Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, just because with clever positioning and forcing the AI to constantly charge my walls I can win with yari doesn't mean its the best way to do so. All those upgrades for yari? Put them on a unit of Katana samurai. Suddenly its much easier and its also way more fun. I love seeing Samurai charge into three or four units of ashigaru and still managing to cut their way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone else enjoying Arena? I always preferred the multiplayer in TW games (the AI never is a real challenge), so I'm digging it.

I like how they encourage playing all the different commanders by giving gold out for your first win with each, it should really keep people playing at all tiers. Games start to get very interesting around tier 4 when cav, siege and traps get added to the mix.

I would prefer more than 3 units per player but oh well. It certainly forces you to rely on teammates, which is what they are going for.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Have they nerfed how much ammo archers get yet? I played after they had "nerfed" them before and I saw an ally's archers firing nonstop for the entire match, none of them seemed to run out.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

dogstile posted:

Have they nerfed how much ammo archers get yet? I played after they had "nerfed" them before and I saw an ally's archers firing nonstop for the entire match, none of them seemed to run out.

Skirmishers still get 999 ammo, but I think it works fine as a game mechanic.

I do not enjoy relying on my teammates to shoot me in the back or camp base with 3 catapults.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I do not enjoy relying on my teammates to shoot me in the back or camp base with 3 catapults.

True story. When it comes to players who use ranged it seems like there are only two extremes: drooling moron or pro savant.

I've seen people clean up with 7k+ points with people spotting for his catapults. Then, in the next game, watch a player get more total friendly kills than enemy by hurling javelins into melee.

Bad melee players tend to just get surrounded and wiped out, which is a much more inoffensive way to be bad.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, I'm not quite sure what he means by "degenerate strategies". The AI isn't very smart a lot of the time such that when they're on the defensive you can pull them into spear walls and when they're on the offensive you can make them attack uphill into spear walls, but I can't really think of a total war game that didn't let you massively exploit the battle AI like that. Or on the campaign map side of things, a total war game that didn't let you massively exploit the fact that you have meta knowledge about the game balance that the devs and thus the AI don't really know.

The average Shogun 2 player with average levels of patience isn't going to be able to hang with all yari ashi and 2 cav on whatever difficulty they can manage--doesn't matter which--until they have their blacksmiths fully on-line, the techs all researched and the buildings all built to give them massive stat boosts. And even if they could, by the time you've done all that your economy should be well enough off that the cost/benefit balance of this unit or that unit doesn't really matter unless you're wanting to fully spam it. It's the same argument for why yari ashi are better--the fact that the stat boosts on anything else is overkill--only applied to why they're not actually better in a meaningful way by that point--their cost efficiency is overkill.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The interesting thing about Shogun 2 is that you can totally break it over your knee but you can do it in so many interesting ways with a minimum of fussing around on the strategy layer.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

shalcar posted:

The last statement is laughably false though, there hasn't been a single Total War where the best unit in every situation hasn't been either the heaviest infantry you could field or the heaviest cavalry you could field. By comparison the fact that the cheapest unit can, in certain very specific configurations and with the right upgrades become incredibly powerful (You can do the same trick to any melee unit mind you, it's just easiest with yari ashigaru) is incredibly well balanced towards various strategies.

The multitude of opinions about which units to use and in what mix that exists in this thread is testament to that and they can all win Legendary, at which point "more powerful" becomes pretty academic.

The heaviest infantry/cav being strongest is mainly true in Rome 2 and even there there's been a rotating cast of wacky broken units to mix it up. RotS and FotS don't fall into that trap. Neither does Napoleon. Atilla isn't as heavy cav dominated as commonly percieved and heavy infantry is easily countered.

Yari Ashigari being "balanced" with other units isn't balanced because, while they might be balanced with other unit in a vacuum, in the actual campaign they want you to put alot of effort into getting something that's ultimately only just as good as what you already had or weaker. You can just skip the investment in those other units, put the time and effort into offense and economy and reach the point where you breakout and can faceroll the rest of the way to victory much sooner. Even if base Yari Ashigari were slightly weaker and fielding them almost exclusively was a losing proposition at some point, the campaign provides easy access to bonuses that almost completely eliminate their weaknesses.

I enjoy screwing around with Hojo Hand Mortars and Katana Heroes as much as anyone but I also know I'm definitely not getting my moneys worth with them and I'm not going to hold up Shogun as a pinnacle of good design. I'd argue that Shogun was the point where a bunch of bad ideas entered the series.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
FotS is all about teching up as fast as possible and building the most expensive army with the most cannons and best rifles. The only reason to build Line Infantry or Spear Levy is because you can't afford something better, even Saber Cav can't hold up to a kneel fire volley with 2 ranks.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
You can indeed to silly poo poo by stacking flat bonuses onto Yari Ashigaru and spamming out swarms of value-priced Pike Samurai. The flat bonuses being applied to fairly small base values on top of an economy that actually forced you to evaluate cost effectiveness meant Ashigaru were much more competitive than their equivalents in other TW games.

