Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

grymwulf posted:

If your heaviest month was 15GB, then I'd personally stay on the 30GB plan you have. You never know when you might have a bad month and go over again - and it's $15 per 1 GB of overage charges.

Also as an FYI - don't remember if this has been posted before, but AT&T has a publicly accessible tool for their sales people here:

http://www.myattmst.com/MST-HOME.html

Includes calculators, listing of promos - etc.

This is awesome. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Boy, they sure push their home security service hard every time I go into the ATT store.

And DirectTV which is a bit of a joke since they sold their landline business in CT so they don't even offer Internet at all.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Just so everyone knows, the OP is HEAVILY outdated now.

If anyone is interested in taking over, I'll retire this thread. Otherwise, carry on.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

hotsauce posted:

Breathing room is nice, but saving $30 is nice too (pay $160 all in now after FAN for 3 lines, would be $130 after).

FWIW, I called AT&T retentions about matching Verizon's 18 for $100 promo and they just gave me 20 for $100.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

gohmak posted:

I have two grandfathered unlimited data lines. If they give me a discount for buying on Next I would have no issue giving up the 2 year subsidy.

Yeah, but ATT will unfortunately never do this. It'll be switch to new plans or gently caress you.

smackfu posted:

Boy, they sure push their home security service hard every time I go into the ATT store.

And DirectTV which is a bit of a joke since they sold their landline business in CT so they don't even offer Internet at all.

In most stores if employee miss pitching the home security and DTV with 3 customers they get put on a write up. Basically, pitch to every customer no exception or we will do whatever we can to fire you.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Beefstorm posted:

Just so everyone knows, the OP is HEAVILY outdated now.

If anyone is interested in taking over, I'll retire this thread. Otherwise, carry on.

Maybe post a warning at the top of the frontpage? and/or post that nifty link from gyrmwulf: http://www.myattmst.com/MST-HOME.html

Thanks for doing this thread though. It's been helpful.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, but ATT will unfortunately never do this. It'll be switch to new plans or gently caress you.

In most stores if employee miss pitching the home security and DTV with 3 customers they get put on a write up. Basically, pitch to every customer no exception or we will do whatever we can to fire you.

What should I do now that the gravy train is over?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Question about GoPhone plans - I'm going to be in Europe next month so I don't get any phone service when I'm there. What happens if someone tries to call me? Will they get my voicemail or nothing?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gohmak posted:

What should I do now that the gravy train is over?

Well, I don't think they'll force you off the plan, it'll just be like verizon most likely: only allowed to buy phones outright. Whether that is worth unlimited data is up to you.

actionjackson posted:

Question about GoPhone plans - I'm going to be in Europe next month so I don't get any phone service when I'm there. What happens if someone tries to call me? Will they get my voicemail or nothing?

I guess it would go to voicemail since it just wouldn't work?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gohmak posted:

I have two grandfathered unlimited data lines. If they give me a discount for buying on Next I would have no issue giving up the 2 year subsidy.

They do give you a discount for buying on Next.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Endless Mike posted:

how much?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Nope, not on the older unlimited plans. They just add the cost on the phone.

So a family plan of two for unlimited data was usually:

$70 for 700 minutes
$30 for unlimited text
$30 + $30 for each unlimited data
Total of $160.

With that $160 monthly you got a discounted phone every two years. However, if a customer on that plan opts for Next, they just tack the installment plan on top.

You are correct that the new plans are (as an example):
$100 for 15GB of data
$40 + $40, BUT you get a $25 discount per line for being on next (for paying outright for the phone).

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Duckman2008 posted:

Nope, not on the older unlimited plans. They just add the cost on the phone.

So a family plan of two for unlimited data was usually:

$70 for 700 minutes
$30 for unlimited text
$30 + $30 for each unlimited data
Total of $160.

With that $160 monthly you got a discounted phone every two years. However, if a customer on that plan opts for Next, they just tack the installment plan on top.

