Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I played this game tonight.

Incidentally, I took 167 screenshots.

I can stop any time.

That engine was expensive, but a storm soon came.

:stonk:

Edit:

The dunes are fun.

gently caress ferals, though.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I like how they managed to make so many different looking deserts.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does the thirstcutter DLC disable the respective death run location as a fast travel point for anyone else? It's sort of inconvenient :(

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Max is almost in every loving scene you dumb rear end in a top hat.

And what an excellent mannequin he portrays.
"I'd talk, but I'm not charlize theron, therefore I should just leave the acting to her"

Garbage movie desperately cashing in on internet poster sentiments.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
:suspense:

dogstile fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 12, 2015

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Agrajag posted:

Yeeeeah, I'm going to go with this poo poo is stupid. On the scale of shits to give pixel butts in video games wouldn't even register when it comes to issues concerning women or people in general. Getting upset over video game asses, abs, boobs, pecs or whatever is a colossally stupid issue to be upset about.

The fact that it is somehow an issue that is coming up for this game is even more retarded.

I dunno man, portrayal of women in media - and Blizzard's poo poo is incredibly popular - is a legit thing for people to get pissed off about. I mean, you may not agree with it, or want to see the whole argument dumped in the bin, but it's not colossally stupid to take issue with it.

Anyway I'm certain SA has heaps of threads about this stuff and it's a tangent of a tangent :)

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Ilustforponydeath posted:

"I'd talk, but I'm not charlize theron, therefore I should just leave the acting to her"

Ok.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Is there something you have to do to unlock the ripper DLC? I redeemed the code on steam before I started playing the game, but it wasn't one of the shell choices at the start of the game for the magnum opus. Do you have to find it somewhere in the desert?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

lmao

Copper For Lyfe posted:

Is there something you have to do to unlock the ripper DLC? I redeemed the code on steam before I started playing the game, but it wasn't one of the shell choices at the start of the game for the magnum opus. Do you have to find it somewhere in the desert?

You should have it in your garage as a body option automatically.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Are you a human being?

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Korgan posted:

You should have it in your garage as a body option automatically.

It took a little while to show up for me. You gotta get to Jeet's first I think.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
When I first started playing the Ripper wasn't there for me, either. It just sort of showed up after a while with no fanfare whatsoever. I didn't even get a notification, it was just in my garage when I happened to look later on.

Sorry about your incel...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Finished the story after screwing around for ages on the map - poor Chumbucket :smith:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
On the bright side chumbucket comes back all happy as poo poo, like nothing ever happened, after the final scene.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
If you go back to that race track with a house the Junkie that Max hanged out with also comes back to just lounge around and huff all day so death doesn't seem to apply to major characters in this game post Waterpocolypse.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Post-ending, I like to imagine Max has gone so far over the edge he's imagining everyone being alive

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So, as a little heads up, I should probably mention that I have never seen a Mad Max movie. Never! Not a single one! I saw the scene in Thunderdome where he was chasing some manchild in a helmet with a chainsaw when it was on TV once, but that's it.

With that in mind

I loving love this game.

Yes, it's shallow. Yes, it does nothing new. Yes, it's pretty checklisty.

But when I hear my Druid Plow purr (gently caress your Magnum Opus, I'm the one driving and I'm calling it the Druid Plow) as I haul rear end across the desert and end up hitting a ramp to go sailing through a sniper tower...magic.

So if you're the type of person who played Brutal Legends and spent hours just driving around listening to classic metal without a care in the world, and really loves customizing your ride, then this game is for you!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Also Hope is just chilling out on the balcony of the stronghold run by the religious dude with all the burn scars.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Flytrap posted:

So, as a little heads up, I should probably mention that I have never seen a Mad Max movie. Never! Not a single one! I saw the scene in Thunderdome where he was chasing some manchild in a helmet with a chainsaw when it was on TV once, but that's it.

With that in mind

I loving love this game.

Yes, it's shallow. Yes, it does nothing new. Yes, it's pretty checklisty.

But when I hear my Druid Plow purr (gently caress your Magnum Opus, I'm the one driving and I'm calling it the Druid Plow) as I haul rear end across the desert and end up hitting a ramp to go sailing through a sniper tower...magic.

