Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

Tunga posted:

It got panned in reviews and then they made it a ton better in a software update just after launch. So it's not really fair to describe it this way. Most people with a N5 know that it's a pretty decent camera. There are better ones, but it's above average, especially in HDR mode.

Oh, I know. It's just usually referred to as mediocre at best. I've always been quite pleased with it, which is partially fueling my disappointment with the X Pure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I love that we're at this point now where we're totally spoiled with phone cameras. Even the shittiest picture in this thread is still totally acceptable, especially when you realize that it usually scales way down on res and dimensions anyway. We have RAW support in the OS..I definitely did not see that coming.

This was from gs6 and aside from some loss of detail on the highlights, the latitude is still bananas for being a cell phone snap.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 12, 2015

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Maybe it's not the arrow, it's the Indian? :weedass:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

zer0spunk posted:

I love that we're at this point now where we're totally spoiled with phone cameras. Even the shittiest picture in this thread is still totally acceptable, especially when you realize that it usually scales way down on res and dimensions anyway. We have RAW support in the OS..I definitely did not see that coming.

This was from gs6 and aside from some loss of detail on the highlights, the latitude is still bananas for being a cell phone snap.

The GS6 is widely acknowledged as the best phone camera of the year sooooo

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
The camera on the Note 5 is great, but I've found the biggest improvement from the 5S is actually the camera shortcut. Being able to hit a physical button (the home button twice) to get immediately into the camera is really, really nice. Same with the taking the pen out to jot a note, such as a phone number. For all the marketing mumbo jumbo that gets put in some of the manufacturer gimmicks of any phone, this stuff is a big deal to me and I love it!

I don't know what the shortcuts are like on other android phones, but compared to having it in the bottom corner of a lock screen, this is leagues ahead.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BottleKnight posted:

The camera on the Note 5 is great, but I've found the biggest improvement from the 5S is actually the camera shortcut. Being able to hit a physical button (the home button twice) to get immediately into the camera is really, really nice. Same with the taking the pen out to jot a note, such as a phone number. For all the marketing mumbo jumbo that gets put in some of the manufacturer gimmicks of any phone, this stuff is a big deal to me and I love it!

I don't know what the shortcuts are like on other android phones, but compared to having it in the bottom corner of a lock screen, this is leagues ahead.

That's one of the best things about the Moto X. You double-twist your wrist to go straight into the camera. Some may like the home button double-press more, but whatever...having the shortcut is pretty useful.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

Same with the taking the pen out to jot a note, such as a phone number.

This sounds loving awesome. So it works from the lock screen? Can it turn your writing into text?

I think this is the proper way to fill the gap between the digital and physical ways of doing things. I still find writing with pen and paper for a quick note faster than pulling up an app and typing on it.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Butt Savage posted:

This sounds loving awesome. So it works from the lock screen? Can it turn your writing into text?

I think this is the proper way to fill the gap between the digital and physical ways of doing things. I still find writing with pen and paper for a quick note faster than pulling up an app and typing on it.

You take the pen out, it lights the black screen up a little bit, you write with white 'ink,' and then you can click link to action and it can share what you wrote with most system apps, such as contacts. You can also save the page or delete it without unlocking your phone.

It is super useful, and not even something I would consider to be a poweruser feature. Just useful.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Super Dude posted:

If anyone is interested in seeing the size difference between the X 2013 and Pure:

I was mentally preparing to upgrade from the 2013 X to the 2015 X Play but I think now I'm just going to get the new Nexus 5. The 2013 X is already about 0.5" larger screen than I need. I commute by bicycle and it will just barely fit in my front pocket but I'd need to invest in a dedicated bag to carry around something larger. Yeah I guess you can walk from your car to your desk with something larger in your pocket, but gently caress you if you want to try and do any sort of activity outside.

Edit: gently caress no, the new nexus 5 is still bigger than the 2013 Moto X by a wide margin. Am I the only person in the world who still expects their phone to just fit in their front pocket? Whoever comes out with a 1080p screen on a 4.5" screen and none of the foofy manufacture-designed phone skin bullshit, and a battery worth a drat, I'm buying that.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 12, 2015

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Hadlock posted:

I was mentally preparing to upgrade from the 2013 X to the 2015 X Play but I think now I'm just going to get the new Nexus 5. The 2013 X is already about 0.5" larger screen than I need. I commute by bicycle and it will just barely fit in my front pocket but I'd need to invest in a dedicated bag to carry around something larger. Yeah I guess you can walk from your car to your desk with something larger in your pocket, but gently caress you if you want to try and do any sort of activity outside.