You are correct that the new plans are (as an example):
$100 for 15GB of data
$40 + $40, BUT you get a $25 discount per line for being on next (for paying outright for the phone).

The unlimited data and 23% FAN is the only reason I will stay with ATT

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

gohmak posted:

The unlimited data and 23% FAN is the only reason I will stay with ATT

I have other reasons (i.e. in bumfuck nowhere? LTE full bars full speed motherfucker!) but my 23% FAN is a seriously nice perk as well. Toyed with T-Mobile a while back, lasted 6 days. EDGE/no data in rural parts of the West, basically a flip phone for days. Noped the hell outta there.

Coverage is tits and that's all that really matters at the end of the day.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 12, 2015

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Yeah but paying $650 instead of $200 + $45 for a new iPhone without a kickback hurts. I am seriously considering T-Mobile once my other line's contract is up.

One more hour and I still don't know what plan. Apple's 24, Next 20 or just put an unlocked on a card.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh
I have an iPhone 6 on Next 12 and I'm looking to move to a 6S Plus. Can I do the trade-in at an AT&T store or do I need to order online? The wrinkle with the second option is that my account's billing address is across the country and Apple/AT&T only allow shipping to that address.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
So there is an option to get the 6S for $199 2 year contract if you order on ATT site

gohmak fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 12, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How likely will 2 year contracts be gone year? I re-upped my grandfathered "unlimited" data (really 5gb) last September and I would be willing to do an early upgrade to the 6S to keep contract pricing for another 2 years.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Currently am on the unlimited plan-went to upgrade from a iphone 5s today to a 6s 64gb.

The apple store app would only allow me to do a Next contract or pay in full.

The ATT website would only allow me to pay in full. I spoke to a representative and she said they are no longer doing 2-year contracts. I can pay for the phone @ 24.97 a month or pay for it in full.

I also asked, that my current monthly charge (I'm in the last month of my old 2-year contract) is 87/month. She said my monthly bill would go up by 24.97 a month...so that doesn't make any sense. I'm currently paying 87/month, and that's with a 2-year contract. I would expect, if I went to month to month after this (keeping my 5s), that my bill might go down a bit, but she didn't say it would.

Any ideas what my options here are?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

nwin posted:

I also asked, that my current monthly charge (I'm in the last month of my old 2-year contract) is 87/month. She said my monthly bill would go up by 24.97 a month...so that doesn't make any sense. I'm currently paying 87/month, and that's with a 2-year contract. I would expect, if I went to month to month after this (keeping my 5s), that my bill might go down a bit, but she didn't say it would.

Your bill on the unlimited plan doesn't go down after you finish your 2 year contract. There's no discount for month to month unless you switch to a mobile share plan.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

nwin posted:

Currently am on the unlimited plan-went to upgrade from a iphone 5s today to a 6s 64gb.

The apple store app would only allow me to do a Next contract or pay in full.

The ATT website would only allow me to pay in full. I spoke to a representative and she said they are no longer doing 2-year contracts. I can pay for the phone @ 24.97 a month or pay for it in full.

I just went throught the same thing. If you log in to your att.com account and then check your upgrade eligibility, and choose the 6s preorder you should see 2 year contract in the "Select pricing" section.

If it doesn't show up you might not be out of contract yet.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Also, as a separate comment, I haven't looked at carrier practices lately but is everyone basically getting rid of subsidized phones? It seems ridiculous if you could have a 2 year contract and pay $399 for a 128gb 6S you would want to pay $840-something over 2 years which is what you'd spend on Next.

Is this just a grandfathered thing for me because I've had an account with AT&T forever?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Blinkz0rz posted:

I just went throught the same thing. If you log in to your att.com account and then check your upgrade eligibility, and choose the 6s preorder you should see 2 year contract in the "Select pricing" section.

If it doesn't show up you might not be out of contract yet.

