Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

bitey posted:

Excuse me? The names of the targets are on a list distributed by Al Quada.

"Barest, most flimsy excuse?" What the gently caress is the matter with you?

Uh
What exactly do you think I'm saying?

Because I'm not sure you're understanding (or actually reading) my post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

First and most probable: Arabian Poetry.
Possibly the most important of which were The Mu'alaqaat (hung ones). Refers to a set of what was considered the absolute finest poetry produced by Arabian poets, the ten of them covered all major styles and origins used by Arabian tribes at the time, and were held in such high regard as to be painted on the Kaaba. Which then was, as is still true now, an absolutely central religious site, before Islam came in.

Knowing about pre-Islamic religion does a lot to explain certain trends in our religion, but it's definitely undertaught except for "They used to bury daughters alive." Arguments about iconoclasm make a lot more sense when you know about the standing stones.

You also get to the fun standing-stone-deities that we know of, like the two stones representing a couple that became divine after they were caught (and executed for?) having sex in the Kaaba.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Is not

"We shall brand him upon the muzzle"

a pretty clear example of the use of the Royal we?

To me, this seems like the usual, "Don't listen to those people- Allah will take care of them in due time," and certainly not anything that could be used to justify violence.

Even for a crazy person.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I wish more muslims were like Usama Hasan, man believes in human evolution and is routinely calling for some form of reform in Islamic ideology. Yeah he's still a Muslim and it baffles me that someone who is open minded and well educated with respect to the Quran and Hadith's would continue to believe, but at least he's innocuous and trying to bring Islam into the modern world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOOYR1_1Zzw

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Schizotek posted:

It actually is just an idiom meaning "humiliate" akin to the english idiom "rub their nose in the ground", and is understood by everyone, even salafists, as such. It speaks more to the way they poorly treated animals than anything else. If you need me to deconstruct it I'll go through it with sources. Unless you're problem is with the whole "we disagree with atheists" thing in which case ok. But the verses extremists use to murder atheists come later.

Listening to this sort of callow apologia is a bit like listening to some liberal Christian bending himself into exigetical knots trying to argue that the "sin of Sodom" was exclusively inhospitality, or that passages in Leviticus about homosexuality are about male temple prostitutes, or like listening to a more conservative evangelical insist that the divinely ordained genocides of Canaanite tribes was merely a description of total war against an irregular force. It takes a certain sort of hubris to insist that you have a lock on the "true" meaning of scripture when you're opposed by hundreds of millions of believers and centuries or millennia of religious scholars.

It's not that there's literally no case to be made, it's that it's a highly tendentious and questionable one that seems to arise mainly in a desire to reconcile Bronze Age theology to modern norms about the use of violence. And as such it's generally doomed to fail because Yahweh and Allah are, to the degree that we can speak of them as literary characters, bloodthirsty sadists.

Schizotek posted:

Except there's not really tying in knots going on here. You didn't even make an argument to counter mine. Just conflated it with other situations without even making the case that they even belong in the same category. And describing my argument as callow :ironicat:

Are you really going to try to pretend that you're not arguing a minority position? If a Buddhist read a little bit about biblical scholarship and paged through the New Testament before announcing that he didn't read anything in there about popes or the cult of the saints so Catholics have got it all wrong and you can start turning the Vatican into a museum now, would you not consider that an absurd position?

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 10, 2015

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

The Insect Court posted:

Listening to this sort of callow apologia is a bit like listening to some liberal Christian bending himself into exigetical knots trying to argue that the "sin of Sodom" was exclusively inhospitality, or that passages in Leviticus about homosexuality are about male temple prostitutes, or like listening to a more conservative evangelical insist that the divinely ordained genocides of Canaanite tribes was merely a description of total war against an irregular force. It takes a certain sort of hubris to insist that you have a lock on the "true" meaning of scripture when you're opposed by hundreds of millions of believers and centuries or millennia of religious scholars.

It's not that there's literally no case to be made, it's that it's a highly tendentious and questionable one that seems to arise mainly in a desire to reconcile Bronze Age theology to modern norms about the use of violence. And as such it's generally doomed to fail because Yahweh and Allah are, to the degree that we can speak of them as literary characters, bloodthirsty sadists.

