Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Ryan Hall fought on TUF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
It's a good read.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Marcelo vs Keenan @ 540 (cuts are due to camera problems, frustrating but unavoidable)
https://www.facebook.com/273354906180908/videos/479862142196849/

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Yoshida/Moura is starting right now, heads up

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Moura spends the first three minutes working for lapel passes and almost getting them, then goes for a tight armbar that Baret gets a hitchiker escape out of. Baret gets double-unders off the escape, then flips into a reverse/inverted body triangle that he slowly works into a crucifix with about 6 minutes left. He's using the same full crucifix+leg hook position he was doing in the EBI.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
With two minutes left Robson manages to slooooooowly work his way into a deep-half sweep to get on top again.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Nakamura gripfights for a couple minutes before getting Shaolin down, pressures the kneeslide pass, Shaolin eventually gets the sweep, Nakamura instantly resweeps him with a kneebar/backroll, and then Shaolin gets him back down with a single-leg sweep.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Pretty good sequence leads to Shaolin getting the back standing off a pass, dragging Nakamura down, and finishing with one minute left with what looked like an ezekiel choke from the back. Shaolin's single legs were the MVP of the match

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Cummings vs Bodycomb - Started basically as I expected, with Eddie sitting immediately to guard and Bodycomb working standing passes with a very bladed stance. After a couple attempts, Eddie manages to spin into an inverted ashi garami position with full reap. Reilly turned his back and got his non-attacked foot over the attacked foot to buy himself some time, but he was in too compromised a position to get away and Eddie was eventually able to clear the leg and finish the inside heelhook. Bodycomb is good and had a good strategy but Eddie is just way too on point right now.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
LMAO, AJ sitting in Daniel Strauss's guard, takes his mouthpiece out for a second, Strauss grabs it out of his hand and tosses it off the mat

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
So far this match has been 10% guillotines, 10% double legs, and 80% taunting

Also Strauss's upper body is enormous. He looks like a miniature Lister.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Match is a draw, interviewer asks AJ about the guillotines, AJ completely ignores him and calls out Keenan for Polaris 3

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
For all his antics on the mat, AJ has been nothing but nice and respectful in training when he trains with us.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuns posted:

For all his antics on the mat, AJ has been nothing but nice and respectful in training when he trains with us.

He was very respectful of Strauss in the post-fight interview, too.

Hahaha, Interviewer starts talking to Strauss and he repeats the first half of AJ's Keenan callout verbatim and then winks at the crowd

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
WTF!!!!!!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Holy poo poo! Nicollini gets armbarred the same way as Lepri did at ADCC, in less than 30 seconds

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Waiting for her to call out Keenan too.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Holy poo poo! Nicollini gets armbarred the same way as Lepri did at ADCC, in less than 30 seconds

so sick

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuns posted:

Waiting for her to call out Keenan too.

lol

Holy shitx2! Tonon catches Imanari with an inside heel hook. Him and Cummings really are elevating the leg game these days.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
If there's a 5 Guys in London it's about to sell out it's daily stock

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

fatherdog posted:

lol

Holy shitx2! Tonon catches Imanari with an inside heel hook. Him and Cummings really are elevating the leg game these days.

Glad to hear that. When I read that he was cutting to 150 for this match I was worried he'd be too drained to be at his best.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

fatherdog posted:

If there's a 5 Guys in London it's about to sell out it's daily stock
Believe it or not there is Shake Shack and Five Guys in London. So Garry's all set

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It looks like everything fatherdog said about the Danaher/Tonon/Cummings leglock game being the new cutting edge is now empirically proven.

(I will continue to study Reilly because he's a precious angel and I do not expect to be facing world class opposition any time soon)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It looks like everything fatherdog said about the Danaher/Tonon/Cummings leglock game being the new cutting edge is now empirically proven.

(I will continue to study Reilly because he's a precious angel and I do not expect to be facing world class opposition any time soon)

Reilly is still a very good leglock guy with a high level of technical acumen; Cummings is just really firing on all cylinders right now.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I'm a huge fan of Reilly's. Never met him but I really appreciate the way he shows the logic behind his system/workflow and how he approaches grappling. It kinda made me realize how unfocused my current BJJ teacher is in comparison.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Here is a link to the Submission Series Pro event that a lot of you folks might have missed: http://www.submissionseriespro.ca. Was a great event with three of my teammates picking up submissions.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Joe Baize issued a challenge via facebook to Eddie and Garry claiming that they can't leg lock him. Things are getting odd. Now that they have achieved some notoriety, all this weirdness is coming out. There are now all kinds of fanboys and haters coming out of the woodwork to argue about them. And I am seeing videos and articles trying to deconstruct their games.. it is interesting that none use John's terminology. There was one that someone recorded after a seminar that was clearly based on John's stuff since he used John's terminology but they guy took it down at someone's request. But I am really happy that Eddie and Garry are doing well.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Yuns posted:

Joe Baize issued a challenge via facebook to Eddie and Garry claiming that they can't leg lock him. Things are getting odd. Now that they have achieved some notoriety, all this weirdness is coming out. There are now all kinds of fanboys and haters coming out of the woodwork to argue about them. And I am seeing videos and articles trying to deconstruct their games.. it is interesting that none use John's terminology. There was one that someone recorded after a seminar that was clearly based on John's stuff since he used John's terminology but they guy took it down at someone's request. But I am really happy that Eddie and Garry are doing well.

Do you train with them? Do you think they'll ever release an instructional of some kind?

The Danaher myth is pretty interesting to me considering the universal praise he receives yet as far as I know he has a hip injury that has limited his mobility for years/decades.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

origami posted:

Do you train with them? Do you think they'll ever release an instructional of some kind?

The Danaher myth is pretty interesting to me considering the universal praise he receives yet as far as I know he has a hip injury that has limited his mobility for years/decades.
They've been teaching seminars but I haven't asked them if they are putting out an actual instructional. They'd definitely ask John's blessing before doing so and I've never heard John express any interest in putting out any videos. Don't know the mathematics on the economics of doing so. I am a Renzo guy and John is one of my main instructors. He has a bad knee that has resulted in the deterioration of his hip but you would never know it from the way he moves on the mat. He's incredibly precise and fluid. And his conceptual framework for the sport is mindblowing. Over the years, I've repeatedly invited people from here to come visit the academy as my guest but the number of takers has literally been zero.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuns posted:

They've been teaching seminars but I haven't asked them if they are putting out an actual instructional. They'd definitely ask John's blessing before doing so and I've never heard John express any interest in putting out any videos. Don't know the mathematics on the economics of doing so. I am a Renzo guy and John is one of my main instructors. He has a bad knee that has resulted in the deterioration of his hip but you would never know it from the way he moves on the mat. He's incredibly precise and fluid. And his conceptual framework for the sport is mindblowing. Over the years, I've repeatedly invited people from here to come visit the academy as my guest but the number of takers has literally been zero.

I keep meaning to get up there but between work and injuries this year I've barely even made it into RABJJ which is 15 minutes from me, let alone NYC. I'd be really interested to learn about Danaher's leglock system because I do a lot of the same stuff but came to it in completely different ways (I started in no-gi with a bunch of shootfighting/catch/sambo guys).

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Yuns posted:

Over the years, I've repeatedly invited people from here to come visit the academy as my guest but the number of takers has literally been zero.

Is the school in Manhattan? If so - I'll drop by next time I'm in the area. I've only visited NY Combat Sambo so far.

The greater NYC area is spoiled rotten

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

fatherdog posted:

I keep meaning to get up there but between work and injuries this year I've barely even made it into RABJJ which is 15 minutes from me, let alone NYC. I'd be really interested to learn about Danaher's leglock system because I do a lot of the same stuff but came to it in completely different ways (I started in no-gi with a bunch of shootfighting/catch/sambo guys).
I'm sure you've seen a lot of it already working with the RABJJ/OCBJJ guys but the really awesome thing about it is that it is evolving so fast. Would be great if you could make it in to the Danaher morning class.

origami posted:

Is the school in Manhattan? If so - I'll drop by next time I'm in the area. I've only visited NY Combat Sambo so far.

The greater NYC area is spoiled rotten
Yes, the Manhattan location. I train in the mornings. I know everyone talks up CA and FL for BJJ but NYC is great with Renzo, Marcelo, Fabio Clemente/Alliance, Shaolin, Miyao/Unity, NY Combat Sambo, Ronin/SBGi etc. Not spread out either. Most are from 25th St. to 37th St.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Highly recommend last night's episode of TUF for leg-lock enthusiasts!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Kekekela posted:

Highly recommend last night's episode of TUF for leg-lock enthusiasts!

is that show released for free on the internet and used to promote the UFC brand? I don't know, I live in Canada.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
ryan hall is a great teacher

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Does anyone here train with Draculino? I will be there tomorrow.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Yuns posted:

Does anyone here train with Draculino? I will be there tomorrow.

I have attended his seminars and he was great!

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
EBI 4 replay is up if you didn't watch it live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMDU8GGu0vY

DismemberedLemon
Jun 20, 2015

Lost For Words posted:

EBI 4 replay is up if you didn't watch it live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMDU8GGu0vY

thanks for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
And after you get done watching EBI4, check out the entire Newaza tournament from a couple weeks back.

So much good competition footage here lately.