This must be what happened. My contract is officially up on September 20th, I believe.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Blinkz0rz posted:

Also, as a separate comment, I haven't looked at carrier practices lately but is everyone basically getting rid of subsidized phones? It seems ridiculous if you could have a 2 year contract and pay $399 for a 128gb 6S you would want to pay $840-something over 2 years which is what you'd spend on Next.

Is this just a grandfathered thing for me because I've had an account with AT&T forever?

They haven’t gotten rid of it yet, which you would be keenly aware of were you willing to read one page back. Thank you for the unique insight.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blinkz0rz posted:

How so? I've been off contract for a few months now and my bill has stayed exactly the same. If you're saying that once you've paid off your phone on Next your bill goes down, well yeah, that's true. But you've also paid full price for a phone plus full price for a contract rather than a subsidized price for a phone and the full price of the contract. Am I missing something in my math?

In general, you don't get the "no contract" discounts on the grandfathered unlimited plans.

Edit: awful app just messed up my post as an edit. Damnit.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 12, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Once you go off the contract, your monthly prices goes down. So many people seem to ignore that in their math and get confused.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Once you go off the contract, your monthly prices goes down. So many people seem to ignore that in their math and get confused.

Math is hard.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

*sigh* every iPhone launch this happens.

ATT still does two year contracts, but only through online, in company owned stores or over the phone. The reps are incentivized to switch you from older plans, so yes mileage may vary. ATT is likely to kill two year contracts sooner rather than later, but they have not killed them yet.

Yes carriers are moving away from two year contracts. But remember: the iPhone was never $200, it was $200 and then paid for through the plans. In general, the new plans work with non discounted phone, and there is a discount placed on the plan to balance it out. In general, you will get the "no contract" discount whether you buy from the carrier, or from Apple with their new purchase plans. Mileage will vary case by case.

In general, you don't get the "no contract" discounts on the grandfathered unlimited plans. Sorry.

I'm aware of that as it's how I got my phone this morning :3:

I guess the thing that I'm still trying to wrap my head around is that yeah, the plan is what pays off the subsidy, but prices for plans haven't gone down so now you're effectively paying the same price for the same (or worse if you got rid of unlimited data) service and then paying full price for your device on top of that. I can't see how that's a good deal at any point. Am I missing something?

I get why AT&T did it from a business perspective. If I'm the CEO of AT&T why wouldn't I want to get rid of the idea of incentivizing hardware purchases while not offering a discount? It seems weird that it's not a thing they did years and years ago.

smackfu posted:

How so? I've been off contract for a few months now and my bill has stayed exactly the same. If you're saying that once you've paid off your phone on Next your bill goes down, well yeah, that's true. But you've also paid full price for a phone plus full price for a contract rather than a subsidized price for a phone and the full price of the contract. Am I missing something in my math?

Blinkz0rz fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 12, 2015

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

smackfu posted:

This is true for mobile share plans but for anyone on older plans it doesn't work this way.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Blinkz0rz posted:

I'm aware of that as it's how I got my phone this morning :3:

I guess the thing that I'm still trying to wrap my head around is that yeah, the plan is what pays off the subsidy, but prices for plans haven't gone down so now you're effectively paying the same price for the same (or worse if you got rid of unlimited data) service and then paying full price for your device on top of that. I can't see how that's a good deal at any point. Am I missing something?

I get why AT&T did it from a business perspective. If I'm the CEO of AT&T why wouldn't I want to get rid of the idea of incentivizing hardware purchases while not offering a discount? It seems weird that it's not a thing they did years and years ago.

Because the discount doesn't apply to your grandfathered unlimited plan, it applies to the new MOBILE SHARE plans. You do not have a mobile share plan. You have a grandfathered unlimited plan. Grandfathered means you have a plan no longer being offered, which also means that the promotions that apply to new plans don't apply to the old structure by which you made your plan.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Kaizoku posted:

Because the discount doesn't apply to your grandfathered unlimited plan, it applies to the new MOBILE SHARE plans. You do not have a mobile share plan. You have a grandfathered unlimited plan. Grandfathered means you have a plan no longer being offered, which also means that the promotions that apply to new plans don't apply to the old structure by which you made your plan.

