasn't been announced yet is if they've found a way to deal with the colour cast around the edges at extremely low light levels. Still no phase AF (or so it seems), but that's no biggie since the A7RII kicks back to contrast AF in very low light anyway, plus the A7SII AF works to -4EV, whereas I think the A7S only went to -3.

Hopefully they've improved high ISO performance as well as I personally found that I couldn't really get anything useful out of the camera past ISO 51200, even with DxO set to Prime noise reduction. There was just too much noise and loss of detail above that.

This seems like an extremely incremental upgrade to me over the previous model, and I think the biggest disappointment is the exclusion of phase AF as AF capability was the A7S' biggest downside. As an A7S owner that shoots mostly manual glass and never does video (the A7SII has internal 4K now), I really don't have any use for the A7SII, though I wouldn't say no if you gave me one. That said, this thing is going to be the bee's knees for shooting video and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the industry standard.

HPL fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 11, 2015

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I like that you like it, but it won’t become industry standard because the A7SIII is 6 months away.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

bobfather posted:

I like that you like it, but it won’t become industry standard because the A7SIII is 6 months away.

That's 25 in Fuji firmware update years.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.
Hello mirrorless camera nerds.

I just wanted to throw a note in here about my initial experience with the Canon EOS M3 vs the EOS M (called the M1 these days). I live in Japan where these cameras are slightly less unicorn like.

This is a slightly tl;dr post, so, if you hate Canon and think the EOS M family is for retards feel free to skip.

I know these things seem to be hated in North America so let me throw out some disclaimer:

I had the EOS M for about 2 years prior to replacing it, in part because I got a really good deal on a kit with the 22mm EF-M, 18-55mm EF-M, EF mount adapter, and speedlite 90ex flash all included.

I have a bunch of other EF mount lenses to go with my other not mirrorless camera, and with the smaller size it also made sense as "the camera with you is the best camera".

Took me about 3 days to realize the uses for zoom lenses on this thing are all garbage, even mounting other EF zoom lenses yields the worst of the AF garbage behavior from the camera itself. So, this became a prime lens only camera. I usually carried the M1 around with only the 22mm, and I am looking to buy more EF mount prime lenses now that I have the M3.

Nothing has changed there with the M3, the most surefire way to hate the camera is to put the 18-55mm kit lens on it and ponder your poor life choices.

End disclaimer.

Everything below is based on my experience with the 22mm EF-M lens on the M1 vs the M3, but may help you if you have an M1 and are thinking to upgrade it.

The M3 body kit only costs $450 in Japan (about 55,000 JPY).

I draw things badly and started using the hell out of the M1 when I started teaching myself backgrounds, perspective, etc. Not a lot of photos relative to pros, but the relevant apps are telling me I did about 14,500 photos on the M1 over those two years (I only kept about 3,500 of them, FWIW). So, it got some love.

One of the main weaknesses of the M1 was it's lovely behavior in low light, even in manual mode. The M3 is better, but not perfect, and let me quantify.

When taking photographs in medium to low incandescent light, the M1 takes decent (not over or underexposed, low noise) photos there with the 22mm at ISO 800, wide open / f/2.0, ~1/30. The M3 does it at ISO 1600, wide open / f/2.0, and somewhere between 1/60 to 1/125, with basically zero noise relative to the ISO800 on the M1. Higher ISO settings on either camera with reduced aperture / shutter speed leave visible noise and cause washout that does not exist in photos taken in bright light. I cannot for the life of me figure out why, because the EOS FF equivalents to these cameras do not fare so poorly.

The AF on the M1 was horrifically slow even with the firmware update and the M3 is improved but is still slow as hell relative to other cameras. This is only really a problem if you are shooting action, but with a little bit of forethought can be preempted (and I managed to photograph my dogs being crazy often with the M1, so it is possible).

The AF on the M1 was only usable in single point mode, as the multi-region AF got confused easily especially out of high contrast scenes.

The newer 49-point AF on the M3 does a great job of finding the entire plane you are shooting and focusing accordingly, except to some reviewers when it doesn't, but I would imagine they are seeing this based on their commentary as the result of using the multi-point AF when they should be using the single point, e.g. portrait photos, as I've had no issues here.

Outside of these two things, there's not much else to talk about in regards to a comparison against the M1 in technical terms.

In less technical ways, the M3 body shape is much easier to hold, it feels sturdy as hell, even against the M1. The tilt screen is a great addition, and the extra knobs and dials do help navigate ISO/aperture/shutter speed settings more quickly than the touch screen on the M1 did.

So, in conclusion:

The M3 is a solid, genuine improvement over the M1, and if you already own an M1 (or M2, I guess, but it's biggest selling point over the M1 was that it came in pink and flopped for it even in Asia) - it's worth the upgrade just for the improved AF and better low light behavior.

If you are considering mirrorless cameras, I think the limitations on the EOS M series are overblown relative to the small size and the ability to use any EF mount lens or Canon accessory, unless you actually need your camera to do 4k 1080p 60fps video in which case I am wondering why you are not buying a dedicated video camera for this.

