Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Dalael posted:

Most of the evidence presented by Jim Allen is circumstantial.

This is, at best, a charitable interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Let’s not be ridiculous. Everyone knows Atlantis is Greenland.

Quift
May 11, 2012
I need to hear about that knee myth. How on earth do you interpret that?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

LingcodKilla posted:

So... Has anyone tried using olive oil as lube? I couldnt help but notice while making dinner tonight that it is really hard to get off your hands. I wonder if the ancients had a term for catching you while being guilty of rubbing one off like "I caught you greasy handed".

You mean "oiling the slaves". Why would you use the handcrank when you have slaves. You could fieldtest how it does? For science.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Your entire argument is strawmanning opponents who you think are laughing at you because you dare to bring up Atlantis, appeals to authority and appeals to ignorance, coupled with zero awareness of how broken your (and Jim Allen's) arguments are. People are not laughing because you dare to bring up Atlantis, they are laughing because you present the case so badly and so earnestly.

Please stop bringing this up. You've been forced to fall back on appeals to ignorance twice already this time. Most people just give up on the argument at that point.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Quift posted:

I need to hear about that knee myth. How on earth do you interpret that?

Well you heard of knee-grows right?

Gotta go! Taking the first flight to hell!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dalael posted:

I've said it often already. Most of the evidence presented by Jim Allen is circumstantial. And that is very sad because it proves absolutely nothing.

This right here is the entire problem with his entire "theory". He went looking for a spot that matched Plato's description, then decided that must be it.

I could invent out of thin air a list of 10 geographical references that would describe a particular place. If you went searching around the entire world, you would certainly find some place that matched it, even though I had not been thinking of that place, had never been to that place, and indeed had never even heard of it.

Based on this guy's reasoning, he would declare that that was indeed the exact place I had intended to describe, which would be completely false. It's just pattern-matching, something our brains do very well. We will do it even when no such pattern actually exists.

So "an uncanny collection of matches" by itself means nothing whatever. In fact, it's almost always a sign of a false positive, since when people have made actual connections between descriptions of features of some place and the corresponding real areas, there are always some errors of memory or language. Being too perfect usually means it's wrong.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 12, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Quift posted:

Speaking of myths. Let us all talk about them. Favourite myth and favourite interpretation.

Is there a consensus on whether Cinncinatus was a real person or just a parable?

And not to hard on Judeo-Christians, but the Genesis myth really is hilarious when you think about it. As explained by David Cross: God makes this huge, massive planet; then he decides 'I'm gonna put one dude in there'.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Is there a consensus on whether Cinncinatus was a real person or just a parable?

And not to hard on Judeo-Christians, but the Genesis myth really is hilarious when you think about it. As explained by David Cross: God makes this huge, massive planet; then he decides 'I'm gonna put one dude in there'.

I'm personally convinced that the version of creation in Gen1 is a deliberate parody of the Enuma Elish, with the point being to emphasize to the captive Hebrews why it's better to be Hebrew than Babylonian, to avoid being assimilated into the greater Babylonian culture. Their world was not a huge, massive planet, but a fairly small disc of land maybe 1000 miles across, forming the bottom of an air bubble in a massive primordial ocean.

Gen2 is a completely different story, a version of which had been told around campfires by epic singers for probably 1000 years before being written down.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The myth about how humans were created in the Popol Vuh is nuts. First the gods create men out of mud, but they cannot stand up and are brainless, and they melt and die in agony. Then they try wood, but they turn out to be senseless atheists, so the gods turn them into monkeys. Corn worked, though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The virgin spirit of the air is impregnated by the air, then a duck lays an egg on her knee, then she moves and the egg drops and shatters into the earth, the sky, the stars, and the sun.

After a few centuries she gives birth to the eternal bard. At some points other humans show up?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The virgin spirit of the air is impregnated by the air, then a duck lays an egg on her knee, then she moves and the egg drops and shatters into the earth, the sky, the stars, and the sun.

After a few centuries she gives birth to the eternal bard. At some points other humans show up?