Ok I'm in the same boat as blinkzorz, let's see what a difference would make for me:

I currently have an unlimited plan and am the only person on it. Unlimited text, data, and 450 minutes a month plus rollover. With my 15% discount I pay 88/month for that plan.

What plan on the mobile share would be the same, and how much would that plan be? I would also have to pay the additional $25/month for the phone.

Second question is regarding Next contracts. Next24 says I pay 30 payments but can be eligible for a phone after 24 months. What happens to those extra 6 payments if I upgrade to a phone at month 24?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

nwin posted:

Second question is regarding Next contracts. Next24 says I pay 30 payments but can be eligible for a phone after 24 months. What happens to those extra 6 payments if I upgrade to a phone at month 24?

Those extra 6 payments are only if you don't want to upgrade after 24 months. You pay them and the phone is yours forever, or you trade in for a new one and make payments on the new phone.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

nwin posted:

Ok I'm in the same boat as blinkzorz, let's see what a difference would make for me:

I currently have an unlimited plan and am the only person on it. Unlimited text, data, and 450 minutes a month plus rollover. With my 15% discount I pay 88/month for that plan.

What plan on the mobile share would be the same, and how much would that plan be? I would also have to pay the additional $25/month for the phone.

How much data do you use? You could get a 2GB plan for $30 or a 5GB for $50, with an added $25 for 1 phone. That's a total of either $55 or $75/month for unlimited minutes, text, and either 2 or 5GB of data, subtract your FAN discount from that, so you're probably at $45 or 65 or so, although you still need a phone.

There's a reason AT&T is trying to get rid of us. From a certain point of view, it's really funny how desperately we're trying to give money to AT&T.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

nwin posted:

That's the same as me. I use about 5 gb a month and I could get that for the same price on mobile share with next. I didn't see much point in giving up unlimited for no savings so I just did a new 2 year contract.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Residency Evil posted:

How much data do you use? You could get a 2GB plan for $30 or a 5GB for $50, with an added $25 for 1 phone. That's a total of either $55 or $75/month for unlimited minutes, text, and either 2 or 5GB of data, subtract your FAN discount from that, so you're probably at $45 or 65 or so, although you still need a phone.

There's a reason AT&T is trying to get rid of us. From a certain point of view, it's really funny how desperately we're trying to give money to AT&T.

I'm averaging around 3gb/month, but have gone as high as 6.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I guess it would go to voicemail since it just wouldn't work?

The reason I ask is because I'm looking for a new job and I want to change my voice-mail during that time to instruct any recruiters to contact me by email during that time. Hence I want to make sure they will at least get my voice-mail

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

The reason I ask is because I'm looking for a new job and I want to change my voice-mail during that time to instruct any recruiters to contact me by email during that time. Hence I want to make sure they will at least get my voice-mail

I may have a better solution for you: Create a google voice account, give that number to everyone, and you can check voicemails and call over wifi from overseas.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Josh Lyman posted:

How likely will 2 year contracts be gone year? I re-upped my grandfathered "unlimited" data (really 5gb) last September and I would be willing to do an early upgrade to the 6S to keep contract pricing for another 2 years.

They stopped indiscriminately throttling at 5GB. You only get throttled on peak hours if you reach 5GB

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

nwin posted:

I pay $145/month for 2 unlimited data lines, 700 rollover minutes shared, unlimited text, -23% FAN. With the amount of data we use an equivilent Mobile Share/Next plan would cost north of $300/month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I may have a better solution for you: Create a google voice account, give that number to everyone, and you can check voicemails and call over wifi from overseas.

So if I get a google voice account, I can port my mobile number to that, then use the hangouts dialer to make and receive calls over wi-fi when I'm overseas?