With that said, if you have no other EF mount prime lenses or Canon accessories, that's a more difficult choice. Plus, I don't think Canon is including the EF lens mount adapter in the EOS M3 kits for new buyers, which makes that an extra $80 or so just to use more than the one prime lens available in the EF-M mount.

Note; we have some holidays coming up in Japan next weekend, and I was going to go be touristy for fun. If you guys in the thread are interested in seeing some examples of the M3/22mm lens applied to Tokyo street photography, let me know and I'll post them here as well. No promises they will turn out well, but I have high hopes from playing so far.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Hey all, so I found a Sony A7 used on Amazon (I am mad that I waited, the one kit I wanted on keh sold out, but eh, it can't be helped), and it is a good camera, compatible with my canon accessories (I bought a Yungno 430 II from a local store for 25 bucks, and that thing helped a lot with convention photography), but the one issue I have is the yungno is too.. well it makes the camera unwieldy, which is why I'm going to eat the 25bux for now and get a cheap manual flash (I actually like manually adjusting it, its fun). Otherwise my god the A7 compared to my 40D is like going from a 2001 Honda Civic to a 2015 Ford Fusion, while driving is driving its the 15 years or so of changes, and the integration with wifi alone makes me feel like I have entered the future. I am planning on going to an air show and a local NASCAR race to do some testing with the LE-EA4 I got (also my god there are a lot of people selling old Minolta lenses), but once the grip gets here to make the camera usable in my gigantic man hands, this thing I feel will be a good primary, while I delegate the 40D to the auxiliary camera.

tl;dr sony makes a good product. I am quite happy.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

windex posted:

Note; we have some holidays coming up in Japan next weekend, and I was going to go be touristy for fun. If you guys in the thread are interested in seeing some examples of the M3/22mm lens applied to Tokyo street photography, let me know and I'll post them here as well. No promises they will turn out well, but I have high hopes from playing so far.
Let's do some Mirrorless Tokyo Goon Silver Week Photography Walks!

You bring your EOS, I'll bring my XT-1. Anyone else in?

Also I've written off the EOS M entirely every time I've tried it at Yodobashi/Bic/etc or at CP+/exhibitions, but every time it's always had the zoom lens on. I'll try it again if I spot any demo units with the prime on, but what's interesting is that for me, its main competition are absolutely cheap-as-chips used NEX/a6000 bodies that are available everywhere in droves. I still think the EOS would lose. It's only winning proposition is if you got some 'spensive L glass you'd like to adapt once in a while I guess?

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 12, 2015

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone have experience with this housing? It appears to be good quality and nicely priced.

Nikon WP-N1 Waterproof Case for Nikon 1 J1 and J2 Cameras https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008V181N8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_6h-8vb9PQZJBP

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

LiquidRain posted:

You bring your EOS, I'll bring my XT-1. Anyone else in?

Yes, I would probably be into bringing my XE-1 out. It would give me an excuse to try the fujifilm lens rental service. http://fujifilm.jp/support/digitalcamera/repairservice/servicestation/region001.html#rental_service

Is the 23mm prime the one that's famously super sharp?

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

LiquidRain posted:

I could probably do this unless something comes up with work, which is probably a 1 in 3 chance of interruption on my part. If you guys coordinate a date/time, I'd prefer one of the weekdays because there will be less human activity and it looks like we're all going to be shooting mostly wide angle.

I'll also see about picking up an extra LP-E17 battery, the shiny new EF 50mm f/1.8 STM and the ES-68 & EW-43 lens hoods since I never bothered buying them but if we're going out for a day I may as well... part numbers included to make this post into my shopping list.

Neither lens seems valuable enough to bother with the lens filters.

Edit: I also suggest we meet up somewhere near a coffee shop to get set up. While I'm not going to bother with standard UV filters, I'll likely grab a couple of my Marumi DHG Circular Polarizers from the 70D kit if it's particularly bright outside and will probably need someplace to assemble lenses.

windex fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 12, 2015

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

joebob posted:

Yes, I would probably be into bringing my XE-1 out. It would give me an excuse to try the fujifilm lens rental service. http://fujifilm.jp/support/digitalcamera/repairservice/servicestation/region001.html#rental_service

It is crazy sharp, so is the 16mm f/1.4.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

joebob posted:

Yes it is ridiculously sharp, but so are all the lenses after it, like the 16, 56, 90.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
i thought the 35 was the fuji lens people really liked to lose their minds over?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I got razor sharp photos with it shooting wide open.

Crazy good lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Twenty-Seven posted:

i thought the 35 was the fuji lens people really liked to lose their minds over?

It's acceptably sharp with great bokeh rendering, but it's nowhere near as sharp as the 23 and the lenses that came after that. It's like the 23mm marked the before and after of great sharp lenses. The 18 and 35 aren't that good compared to all the later primes, although they're pretty decent in their own right.