Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I'm questing the Incandescent Mask and I just ran to Neriak to buy Mizr N'Mars Rune of Fortune there, but he doesn't seem to be carrying it. Do you guys know how merchant stock works on P1999? Will I have to wait for a server reset now before he has a new Rune of Fortune, or is it eight hours, or seven minutes, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Kefit posted:

I'm currently poking around the Overthere as my first experience with Kunark. Might try the Warslick's Woods giant fort soon. As far as I can tell from the wiki, as a barb shaman there's basically nowhere at all for me to sell and bank aside from Firiona Vie, which is super far away and a dangerous trip. What are my options for taking care of loot here?

I think the iksar merchant in OT sells to everyone. He can be found 2 minutes from the Warsilks wood zoneline near the dried lake. (Roamers may interrupt your vending experience, keep an out for them)

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

I should be on on blue this afternoon. I have a mule in the EC tunnel that I think can invite to guild as well as characters around Cabillis if anyone needs invites.

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013
My eyes can't take ECT any longer so I'm gonna ask here. Looking to buy a Shaman weapon, have 139PP.

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

Gonna port over to EC now if anyone is around to invite me. Character name is Fharlaghn

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Red check-in!

Gonna do some unrest, starting around lvls 10-12, sent a tell to Willcat if you want in.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
I'm on swashy right now if you need an invite, my inviter is parked at NFP bank.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Red Check-in:

Unrest group at 16, send tell to Willcat if youre on!

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013

I Love You! posted:

Red Check-in:

Unrest group at 16, send tell to Willcat if youre on!

Groups done? Just saw you got within my range.

Ashenden fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 13, 2015

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I've spent the last four or five hours getting everything for the Stein of Moggok. Now I've discovered I won't be able to go turn in the stuff in Ogguk but I'm probably KOS there. Is there a way for an Erudite without illusion spells to get in there to turn it in? Grinding rep (on what?) for hours? Getting someone else to cast it on me and booking it? Any ideas?

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master

Pathos posted:

I've spent the last four or five hours getting everything for the Stein of Moggok. Now I've discovered I won't be able to go turn in the stuff in Ogguk but I'm probably KOS there. Is there a way for an Erudite without illusion spells to get in there to turn it in? Grinding rep (on what?) for hours? Getting someone else to cast it on me and booking it? Any ideas?

I think frogs give ogre faction if memory serves, not sure what faction quest turn in is on though

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013

Kalaxus posted:

I think frogs give ogre faction if memory serves, not sure what faction quest turn in is on though

Surprisingly they don't, at least the lower level ones. If you're an enchanter, Illusion: Dark Elf at level 12 will let you finish it. Maybe somebody helping out by getting you there with invis and charming the NPC would work as well?

Looked it up, there are no mobs that raise faction with the Oggok Guards and pretty much all the quests to raise it are from people inside Oggok, looks tough for the classic fix my faction with everyone quest.

Ashenden fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 13, 2015

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Shared wolf form also gives indifferent faction to many NPCs

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Doesn't invisibility turn npcs faction neutral?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Pathos posted:

The turn-in mob is on his own faction (Clurg) which can be raised, but it's hardly worth the effort for a stein. Ultimately, steins are pretty cheap to buy since it's easy for enchanters to do the quest at very low levels, so EC is pretty much the best route for any non-enchanter. If you really want to do it on your own, the previously mentioned shared wolf form or charm attempts would be your best bet. Clurg is level 40 so it's going to need to be a decently high level enc/bard if you go the charm route.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pathos posted:

Wolf form will do it for sure, but I'm not high enough level to cast shared yet.

Erdricks posted:

Yeah I think you can do that but then when you turn in the quest you'll turn visible and they'll kill you. Its costly but one way to do it I guess.

If it was any easier, people would sell steins all day. They already do. As-is, its a way for enchanters mostly to make money selling them to other people. If you're a non-chanter its easier to just buy one, but yeah you can get wolf form to do it too.

