Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Tigntink posted:

Guy in front of him dropped his seat and then crushed my husbands knees. It was pretty hosed.

There is a special place in hell reserved for these morons. I had a guy keep trying to try to force drop his seat despite heavy resistance (my knees. Since he had some earphones in or something he didn't hear me telling him to stop, so I just smashed up the seat and he gave me dumb look like he had no idea what just happened. I mean who drops their seat without checking first? And it's not only knees in the way, people could have drinks and poo poo on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Upgrades really depend on which hub you're flying out of. When I lived in San Diego, I was upgraded flying United about 50% of the time on just gold status. Once I moved to SNA/LAX, it dropped significantly. SFO is obviously a joke for anybody getting upgraded. When the United/Continental merger happened and the Continental exec team took over, upgrades all disappeared because that's the way they run. Now, airlines are moving to status programs directly tied to yearly spend as well as prioritizing upgrades based on ticket fare. No longer will someone fly to Europe twice in a year and get silver status, which is dogshit anyway. For folks beginning to fly now, the days of easy upgrades and perks are pretty much done.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

MrOnBicycle posted:

There is a special place in hell reserved for these morons. I had a guy keep trying to try to force drop his seat despite heavy resistance (my knees. Since he had some earphones in or something he didn't hear me telling him to stop, so I just smashed up the seat and he gave me dumb look like he had no idea what just happened. I mean who drops their seat without checking first? And it's not only knees in the way, people could have drinks and poo poo on the table.

We've got a hojillion miles banked but didn't want to blow 25k each for us to be put into economy plus/business class for a short jaunt. We're always getting at least economy plus now after that fiasco. I also felt like I was having a panic attack because I also couldn't move my knees and had no room on either side of me. I've been flying regularly since I was a kid and this was just insane. The new planes are absolute trash.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Tigntink posted:

We've got a hojillion miles banked but didn't want to blow 25k each for us to be put into economy plus/business class for a short jaunt. We're always getting at least economy plus now after that fiasco. I also felt like I was having a panic attack because I also couldn't move my knees and had no room on either side of me. I've been flying regularly since I was a kid and this was just insane. The new planes are absolute trash.

I had my first panic attack on a plane. Plus I have a ruined back (2 herniated discs, 1 fractured, 3 bulging) so anything over 6 hours and upgrading becomes a necessity just to stretch out. The lay flat beds in the new business cabins are just amazing.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

I mean who drops their seat without checking first? And it's not only knees in the way, people could have drinks and poo poo on the table.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone look back before they do it, let alone ask. I mean, you know you're allowed to but the person behind you would prefer it if you didn't, at best you're going to get a pained "OK". Also, it almost always happens once the initial ascent is over and they give the all-clear, before any drinks come out.

I'm 6'1" and don't have any problems with my knees or anything in economy. If you sit up straight instead of slouching, it makes a big difference. My rule of thumb is not to put my seat back anything other than *very* slightly unless the person in front of me does it. Admittedly it doesn't make much sense from a fairness perspective, but it's all I've got.

Here's a recent BWM from me:

I've got pretty much all of my savings in an index fund with Vanguard. About 3-4 weeks ago, after I got the green light from some tax info, I realised I should sell and move at least half of it into a money market fund, as I need it short-term (tuition bills, living expenses) for the next year, and didn't want to potentially endanger my ability to meet financial obligations just to get a few months worth of stock market returns. I was slammed with assignments and a teaching practicum, figured I'd sit down and figure out how to do it next week when my schedule cleared up.

Welp.

It's not the end of the world, but drat, if I hadn't put that off, I'd be feeling pretty :smugdog: right now, instead of sheepish.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I love being short.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
In bear markets or on airplanes?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm 6'1" and don't have any problems with my knees or anything in economy. If you sit up straight instead of slouching, it makes a big difference. My rule of thumb is not to put my seat back anything other than *very* slightly unless the person in front of me does it. Admittedly it doesn't make much sense from a fairness perspective, but it's all I've got.

Planes haven't been a problem for either of us - he used to fly for business about 100,000 a year and it has only been this year with the newest set of 767-300s? from united that have really really really decided to gently caress over anyone who has long legs. IF you haven't ridden super recently on a new plane you've probably never experienced the newest horrors.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tigntink posted:

Planes haven't been a problem for either of us - he used to fly for business about 100,000 a year and it has only been this year with the newest set of 767-300s? from united that have really really really decided to gently caress over anyone who has long legs. IF you haven't ridden super recently on a new plane you've probably never experienced the newest horrors.

Nah, I just flew to Japan a few months ago on whatever the Dreamliner is, was fine. It was Jetstar too, so if anyone was gonna short me on legroom it would have been them.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
^^^ loving hell, I knew you were going to post about Japan!