This is actually largely Lönnrot's invention. There's three different Finnish creation myths:

- the diver myth (a primordial god, generally Väinämöinen, falls into the sea and creates the land from the sand at the bottom of it)
- the egg myth (as in Kalevala, except with Väinämöinen instead of Ilmatar)
- the forging myth (Seppo Ilmarinen creates the sky, and possibly what supports it, i.e. the sampo. Kalevala's version is a reinterpretation of it)

The diver myth is the most widespread among the Uralic peoples and considered the earliest. The egg myth is common throughout the world and considered an import. The forging myth is an iron age creation obviously, probably as a radical reinterpretation of an earlier sky god's role. Väinämöinen is an almost omnipotent god in most traditions too, but in Lönnrot's second Kalevala he's merely a culture hero.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Invention sounds a bit more original than combining multiple myths together (isn't the Kalevala version basically the forging myth with imported eggs worked in?), but yea, much of Kalevala diverges a lot from the source material. If you know more about the topic, I'd be very interested.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Waci posted:

Invention sounds a bit more original than combining multiple myths together (isn't the Kalevala version basically the forging myth with imported eggs worked in?), but yea, much of Kalevala diverges a lot from the source material. If you know more about the topic, I'd be very interested.

Well I mean obviously Lönnrot's "problem" was that the stories could never provide a coherent whole, because 1) they were preserved in a large area, from Northern Sweden to the White Sea, and had diverged considerably, and 2) because they consisted of multiple historical layers, where hunter-gatherer mythology was mixed with later agricultural traditions, and they could be superficially contradictory. So Lönnrot couldn't just compile an epic, he had to write one. It's not a criticism obviously, but it should always be kept in mind that the Kalevala flat out is not "authentic" Finnish mythology. Obviously there's an ongoing creative process when stories are passed down, but I think most people would agree that the creative process of the reciters is more "real" than that of an urban author like Lönnrot.

Quift
May 11, 2012
I wrote this for the existance of god debate thread.

Quift posted:

I dont care if you are trolling or not. The story is so brilliant I will walk you through it anyway.

This story is quite foundational for not only my thought but also our society (being our foundational myth). This being my first post in this thread that is not phone posted I will try to articulate things a bit more step by step instead of leaping wildly within my own context. It is also absolutely vital to get this myth before going to the other one. The one about Adam and Eve and a garden.

The princess Europa (name not by chance, this myth talks about the beginning of our culture) walks on the beaches of the Phonecian City of Tyrus .The sky god Zeus turns into a white bulld kidnaps her, brings her to Crete and Rapes her. Her first son is King Minos (The king of the Minoans) who married the Titan Pasiphae who was an ancient Moon Godess (titan).

The White Bull is a symbol not only of virility but also of wealth and fertility. it is one of the most commonly used symbols for wealth. Agricultural wealth. So far we have learned that the first kings of Crete came from the Pheonecian city of Tyrus and that they brought agriculture to Europe and founded the Ciy of Knossos.This is the beginning of Agriculture in Europe and the beginning of a long transformation of the European continent and the spread of agriculture in the Mediterranean Basin. It also talks about the marriage between the Phoenician culture and the local Cretan one to create the uniquely Minoan Culture. The Titans are older gods than the Olympians very much like the differences between the Jotun, the Vanir and the Aesir in Norse mythology. They are primordial meaning that they descend directly from Gaia and Uranus (the earth and the Sky ). So the Titans are from an era before agriculture and represent more ancient concepts. The Olympians arrive to Crete with agriculture and represent concepts that are important in an agricultural context. All this has taken place in the ancient depths of time even in the myth. This is a myth within the myth.

Back to the events. The Rule of Minos was not uncontroversial at the time and his brothers (might be read as either his actual brothers or his subjects.) challenged his rule. King Minos asked the divider of Power, Poseidon to give a sign of his kingship. Poseidon created a beautiful white Bull (again) that walked ashore the island of Crete and everyone saw that Minos was indeed the true King. Minos then refused to sacrifice this Bull back to Poseidon and instead sacrificed a lesser Bull. This sin of royal greed angered the Gods and Poseidon cursed Minos wife Pasiphae and kindled a passionate love in her for the Bull. To mate with the Bull she asked the famous engineer Daedalus (Literally meaning Craftsman) to build her a wooden cow within which she could mate with the bull in secrecy. The result of this unholy union was Minotaur.

To recap. To prove his kingship over his fellow men Minos brought riches and wealth to Crete from across the Mediterranean. Sea power is the divider of powers regal and divine, and brings wealth from across the sea. This is probably both tribute from the rest of Greece and more importantly the Minoan trade networks. The early Kings used their wealth to get power and then betrayed the gods and kept the wealth and power to themselves. Something which was an affront to the Gods. The ancient Cretan culture being so blinded by the riches that they were seduced and slept with a bull (again, wealth). This was done with the help of the craftsman and engineers who dressed the Queen/Moon godess into a cow made our of wood and leather. The result of this corruption was the Minotaur.