Seems silly to me that enchanters never get the ability to illusion other players. Like at a few levels higher they should get shared illusions.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 13, 2015

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

Meatgrinder posted:

I'm questing the Incandescent Mask and I just ran to Neriak to buy Mizr N'Mars Rune of Fortune there, but he doesn't seem to be carrying it. Do you guys know how merchant stock works on P1999? Will I have to wait for a server reset now before he has a new Rune of Fortune, or is it eight hours, or seven minutes, or what?

You may have figured this out already but I'm pretty sure with that particular quest you have to just hand him the 50 gold coins and he gives it to you.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Red Server Check-in!

Mistmoore group forming now, lvls 18+ish. Stop on by and message Willcat for invite!

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Hmm... alright. Sounds like I should just work on getting the money to buy one, then. That's frustrating. I literally got everything else required for the quest (which took a long time, dammit) but there's not much to be done about that. As a non-enchanter and the required item being NO TRADE it seems like I don't really have any other choice. Ugh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
You could probably find some druid that's chilling in tunnel, get them to port over to ferrott and share wolf form with you and run it in. You'd have to get them to cast it on you after you zone in, but you could probably find somebody willing to do it for cheaper than the full cost of a stein.

Just use /who and look for high-level druids who ain't got anything better going on lol

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 13, 2015

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
My garbage druid alt is only 31 or I'd hook you up. It's a 39 spell.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Good bet there's like 100 bored Druids on the server at any time, certainly one of them wouldn't mind hooking you up.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Stein guy what's your character name? I can wolf form you!

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013

a real jerk posted:

God you're such a jerk.

I eat low hanging fruits.

Ashenden fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 14, 2015

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

a real jerk posted:

his ign is cryhaug

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

his ign is cryhaug

Beat me to it. Yep, that's me. I'll be on in a few minutes most likely.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

a real jerk posted:

This just in: a real jerk is loving awesome. Got my Stein!

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
Good to hear dude. Goons helping goons :3:

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

the last signal... posted:

You may have figured this out already but I'm pretty sure with that particular quest you have to just hand him the 50 gold coins and he gives it to you.

Yup, when I hit up Madame Selena in Qeynos I noticed she had no shop and I figured it out. The confusion came from the p1999 wiki where the item is listed among his vendored items. Thanks though! I have my pretty new mask now :)

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013
EQ client and ticks are so strange. Mana seems checked by the server a bit after the displayed tick, right? So if you stand up right after you see yourself gain mana you'll lose it as if you had been standing, and on the flip side you can sit down when you see your mana tick up by 1 to gain the full meditate amount. Annoying.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I would guess that what you're seeing is the client is predicting that mana/hp/other values will be raised at a certain rate, which it displays to you. This happens instantaneously but it's just a prediction. On the server, the timing is a little different. Every 6 seconds it steps the world forward and sends out updated values. Since the server is the source of truth the client switches its values to what the server says. In a perfect system this would be more lined up and errors in prediction would be more rare. In my experience the numbers are constantly going up and down as the client gets real updates from the server.

Edit: I believe there's a way to see when a server tick, i.e. an update from the server, has been received. I think it's the "lag bar" displayed in the top right. It jumps or something. I forget what indication it gives and can't login right now. You'd probably want to stand up after you see a tick happen to get the most benefit. Just a guess though.

Summit fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 14, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I've posted about that phenomenon before. I think its actually more of an issue of using the modern client with P1999 servers, the client expects different values so its constantly being corrected by the P1999 values. In theory the P1999 modified files should account for that, but it doesn't seem to work out most of the time.

Its not simply that sometimes you're sitting when the client calculates and then you stand up and then the server gets the wrong value, if anything that'd probably happen backwards because the client would have more up-to-date information, so you'd have a scenario where you're standing and then you sit down right as it ticks, and the client calculates a full med tick since you're sitting but the server didn't yet get the sitting update packet so it calculates standing mana and then finds out you sit down after, and then corrects the client on how much mana was gained.