Rome actually had a lot of very good cost-effective low-tier units, but the change to % bonuses and weaker bonuses overall means you couldn't pump them up to parity with professionals, and when an empire spanning like a quarter of the known world only gets six armies value isn't the same kind of priority.

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

1) 60LDH-AB27H-BX8K6
2) 9C0TF-5F6D2-QYK5D
3) BGF2E-YZANB-5FYER

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
1) J94C8-LJN7L-P7GKZ
2) ZDDB5-36JDF-955LA
3) GFEBH-Y8W69-0D34I

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
1) VIQMJ-W8C32-H4GLG
2) K0JPN-7287B-GTVHH
3) DGAIY-FAI4F-YT785

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

myschef posted:

1) 60LDH-AB27H-BX8K6

Took this one, thanks!

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
Short question: Why does my heir have the Chosokabe emblem on his portrait in this screenshot? It even says Chosokabe when I mouse over it. I'm playing as Shimazu as you can see.

I can't find anything about it on his character sheet.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Noctis Horrendae posted:

2) ZDDB5-36JDF-955LA

Yoink! Thanks

Keksen posted:

Short question: Why does my heir have the Chosokabe emblem on his portrait in this screenshot? It even says Chosokabe when I mouse over it. I'm playing as Shimazu as you can see.

Perhaps the Shimazu's mailman is a Chosokabe

ozzy8bats
Jul 31, 2012

myschef posted:

2) 9C0TF-5F6D2-QYK5D
Got it. Thanks dawg.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

myschef posted:

3) BGF2E-YZANB-5FYER

I appreciate it!

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I've got both Empire and napoleon in my library and I'm trying to decide which one I'm going to mod up for a go. Is it possible to mod Empire sufficiently that it plays as nice as Napoleon? Any good suggestions for gameplay mods? I don't mind some sperg realism that makes my muskets inaccurate or whatever but since I'll only probably play for a week or so I'd like to get some suggestions before I begin.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

SickZip posted:

Maybe in multiplayer there's balance and room for different opinions about the best unit. In single player, the optimal choice is yari ashigaru, more yari ashigaru, and a couple light cavalry. Literally every other option is slower and weaker. Also, most building choices are a traps and worse then useless. I loved Shogun but it's campaign is the worst in total war in terms of being prone to degenerate strategies.

Considering the wide variety of disparate opinions here, it's pretty clear that there isn't one true way to play. Also, if you're playing Shogun 2 and only building Yari Ashigaru and Light Cavalry then you are playing less than optimally, since you could be building your factional specialty unit and wrecking face with them. Indeed at the very least you could be building Bow Ashigaru (not to mention navies).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

flashman posted:

I've got both Empire and napoleon in my library and I'm trying to decide which one I'm going to mod up for a go. Is it possible to mod Empire sufficiently that it plays as nice as Napoleon? Any good suggestions for gameplay mods? I don't mind some sperg realism that makes my muskets inaccurate or whatever but since I'll only probably play for a week or so I'd like to get some suggestions before I begin.

Here you go.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Keksen posted:

Did you arrange a marriage with the Chosakabe? That's the only thing I can think of.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Great, thanks for that.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

Trujillo posted:

Did you arrange a marriage with the Chosakabe? That's the only thing I can think of.

Oh, yeah. I think his wife was a Chosokabe daughter. Still don't get why he gets their symbol, though. Does it mean he would defect to them if his loyalty dropped too low or something? The emblem being on the wife's portrait would make more sense.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

The ‘Fury of Arminius’ includes a new faction and much more; the Barbarians are coming, and with them a huge number of changes and new content.

Finally the barbarians are in!

I like Arena but i quickly got tired of Rome and Greece being the only choices. Let's hope for some sexy Barbarian and hell, Parthian rosters.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Nice. This was what I was waiting for too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

You should watch The Admiral: Roaring Currents on Netflix. It's a Korean action movie set during the late 16th century invasion of Korea by the Japanese and it is pretty rad. Ships being boarded on 4 sides, ninja snipers, samurai grenadiers, point blank cannon shots, and monks with swastika armor.

It's pretty great and it makes me want simultaneous boarding from multiple ships to be present in the next TW title.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, is Atilla worth 20 bucks? Particularly if I've been enjoying Rome 2 lately?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I see what people mean about the grind in arena now. Does the amount of unit xp scale up as you tier up or do they really expect you to fight 500 battles with the same unit to upgrade them in the last tiers? Seems like 100 xp per unit is the average and some of the higher ups cost 50k to get to. Guess you have to pay if you want those units.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Spiritus Nox posted:

20 USD is slightly less than three hours' work at American Federal Minimum Wage. I would hazard a guess that most folks who enjoy TW-style gameplay would get a minimum of 9 hours of enjoyment out of it even if it turned out that they absolutely loathe the negative-fertility endgame.