So if you're the type of person who played Brutal Legends and spent hours just driving around listening to classic metal without a care in the world, and really loves customizing your ride, then this game is for you!

I was just thinking that this game reminded me a little bit of Brutal Legend, but slightly less power-metal, a lot more fun to play, and with a rad screenshot function instead of weird awkward mandatory RTS sequences.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Finished the ending.

Depressing as hell, but it was really well done. I felt so sad for Max, for Chumbucket, for Hope and Glory. Max gets his revenge, but nothing changes. He's back to his old car, having lost even more, searching for a place that doesn't exist.

The final fight was incredible, though. Everything from entering Gastown onward was fantastic. I think it was said best that while this game didn't do anything particularly new, what it did do was flawlessly executed, and the atmosphere and story were loving nailed. Just as Mad Max: Fury Road is 2015's defining movie, Mad Max is 2015's defining game.

...well, there's Fallout 4 to come still, and apparently The Witcher 3 is drat good too. But Mad Max was loving spectacular. :perfect:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to cry.

lmao

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

lmao

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
After spending 60+ hours fannying around the desert, I finally decided to go to Gastown and race for the V8. Everything that happened from the race onwards was :perfect: and I found myself playing until the end credits in a single session. There are times in open world games to bimble around the world, and there are times to hit the nitro and huff deeply on those story missions. It would have been wrong to interrupt the emotional and action-packed roller coaster that was the final two acts.

And that ending... having come into the game after a day long Mad Max movie marathon to have it all fresh in my mind, this game loving nailed it. The entire story, especially the second half, is pure unrefined Mad Max in tone and content. This absolutely deserves to be considered an official part of the canon, and it's better than at least 2 of the films even.

Ending: I reject the idea that Hope was damselled and fridged. She had as much agency and determination as Angharad in Fury Road, and was using Max as a means of escape and to rescue her daughter. She even saves him, twice, seeing in him someone who will honor the debt and get her what she needs. A recurring theme in the films is that everyone close to Max either dies or is left behind, always one or t'other. Max's paranoia is about getting close to people, and it wasn't getting close to Hope that was the issue, it was trusting Chumbucket who betrays him. Still drat ballsy they killed off the kid though. Is it right that Glory may be the kid he thinks of in Fury Road? As the game's a prequel to that, I'm totally willing to go with it.

Even if someone does see Hope's death as a fridging to push Max into brutal revenge, and it's a valid view for some, I'd still argue that Max is legacy. The original movie was a cheaply made, but clever, exploitation and revenge flick. The very foundation of Max's character and Max's world is that people he gave a poo poo about were killed and he he murders errybody connected to it. Dude's got 36 years of history, if anyone gets to use the deaths of others as motivation, it's Mad "the clue is in the name" Max.

Now I've got the journey to 100% to look forward to. I highly recommend doing all your open world stuffs before Gastown race, and after the end credits, but focusing only on the story missions after the big chief race. It deserves that focus.

The final gear unlocks are great, and I'm pairing them with discrete wristguards and gloves as I focus on GOTTA CLEAN THAT MAP. Still hoping for a NG+/hard mode, and I'll buy any DLC that comes out. More convoys and long/big car chases please.

Game's a solid 4/5 that is way more interesting and fun than it has a right to be. Just like the films. Chunky, cheesy, endlessly enjoyable B-movie action that delivers. Paid $60 for pre-order, totally enjoyed the many dozens of hours I've sunk into this world and already thinking to replay this one day.

Everyone in this thread that bought and enjoyed this game, you're alright by me.

Songbearer posted:

Post-ending, I like to imagine Max has gone so far over the edge he's imagining everyone being alive

This for me too.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I want a DLC that involves Bullet Farm in some way and I have yet to find that dev poo poo in the open wastes even after an hour plus driving all over the place with a trainer on for infinite life.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

Ending: I reject the idea that Hope was damselled and fridged. She had as much agency and determination as Angharad in Fury Road, and was using Max as a means of escape and to rescue her daughter. She even saves him, twice, seeing in him someone who will honor the debt and get her what she needs. A recurring theme in the films is that everyone close to Max either dies or is left behind, always one or t'other. Max's paranoia is about getting close to people, and it wasn't getting close to Hope that was the issue, it was trusting Chumbucket who betrays him. Still drat ballsy they killed off the kid though. Is it right that Glory may be the kid he thinks of in Fury Road? As the game's a prequel to that, I'm totally willing to go with it.