It could be a lot of things really, but whatever the cause its definitely a bit messy.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yep, it's something you can get used to and use to your advantage if you deal with it enough (canni-dancing as a shaman, sitting to med during ticks while kiting/quadding), but you always have to leave a second or two of sitting time on each side of the tick to be sure you won't miss it. Having DOT dmg messages popping up in your client can help a lot as they get sent on ticks.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
I spent all day yesterday doing Necromancer Skullcap Apprentice 1 and 2, how badly did I waste my time? looking ahead in 8 more levels if I grind up 2 crafting skills I currently have 0 in and find some lore drops I can get a +2 Int hat at level 14ish, need a guide on which quests are complete waste of time, which are must dos and which are quirky interesting side fun with no real reward.

Now I have an Iksar Necro level 6 named Soultrader, one sitting even with quest nonsense nearly caught me up to my DE SK who limped to 7 in like 5 sittings.

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013
I've been using it to meditate while on the move in KT, sitting down for about half a second after I see my client tick mana to get the full amount then continuing moving. So that's kind of useful at least. Would rather it were just accurate though obviously. Too bad.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master

Erdricks posted:

I tried this back in Classic, the NPC couldn't "hear" me while invis. no response to quest keywords and if they are merchant activating them turns you visible and they kill you. According to allakazam forum If the quest doesn't need speech first you can turn in the items, which counts as activating them and breaks invis but quest is done try to die in area for easy corpse looting hehe

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kalaxus posted:

I spent all day yesterday doing Necromancer Skullcap Apprentice 1 and 2, how badly did I waste my time? looking ahead in 8 more levels if I grind up 2 crafting skills I currently have 0 in and find some lore drops I can get a +2 Int hat at level 14ish, need a guide on which quests are complete waste of time, which are must dos and which are quirky interesting side fun with no real reward.

Now I have an Iksar Necro level 6 named Soultrader, one sitting even with quest nonsense nearly caught me up to my DE SK who limped to 7 in like 5 sittings.

Honest answer: pretty big waste of time (though honestly so is literally everything in this videogame, so if you had fun doing the quest who gives a gently caress)

Edit: well, the Cabilis quests can have good results later on, and I think you have to do each step of the quest before you can do the next, so maybe not such a waste of time in the long run :) Course you could always do it later when you one-shot all these low level mobs.

Join the guild, beg for us to give you a few hundred PP, then you can buy gear that gives you much more than just +2 int.

Then focus on just getting more XP, if anything casters are far less gear dependent than melee. Save most of your plat for new spells, they'll give you huge bang for your buck. Always buy your new spells, and as long as you can afford them don't sweat it.

If you can get up to like level 15 you can start making some serious pp off bronze weapons on aviaks or sisters. If you can get up to more like 30 then you have way more options and you'll be making way more money.

The amount of money you can make is directly correlated with your level, so if you're a low level caster just focus on getting levels.
Meanwhile if you're melee, re-roll a caster, get several levels, earn money, twink your melee, and then go back to leveling melee :cheeky:

I wouldn't even really bother getting gear that isn't in this list:
http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Pre_Planar_Gear#Necromancer
For the most part just focus on getting levels, as boring as that is.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 14, 2015

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

If you can get up to like level 15 you can start making some serious pp off bronze weapons on aviaks or sisters. If you can get up to more like 30 then you have way more options and you'll be making way more money.

Which Aviaks are those at 15? Anywhere nearby for evils to sell? How is the exp? I could use some money and Kurn's Tower is pretty ridiculously overpopulated. Though it's still great experience.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ashenden posted:

Which Aviaks are those at 15? Anywhere nearby for evils to sell? How is the exp? I could use some money and Kurn's Tower is pretty ridiculously overpopulated. Though it's still great experience.

I'm not sure exactly what level they are or where you can sell, I haven't done em myself, but people talk about em all the time. I'm pretty sure there's a vendor around somewhere, no clue about evil friendliness though somebody else can speak up.

Lake Rathetear, near the arena zoneline. Aviaks should be level 8-12. (Guards are apparently 16-20)

E: Looks like there's an Ogre merchant in zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013
Uggrut should chime in on the Rathe area, he's been leveling there for a while now.