The route between where I live and where my family lives is served exclusively by 787s :smugdog: I'm 6'4" and have never had a problem with having to Tetris myself into the seat, even though it's a low-cost carrier.

Sounds like living in the US and being subject to Money Uber Alles is Bad With Life.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tigntink posted:

Those airframes aren't remotely new, just with new "improved" interiors.

edit: UAL is a bad airline which prior to a couple days ago was run by guys who could politely be described as douchebags, and then it was revealed that they were actually criminals, and now a different guy who is probably still a dick (but is less of a dick than Jeff Smisek) is running the joint now.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Blinkman987 posted:

Upgrades really depend on which hub you're flying out of. When I lived in San Diego, I was upgraded flying United about 50% of the time on just gold status. Once I moved to SNA/LAX, it dropped significantly. SFO is obviously a joke for anybody getting upgraded. When the United/Continental merger happened and the Continental exec team took over, upgrades all disappeared because that's the way they run. Now, airlines are moving to status programs directly tied to yearly spend as well as prioritizing upgrades based on ticket fare. No longer will someone fly to Europe twice in a year and get silver status, which is dogshit anyway. For folks beginning to fly now, the days of easy upgrades and perks are pretty much done.

Air New Zealand started this ages ago. Despite doing a lot of flying in the last year I'm not even halfway to silver status. With my planned flight to Paris it probably wouldn't be enough to get there before my status points expire so I'm just going to get cheaper flights instead. Airlines being good with money is bad with money for us.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Air Canada's program is absolute bullshit and not worth the effort of collecting points. Once you add in fuel and taxes, an award ticket is basically worth 40% off the list price. Hope you booked a year out!

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: UAL is a bad airline which prior to a couple days ago was run by guys who could politely be described as douchebags, and then it was revealed that they were actually criminals, and now a different guy who is probably still a dick (but is less of a dick than Jeff Smisek) is running the joint now.

It's a shame what happened to Continental. I have relatives who have been involved professionally with Gordon Bethune (their CEO who saved the company back in the 90's) and have they nothing but great things to say about him.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you got to recognize that airline programs serve three purposes:

1. Encourage casual travelers to pay a very marginal amount more to use their airline than competition on the one or two flights per year
2. Sell a fuckload of airline miles to credit card companies; by devaluing award tickets and bundling perks with credit cards, airlines are actually able to sell more miles to credit card companies which is virtually all profit
3. Keep elite dollars with the airline. If you're not spending like $10k plus with an airline per year, they really don't give a poo poo about you.

Of these, 2 and 3 are important because they make the airline money. At airline margins, #1 is far less important. It's better to keep one $20k spend elite in the family versus trying to keep $20k of lowest-possible-margin revenue spread across multiple travelers.

Thus you end up in a situation where: Redemption for awards is relatively expensive in miles terms. Low-level status benefits are gradually eroded, and pushed to credit cards. High level benefits continue to be good or even expanded (ground transportation services, etc). The push to revenue-based rewards doesn't (significantly) impact most elites, since they pay a lot of money for tickets anyway.

edit: source: I am extremely bored waiting for my flight home at O'Hare.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 12, 2015

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

If you only fly southwest, there are no perks to be had!

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

A great perk is not having to fly on Southwest.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

They're a pretty good point sink for Chase points, depending on where you fly. I mostly dump points into them or British Airways, depending on availability.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

The companion pass is excellent but that's really about it.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I fly American exclusively because they're the only airline serving my local airport (via American Eagle). I'm 6'2" and "Main Cabin Extra" seats have plenty of legroom for me and the uncharge has never been that bad. Last couple weeks I did 8 segments in a combination of ERJ 145's, MD-80's, and 737's and was quite comfortable slouching in coach.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If you pay $90 for a ticket, do not be surprised at receiving a Greyhound Bus: Sky Edition experience and be in cramped quarters where there may even be *gasp* children on your flight.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Airchat is my least favorite derail so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3dYS7PcAG4

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007
People who derail this thread should be taken outside and shot. Thanks to those of you scouring reddit for genuine content.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

canyoneer posted:

If you pay $90 for a ticket, do not be surprised at receiving a Greyhound Bus: Sky Edition experience and be in cramped quarters where there may even be *gasp* children on your flight.

This is what I tell my colleagues. We're flying swa, it's a sky bus.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
BWM: In Laws Edition - Part 84

So from my last update, parents in law finally agreed to sell their rental which was haemorrhaging money and whose mortgage they could no longer afford to service. This initial GWM decision turned to BWM when they chose the worst rated real estate agents in the area because the daughter of a friend worked there and she would apparently 'take care of them' - this girl being in her very early twenties and having done real estate for less than a year. Net result was a lovely agency auctioning the house in the middle of the week, only one bidder showing up and wondering why he was bidding against himself and having a hung auction because he wouldn't meet reserve.