Even if someone does see Hope's death as a fridging to push Max into brutal revenge, and it's a valid view for some, I'd still argue that Max is legacy. The original movie was a cheaply made, but clever, exploitation and revenge flick. The very foundation of Max's character and Max's world is that people he gave a poo poo about were killed and he he murders errybody connected to it. Dude's got 36 years of history, if anyone gets to use the deaths of others as motivation, it's Mad "the clue is in the name" Max.

People believe Hope is a damsel? That's loving retarded. Who honestly believes this?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why the poo poo is the "ignite" button the same as the "refuel" button when there are only specific parts around each refueling thing that actually work.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
This is totally safe, no way will this high tension steel cable snap as I walk past it.

Also, Hope sent me out to the dunes to find some stuff I might like. Getting out there and finding the loot was uneventful, then I resurfaced.

"Oh."

Then the storm cleared.

:unsmith:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Segmentation Fault posted:

People believe Hope is a damsel? That's loving retarded. Who honestly believes this?

stupid perpetually offended people.

EDIT: games great so far, but i can see why people get mad at the repetitiveness. also some of the fortresses are hard as hell.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 12, 2015

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

If anyone got damseled it was Chumbucket. I still don't know why that happened in the end. I've rammed hundreds of things bigger than that and Chum never freaked out.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Mad Max is such a good universe. Game owns, re-watched Fury Road and man it's so good.
To the guy that hasn't ever seen a Mad Max movie you owe it to yourself to watch Fury Road. The movies and game aren't connected in any sort of arc they just sort of share aspects with each other and the overall universe.
Fury Road is an instant classic.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Seriously, every game should have a screen shot function as good as this game. Oh, for the scrap places there is a really cool little area in the dunes. Forget exactly which one, but if you've been there, you probably know the one I'm referring too The two story house completely buried in sand with a lone dead buzzard on the bed in the master bedroom

Obligate murder shots:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Seriously, every game should have a screen shot function as good as this game. Oh, for the scrap places there is a really cool little area in the dunes. Forget exactly which one, but if you've been there, you probably know the one I'm referring too The two story house completely buried in sand with a lone dead buzzard on the bed in the master bedroom

I had some screen shots of that place (and then lost them) because it was one of the best examples that the scrap location are not just random busy work but little vignette of people trying to survive in the wasteland. On fridge in the kitchen there where a bunch of magnet letters and at just the right height of a child was the message "I miss my friends".

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

orcane posted:

Does the thirstcutter DLC disable the respective death run location as a fast travel point for anyone else? It's sort of inconvenient :(

Yes. gently caress that thing. It's also one of the hardest tracks and having to drive back to the start after accidentally pressing continue instead of retry is a pain in the rear end.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

BexGu posted:

I had some screen shots of that place (and then lost them) because it was one of the best examples that the scrap location are not just random busy work but little vignette of people trying to survive in the wasteland. On fridge in the kitchen there where a bunch of magnet letters and at just the right height of a child was the message "I miss my friends".

I took that one last night. :smith:

That little area was just neat.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

Songbearer posted:

I ended up with a CRAZY amount of that feeling, since I did the War Rig mission after killing Scrotus, and there Hope is in Deep Friah's temple, talking to Max after she's dead...

Oh, and have some loving gorgeous screenshots.

Overdoze
Jan 6, 2008

Revolution of evolution
Goddamn I love taking screenshots in this game:

Also a new wallpaper:

Sorry if the pic dump is too big.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

These two are really nice.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Holy poo poo, stealing this one :tipshat:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Nooo dinner come back :argh:

This one is kinda dark but embrace the light etc etc

:c00l:

"Oh hey stran-"

"Now I've got dust in my everything, thanks rear end in a top hat."

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Overdoze posted:

Also a new wallpaper:

This is absolutely perfect. If you told me it was an official Avalanche released wallpaper I wouldn't question it for a moment.

Photo mode :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Overdoze posted:

Goddamn I love taking screenshots in this game:

Is that a Mustang?

• Locked thread