Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I always read it as a kind of visual metaphor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember one of the pages going into how there are cases where a person's body morphs and changes when their personality changes and that it is like they are born with 2 souls in the same body, but whether or not that is the actual translation of what Araki meant or a lovely translation of what he meant idk. It seemed like a setup for the soul swapping stuff later on, if anything, or at least an attempt to show that while Doppio and Diavolo inhabit the same body, they are definitely their own people (which is why with souls representing the stand user, Doppio separated from Diavolo not having a stand, and Diavolo having King Crimson, and Doppio only ever having Epitaph, makes me think that that entire bruno/diavolo fight hinges on Bruno being given access to Epitaph to gently caress with his perception)

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 12, 2015

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

why didn't Giorno ever pull out his ear trick again

it was a good trick

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Green Day should have been called Down With the Sickness. Hopefully the official translation will correct this oversight.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't worry namco-bandai gave it a better name, Green Tea.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Forktoss posted:

I like King Crimson

though I know that's a controversial stand

This thread is all about controversial stands

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Forktoss posted:

I like King Crimson

If I can give the benefit of the doubt to a cell tower as a stand, i can give it to King Crimson.

Red Bones posted:

I think Doppio looks different because Diavolo is contorting his muscles? I feel like that was mentioned somewhere, that its more of a posture thing and not a stand power that the two of them look different.

I'd like to know what muscle contortions I can do to add or remove polka-dots to my hair style on a whim.

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 12, 2015

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

There have been cases where people with multiple personalities change how their body is depending on each personality. However as far as I know that's limited to stuff such as some personalities having allergic reactions to certain things when others don't, or burn marks or scars only appearing with certain personalities. Araki seems to have taken it to the extreme, but Doppio and Diavolo have a very small basis in real phenomena.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Red Bones posted:

I think Doppio looks different because Diavolo is contorting his muscles? I feel like that was mentioned somewhere, that its more of a posture thing and not a stand power that the two of them look different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaF0QKtY0c

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

like most things in jojo, it's based off of something araki probably heard about once or twice in passing and thought 'that sounds cool as gently caress'

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Forktoss posted:

I like King Crimson

I think it's more interesting than the world is but the time Stands are just sort of... I dunno, you give the bad guy something that big and -maybe this is controversial!- you let them opt out of creative uses for their stand. It makes that big finish less interesting to me than, say, watching Bruno break himself apart in the train battle.

The design is one that legitimately looks scary to me, though (so does D4C). It's one I like the design of but care less about the ability, whereas i like sticky fingers a lot as an ability but care less about the design.

And thanks, red bones. You're right, i think- i mean, that's what Polnareff explained it as, too. I just love it that my brain has a hard time fully embracing an idea that has at least a remote connection to reality because it finds the Stand explanation more plausible.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Red Bones posted:

i feel like this is appropriate

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

ascalapha odorata posted:

I think it's more interesting than the world is but the time Stands are just sort of... I dunno, you give the bad guy something that big and -maybe this is controversial!- you let them opt out of creative uses for their stand. It makes that big finish less interesting to me than, say, watching Bruno break himself apart in the train battle.

The design is one that legitimately looks scary to me, though (so does D4C). It's one I like the design of but care less about the ability, whereas i like sticky fingers a lot as an ability but care less about the design.

And thanks, red bones. You're right, i think- i mean, that's what Polnareff explained it as, too. I just love it that my brain has a hard time fully embracing an idea that has at least a remote connection to reality because it finds the Stand explanation more plausible.

D4C looks like he could use those ear horns to gore someone through the heart.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
ah yes, my favorite song, Gored Through the Heart

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

I give The World a pass as it was the first and the reactions to it counted on the audience being unused to the concept as well. Bites the Dust seems a little awkward but that awkwardness actually backfires on its user so I don't mind. Mandom is pretty cool to me because of the setting and the character of Ringo himself; I think it's a great example of a stand being both prominent and secondary. King Crimson's kind of in the middle because while I like Diavolo and Doppio fine the stand itself feels more like the story thinks it's introducing the concept of time manipulation to you. I mean, yes, this particular style was new, but I never felt like the Stand itself stood on its own merits in a fight beyond the apparent attempt to impress on the audience that, hey, we're doing time manipulation again!!

Made in Heaven's pretty cool too because we actually get to see it work.

Overall I do agree though that stands like Sticky Fingers tend to be a lot more interesting to me than the time-based ones. I just felt like figuring out how I liked the time stands so I started writing it out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I kinda like the time manipulation Stands, though, admittedly, it would be nice if final villains got a simple power like the Joestars that they parlayed into something more powerful.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No idea how real this is but lol

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
e;fb.

I'm floored by that if it's true.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Hahahahahah I would not be surprised.

Did we get an actual release date yet? (nope doesn't look like it)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That looks like a bootleg.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pomp posted:

Joyo's bazar ventures

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

LORD OF BUTT posted:

That looks like a bootleg.

Seriously.

Though I like it that I shrugged when I found out it wasn't blu-ray, heard the dubbed stuff and thought 'sure ok, this is fine' but oh my god bootleg-looking menu screens? How dare they. Hopefully it is fake :gonk:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Instead of buying the Jojo anime, I will most likely just keep buying the manga.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

Instead of buying the Jojo anime, I will most likely just keep buying the manga.

I will support the JoJo Empire by buying figurines and making them kiss.

Why is Okuyasu so loving expensive

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I will support the JoJo Empire by buying figurines and making them kiss.

Why is Okuyasu so loving expensive

The Hand isn't decorated with a money symbol for no reason, you know.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I really like Giorno just because he's the boss of the mafia now

maybe he was just too busy doing everything but selling drugs to kids to be tempted to go to Florida

although on that note, I hated that DIO's sons were just a bunch of losers. but maybe that's the point, DIO was a big loser with big ambition

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

setafd posted:

I really like Giorno just because he's the boss of the mafia now

maybe he was just too busy doing everything but selling drugs to kids to be tempted to go to Florida

although on that note, I hated that DIO's sons were just a bunch of losers. but maybe that's the point, DIO was a big loser with big ambition

In Ungalo's case, at least, the loser traits probably come from Dario. Versace and Rykiel don't seem to be losers by nature so much as people who got screwed over by ~gravity~.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

setafd posted:

On the other hand, one of Dio's sons had a Stand that affected all of The World the world.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Pomp posted:

God drat they are putting in as little effort into this as possible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fury Road has the same menu. People just don't care about home media anymore.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

setafd posted:

he was more successful than you

Waffleman_ posted:

you gotta be making GBS threads me

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

gently caress this Earth.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I remember the time when dvd menus were interactive and played scenes from the movies, it felt like the future

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just finished True Man's World. That was one of the best chapters in the series holy poo poo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Red Suit posted:

I just finished True Man's World. That was one of the best chapters in the series holy poo poo

Real Man's World is one of the best things Araki's ever written and I will buy tankobons that have it just because I want to own it in my home

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pomp posted:

Apparently my copy was delivered so I can check

e: yeah that's what the menu looks like

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 13, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
holy loving poo poo that's the real menu :psyboom:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't care what the menu looks like. It could be a blank screen that says "Muscle Ghost Anime" and I still would not care because it's JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I'm kind of amazed that people give a poo poo about the quality of DVD menus in the year 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It totally makes sense for the DVD menu to be barebones when it's something you'll probably see for a grand total of like 10 minutes the entire time you own it, even more so when the demand for the product isn't solid. It could just be a black screen with the episode titles and it'd be fine.

Alternatively, JoJo is so great that the menu had to suck to balance it out.