Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
How suitable is l5r for multiplayer games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zombie #246 posted:

How suitable is l5r for multiplayer games?

For the first 10 or so years, it was designed heavily with multiplayer in mind.

I can't speak to the last 5 years.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
So, had my third play-through of Forbidden Stars... game gets better and better with repeated play. Production quality is top notch, asymmetrical factions seem really well balanced and the combat mechanisms allow just enough unpredictability that combat isn't a forgone conclusion, but isn't full of random dice fuckery either. Rulebook has some issues, and play time is long, but this game is tightly designed and interesting both at the strategic and tactical level.. Caveat is that I've not played the StarCraft boardgame, but I don't care. This is more than good enough. Top 5 game for me, will play it anytime.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

The End posted:

So, had my third play-through of Forbidden Stars... game gets better and better with repeated play. Production quality is top notch, asymmetrical factions seem really well balanced and the combat mechanisms allow just enough unpredictability that combat isn't a forgone conclusion, but isn't full of random dice fuckery either. Rulebook has some issues, and play time is long, but this game is tightly designed and interesting both at the strategic and tactical level.. Caveat is that I've not played the StarCraft boardgame, but I don't care. This is more than good enough. Top 5 game for me, will play it anytime.

Agreed. Itching to play, but the AP of one of our core players has given the game a bad rap. Will have to find a fourth.

Did you end up building your own board? Thoughts?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

The Mantis posted:

Agreed. Itching to play, but the AP of one of our core players has given the game a bad rap. Will have to find a fourth.

Still training up new players, so just used the default board. There's 5 of us in my group who've played it now, so hopefully the next session will see a scratch built board.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I'm going to a bucks night in a few weeks and was going to pick up a copy of Skull as a drinking game. Looks like it's out of print and resellers are wanting $50 for it. Obviously it's really simple to homebrew with a deck of cards, but theoretically by not having identical roses you can infer information. I ran across someone's ingenious solution online to proxy identical Magic The Gathering land cards (black as the skull, red for the roses). Dirt cheap, available at most game stores and works a treat.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The Mantis posted:

Building a new board is remarkably quick and leads to a whole new level of "oh bugger, my plan contains a fundamental flaw"

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

dishwasherlove posted:

Obviously it's really simple to homebrew with a deck of cards, but theoretically by not having identical roses you can infer information.

Can you explain this to me? I'm having a hard time figuring out how this would work unless someone is sorting their hand?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Brought codenames to a party last night, people didn't want to stop playing. Stayed up until like 2:30 playing it. Game's awesome.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I played Pictomania tonight, it's really loving good. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Codenames.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Foehammer posted:

Can you explain this to me? I'm having a hard time figuring out how this would work unless someone is sorting their hand?

Counting roses could help you realize your opponent has no skull in hand.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Ahh, gotcha. So unless I'm careful to *always* play my roses in such a way that the same ones are being revealed, it shows that I am still holding a previously revealed one.

Still seems like picking up 3 identical decks of playing cards from a gas station should only run you a few bucks, and then you could make matching triplets of "roses".

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

Uhh, what rules are you playing by? You know if someone lost their skull once you see all their cards. It doesn't matter which roses they have left or not.

Edit: ok I see what you're saying now. It won't matter for one hand but over several you could track that.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

PopZeus posted:

Uhh, what rules are you playing by? You know if someone lost their skull once you see all their cards. It doesn't matter which roses they have left or not.

It would reveal it earlier.

Example: I am down to my last 2 roses, 2:h: and 3:h:. My opponents are unsure if I have a skull left or not.

Turn 1: I play my 2:h:, but the bidding starts, allowing me to keep my 3:h: concealed. As part of the reveal, my 2:h: is turned over.

Turn 2: Turn 2 plays the same as Turn 1, except I am an idiot and put down my 3:h: Once it is revealed, any of my opponents who have been drinking less than me now know that I have no skull left in my hand.

This would be remedied if *all* of my roses were identical cards.

e: It just occurred to me that Sushi Go! contains the right components to make a 10 player game of skull, plus you'd own another good game.

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 12, 2015

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Personally I think it would be fun to get arts and crafty about it and get some cheap cork coasters from a craft store and make your own set. Maybe carve a potato stamp or buy some decals if your drawing hand isn't steady enough to make identical roses.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Bubble-T posted:

I played Pictomania tonight, it's really loving good. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Codenames.

Brought pictomania too, since a we are all in the mountains for a weekend it's going to be a blast(they've played it before and loved it)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

quote:

CMON games suck

Mostly, yeah. Dogs of War is not terrible though.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I hear Blood Rage is good too.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I kickstarted B-Sieged and I regret it deeply already

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I kickstarted B-Sieged and I regret it deeply already

I'm sure you've made worse purchasing decisions :v:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
could have had so many fortune cards for that money :(

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Twilight Struggle question: Do high level players actually use realignment rolls? I've only played the game about 6 or 7 times now, and only with new players, but for the life of me I've never been in a situation where it seemed like an optimal move. It does concern me, however, to ignore a central mechanic like that and it makes me think that I'm approaching something the wrong way.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The End posted:

After a lot of plays I do feel the Orks are a little stronger. I think it is because for the most part the spaceships aren't used very much - orbital bombardments are only common from Eldar players with a certain order upgrade.

It means that their focus on having really strong units and cards can often mean they're a real pain in two player games.
I don't see it in larger games, just two player ones.

The Ork cards make such a difference that all our regular players know their names. Party Wagon and Biker Nobs strike fear into everyone's hearts.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Big McHuge posted:

Twilight Struggle question: Do high level players actually use realignment rolls? I've only played the game about 6 or 7 times now, and only with new players, but for the life of me I've never been in a situation where it seemed like an optimal move. It does concern me, however, to ignore a central mechanic like that and it makes me think that I'm approaching something the wrong way.