In Laws panicked and didn't know what to do, so decided to just leave the house untenanted and ignore the issue because it was All Too Hard (and thereby having a budget deficit of $500/week which apparently was not a factor in their decision making despite being raised several times with increasing alarm). Luckily at the point this decision was made my brother in law wrenched control off them, forced the agency to give them a more experienced realtor who was not completely incompetent and talked to the original bidder who was eventually happy to pay above RV after a couple of conditions were met. House sold.

In Laws are thrilled and my mother in law is now planning on how best to burn through this money - I believe long term retirement cash needs are still completely off the table and instead she is still planning two massive Europe trips and also donating a shitload of money to a woman in the USA who hears the voice of god and Obama is actually Satan's son.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Tamarillo posted:

In Laws are thrilled and my mother in law is now planning on how best to burn through this money - I believe long term retirement cash needs are still completely off the table and instead she is still planning two massive Europe trips and also donating a shitload of money to a woman in the USA who hears the voice of god and Obama is actually Satan's son.

You know who they'll thank when they realise they're out of money and eating dog food in their retirement Obama

It's not the worst with money but some guy got a $70k per year job and blew $12000 despite having a lot of debt that's just about in default.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3kjhfw/how_i_wasted_12000_this_past_year_and_what_should/

quote:

$1200 - 1/2 grass fed Cow
$600 - Funko Pops
$500 - Anime boston
$1500 - presents, birthdays and misc

I don't even know what funko pops are.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Devian666 posted:

I don't even know what funko pops are.

They're even better than you could have imagined.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

spoof posted:

They're even better than you could have imagined.

Aw poo poo collectable vinyl toys. They're best kept in their box in a storage room filled with other stuff in their boxes untouched.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I thought they were at least an edible item.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Half a grass fed cow.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I thought they were at least an edible item.

Well this guy would eat anything.
http://funko.com/collections/pop/products/pop-star-wars-jabba-the-hutt

FrozenVent posted:

Half a grass fed cow.

I thought someone had sold them a 1/2 share in a cow as an investment initially.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 12, 2015

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

FrozenVent posted:

Half a grass fed cow.

That's actually Good with Money. Half a cow's like 300+ pounds of beef in various cuts plus you can usually get all the offal and bones you want since most people won't take it.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Merrill Grinch posted:

That's actually Good with Money. Half a cow's like 300+ pounds of beef in various cuts plus you can usually get all the offal and bones you want since most people won't take it.

Unless they basically cored the sucker and he bought the inside half.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Merrill Grinch posted:

But it's Bad with Money because it's a food other than rice and beans. :v:

In other news, be glad you don't have this person's student loans(which will only keep going up because they've gone back to school to become a nurse):

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3kpku7/am_i_completely_screwed_or_is_there_an_eventual/ posted:

Hi, PF!
I hope you can give me some guidance. Throwaway because people know my actual reddit name and this situation is humiliating. :( I just graduated from a private 4-year institution in May 2015 and realized that the financial choice to attend that university was extremely poor, but I didn't understand the effect loans would have in the long-run, and unfortunately my parents didn't either. My loans are currently being deferred because I am still considered a full-time student.

I got a degree that is not marketable with just a BA, (psychology,) so I am currently at a junior college to finish pre-reqs for nursing school. My first quarter is paid off for the junior college, but I will have 4 quarters to pay for (each at about $1,500) after this fall quarter to finish my pre-reqs.
I want to go to an accelerated nursing school in California once I finish my pre-reqs. I'm working as an on-call CNA while I continue going to school, so I have a very small income that varies month to month depending on how much I work. The pay is $11/hr.

My parents were unable to help me pay for college, so I took out private loans. Hindsight is 20/20, but here is where I currently stand.

Private Loan #1: $70,399.09
Interest Rate: 5.49%

Private Loan #2: $36,399
Interest Rate: 5.00%

Federal Perkins Loan: $8,000
Interest Rate: 5.00%

Direct Stafford Unsub. Loan 1: $2,000 (Interest Rate: 4.66%)
Loan 2: $2,000 (Interest Rate: 3.86%)
Loan 3: $2,000 (Interest Rate: 6.80%)
Loan 4: $2,000 (Interest Rate: 6.80%)

Direct Stafford Sub. Loan 1: $5,500 (Interest Rate: 4.66%)
Loan 2: $5,500 (Interest Rate: 3.86%)
Loan 3: $4,500 (Interest Rate: 3.40%)
Loan 4: $3,500 (Interest Rate: 3.40%)

Total Debt: $141,798.09

I do not have any other debt, and I live with my parents. I do not own a car; my sister is allowing my to carpool with her to work. I will eventually have to obtain a car so that I can continue my schooling, but I don't know how I'll ever afford that. :/ My only other expenditure is my cell phone bill, which is $50/month.