So if your ideal toil:entertainment ratio is 1:3-or-less, then yes.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
Currency rates! Arrgh. I waited and waited for a big 50% off sale on Attila and now it's still like $30AU without any of the DLCs because of our lovely dollar. It was literally cheaper at the last 25% off sale I'm sure.

I'm probably still going to buy it BUT I AM BITTER ABOUT THIS STEAM :shepspends:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Frankly posted:

Currency rates! Arrgh. I waited and waited for a big 50% off sale on Attila and now it's still like $30AU without any of the DLCs because of our lovely dollar. It was literally cheaper at the last 25% off sale I'm sure.

I'm probably still going to buy it BUT I AM BITTER ABOUT THIS STEAM :shepspends:

Hearing about this sort of thing makes me glad that our own British Pound(£) is worth around $1.5 each! Take that Australia! Even though I have no idea how my country pulled off having a currency that much stronger than the US dollar, whilst your country... didn't. (Seriously though, I am sorry your currency has such a terrible exchange rate).

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

canyoneer posted:

You should watch The Admiral: Roaring Currents on Netflix. It's a Korean action movie set during the late 16th century invasion of Korea by the Japanese and it is pretty rad. Ships being boarded on 4 sides, ninja snipers, samurai grenadiers, point blank cannon shots, and monks with swastika armor.

It's pretty great and it makes me want simultaneous boarding from multiple ships to be present in the next TW title.

I think simultaneous boarding is already present in Attila. I remember watching melee ships ganging up on their targets, though there's always the chance of your marines jumping into the ocean if the pathing bugs out.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yes.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiritus Nox posted:

It was always worth 20 bucks and now with the recent DLC it's even more worth it.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Does anyone have problems with Shogun 2 on Windows 10? Game resets settings (advisor, etc) after every restart and just crashed on battle.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Looks like there's a Total War Humble Bundle going on right now FYI.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Is Attila worth getting if I didn't really like how Rome 2 felt (both strategically and in-battle) but liked pretty much every TW game before it? To elaborate, I feel like the limited number of armies made the strategic layer feel like I was chasing armies Benny Hill style on the campaign map. I also feel like the units on the main battle lack a sense of weight compared to Shogun 2. Maybe I'm just playing it wrong, but it felt like charges had no impact and that the unit blocks were just kind of grinding against each other just a little too long to be interesting.

I'm probably wrong on all counts, but Rome 2 never really drew me in the way Shogun 2 did so I never really played it for long amounts of time.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

alex314 posted:

Does anyone have problems with Shogun 2 on Windows 10? Game resets settings (advisor, etc) after every restart and just crashed on battle.

Game settings resetting sounds like an issue with permissions on your appdata folder or something so might want to check that out too and make sure you're running as administrator. I don't know how windows 10 handles anything but it's possible the upgrade donkey-ed that stuff up. Deleting the shogun 2 folder in appdata might not be a bad idea if you won't miss anything in it (like saves, online data, etc.).

For crashes, maybe try using dx9 if you aren't already? If they're optimizing for windows 10 they'd more likely than not focus on dx9 first. Same is true if you've swapped to a newer video card recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Gimnbo posted:

Is Attila worth getting if I didn't really like how Rome 2 felt (both strategically and in-battle) but liked pretty much every TW game before it? To elaborate, I feel like the limited number of armies made the strategic layer feel like I was chasing armies Benny Hill style on the campaign map. I also feel like the units on the main battle lack a sense of weight compared to Shogun 2. Maybe I'm just playing it wrong, but it felt like charges had no impact and that the unit blocks were just kind of grinding against each other just a little too long to be interesting.

I'm probably wrong on all counts, but Rome 2 never really drew me in the way Shogun 2 did so I never really played it for long amounts of time.

Attila still has the army caps, but the good news is that you probably won't hit them, as it's a struggle to afford the upkeep on dudes if you're maxing the stacks, even with chaff units!

I feel like the combat in Attila is more interesting than Rome II, part of that is because the enemies you're bumping up against are tough hombres. For most of the game, the troop quality in Hun stacks and Roman stacks outstrip your own unit quality and require you to be more tactically conscious. If you just go straight up and smoosh your lines together, you're going to lose every Hun battle in a bad way.
Troops seem more flighty also, and if you're not careful about morale management, your guys are going to rout at the first opportunity.

I feel like Attila is a good time at $22 (which is the $7 BTA humble bundle price that gives you the coupon to buy Attila at $15). If you didn't like Rome 2 and if $20 is a lot for you to spend on a game, you could wait I guess.