Realignment comes into its own in mid- and late-war, when struggling for Africa and the Americas, since you can still realign in those regions on DEFCON 2.

Coups are almost universally superior to realignment, but by mid-war battleground coups should be a rarity due to DEFCON.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Gutter Owl posted:

Realignment comes into its own in mid- and late-war, when struggling for Africa and the Americas, since you can still realign in those regions on DEFCON 2.

Coups are almost universally superior to realignment, but by mid-war battleground coups should be a rarity due to DEFCON.

It's also specifically useful as the US to try to get USSR out of Cuba after Fidel because that really stunts their growth in central America

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Was going to post words but this article is probably better than me.

http://twilightstrategy.com/2013/01/11/general-strategy-realignments/

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Having recently played Twilight Imperium for the first time, how does Forbidden Stars compare? Is it a similar style game at all, just smaller?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Merauder posted:

Having recently played Twilight Imperium for the first time, how does Forbidden Stars compare? Is it a similar style game at all, just smaller?

Forbidden Stars has a greater focus on fighting and resolving combat via cards instead of dice. Plus, unlike TI, you have no commitment to holding your homeworld in order to score objectives if it turns out you can have a better position by abandoning its defense. I'd say they scratch suitably different itches for me.

Fake edit: Oh yeah, each individual unit carries more weight to it in Forbidden Stars and the game runs a hell of a lot shorter than TI could ever hope to.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 12, 2015

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
I have a nascent group I'm trying to drag into deeper/more complex games like Forbidden Stars and the C&C series. We've gotten as far as Smallworld, but there's still a latent desire to get a few rounds of Risk in.

Any tips on making Risk more fun? It's the original, non-legacy, non-2210 version.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What do they like most about Risk?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Your first mistake was playing Small World, I think I'd almost rather play Risk.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

The Mantis posted:

I have a nascent group I'm trying to drag into deeper/more complex games like Forbidden Stars and the C&C series. We've gotten as far as Smallworld, but there's still a latent desire to get a few rounds of Risk in.

Any tips on making Risk more fun? It's the original, non-legacy, non-2210 version.

Might be worth just trying to find a copy of Risk: Legacy. Starts off like normal Risk then evolves into an amazing, personalised strategy game over time.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

INinja132 posted:

Might be worth just trying to find a copy of Risk: Legacy. Starts off like normal Risk then evolves into an amazing, personalised strategy game over time.

ftfy

Risk Legacy is a legit good game. Vanilla Risk is dogshit.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The End posted:

ftfy

Risk Legacy is a legit good game. Vanilla Risk is dogshit.

Risk: Legacy is orders of magnitude better than Risk.

However, whenever I played it, we played to engineer the scenarios that would cause crazy poo poo to happen. Then we oohed and aahed over the changes to the board and repeated for the next scenario.

the game itself wasn't that interesting, we just wanted to see what happened next. Thankfully it's short, but it's still Risk.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Merauder posted:

Entirely different games

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Wandered into a local store today, their stuff is usually hideously overpriced, but they had a single copy of Codenames left for less than MSRP. We've got a decent size but unsuspecting crowd coming over in a couple hours. I'm excited.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I played Codenames for the first time today with 5 strangers. Everybody grasped the concept and rules immediately and enjoyed the gameplay, the interaction, and the post-game analysis. It's definitely the lightest Vlaada game I've ever played, but seems like it would be fun with just about any group.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
That was super fun, sorry we had to jet after the game to another table.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Ah, so that was you! I ended up playing Roll For The Galaxy and Five Tribes after that, so it was a pretty good day of games. What did you think of Terra Mystica?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Had a big games day today for the first time in forever.

First, we played Blood Bowl: Team Manager. I was the Orcs, playing against the Wood Elves, Humans, and Skaven. I ended up being tied with the Skaven player for 1st place, with the wood elf team winning by a fair margin (the guy who played them is like the early 2000s version of Tiger Woods playing boardgames, so I didn't feel too bad). Everyone had a lot of fun and all expressed an interest in playing it again sometime. My only real complaint about the game is it seemed to run a little long (but we might have been slow) and towards the later round there were a lot of little cards and bits to keep track of. Still, a good time was had by all.

Next we played Space Cadets: Dice Duel, mostly because everyone was curious how it would work. My team ended up winning, but everyone had an amazing time. This was the kind of game my neighbors could probably hear with all of the yelling, cheering, and laughing going on. At least twice during the match one of our opponents would yell 'FIRE' just as the helmsman turned them away from us. I manned the weapons, sensors, and tractor beam consoles and was completely overwhelmed for the first 10 minutes or so before things started settling down. Everyone agreed that, even though we all had a great time, the game would be far better with 6 or 8 players (in fact, it's probably one of the few games I can think of that would actually go faster by adding more players). Unfortunately I rarely game with that many people, but this definitely seems like a good game to have around just in case.

We then played some rounds of Love Letter, which is always fun, followed by a 3-player game of Kemet, which I like more every time we play it (of course the same guy who won BB:TM won this game too, but it was still very close). At the end of every game of Kemet I look at the upgrades and see new combinations and possibilities to try. This game I went with a heavy red and blue strategy, and managed to get +2 to attack and defense relatively early. Unfortunately the winner was able to build a good offense and an incredible economy (white cards) which put him over the top. I was a few prayer points (or one action) away from winning it on a turn, and he ended up winning it on the next turn by upgrading 2 pyramids (he had the white card that automatically updated a pyramid every night) and buying a sphinx. Towards the end we even teamed up against him, but despite that he was able to win on the third tie breaker (turn order).