Minos now orders Daedalus to build a labyrinth around the offspring of this union. The Labyrinth of the Minotaur. The Minotaur is half human half bull. He is neither a real human (real humans do not live as agriculturalists, nora bull). Every year 7 your men and 7 young women from Athens must be sacrificed to the labyrinth (among other offerings, but the Athenians are important later). This to satisfy the greed of Kings.

Now, remember that this myth talks about the beginning of agriculture in a Greek context. The labyrinth is one of my favorite metaphors. It stands for the City of Knossos and the workings of the social order. So the labyrinth is the economic system of agriculture which supports cities and also kings.The latest incarnation of the symbol is the Matrix. It's basically the same thing.

The architect of the labyrinth (Daedalus) is locked on the roof of the Labyrinth (Which symbolizes the mind of those within it). He builds wings to escape and leaves together with his son. His son believes himself to be a God since he is free but instead dies and falls into the Icarian sea (His actions are forgotten and he doesn't get an actual burial. Which is extremly important to the Greeks). Daedalus then arrives in Athens and gives his knowledge to Athena, the goddess of wisdom. The wisdom of Athena is the forbidden knowledge of the labyrinth. Which is why she is the headache of her father Zeus who represent the world order that requires humans to live in labyrinths. She later gives the solution to the labyrinth to the Athenian youngster Theseus uses this forbidden knowledge to slay the Minotaur and razes the labyrinth. Ie, the agricultural society built by the Minoans and the tribute system they had built over the rest of Greece. Also referred to as the Collapse of the Minoan Civilization.The collapse of the Minoan culture is strongly tied to the [URL=)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Bronze_Age_collapse]Bronze age collaspe[/URL]

Eventually after the Dark ages of Greece the Minoan Culture is replaced by the Greek culture.

So the Myth is about the Birth of European (contra Asian) Culture and society. It is NOT about a god raping princesses. These stories were made to maintain knowledge in a very condensed form in a vocal tradition. The stories were told and retold over centuries and then interpreted and discussed around the fire at night. Every night. To write down the discussion once writing arrived was probably viewed as meaningless. Somewhere the stories are true. They are not only true on a historical level (They talk about actual historical events), but also about the future and the present since history tends to repeat itself. Later iterations contain additions from the later historical events from which new insights could be drawn.

These myths are warnings, history, sociology, philosophy and religion all wrapped into one. They can all be interpreted on several levels and were generally viewed as LITERALLY true by the Greeks who told them. But truth here is defined very differently than in our culture. It is all true, but should not be taken at face value. Our systems of thinking are VERY different from the context in which these stories were meant to be interpreted and all of them are open to plenty of interpretations. The one interpretation above is only one of many possible stories hidden within the myth. There are also a few parallels between this myth and the myth of Ragnarök in a norse context. But that is a separate post.

The ability to read myths becomes important when we are discussing the existance of our current God. The supplantment of the Titans by the Olympians mirrors the latters supplantment by the entity we call God. He exists in the context of the myths that we try to interpret about him but is still subject to change only instead of having a single pantheon changing, merging over time you get the same entity that changes meaning over time. Thus the God of Abraham is not the same as the God of Moses who in turn is not the same as the God of Jesus. All while they are all the same god.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Is there a good book on the history of the Roman empire for somebody who doesn't really know the history and is looking for a starting point?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Last page but this tidbit of conspiracy theory stuff:

Tomn posted:

... and that Chinese treasure fleets kickstarted the European Renaissance.

caught my attention, as I haven't ever heard it before. I guess this is the zheng he fleet and they went all over the place getting goodies and what not, but I hadn't ever heard anyone say they got any farther than what, the eastern african coast? Nothing is jumping out at wikipedia, whats the gist there with the renaissance stuff?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There is a possibly insane possibly cynical person who purports to believe that Zheng He took a fleet to Italy. That's it.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Aw that is too bad, I was hoping there was some elaborate conspiracy theory I hadn't run into yet and could get a crazy book about for my brothers birthday.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is there a good book on the history of the Roman empire for somebody who doesn't really know the history and is looking for a starting point?