Edit: gently caress no, the new nexus 5 is still bigger than the 2013 Moto X by a wide margin. Am I the only person in the world who still expects their phone to just fit in their front pocket? Whoever comes out with a 1080p screen on a 4.5" screen and none of the foofy manufacture-designed phone skin bullshit, and a battery worth a drat, I'm buying that.

Why do you need 1080p on a 4.5" screen?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I commute by bicycle and it will just barely fit in my front pocket but I'd need to invest in a dedicated bag to carry around something larger. Yeah I guess you can walk from your car to your desk with something larger in your pocket, but gently caress you if you want to try and do any sort of activity outside.

lol

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

what about a phone fanny

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hadlock posted:

I bike from the commuter lot to my classes (maybe 10 minutes), and my 2014 X has never bothered me in my front right pocket.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Moto X Pure has been a good phone so far. Very snappy and responsive, beautiful screen, doesn't feel too big, and I like the Moto enhancements for the most part (I don't seem to be able to switch the double twist action so that it launches the Google camera app instead of the Moto one which is annoying). Transferring my stuff via the Motorola Migrate app was painless. Materials, fit and finish are excellent; it's a hefty device but does not feel nearly as huge as my friend's Galaxy Note 4 in hand.

Battery life is pretty mediocre but I like how fast turbo charging is and I frequently top off so I'm not worried about that. The camera seems fine, but I would like OIS. Overall, I am convinced that a better phone cannot be had for $400.

catte

e: the only other photo I've taken is here

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 12, 2015

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450119378"]
Why do you need 1080p on a 4.5" screen?
Man, I feel the same way about 720p. I'd be happy with 854x480p on any screen <= 5". When browsing SA, text is often blown up on cell phones for easier reading anyway. Anything in it's native resolution on a 720p phone is practically unreadable.

Hell, most people don't really notice the difference between 720p and 1080p on their flatscreen TVs.

Edit: That being said, I don't give two shits about the camera (so long as I can take photos of construction poo poo that I can send to my boss), so what the gently caress do I know.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 12, 2015

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Of course the Verizon 2013 Moto X is getting lollipop the day after I break down and buy a pure because I was sure it would never happen. I needed more storage anyway and dat bamboo, but still.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

Battery life is pretty mediocre but I like how fast turbo charging is and I frequently top off so I'm not worried about that.

This is true of the Note 5 as well. I'm not sure if I like the idea that faster charging is an excuse for mediocre battery life but it's definitely improvement over the lovely smartphone batteries of yesteryear.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

TraderStav posted:

Coming from the Z3c to the new G myself it feels like an upgrade actually. You'll be happy but it is tough getting used to the bigger size. Reaching the top left corner for some menus makes me wish Android would steal the double tap thing from Apple

Ah perfect. I was hoping that was the case. I might opt for the pure anyways, but I'll give the G a go for a while and see how it handles.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

BottleKnight posted:

This is true of the Note 5 as well. I'm not sure if I like the idea that faster charging is an excuse for mediocre battery life but it's definitely improvement over the lovely smartphone batteries of yesteryear.

Turbo wireless charging is going to be magnificent.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ruby idiot railed posted:

The GS6 is widely acknowledged as the best phone camera of the year sooooo

I bought a canvas print of one of the pictures I took with my gs6 edge and hung it in my office

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Not sure how it is in other places but my local Best Buy has the display set up for the new Moto lineup, but no display models out yet. Read somewhere that Best Buy will start selling them in-store tomorrow, for those that don't care about Moto Maker.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Best Buys are putting out display for the new Moto G and the Moto X. The Moto G is bigger than I thought, but the display and build quality are totally serviceable. This is a good thing, since I just dumped my 2013 Moto X out of my shirt pocket and shattered the screen. :saddowns: Everything still works though, surprisingly!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mr Newsman posted:

Ah perfect. I was hoping that was the case. I might opt for the pure anyways, but I'll give the G a go for a while and see how it handles.