Except there's not really tying in knots going on here. You didn't even make an argument to counter mine. Just conflated it with other situations without even making the case that they even belong in the same category. And describing my argument as callow :ironicat:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Vatican would make an awesome museum and I'd gladly visit it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

http://egyptianstreets.com/2015/08/10/dubai-expatriate-left-his-daughter-to-drown-instead-of-being-touched-by-strangers/

These stories are disturbing, and leading the charge against islamism in the west.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Is this really about Islamism, though? It's not like misplaced "protectiveness" over a daughter's "purity" is a cultural trait only found in Muslim countries. I mean, those are the Dubai Coast Guards he prevented from doing their work. I'd hazard a guess that Dubai is not really a place which would readily be accused of being godlessly secular and laic. The horrible dad is just said to be of Asian origin, which is extremely vague and while he can certainly be both Asian and Muslim, it's not necessarily the case. Sure, looking at Dubai's population statistics on Wikipedia we can assume he's probably Pakistani, but that's not something said in the article itself.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

Are you really going to try to pretend that you're not arguing a minority position? If a Buddhist read a little bit about biblical scholarship and paged through the New Testament before announcing that he didn't read anything in there about popes or the cult of the saints so Catholics have got it all wrong and you can start turning the Vatican into a museum now, would you not consider that an absurd position?

Pretend what? My argument is in line with not only mainline Islam, but even the ravings of salafist nut jobs. I'm not only the majority, I'm the only argument in this case. The onus is on you to prove your loving assertions chump. At the very least find me one lone Imam with the same bizarre interpretation as you.
Also no that wouldn't actually be an unreasonable conclusion for the Buddhist to come to. Especially since that's kinda the view of a huge number of Christians as well. Not that I expect Catholicism to up and disappear anytime soon.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Hey folks! It's time for round four of

Todays Surrah is Al-Muzzammil (The Enshrouded One)!

Al-Muzzammil posted:

In the Name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate

O thou enwrapped in thy robes, keep vigil the night, except a little (a half of it, or
diminish a little, or add a little), and chant the Koran very distinctly;

Behold, We shall cast upon thee a weighty word; surely the first part of the night is
heavier in tread, more upright in speech, surely in the day thou hast long business. And
remember the Name of thy Lord, and devote thyself unto Him very devoutly. Lord of the
East and the West; there is no god but He; so take Him for a Guardian.

And bear thou patiently what they say, and forsake them graciously. Leave Me to those who
cry lies, those prosperous ones, and respite them a little, for with Us there are fetters, and a
furnace, and food that chokes, and a painful chastisement, upon the day when the earth and
the mountains shall quake and the mountains become a slipping heap of sand.

Surely We have sent unto you a Messenger as a witness over you, even as We sent to
Pharaoh a Messenger, but Pharaoh rebelled against the Messenger, so We seized him
remorselessly. If therefore you disbelieve, how will you guard yourselves against a day that
shall make the children grey-headed?

Whereby heaven shall be split, and its promise shall be performed. Surely this is a Reminder;
so let him who will take unto his Lord a way.

This surrah is a commandment to the early Muslim community to chant the Quran (which is much, much shorter at this point in time) every night, and to take their persecution graciously and with forgiveness, as their persecutors will be dealt with by God on the day of judgement. A pretty common them in these early Surrahs.
While the majority of Al-Muzzammil is regarded as being a very early surrah, the last (kinda huge) ayat is generally agreed to have been added by Muhammad later, during their time in Medina, as the Quran became longer.

Al-Muzzammil posted:

Thy Lord knows that thou keepest vigil nearly two-thirds of the night, or a half of it, or a
third of it, and a party of those with thee; and God determines the night and the day. He
knows that you will not number it, and He has turned towards you. Therefore recite of the
Koran so much as is feasible. He knows that some of you are sick, and others journeying in
the land, seeking the bounty of God, and others fighting in the way of God. So recite of it so
much as is feasible. And perform the prayer, and pay the alms, and lend to God a good loan.
Whatever good you shall forward to your souls' account, you shall find it with God as better,
and mightier a wage. And ask God's forgiveness; God is All-forgiving, All-compassionate.
Basically don't take the nightly prayer too seriously. Just do as much as you can without it causing a hindrance to your daily life. Also a general theme in the Quran is that rituals are just that: rituals. And shouldn't actually cause any sort of severe burden on you.
Al-Muddathir tomorrow. It's supposedly one of the most important ones, and has an almost identical name to today's surrah.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Mandy Thompson posted:

The Supreme Being does tell us what to do and we don't stick our fingers in our ears but we understand that while the Bible and presumably the Koran are to be taken seriously, it is not always literal. They were also written centuries ago for a different audience who lived in the bronze age in more brutal times and were not as culturally developed and needed things explained to them in a different way. We can all speak to God and form our own conclusions taking the Bible in to consideration. I don't know about the Koran but early Christians also cherry picked. There are whole books of the bible that were left aside as heresies for one reason or another and Revelation was almost one of them. Perhaps they were meant for us. It is up to all of us to seek God for ourselves.

this is why specifying religious belief beyond "i believe in a non zero number of gods" is always a terrible made up mess~

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Just letting you know I appreciate the Quran posts and am looking forward to the next.