that's actually kind of a tough question, its hard to find a good comprehensive source since there is so much out there about the romans. personally I dont think I've even really read one I'd recommend, I've always kinda hopped around between authors focused on particular topics/time periods in the roman republic/empire. I'm sure someone here can offer a good suggestion though.

are you looking for just the history of the empire in particular or roman history in general? I find that reading about the Punic wars is a good start, books about Caesar, and then the civil wars/the end of the republic, Augustus, and the establishment of the empire. Adrian Goldsworthy is a decent jumping off point here.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 13, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Nebakenezzer posted:

I would recommend Roman Empire by Nigel Rodgers. It is a fairly simple book, easy to read which glances over many aspect of the Romans. I believe it to be a really good starting point for someone who knows very little about them and is not looking for something too in-depth.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Quift posted:

This is nonsense. Even putting aside the problem of trying to interpret myths as mangled symbols for real events, the timeframes don't come close to adding up, the symbolism is absurdly convoluted, and you cut through an insane amount of corners. And I don't really understand what point you were trying to make? Did you just want to show off your pet theory?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Ras Het posted:

This is nonsense. Even putting aside the problem of trying to interpret myths as mangled symbols for real events, the timeframes don't come close to adding up, the symbolism is absurdly convoluted, and you cut through an insane amount of corners. And I don't really understand what point you were trying to make? Did you just want to show off your pet theory?

Ugh, rude. Finns.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

No I mean I appreciate his thought in emphasising how myths have a real purpose, but come on, you're not doing anyone a favour by coming up with stories like that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Quift posted:

Citation needed.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

So... Has anyone tried using olive oil as lube? I couldnt help but notice while making dinner tonight that it is really hard to get off your hands. I wonder if the ancients had a term for catching you while being guilty of rubbing one off like "I caught you greasy handed".

Is it weird that the first problem I thought of is that olive oil is too expensive?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Synnr posted:

Last page but this tidbit of conspiracy theory stuff:

caught my attention, as I haven't ever heard it before. I guess this is the zheng he fleet and they went all over the place getting goodies and what not, but I hadn't ever heard anyone say they got any farther than what, the eastern african coast? Nothing is jumping out at wikipedia, whats the gist there with the renaissance stuff?

I'm talking about this guy. He made a big splash with a book that claimed that Zheng He's treasure fleet got to America before Colombus did, even managing to make it to the Caribbean, but his evidence was basically roundly derided as nonsense, despite the book being pretty popular. He followed this up with another book suggesting that same treasure fleets made their way to Italy and the magnificence of it all was what started the Renaissance. And looking at Wikipedia, apparently he capped things off by throwing his hat into the Atlantis ring, too, which is nicely circular.

He's not so much a conspiracy theorist as he is a pseudo-scholar, mind you - less about cover-ups and more about "SHOCKING new revelations!"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

uninverted posted:

Is it weird that the first problem I thought of is that olive oil is too expensive?

What was the poor mans substitute? Rapeseed? Vegetable?

What was their preferred method of cooking food?

gently caress it,someone post roman food recipes im curious about this now.

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 13, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tomn posted:

I'm talking about this guy. He made a big splash with a book that claimed that Zheng He's treasure fleet got to America before Colombus did, even managing to make it to the Caribbean, but his evidence was basically roundly derided as nonsense, despite the book being pretty popular. He followed this up with another book suggesting that same treasure fleets made their way to Italy and the magnificence of it all was what started the Renaissance. And looking at Wikipedia, apparently he capped things off by throwing his hat into the Atlantis ring, too, which is nicely circular.

He's not so much a conspiracy theorist as he is a pseudo-scholar, mind you - less about cover-ups and more about "SHOCKING new revelations!"

I am certain that this thread went through a round of "Did Zheng He reach Cape Breton Island" questioning.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Like us, they imported cheap olive oil from Spain.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nebakenezzer posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Chronicle-Roman-Emperors-Reign-Reign/dp/0500289891

Lots of pictures and diagrams and stuff. It is a very wonderful introduction.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Basically the Ming treasure fleets had a few purposes. The previous Hongwu emperor had closed ports to international trade (such policies and edicts are quite common in China, and they were basically futile attempts in domestic stability). The treasure fleets would therefore re-establish trade with all the smaller kingdoms to the south and west, and signal that China was once again open for business. While the treasure fleets were the big ones, lots of smaller trading vessels would follow in their footsteps.