My plan is to use the avalanche method to pay down my debt with my eventual RN salary. I'll be an RN in 3 years if my schooling goes as planned. Somehow I'll have to also pay for nursing school, however. Obviously I intend to find the most affordable option there.

How can I afford to eventually get a car and pay for nursing school while I have this undergraduate debt hanging over my head? My 5-year goal is to move to California to live with my boyfriend, he is looking into buying a house and is much more financially stable than I am. We are planning our future together and he has agreed to house/feed me for 2 years while I get through nursing school so my primary expenditure will be my student loans during that time. Once I graduate I will be better able to pay off my loans with my nursing salary.

I know I made a huge mistake in taking out these loans, but I'm trying to move forward responsibly from this point. Any advice on how to get this under control, or am I making a mistake by moving away, or thinking of getting a car? What do I need to prioritize and what do I absolutely have to wait on? I'm open to any advice.

Thank you in advance!!

I know nurses are awesome people and important, but I'm also pretty sure they don't tend to make enough money to repay $141k+ of student loans easily. (Barring forgiveness programs that might be available for the federal loans)

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 13, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

In other news, be glad you don't have this person's student loans(which will only keep going up because they've gone back to school to become a nurse):

I know nurses are awesome people and important, but I'm also pretty sure they don't tend to make enough money to repay $141k+ of student loans easily. (Barring forgiveness programs that might be available for the federal loans)

What he needs to do is flee the country I don't think he understands how much it's going to cost to service those loans and try to study/live at the same time. It's hard enough working and studying at the same time.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Haifisch posted:

IDK about nurses, but there are some loan forgiveness programs for physician's assistants if you work in rural areas. A friend of my sister's is in rural Alaska (as in, a ~3 hour drive to get to the nearest Walmart), I've got another friend going back to school to become a PA that's planning to do the same.

Devian666 posted:

What he needs to do is flee the country I don't think he understands how much it's going to cost to service those loans and try to study/live at the same time. It's hard enough working and studying at the same time.

People toss fleeing the country around a lot, but it's really not applicable to these types: they either have no qualifications or a worthless one (and no relevant work experience), so they're never going to meet immigration requirements unless they find someone dumb enough to marry them.

Some overseas unis are eligible for US loans (there's a list in an Excel document on the DoE's website), I suppose the ultimate con would be going to school on those in a field that's in-demand in the host country, then applying for residency and telling the loan providers in the US to get stuffed. Depending on the person's home state and individual situation paying the overseas tuition may not even be more expensive, especially considering most other English-speaking countries have 3 year rather than 4 year Bachelor's.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 13, 2015

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Haifisch posted:

quote:

My private 4-year school was $36,000/year without factoring in room/board. I didn't have any help from anyone, and no one helped me plan. My parents aren't financially savvy, so that didn't help. There are lots of excuses, but I'm trying to be honest/own up to the situation, so I've laid it all out there. :S

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Could be a repost since I'm reading some months back in the GBS confessions thread, but here ya go if not.

We don't just need to mine Reddit for Bad With Money, we got homegrown!

anongoon posted:

My boyfriend just showed me a house listed online. It's in an area that might be better for job prospects. We absolutely cannot afford it.

He is about $100,000 in debt, most of it school but a decent chunk of it consumer, such as his car that he managed to pay about $9000 over retail for thanks to a bunch of unnecessary stuff.

This is just one of the latest in a series of drastic financial decisions he has proposed. He gets together with his family, who are in even worse financial messes then he is (refinanced mortgages, credit cards in children's names because of terrible credit, dodging collections agencies), and they come up with ludicrous, expensive ideas.

For example, a few months ago he came home and told me he'd spoken with his family and they think we should tear most of our house down... except we cannot afford to do that in the first place and it will be years before we'd be able to rebuild. This was in response to a several thousand repair we had to make.

I live in constant fear about what ideas may come to his/ their heads... despite making more than me, I'm the one who is paying our bills, and I honestly feel like I'm the adult in our relationship. Our house is old and needs some repairs, but everyone who has come in to fix things has told us it's in amazing shape, aside from some cosmetic stuff on the outside.

Also, the car that he's paying an ungodly payment for each month isn't working right after not quite 3 years, so he's planning on going back to the dealership where his buddy sold him the first one to get a new one and just roll the payments.

Despite everything I've tried to tell him, he's convinced his buddy didn't take advantage of him in the first deal.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

The Butcher posted:

Could be a repost since I'm reading some months back in the GBS confessions thread, but here ya go if not.

We don't just need to mine Reddit for Bad With Money, we got homegrown!

I absolutely don't understand how people can stay in relationships like that.

• Locked thread