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

Schizotek posted:

* The Khan translation, being so lovely, inserts a reference to "polytheists" here, which is basically a pejorative way in that commentary of saying Christian. The word is a pretty generic sinner/criminal catch-all term in arabic. Just gotta remember to gently caress the infidels, though.

Wrong. 'Polytheists' refer to the old/non-Abrahamic religions that were dominant in the peninsula before Islam among the Arabic tribes. Basically, it extends that back and overlaps it with the usual biblical scripture regarding the end of the days and the anti-christ. It does not refer to Christianity at all. Seperately, the book deals with Christianity and Judaism as the books of God and goes as much to name the followers of Christianity and Judaism as 'the people of the book'. Theologically, Islam establishes itself as the natural successor to the line of mythology that came along through Abraham and the book is supposed to supercede Judaism and Christianity.

The issue with most of the translations of Quran and the analysis of Islam by the English speakers is that those who conducted it are often West-centric themselves and this generally manifests as confusion and bias in the translation of what already is a very vague, very symbolical body of text.

Note: Allah is the biblical God. Allah literally means 'The God' in Arabic, it's not a separate or fancy word for some independent Islamic deity as I often notice Westerners seem to think. Islam, both in essence and in doctrine, is Judaism and Christianity combined and adapted to the Arabic culture at the time.

almighty fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 21, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's always funny to me explaining to American Christians that Arab Christians say "allah akbar" as well.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

almighty posted:

Note: Allah is the biblical God. Allah literally means 'The God' in Arabic, it's not a separate or fancy word for some independent Islamic deity as I often notice Westerners seem to think.

Only the crushingly uneducated and stupid think this.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-24516181

quote:

A Malaysian court has ruled that non-Muslims cannot use the word Allah to refer to God, even in their own faiths, overturning a 2009 lower court ruling.

Not trying to argue anything, just pointing out that the bigotry can be mutual.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Only the crushingly uneducated and stupid think this.

This thread is so great :munch:

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Yeah, people don't believe me when I explain the most simple of concepts, that Allah is Arabic for God and they believe Jesus, Moses etc were prophets too. Some people get very angry about this fact. Very angry.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Friendly Tumour posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-24516181

Not trying to argue anything, just pointing out that the bigotry can be mutual.

Malaysia trying to tie Malay to being Muslim and ethnicize the religion is really weird.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

almighty posted:

Wrong. 'Polytheists' refer to the old/non-Abrahamic religions that were dominant in the peninsula before Islam among the Arabic tribes. Basically, it extends that back and overlaps it with the usual biblical scripture regarding the end of the days and the anti-christ. It does not refer to Christianity at all. Seperately, the book deals with Christianity and Judaism as the books of God and goes as much to name the followers of Christianity and Judaism as 'the people of the book'. Theologically, Islam establishes itself as the natural successor to the line of mythology that came along through Abraham and the book is supposed to supercede Judaism and Christianity.

You are talking about the term "mushrik;" the verse uses the word "mujrim" (criminal, sinner in other translations) which the Khan translation helpfully guides us to read it as polytheists. I don't know what the Khan translation means by the term polytheists generally, but I do know that in some schools of thought Christianity has been regarded as shirk due to things such as the Trinity or intercession of saints. And Salafists accuse all manner of things as shirk, from Sufism to democracy.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

man nobody nice hates on sufism sufis are chill af

this is another point in the direction of "salafists are a dreadfully un-nice bunch", i suppose

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Malaysia is a hosed up country.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Fizzil posted:

Malaysia trying to tie Malay to being Muslim and ethnicize the religion is really weird.

That's how it works in Malaysia. Ethnic Malays have a slight majority nationwide (an overwhelming majority in most east-coast states), with Chinese and Indians (mostly Tamils) comprising the rest of Malaysians. Malays are the only group of the three that is overwhelmingly Muslim, and yield almost all political power. Ethnic Chinese Malaysians are economically powerful, and periodically scapegoated by Malays in large-scale rioting. In the context of Malaysia, Malay ethnicity and Islam and political power are inextricably entwined.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

The Islamic aspect of Malay identity is particularly weird when you consider they also have an ethnic category of Bumiputra, which is basically all the indigenous people of the are regardless of religion. Then you get weird assertions of Malay supremacy groups pushing for more laws or social programmes to privilige Malays and get more money to them based off statistics about the standard of wealth among the Bumiputra (who are mostly in East Malaysia, Borneo and tend to have far higher poverty rates and much lower income). It's, to an outsider, a very weird set of identities but it's one of the reasons I think that Malays emphasise Islam as part of their ethnic identity in order to distinguish them from other indigenous groups.

