Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/Ch-058--Workplace-Experience-Wrap-Up?id=241219

translateds out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ochako :allears:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
That was a neat little chapter. I like how even with all the gains he's made Deku still isn't exactly the one to watch out for.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I will say this. I hope we get a little more normal school time focusing on the class a bit more before we go into another arc. The fact that I don't want anything major to happen for a bit. Is a testament to how much I enjoy and want to see these characters just doing their own thing.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Did the results of the character popularity contest ever come out?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Way to go Deku. Also I am thrilled that Ojiro and Sero got even more screen time.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Green Intern posted:

Way to go Deku. Also I am thrilled that Ojiro and Sero got even more screen time.

Really diggin' Ojiro's costume.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
This chapter really does remind me why I love this series. It remembers that there's more to superheroics than just fighting bad guys (a fact that mainstream, western comics all too often forget), everybody's costumes are distinctive, and their powers usage is varied and reflects their own styles - and they actually get to have their moments even as Deku tries to improve.

Also I dunno if Ashido's quirk was fully explained prior to this point, but I like it: Its acid, but unlike other 'substance' quirks thus far she can actually alter the properties to get certain, desired results. Actually kinda neat.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neeksy posted:

Did the results of the character popularity contest ever come out?

Surely it's an overwhelming victory for Frog Girl.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I still can't believe I'd be saying this, but Ashido has the best costume.

Look at that fur.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Look at that fur.

It's not Alien Queen, but it's an awesome costume nonetheless.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
...Getting Kraven vibes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Look at that fur.

You'd be right were it not for the oil swirl pattern on the bodysuit being green and purple. :barf:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

chumbler posted:

You'd be right were it not for the oil swirl pattern on the bodysuit being green and purple. :barf:

The fact that she is also pink makes it circle all the way back to the best. :colbert:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

chumbler posted:

Our heroine, the Daily Dose.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Look at that fur.

Ashido just has a really cool look in general.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

The fact that she is also pink makes it circle all the way back to the best. :colbert:

Exactly. She's just the best.

And climbing buildings by melting hand and footholds into them? Awesome.

She's so 80's it hurts. It hurts so good.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bad Seafood posted:

That was a neat little chapter. I like how even with all the gains he's made Deku still isn't exactly the one to watch out for.
His progress compared to everyone else is way larger though- this is mostly due to his power being ridiculously more useful/powerful than everyone else's however. He goes from being a borderline useless glass cannon to now being able to sorta keep up with the most mobile students using a tiny, tiny fraction of his overall strength.

I kinda wonder how far All Might is ahead of Endeavor in terms of the #1/#2 thing. Like, someone in their prime with 100% One For All should literally be so far beyond anyone else it's ridiculous yet somehow the All For One dude managed to nearly kill him.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It could be simply that All for One has a quirk that directly counters One for All and it not necessarily insanely powerful, which would make sense considering the inversion of the name.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Right now my money's on All For One being some kind of draining ability, maybe. Draining people's energy, their powers, who knows. Something like that though.

Fabricated posted:

His progress compared to everyone else is way larger though- this is mostly due to his power being ridiculously more useful/powerful than everyone else's however. He goes from being a borderline useless glass cannon to now being able to sorta keep up with the most mobile students using a tiny, tiny fraction of his overall strength.
His progress was larger because it needed to be larger. It was that or go home, basically.

Even so, he's only just now reaching the point where he can almost sometimes break even. Other character's accomplishments, advantages, and abilities are not rendered moot or meaningless by his (avoiding the Bleach problem).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

One for All is a collection of generations of powers stored into one. All for One is distributing powers among several = The Noumus.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bad Seafood posted:

Right now my money's on All For One being some kind of draining ability, maybe. Draining people's energy, their powers, who knows. Something like that though.
His progress was larger because it needed to be larger. It was that or go home, basically.

Even so, he's only just now reaching the point where he can almost sometimes break even. Other character's accomplishments, advantages, and abilities are not rendered moot or meaningless by his (avoiding the Bleach problem).
Sort of. Horikoshi has done a really good job so far of making his power really difficult to master without making it too frustrating for everyone to watch, but he's probably going to become Goku/Ichigo because as he powers up he's going to be flat out more powerful than the rest of the class and will need badguys to match him- which leads to the whole shounen thing where everyone but the MC gets relegated to mook cleanup detail or "Badguys who are coincidentially always the supporting cast's opposite numbers".

I'm interested in seeing how he pulls it off.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Look at that fur.
She's a leopard slug isn't she

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Exactly. She's just the best.

And climbing buildings by melting hand and footholds into them? Awesome.

She's so 80's it hurts. It hurts so good.

How is she secreting acid through her boots?? :psyduck:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The boots look like they have holes around the edges.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSunshine posted:

How is she secreting acid through her boots?? :psyduck:

Her costume was designed with her powers in mind. That was probably taken into account, whether with material it can seep through or, as Endorph says, having holes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Just about everyone has some kind of super power, so it would be weird if there wasn't advanced clothing technology to deal with it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The dawn of wide-spread superheroics would probably see a major boom in the fashion industry.

Kinda want to read a comic about that now.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

The dawn of wide-spread superheroics would probably see a major boom in the fashion industry.