These ships were expensive, they sure as hell were not going to be used on risky ventures to the east. Them running off to the east exploring nothing of importance would have been a scandal that the Confucian court officials (who by and large opposed these ventures) would have pounced upon.

The treasure fleets also had an unstated purpose: hunt down signs of another claimant to the throne, whose body had never been recovered. The Yongle emperor wasn't the first in line for the throne, and he wanted to nip any counterclaims in the bud.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 15, 2015

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Speaking of mythology, I read this passage the other night and it gave me chills for some reason. It's from Herodotus, Book 2:

"Thus far went the record given by the Egyptians and their priests; and they showed me that the time from the first king to that priest of Hephaestus, who was the last, covered three hundred and forty-one generations, and that in this time this also had been the number of their kings, and of their high priests. Now three hundred generations are ten thousand years, three generations being equal to a hundred. And over and above the three hundred, the remaining forty-one cover thirteen hundred and forty years. Thus the whole period is eleven thousand three hundred and forty years; in all of which time (they said) they had had no king who was a god in human form, nor had there been any such either before or after those years among the rest of the kings of Egypt. Four times in this period (so they told me) the sun rose contrary to experience; twice he came up where he now goes down, and twice went down where he now comes up; yet Egypt at these times underwent no change, either in the produce of the river and the land, or in the matter of sickness and death."

In my head, I always assumed at some point back in the dawns of time, people actually had a basis for thinking the gods walked among men and inspired all those stories. Not, of course, that there were actual gods wandering around, but I just thought there'd have been some powerful dude who through trickery or deliberate illusion convinced people of his divinity, and that passed down through the generations led to the gods of myth. But here's someone saying that in 11,000 years, there's never been a god in human form. Of course, I'm pretty sure the sun never went backwards either, and maybe it's just my ignorance of the origin of myths, but it seems like the time when gods walked as men would have to be before 11,000 years before Herodotus was writing, which makes the myths and the gods way older than I thought they were.

What's our earliest collection of Greek myths, for instance? 500 BC? We don't have anything from thousands of years before that, right?

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.

Nebakenezzer posted:

The short answer is "not really". Rome lasted a long time and different points in time had widely varying internal politics, foreign policies, languages, economic systems, military strategies, and so forth. Researchers and historians tend to get interested in a period or two and write about those quite well, but there isn't really a standout book that covers the whole picture, in my opinion. The clusterfuck at the end of the Roman Republic and the beginning of the Empire is likely to be the period where you'd find the most material, since that's also the period that we have a lot of primary sources from.

I'm not super versed in textbooks, but I've heard good things about The Romans: From Village to Empire.

If you want something a little more popularized, I'd recommend History of Rome or The Mask of Jove. They're both from the 60s/70s and so from the old school (and perhaps a bit dated) -- but they're readable and not as old school as, say, Gibbon or Montesquieu.

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Speaking of mythology, I read this passage the other night and it gave me chills for some reason. It's from Herodotus, Book 2:

"Thus far went the record given by the Egyptians and their priests; and they showed me that the time from the first king to that priest of Hephaestus, who was the last, covered three hundred and forty-one generations, and that in this time this also had been the number of their kings, and of their high priests. Now three hundred generations are ten thousand years, three generations being equal to a hundred. And over and above the three hundred, the remaining forty-one cover thirteen hundred and forty years. Thus the whole period is eleven thousand three hundred and forty years; in all of which time (they said) they had had no king who was a god in human form, nor had there been any such either before or after those years among the rest of the kings of Egypt. Four times in this period (so they told me) the sun rose contrary to experience; twice he came up where he now goes down, and twice went down where he now comes up; yet Egypt at these times underwent no change, either in the produce of the river and the land, or in the matter of sickness and death."

In my head, I always assumed at some point back in the dawns of time, people actually had a basis for thinking the gods walked among men and inspired all those stories. Not, of course, that there were actual gods wandering around, but I just thought there'd have been some powerful dude who through trickery or deliberate illusion convinced people of his divinity, and that passed down through the generations led to the gods of myth. But here's someone saying that in 11,000 years, there's never been a god in human form. Of course, I'm pretty sure the sun never went backwards either, and maybe it's just my ignorance of the origin of myths, but it seems like the time when gods walked as men would have to be before 11,000 years before Herodotus was writing, which makes the myths and the gods way older than I thought they were.