Also fyi to anyone who didn't read the article, the Bibles in question were Malay language Catholic bibles distributed to the Catholic communities in East Malaysia. Since Malay uses Arabic terms for God, they refer to him as Allah. The religious courts declared that using the name Allah profaned Islam and could lead Muslims astray by making them think Catholicism worships the same God and so they could convert. I really don't understand where they were coming from on that since aside from the conversion thing they're literally saying there are similarities between Islam and Christianity they don't want people to be aware of.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sethex posted:

I wish more muslims were like Usama Hasan, man believes in human evolution and is routinely calling for some form of reform in Islamic ideology. Yeah he's still a Muslim and it baffles me that someone who is open minded and well educated with respect to the Quran and Hadith's would continue to believe, but at least he's innocuous and trying to bring Islam into the modern world.

There are plenty, but they are routinely drowned out, and not by the people you'd expect.

quote:

Not all Muslims wish to express themselves in public through a communal religious identity. Identities are multiple, and some may wish to speak instead just as citizens in their professional capacity, through their political party, or their neighborhood body. Those Muslim who do speak through their communal religious identity are not homogenous. This particularly holds true because majoritarian Islam has no organized clergy, and no pope. The question of religious “representation” becomes particularly difficult to achieve as a result. And in its most extreme sense it is undesirable anyway, leading logically to nothing but ISIS-style bloodshed and theocracy. Muslim “credibility” is just as flimsy an idea to pursue doggedly. In fact, this is nothing but a variant of the African-American “not black enough” theme. Who decides whose “Muslim experience” is real, and whose is not? Is the credible Muslim only he who dresses in Arab robes, eats spicy food and drinks cava? And yet we then worry about profiling?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/08/08/the-british-left-s-hypocritical-embrace-of-islamism.html

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Malaysia has money, so their wealth went to their head, so another century of unwarranted peace in Asia, and the Malays will go full bore Saudi.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

V. Illych L. posted:

man nobody nice hates on sufism sufis are chill af

this is another point in the direction of "salafists are a dreadfully un-nice bunch", i suppose

Sufism has been hella co-opted in a lot of places.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oh, all the moderate Muslims have been stoned. :ms:

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

So what the gently caress exactly is the justification given by Iran for burying women deeper and making it much harder for them to escape?

Hammurabi fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 11, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Hammurabi posted:

So what the gently caress exactly is the justification given by Iran for burying women deeper and making it much harder for them to escape?

wimmin are inferior. I think it was similar for trial by combat in mediaeval Europe.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

wimmin are inferior. I think it was similar for trial by combat in mediaeval Europe.

Other way around at least in some cases:

http://www.aemma.org/onlineResources/trial_by_combat/combat_man_and_woman.htm

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Hammurabi posted:

So what the gently caress exactly is the justification given by Iran for burying women deeper and making it much harder for them to escape? using stoning as punishment in the first place?

Fixed that for you.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I am okay with women bludgeoning their accusers and/or accusees to death in trial by combat. This is clearly the enlightened way to settle disputes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Hammurabi posted:

You got to hide their boobs.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Mattress posted:

You got to hide their boobs.

Stoning is usually over adultery and Iran cares about boobs a lot, so that probably has something to do with it.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Obviously this isn't me throwing out an "all refugees are fundie idiots" but the obvious is routinely lost on a lot of the Islamist apologists in this thread, so the obvious must be stated.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33999801

I hope taking in the refugees doesn't turn into a fantastic poo poo show where by Isis sleepers and religious radicals gently caress up the Muslim public relations effort but I'm going to reserve my optimism.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Sethex posted:

Obviously this isn't me throwing out an "all refugees are fundie idiots" but the obvious is routinely lost on a lot of the Islamist apologists in this thread, so the obvious must be stated.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33999801

I hope taking in the refugees doesn't turn into a fantastic poo poo show where by Isis sleepers and religious radicals gently caress up the Muslim public relations effort but I'm going to reserve my optimism.

There's already plenty of ISIS-sympathizers and Salafi/Wahabbi radicals in Germany. The big/relevant question is how to prevent German Salafi/Wahabbi cavemen from radicalizing refugees, not the other way around.

Same goes for Sweden, although I'm not aware of any direct Salafi outreach/dawah programs specifically targeting refugees there (as of yet).

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

There's already plenty of ISIS-sympathizers and Salafi/Wahabbi radicals in Germany. The big/relevant question is how to prevent German Salafi/Wahabbi cavemen from radicalizing refugees, not the other way around.

Same goes for Sweden, although I'm not aware of any direct Salafi outreach/dawah programs specifically targeting refugees there (as of yet).

Here is exactly how not to prevent radicalization:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...d-10495082.html

I sincerely doubt the Saudi effort to radicalize refugees is going to get any opposition from Europe's left.

Sadly the new left views criticism of anything religious as a manifestation of bigotry.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 12, 2015

• Locked thread