I vaguely remember there being a character in the DCU who was basically the resident tailor for supervillains (or maybe superheroes) who needed costume work done - and consequently was rich as all hell for it.

I know at the very least there's a fan-comic about this sort of thing, and it really is kinda awesome.

Also re: the strength of Endeavour in relation to All Might, there are two things to consider. First is that I don't think we've really seen the full extent of Endeavour's strength - he's almost certainly the kind of guy who would restrain himself against most villains if it meant the police were less inclined to investigate if say... there were rumours of family abuse. The second is that there's no guarantee that Endeavour's position as the #2 hero was technically in relation to the strength between him and All Might in a 'who would win' kinda way - just about their overall efficiency as a superhero, I think. So Endeavour himself may have vastly overestimated how well he - or his successors - could take All Might in a fight, whilst someone who's popularly ranked at like, #339 could be one of the few people alive who'd give All Might a decent challenge, due to like, having nuclear fusion as a quirk or something equally ridiculous and hard to use safely.

But yeah, how Deku ends up scaling in the future is gonna be interesting to watch, and its why a chapter like this makes me hopeful that he'll ensure there's more to beating bad guys and/or saving the day than just 'punch them really hard'. On the other hand, Bleach didn't really have the Ichigo power creep kick in till quite a bit after an equivalent chapter count.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

That should be what Kubo makes after Bleach hopefully ends.

Also I like how Bakugou still proves to be the most acytely observant classmate in terms of seeing Deku's improvement. Dude is still my favorite character by far.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Astro Nut posted:

whilst someone who's popularly ranked at like, #339 could be one of the few people alive who'd give All Might a decent challenge, due to like, having nuclear fusion as a quirk or something equally ridiculous and hard to use safely.

Don't forget all the people who never register as heros. Out of 7 billion unique quirks, there are probably a few that are more powerful than All Might's "Punch Really Hard" Power. If you can generate nuclear explosions or something equally ridiculous there's no reason to go around fighting muggers when you can probably save more lives and earn more money by generating electricity.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Bakugou coming to Yuuei and being around a bunch of other kids with strong quirks or "heroic willpower" or what have you really changed the guy. After that first loss to Midoriya he still put on the loud, abrasive, no-fucks-given persona, which I'm sure is still mostly genuine, but he started actually paying attention to the others and has turned into the most hyper-observant student in Class A. He's way sharper than those first 10 chapters would have you believe. Obviously he's gonna notice Midoriya aping his moves but whenever he sees something outrageous happen with one of the others, he just sort of silently takes note of it. Sometimes while grinding his teeth. Chapter 1 Bakugou probably would've just said "pfft whatever gently caress that guy I'm the best" and explodopunched a wall or something.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Avulsion posted:

Don't forget all the people who never register as heros. Out of 7 billion unique quirks, there are probably a few that are more powerful than All Might's "Punch Really Hard" Power. If you can generate nuclear explosions or something equally ridiculous there's no reason to go around fighting muggers when you can probably save more lives and earn more money by generating electricity.

Well, there's probably a fair number of repeats in that 7 billion, but pretty much, yeah. The sheer scope of the setting allows for there to be a lot of people whose potential just kinda slipped off the radar.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the most powerful person will be a hermit who lives alone and spends all his time fishing because he doesn't like being around people

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Jose posted:

the most powerful person will be a hermit who lives alone and spends all his time fishing because he doesn't like being around people

"We gave him his own private island and pay him to not destroy the world, it's just easier this way."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jose posted:

Grumpy Tomino will do his voice.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

TriffTshngo posted:

Bakugou coming to Yuuei and being around a bunch of other kids with strong quirks or "heroic willpower" or what have you really changed the guy. After that first loss to Midoriya he still put on the loud, abrasive, no-fucks-given persona, which I'm sure is still mostly genuine, but he started actually paying attention to the others and has turned into the most hyper-observant student in Class A. He's way sharper than those first 10 chapters would have you believe. Obviously he's gonna notice Midoriya aping his moves but whenever he sees something outrageous happen with one of the others, he just sort of silently takes note of it. Sometimes while grinding his teeth. Chapter 1 Bakugou probably would've just said "pfft whatever gently caress that guy I'm the best" and explodopunched a wall or something.

Bakugou is literally doing the same exact thing deku is doing to him: copying the gently caress out of his MO and it's hilarious

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Avulsion posted:

"We gave him his own private island and pay him to not destroy the world, it's just easier this way."

I was thinking about something along these lines actually; how would the government and such react to people with powers on that scale? Take the hypothetical nuclear power man, or someone who can stop time or something; a quirk on that level, where the person's a natural disaster waiting to happen or where they could basically go anywhere, take anything, and/or kill anyone without anything being able to stop them or something, they may decide that the "don't use your quirk in public" law isn't enough for these individuals and do something about it. Exactly what they do may vary.

I doubt that the manga's going to explore this sort of thing, it was just a thought that occurred to me a while back and the current topic reminded me of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

the fashion designer was the best part of the incredibles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

JosephWongKS posted:

Surely it's an overwhelming victory for Frog Girl.

She does seem to generate the most fan art.