What's our earliest collection of Greek myths, for instance? 500 BC? We don't have anything from thousands of years before that, right?

The earliest possible date for Homer as a (at least semi-mythical) person is estimated at 1102 BC, with around 850 BC being the latest estimated date. Hesiod, the other famous Greek religious poet, is estimated at 750 BC as the earliest date he could have lived. It's supposed that the epics were codified and written down around 700-600 BC, but we have no way of knowing when people started telling stories about these figures or formulating religious ritual around them. I would speculate people weren't telling stories about Achilles in 11,000 BC, though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

For "history of Rome books" I'll make the unusual recommendation of starting with Colleen McCullough. In the course of telling the stories, she shows you the politics of the Roman republic rather than telling you about them. I didn't read all of them, so I can't vouch for the whole series, but the first couple will get you through Marius and Sulla. It's much easier to hang the contents of a nonfiction Roman history book or three onto an existing understanding, even if that base was achieved by historical fiction.

I, Claudius (book or BBC series) also gives you something to start with, but it doesn't do as much for Republican politics as it does for the personalities. I just wish they hadn't decided to translate toga virilis as manly gown.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Re: the origin of gods and myths, I don't think all gods got started the same way. Someone like Aphrodite might have started as a poetic metaphor and gradually became literalized into an actual being to appease and ask for help.

Others may have been real people who gradually became seen as more than human; we know for sure that people like Julius Caesar were real people before they were proclaimed gods, so it's not so absurd to think that there are cases where it was forgotten that the person was human to begin with. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euhemerism

The third possible category, as I see it, is explanations for dramatic natural phenomena. Such gods might start as vague forces that people sought to appease, but gradually became seen more anthropomorphically, perhaps due to association with the other two types of gods.

Edit: A fourth possible type: Gods invented as fictional characters and intended to be read as such, later misunderstood as real. Distinct from the first category because they don't start as a one-word concept; the personality and myths are there from the start. Something like this happens in the modern day in certain subcultures...

Edit: A fifth category: Crazy but charismatic people convince others that the voices in their heads are real.

Edit: Sixth category: Same as the fifth, but the originators of the cult are charlatans instead of madmen. The snake-god Glycon is an actual recorded example of this.

Edit 2: Seventhly, gods could be created to explain rituals. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_and_ritual#Myth_from_ritual_.28primacy_of_ritual.29 Of all the possibilities, this is the one I'm most skeptical of; I can't think of any obvious examples. (Smith's Adonis explanation seems strained.)

Two gods with differing origins might be syncretized into one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyeus suggests that Zeus's king-of-the-gods traits (rule over the sky, etc.) come from a different previous god than his lightning-god traits.

Of course, this is just unscholarly speculation on my part. It would be interesting to read an overview of current scholarship on the matter; the wiki article on Euhemerism, for example, is focused on views held by people in the 19th century and earlier.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 13, 2015

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Robin Lane Fox wrote a book, Traveling Heroes in the epic age of Homer, in which he tries to match the Greek myths about gods and heroes to actual physical places and people that the Greeks, specifically the Euboans, came into contact with during their travels in the 10th-8th century, and how this can transform myths. Its a cool book and the author is a distinguished scholar so unfortunately no theories about Atlantis or Bolivia being the source of the myths.

Quift
May 11, 2012

Ras Het posted:

What I'm trying to show is an example of how a myth can be read. The symbols on the myth are not random but exist in a context which helps us understand the meaning of the symbols. While the symbolism might feel convoluted to you it might have been heavy handed in context. It is difficult to know.

In this case a bit of mangled history.

As stated the history is not meant to be read like we write history today. None of the persons in this myth are actual persons. Minos is all of the minoan kings rolled into one. His wife the people of crete etc. These are like glimpses the later Greeks kept about the minoan civilization which had been gone for hundreds of years.

This is one possible reading. Another reading would look exactly like the matrix movie (fun stuff).

Funnily enough the study of myths is really old. The ancient Greeks did this too and there are plenty of ancient speculation about the meaning is myth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Quift posted:

What I'm trying to show is an example of how a myth can be read. The symbols on the myth are not random but exist in a context which helps us understand the meaning of the symbols. While the symbolism might feel convoluted to you it might have been heavy handed in context. It is difficult to know.

In this case a bit of mangled history.

Citation needed.