For $220, you really can't go wrong. I bought it to play around with until all the new flagships are announced, namely the new N5. Worst case scenario I take a $50 haircut on resale. Or keep it and don't worry about banging it up as an iPod clone.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
Has anyone done the free Moto Maker do-over? I'm having second thoughts on my lime and dark gray Pure after seeing pics of the navy blue with red accent. I'll wait until I see mine in person, but does Moto send you the new one, then you send the old one back? I've already got a buyer for my N5 so I'd be phoneless if I have to ship the first one back first.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Everyone shattering their old moto phones so close to the new X launch seems like moto designed phones that will just swan dive into the sidewalk as a planned obsolescence roadmap.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Hadlock posted:

Just buy an armband duder.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FAUXTON posted:

Everyone shattering their old moto phones so close to the new X launch seems like moto designed phones that will just swan dive into the sidewalk as a planned obsolescence roadmap.

My 2013 Moto X is still intact for now. Unfortunately I have republic wireless so it's still on 4.4.4. I was playing around with Lollipop on my nexus 7 tablet 9 months ago. Babies are born faster than android upgrades are implemented.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

You take the pen out, it lights the black screen up a little bit, you write with white 'ink,' and then you can click link to action and it can share what you wrote with most system apps, such as contacts. You can also save the page or delete it without unlocking your phone.

It is super useful, and not even something I would consider to be a poweruser feature. Just useful.

Out of all of Samsung's offerings, their Note series has been the only one that has piqued my interest, particularly because of the features they tack on to use with the stylus. It's really hard for me to give up my iPhone because I love iOS in general and it integrates so well with my Mac, but I wouldn't be upset if I somehow only got "stuck" with a Note 5, Touchwiz be damned.

Definitely going to head to Best Buy to play with the Note 5, though. It's a really nice phone, judging by the videos I've seen of it. That screen must be a dream to use.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Compared to stock, TouchWiz is lesser, but it's still very usable. It's not as excessively annoying as it was, and most of the dumb features have become optional, if not hidden. I am having a lot more problems with Sprint crapware on this phone than anything to do with Samsung.

Do any other android phones have good multitasking features? This is the first phone I've had that's had it, and I love being able to have a YouTube video on top while I browse chrome on the bottom. It's less of a gimmick than I thought.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

ruby idiot railed posted:

Turbo wireless charging is going to be magnificent.

Already a thing on the Note 5.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Desk Lamp posted:

Already a thing on the Note 5.

Are the Wireless Quick Charge Pads out yet?

Every time I look they are listed as "Coming Soon"

Can't wireless quick charge without the wireless quickcharger

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
My phone burned hot all day without me using it, won't turn on or charge with usb, some Googling indicates that the battery may be shot from too much usb charging.

A) Is this true?

B) Where can I get an inexpensive 5gb a month plan if I buy a Moto X 2nd gen?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Kraps posted:

B) Where can I get an inexpensive 5gb a month plan if I buy a Moto X 2nd gen?

Cricket is $45/mo for 5gb

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

mugrim posted:

Cricket is $45/mo for 5gb

T-Mobile is $30/mo for 5gb (and unlimited at 2G)

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Krime posted:

Are the Wireless Quick Charge Pads out yet?

Every time I look they are listed as "Coming Soon"

Can't wireless quick charge without the wireless quickcharger

Oh I have no idea, I was just pointing out that it's already existing technology that should be ubiquitous among flagship phones by this time next year.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

T-Mobile is $30/mo for 5gb (and unlimited at 2G)

Is this the one you have to buy from Walmart?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Kraps posted:

Yeah, do you have a link? The T-Mobile 5gb prepaid plan I'm seeing is 70 bucks.

Here's what I'm seeing

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Kraps posted:

No, it's the online-only deal.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

No, it's the online-only deal.

Do you have a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

How to get Tmobile's 30 plan

1. Buy tmobile activation kit, can be purchased anywhere (ebay, walmart, tmobile)
2. Go to tmobile activation page.
3. Activate sim and choose $30 plan.